Galidor?!

tfg1_grimlock

Anyone remember Galidor and does anyone consider it to be a sub theme of Bionicle?

I just wanted peoples though and opinions on the Line because the new Star Wars Heads from the Create a Hero sets remind me of what Galidor use to be. 

• Upvote 2

Please visit my Flickr at www.flickr.com/tfg1_grimlock for my photography and MOCs.

Please visit my Instagram at www.instagram.com/tfg1_grimlock for other Lego Posts.

I don't think anyone ever considered it to be a sub-theme to BIONICLE.

These days it's mostly just used as a punchline, so get ready for a billion "lol, galidor" posts.

As far as LEGO lines go it was pretty sub-standard, but it still had its positives too.  Even though they were super specialized, the pieces were neat and I'm still looking for ways to integrate them into future creations.

Also, I think you'll find that "uses human-shaped heads" will be the only similarity between the Star Wars constraction sets and Galidor, so I'm left wondering why so many people immediately jump to that comparison.

• Upvote 2

OpAXNpl.jpg

Galidor used the click hinge connections for the limbs similiar to those used in the Bahrag legs, the Knights Kingdom figures, Exo Force limbs, and other current-day mechs. The new Star Wars characters are primarily ball joint, more like Hero Factory and Bionicle, and the heads closer assemble the Super Heroes Ultra Builds, Ben 10 characters, and Chima Ultra Builds. LEGO has done buildable characters before with moderate success, but Galidor is the big flop that constraction-haters probably love to point out the most.

:music:

• Upvote 2

I don't think anyone ever considered it to be a sub-theme to BIONICLE.

These days it's mostly just used as a punchline, so get ready for a billion "lol, galidor" posts.

As far as LEGO lines go it was pretty sub-standard, but it still had its positives too.  Even though they were super specialized, the pieces were neat and I'm still looking for ways to integrate them into future creations.

Also, I think you'll find that "uses human-shaped heads" will be the only similarity between the Star Wars constraction sets and Galidor, so I'm left wondering why so many people immediately jump to that comparison.

I guess, what 'm trying to make a point is the heads and limps are pretty similar to the way clock joints were used and more or less shaped future sets like Buzz Light Year or Ben 10.

I welcome the LOLs that are associated with Galidor but I was trying to see what people might think of the heads for the Star Wars figs, could those be used like the use for Galidor's head or the alien heads? I mean I enjoy the super hero heads in the Marvel and DC construct a Hero Lines. 

Galidor used the click hinge connections for the limbs similiar to those used in the Bahrag legs, the Knights Kingdom figures, Exo Force limbs, and other current-day mechs. The new Star Wars characters are primarily ball joint, more like Hero Factory and Bionicle, and the heads closer assemble the Super Heroes Ultra Builds, Ben 10 characters, and Chima Ultra Builds. LEGO has done buildable characters before with moderate success, but Galidor is the big flop that constraction-haters probably love to point out the most.

:music:

I could think of many other lines from Lego that flopped harder than Galidor but hes a great example. 

I also thoroughly enjoy Galidors Head and the use I've seen people MOC with. 

Please visit my Flickr at www.flickr.com/tfg1_grimlock for my photography and MOCs.

Please visit my Instagram at www.instagram.com/tfg1_grimlock for other Lego Posts.

Anyone remember Galidor and does anyone consider it to be a sub theme of Bionicle?

I just wanted peoples though and opinions on the Line because the new Star Wars Heads from the Create a Hero sets remind me of what Galidor use to be. 

