BBC Contest #69: ‘Tracker’ and his Ice Bull(dog)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzbiLSL4PKJAdTJoMjZsOGVmNGc/edit

An Ice Bull, and his pet Tracker. :D

I thought I’d build a less popular character for this contest. I have quite a limited selection of CCBS pieces (not to mention the new Bionicles aren't even out in my country yet), so I chose Tracker primarily because Gunmetal and White are the colours I have the most pieces of (‘most of’ just meaning pretty much every piece that is on them – count them with your fingers).

Although when these started to shape, they really grew on me as pretty neat characters in their own right. 

I had such a blast building these, particularly the Bull. I usually avoid CCBS entirely in my creations, not just because I don’t have much of it, so this was an experience that I found educational and it’s one I’m glad to have had. However, old habits do die hard, and I’ll admit that my use of CCBS was pretty stingy compared to some of the others entries. Particularly on the bull.

This guy wouldn’t exactly be something that leaps to mind by mere mention of ‘name’, so just to recap: Tracker was a fan-made model originally built for the 2005 Dark Hunter competition, and it was made canon by Greg and then given a place in the story, however insignificant.

I don’t believe he was ever involved in any of the important events, and he didn’t get to say much. Such is life as a supporting character. Ho hum.

“Tracker received his moniker due to his excelling ability to locate targets with his pet bull. Given a minute trace of the target in question, Tracker and his bull can discover them despite their attempts to hide or run away.

Apart from his tracking skills, Tracker also has tremendous strength, and his bull's horns have the power to dissolve solid matter.”

http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Tracker

Here’s my Model-specific Thought Process behind these two. I think I’ve said whatever else I have to say, so don’t feel compelled to read all of this if you’re one of those kinds of people.

---------

As Tracker was originally a fan-made creation, I did take the liberty of refining some aspects of them to a greater degree than most others have; both so that they better reflect their core characteristics and so their construction is brought to the modern standard somewhat – something I’ll admit the CCB System is capable of doing very nicely. 

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzbiLSL4PKJARUJpSFc0RnQ5cGs/edit

Tracker is at core a humanoid, but one who I tried to make animalistic and bestial. Aspects such as a flanderized upper torso (as he was described as ‘Tremendously strong’), long ‘chicken legs’ (hey, if his knees were inverted, that’s free licence for ‘chicken legs’ to become, amirite? ;)  ) and a reworked head were the main things I tried to incorporate in order to suggest that.

Though it’s not that obvious from the photos, I used CCBS bones and torsos quite heavily in his ‘skeleton’. I quite like the control over proportions and angles that the bones can give without omitting structural integrity. Eh, to a degree, anyway. :P

I refined his colour scheme to Gunmetal, black and dark grey, as I found that those are the ones that were the most dominant on the original. I think a sometimes massive part of conserving a Bionicle’s identity really comes with conserving significant parts, and thus I kept bits like the gunmetal Rahkshi shells, his ‘claw and two-bladed sword’, and the Guurahk spines, although I admit that I invoked a bit of creative flair with a few of them. He's has a few more Gen-1 Bionicle pieces than I would have liked, but if I count the 'bones' that I used heavily it actually works out to a 50-50-ish ratio.  ^_^

Think of him as an armoured gorilla-satyr who happens to be a professional killer.  Scary.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzbiLSL4PKJAMXBoWkZkcUlDVzA/edit

His bull really is more than just the bull that we mere mortals on this earth are familiar with. One: It is of floopin ICE, hence my applications to his tail, neck-scruff and hooves.

Two: From his status as a ‘pet’ that I’d imagine would do his fair share of sniffing, listening and hunting, it would be more sensible for him to be a dog rather than a bull.

And thus: He is an Ice BullDog.

At core he’s still a bull: he’s got his horns and his hooves, and I tried to make him barrel-chested and thick around his forward section. But at the same time I pressed myself to keep his entirety compact and athletic, and spun some canine elements into his construction. And in my opinion the head is way more dog than bull, even with the horns.

A Cryo Can-Bov-ine. With Mixel eyes. We have those, right?

I quite like the contrast that both figures have. Trackers a hulking, marauding, intimidating beast-man, while the Ice Bull is lean, small, unassuming, and definitely has that 'cute' factor. Yet I think that's great! After all, Tracker is the Dark hunter - the Bull's just the poor thing who follows in his steps.

---------

Criticism is more than welcome! 

Edited by Poor Disadvantaged
  • Upvote 6

Links don't work. You have them set to private. Might want to fix that.

Woah, that could have been bad. Thanks for the heads up - it should be fixed now?

Yes, much better!

I loved the contrast you have between the two. The Big, dark, and serious-looking Tracker, and then the bright, comically cute bull(dog).

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Thanks! :D I find it pretty funny how it's nearly purely the Mixel eyes that make the Ice Bull so endearing.

I'm a bit new here, so the contest doesn't happen to have a complete ban on those bits, right? Because if I were the guy running it, I would make it my utmost mission to ensure that they must never see the light of day. :P

I'm sorry that the pictures on Google Drive are so limited in both number and quality (the entry photo looks terrible - I have no idea why I chose those two :(), so for a far more cohesive impression of them both I'd highly recommend checking out their MOCpages page here.

I'm really looking forward to seeing who ends up on top in this one. I personally don't see any entries which are ridiculously outstanding (might be due to the short-ish time allocated), and I've identified about six which I think equally deserve a win.

Edited by Black Six