Mata-Nui in Gold and Silver

jeric

Glad to see Bionicle is back.

I took apart my entire g2 collection with the goal of making some sort of combiner and this is what I came up with. However, I had to use 6 pieces that weren't from those sets, notably the t-connectors attaching the thumbs to the hero factory fists. It's essentially a toa base in terms of using the ccbs torso and gearbox to fit the theme of this contest. I'm satisfied with the result considering my parts restriction and this being my first go with ccbs parts, and my first moc in a really long time.

Entry pic

Front

Gallery (when public)

• Upvote 13

Too bad the gallery isn't public yet! I'd love to see this from all angles. An awesome take on Mata Nui. Really creative placement and combination of shells. Armour looks smooth, cohesive and downright epic. Really well armoured for sure! The gold is distributed well, and the little of it present in the overall MoC is used to good effect. Excellent work! 

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg

This guy looks pretty solid and imposing, and I like the clever usage of parts. Nearly everyone uses the new Armour pieces as feet, but I think that you did it right. Overall, Nice job!

wGF2PMb.png

lof_teaser.png

(I'll do this eventually, I swear...)

My BZPRPG Characters

Corpus Rahkshi Characters: Kol Arsenal Swarm Amalgamation

Skyrise Characters: Zavon

This is stunning! Absolutely gorgeous use of all those gold'n'silver™ bits! This guy should be a trophy, not an entry and I really want one :D

• Upvote 1

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Woah, very epic indeed. And this is your first go at CCBS, you say? Impressive. I like the feet extensions especially, and would like to see just how you did them.

The only criticism I have is that the thumbs seem somewhat unnecessary - the fist pieces already have a sort of thumb, so it looks a little strange. Other than that, great job!

00_gaeas_reaper.jpgjrfightmeditatesmaller.gif00_shadowboxer.jpg

Too bad the gallery isn't public yet! I'd love to see this from all angles. An awesome take on Mata Nui. Really creative placement and combination of shells. Armour looks smooth, cohesive and downright epic. Really well armoured for sure! The gold is distributed well, and the little of it present in the overall MoC is used to good effect. Excellent work! 

-NotS

I forgot how long b-shelf takes to upload photos, it's been too long. I originally had it so that the entire legs were silver but ran out of the armor pieces. The thighs being gold added just the right amount of contrast I think. Thanks for the reply!

This guy looks pretty solid and imposing, and I like the clever usage of parts. Nearly everyone uses the new Armour pieces as feet, but I think that you did it right. Overall, Nice job!

Thanks! I was thinking of inserting a fist piece on the bottom of the armor as toes but couldn't think of a way to connect them. It would look like he's wearing sandals that way but would have made the feet look more solid.

This is stunning! Absolutely gorgeous use of all those gold'n'silver™ bits! This guy should be a trophy, not an entry and I really want one :D

If you have all the g2 sets you could definitely remake this guy (along with a couple of other common pieces). Thank you!

It's a shame there's no G2 style Ignika yet, but I think using the gold mask of fire is brilliant considering Mata Nui's symbol was a hau in the early days.

You've done a bang up job on this, jeric!

I was originally going to name it Akamai but I couldn't make good weapons in time. Mata Nui was my second choice :)

Woah, very epic indeed. And this is your first go at CCBS, you say? Impressive. I like the feet extensions especially, and would like to see just how you did them.

The only criticism I have is that the thumbs seem somewhat unnecessary - the fist pieces already have a sort of thumb, so it looks a little strange. Other than that, great job!

I really dislike how the thumb is molded on fist pieces so I settled on this to make it more realistic and less flat. It does look strange in some poses I admit but in others I think it looks decent. I used the T beam found in LoSS to connect the standard foot piece to the armor. I used way more pieces than I thought I would to connect the heel shell to the rest of the foot. Thanks for your reply!

Mata Nui....

Has Risen.

This MoC is an excellent take on what Mata Nui would have looked like had his body been created in the Matoran Universe back in G1 rather then on Bara Magna, and is actually pretty close to what I imagined him looking like when I was a child.

The MoCs for the contest with these new pieces look really cool, I need to buy a couple of sets.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

While this is certainly impressive, I fail to see any real similarity to the character it is supposed to be a reimagining of. Perhaps you should have stuck with grey/silver only, and, dunno, use an old Toa head for, well, the head. Maybe I'm just too picky, he is cool and all, but just doesn't seem Mata Nui to me.

I have to say I really like the look of this build - and there's some great layering of CCBS armor going on. From the front it looks excellent; the gold isn't haphazard, either, it really feels like "extra" armor. The Hau is the perfect choice, as the new masks go, since it was always symbolic of Mata Nui back in the day.

I have to admit I always try avoiding building in the metallic colors, mostly because I felt like Generation 1 of Bionicle had way, way too much silver after the Toa Nuva and Bohrok Kal introduced it to the line. But here, there's a good blend and it pairs nicely with the yellow-gold.

I have to say, though, CCBS really doesn't do any favors to the backside (of creations like this or the sets, honestly) - all the exposed pins and technic holes really detract from it. Granted, they're not visible from the front, but they're still there. Honestly I'm impressed that it came out so well when you limited yourself just to the newer sets - I wouldn't have guessed there was enough metallic armor in the lot to build a titan this big.