I vaguely remember a couple scenes from the Galidor TV show, but aside from that I don't remember much from the line. That being said, I still wouldn't consider it a sub-theme to Bionicle. (And I bet the Star Wars constraction sets are better than the Galidor sets too. :) )

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

LOL, Galidor.  :P

But anyway, at the time Lego was just innovating too much and it needed to be stopped. Also, there were things like EXPLORE which were even more outright failures than the garbage people call Galidor. I don't own one (And not entirely sure I want to). I'm not sure I ever saw them in the store. I'm not even sure how long ago that was (2005?) I feel like comparing Galidor to Bionicle would be like comparing the game Skylanders to Disney Infinity. Iv'e seen people play both. I mean, both have to same exact concepts (Putting "toys to life") But they are different in well, one is Disney and one is random. I feel like Galidor and Bionicle shouldn't be that widely compared.

cringe

Galidor (from what I understand) was created because lego thought that if they dropped regular bricks and technic they would make money again, so no it was pretty much created with the intention of being nothing like lego so I don't consider it a sub theme of bionicle. And as far as I'm concerned galidor was one of the dumbest things lego ever did, "hey I know how to make money, let's appeal to everyone but our fans", yeah great logic there lego, not to mention the market for solid regular action was already taken so I don't see how lego thought they could compete. 

It's time to move on.

Galidor (from what I understand) was created because lego thought that if they dropped regular bricks and technic they would make money again, so no it was pretty much created with the intention of being nothing like lego so I don't consider it a sub theme of bionicle. And as far as I'm concerned galidor was one of the dumbest things lego ever did, "hey I know how to make money, let's appeal to everyone but our fans", yeah great logic there lego, not to mention the market for solid regular action was already taken so I don't see how lego thought they could compete. 

Yeah, because Lego wanted to be invested in Kid's who hate building, while still retaining some small part of that.

cringe

Yeah, because Lego wanted to be invested in Kid's who hate building, while still retaining some small part of that.

I'm pretty sure those kids would have already been into transformers or he-man or something, again I don't see why lego even bothered with that. 

• Upvote 1

It's time to move on.

Galidor was pretty silly. It kinda perplexed me though because it felt so far from what I loved about Lego. It was basically Lego trying to reach out to kids who didn't like building stuff. I never really got into it, I remember getting one of the toys for a birthday present or something and I messed around with it, I thought some of the other sets looked interesting, but I never got around to buying them because as a kid, I had to ask my mom or dad to take me shopping for toys and it was harder to come buy money as a kid so I ususally tried to get all the new Bionicle sets before dabbling in other kinds of toys. I never really found Galidor in stores and even then as a kid I felt like I'd be better off just saving up for when the next Bionicle wave came out.

• Upvote 2

-BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER-

I honestly thought Knight's Kingdom was pretty cool as a kid, until I recently rebuilt one of the figures. While the limbs from Knights and Galidor seem to have less of a tendency to get loose, my god trying to pose one of those toys is a nightmare. They should have stuck with the ball and socket system.

-BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER-

Galidor, (together with Knight's Kingdom) are absolutetly my less liked Lego franchises, the whole concept has always been so unappealing to me. And the setting / design is just hideous.

I would never consider it a sub theme, in my opinion only Slizers and Roboriders would fit that spot :)

While I personally never knew directly of these Galidors or what they are (were) supposed to be, only heard of them, I disagree with what you said. Knights Kingdom was nice, really, really nice (for me at least). And it wasn't just constraction figures, they were backed by appealing Castle-themed playsets. Not to mention that the figures provided many interesting armor parts for MOCing. Oh, and swords too.

Edited by Millennium
  • Upvote 3

Yeah, Knights Kingdom II was the original constraction + minifig-scale landscape combo theme, a path which Hero Factory and Chima have both followed. It also had the most complete story of any Castle theme that came before (and possibly since). It deserves credit at least for actual innovation.

And the swords were indeed very cool :P

• Upvote 2

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

I still use the Knights Kingdom swords for MOCs, and they are very nice.

On the topic of Galidor, I have most of the figures. Sure, they're not great, but they're not terrible. They're better than the cheap knock-offs of Bionicle not made by Lego, and at least they had some creativity put into them. Some of the parts and designs are pretty nice to have, and I would like to look back through my collection to see if I can repurpose any of the parts. But I must agree now that it was not the best theme for Lego to take on.

On a side note, I feel like the only really cool thing to come out of Galidor was the egg ship

Edited by Fordianl
  • Upvote 1

Oh boy, here we go... :P

I actually have one of these at home on my shelf. Well, I did anyway, now I've decapitated it and I'm trying to work the head into an upcoming MOC of mine, mainly just to prove that all pieces are compatible with each other, even if they do look rather... well, you know what I mean. :P

Also another element of Galidor's utter failure which surprisingly nobody has mentioned so far is the god-awful TV show that went with it. Just to show you how bad it is, here is the first episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQKm689yuBU&safe=active

FUN FACT: When Nick tapes an old-school camcorder to his head and flings himself down the nearest mountain on a bike, it leads directly to the invention of the GoPro camera  :P

ANOTHER FUN FACT: The EGG ship is a rip-off of the TARDIS. Just think about it, it's a Blue spaceship that's bigger on the inside. Coincidence? I THINK NOT! :P
  • Upvote 1

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams

Twitter Flickr

Oh boy, here we go... :P

I actually have one of these at home on my shelf. Well, I did anyway, now I've decapitated it and I'm trying to work the head into an upcoming MOC of mine, mainly just to prove that all pieces are compatible with each other, even if they do look rather... well, you know what I mean. :P

Also another element of Galidor's utter failure which surprisingly nobody has mentioned so far is the god-awful TV show that went with it. Just to show you how bad it is, here is the first episode:

FUN FACT: When Nick tapes an old-school camcorder to his head and flings himself down the nearest mountain on a bike, it leads directly to the invention of the GoPro camera  :P

ANOTHER FUN FACT: The EGG ship is a rip-off of the TARDIS. Just think about it, it's a Blue spaceship that's bigger on the inside. Coincidence? I THINK NOT! :P

Yeah, it's from the TARDIS, most defiantly. In fact, TARDIS stands for Time And Relitive Dementions In Space.  :P

• Upvote 1

cringe

Oh my goodness. I remember being curious about the show back when the theme was new -- I don't know what I expected, but this...There are no words for this. It's by far the most 90s thing the early 2000s ever produced, glorious and horrifying. I might have to keep watching just to satisfy my morbid curiosity -- it's like a grisly trainwreck from which you just can't look away. In short, a true national treasure.

I'm also really jealous of Nick having that sort of internet speed in freaking 2002, when my family still had dial-up :P And I wish I'd known you can get a massive database of mysterious alien runes just by searching "Ancient Symbols" on Yahoo :lol:

also re:the Egg Ship, it's just hilariously ironic that they thought they were paying homage to a one-time cult classic already fading into obscurity, only for said show to be resurrected just three short years later. This also makes me wonder if, given 10-20 more years, we will begin to appreciate late 90s/early 00s CGI as "campy" in the same way we can now appreciate classic Doctor Who's green bubblewrap costumes and cardboard setpieces.

Lastly, I can't help but feel sorry for the two kids in the lead roles, whose acting careers probably shriveled as a direct result of this miasma. Wonder how they're doing now

• Upvote 2

bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

Lastly, I can't help but feel sorry for the two kids in the lead roles, whose acting careers probably shriveled as a direct result of this miasma. Wonder how they're doing now

I went ahead and Googled them. Nick's actor is still in acting and he's in some movies that are currently in pre-production. As for the girl, she hasn't appeared anywhere in almost five years.

• Upvote 2

mindeth the cobwebs

I remember the sets and TV Show quite well, and I never got too into it. But I think they did help me get into Bionicle by having me be a bit familiar with Technic pieces.

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

After watching the first episode after so long, I can say that this is one of the best 90s kids' shows out there. That is IF IT WAS MADE IN TEH 90s! This is comparatively terrible for 2002! I feel bad for watching this, and now I feel bad for anyone else who has or wishes to watch this.

(At least Jimmy Neutron still holds up pretty well)

• Upvote 2

I'm pretty sure those kids would have already been into transformers or he-man or something, again I don't see why lego even bothered with that. 

Well honestly I mean Lego loves money regardless if something was a failure or not. Lego has made many a line that was a flop. I still agree that Lego was going in the incorrect direction with the line and the TV series but at least we can use the parts even in everyday builds. Esp the head piece, Im using it for a build atm too. 

Galidor is Love.

Galidor is Life.

GALIDOR!