Certain poses really make that thumb configuration look great - but I do wish the connecting piece came in black. The light gray is a bit jarring, but there's only so much one can do with limited colors...

The other nitpick I guess I could point out is the way the shoulder has to rotate to get that epic pose from the entry image. While the picture itself is perfection, I can't help but feel like from another angle that left shoulder (his left) would look unnatural. 

I really like the feet - they remind me of 2001 Toa's feet somehow, slightly like Pohatu's in particular with the way the silver comes out front. The gauntlets are a neat trick, too; I really need to start trying to use CCBS armor with mid-axle ball joints like that. CCBS just seems made for that kind of connection.

Great work, and good luck in the contest!

-Tesser

banner.jpg

Mata Nui....

Has Risen.

This MoC is an excellent take on what Mata Nui would have looked like had his body been created in the Matoran Universe back in G1 rather then on Bara Magna, and is actually pretty close to what I imagined him looking like when I was a child.

The MoCs for the contest with these new pieces look really cool, I need to buy a couple of sets.

I always imagined Mata-Nui clad in shining armor. Glad you liked it!

Brillant creation! It's perfect!

Thanks!

Very nice, but you don't need to ONLY use parts from the 13 new sets.

I know, but with the amount of free time I have and my other sets scattered about, this is the best I could do.

He's a beauty man. Like a lot have said, thats pretty much how I thought the big MN would look when I was little

Thanks bro, really appreciate it.

While this is certainly impressive, I fail to see any real similarity to the character it is supposed to be a reimagining of. Perhaps you should have stuck with grey/silver only, and, dunno, use an old Toa head for, well, the head. Maybe I'm just too picky, he is cool and all, but just doesn't seem Mata Nui to me.

I feel like grey/silver have been overused to depict Mata-Nui. With the g2 sets having a wealth of silver and gold parts, I couldn't pass up the chance to tinker with the new armor pieces and show off their versatility. I always disliked the old bare heads by themselves and although the g2 skulls are more pleasant to look at, it doesn't fit in with the rest of the moc, and more importantly the g1 heads don't match the theme of this contest.

Gah you took my idea and made it better! And my chances of wining go down another notch :P

Seriously though, amazing.

Thank you! Best of luck!

I have to say I really like the look of this build - and there's some great layering of CCBS armor going on. From the front it looks excellent; the gold isn't haphazard, either, it really feels like "extra" armor. The Hau is the perfect choice, as the new masks go, since it was always symbolic of Mata Nui back in the day.

I have to admit I always try avoiding building in the metallic colors, mostly because I felt like Generation 1 of Bionicle had way, way too much silver after the Toa Nuva and Bohrok Kal introduced it to the line. But here, there's a good blend and it pairs nicely with the yellow-gold.

I have to say, though, CCBS really doesn't do any favors to the backside (of creations like this or the sets, honestly) - all the exposed pins and technic holes really detract from it. Granted, they're not visible from the front, but they're still there. Honestly I'm impressed that it came out so well when you limited yourself just to the newer sets - I wouldn't have guessed there was enough metallic armor in the lot to build a titan this big.

Certain poses really make that thumb configuration look great - but I do wish the connecting piece came in black. The light gray is a bit jarring, but there's only so much one can do with limited colors...

The other nitpick I guess I could point out is the way the shoulder has to rotate to get that epic pose from the entry image. While the picture itself is perfection, I can't help but feel like from another angle that left shoulder (his left) would look unnatural. 

I really like the feet - they remind me of 2001 Toa's feet somehow, slightly like Pohatu's in particular with the way the silver comes out front. The gauntlets are a neat trick, too; I really need to start trying to use CCBS armor with mid-axle ball joints like that. CCBS just seems made for that kind of connection.

Great work, and good luck in the contest!

-Tesser

Thanks for the in depth review! The hau really is the most royal looking mask so far imo. The other masks either don't suit this moc's body style or won't allow the silver horn piece to be attached. As for the self-imposed set restriction I felt that it helped in terms of this contest's theme. This forced me to showcase the g2 style and feel, including the messy looking backside. I could have used onua's large silver torso shell to cover it up better now that I think about it. Excuses aside, I'm glad you like the armor placement. The skull spider masks had the perfect round shape to use as biceps and I'm happy someone noticed the feet as a shoutout to g1 pohatu.

One thing I forgot to mention in the op was that the gear can be slid forwards to engage the gear function. A tad useless considering there are no weapons but just a "feature" I wanted to include.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this is a amazing looking MOC  but I don't like that it is called Mata-Nui, even with the reboot I don't see Mata Nui being silver and gold and having a hau.

Anyways the arm and legs are great looking and love the use of the new armor pieces and HF armor, but the arms on the back are odd a little. The body is pretty good but the back is not that good looking, plus open balljoint, I think it would be good to at least add a HF body armor on the lower back. The color scheme are great, even that I don't like gold and silver mixing together but those color alone without any other color is better (just ignore the back :P)

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube