Energized Protodermis Variants

I was looking at the Dark Hunter Phantom's biography and noticed this:

After many experiments, including exposure to an Energized Protodermis variant, Phantom gained a variety of new powers and abilities.

Variant? As if Energized Protodermis isn't complicated enough, it also has variants?

Strangely, I searched for other instances of 'energized protodermis variant' on the wiki and it seems it was only ever mentioned in  reference to Phantom. Not even the EP page itself says anything about variants, except that one was used to create Phantom.

So I'm wondering... how does one create a variant of energized protodermis? I don't expect mixing it with anything would work, as it would simply evaporate or alter any liquid you pour into it. Or would it? Personally, I think it would make more sense to forget the variant thing entirely and assume he was just exposed to normal energized protodermis. But I would like to come up with a canonical explanation, just the same.

00_gaeas_reaper.jpgjrfightmeditatesmaller.gif00_shadowboxer.jpg

It was stated in some of the books and serials before that EP was in some way a sentient being (or the "Entity"). Maybe the variant is another one of those entities, or just a form of EP that was manipulated, much like how a chemical can be diluted or concentrated in a solution.

lol idk :P

• Upvote 2

It was stated in some of the books and serials before that EP was in some way a sentient being (or the "Entity"). Maybe the variant is another one of those entities, or just a form of EP that was manipulated, much like how a chemical can be diluted or concentrated in a solution.

lol idk :P

I'd say this is the best answer. Phantom was modified by his fellow Nynrah Ghosts, so I would imagine that they did some chemical work on the EP and created a controlled laboratory variant, rather than using a natural variant.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

It wouldn't be the first time Greg has introduced some sort of imaginary chemistry to the series. Weren't the Bohrok-Kal created using some "variant" of Visorak venom? There are so many things that mutate people in the Bionicle mythos that I can see them being added to EP to make it behave differently (viruses, Visorak, Rhotuka, Core Energy). Ultimately, because Phantom was a science experiment, I'm willing to bet this mysterious substance was artificially made.

• Upvote 3

It wouldn't be the first time Greg has introduced some sort of imaginary chemistry to the series. Weren't the Bohrok-Kal created using some "variant" of Visorak venom? There are so many things that mutate people in the Bionicle mythos that I can see them being added to EP to make it behave differently (viruses, Visorak, Rhotuka, Core Energy). Ultimately, because Phantom was a science experiment, I'm willing to bet this mysterious substance was artificially made.

Not Visorak venom, no. The brief description of the "kal substance" made it sound more like Energized Protodermis. We know EP was channeled near the Bohrok access tunnels inside Mata Nui's face, and the Toa Metru encountered a number of loose pools of the stuff. Visorak venom would not work, since the Visorak were never around the Bohrok tunnels. The only way that could have worked is if Teridax introduced a sample of it to the Bahrag. If the "kal stuff" wasn't some other unknown substance, then EP is more likely.

Edited by The~1st~Shadow

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Obligatory Bohrok-Kal information:

2) Does Visorak venom do anything to Kraata or Krana?

2) It could, if used on them, yes, since they are organic.

9. Is it possible for the Bahrag to make more Bohrok-Kal?

9) Yes

5. What was the substance used to mutate the Bohrok and Krana to the Kal variations?
5) Hasn't been revealed 

5. Will this substance be relevant to the storyline? If not, how are you going to reveal it?
5) I see no need to reveal it, since I am not planning any Bohrok-Kal stories. The Kal were the worst-selling sets we ever did and I prefer they stay gone.

4. Were the Bohrok-Kal transformed by the Bahrag, and if so, how? If not so, how? And when?

Yes, they were, ages ago. They were mutated.

I have a question. It is my understanding that the combined forms of three beings is called a Kaita, but could you confirm these terms:

Kal- Beings altered by powers other than Protodermis, eg. Bohrok-Kal

And yes, your terminology is accurate.

Greg

1.) How could the Bohrok-Kal be mutated when they are basically robots? Mutation is something that happens to living organisms.

Well, first off, there is precedent in comics for "robots" being mutated -- it happened to the Sentinels from X-Men due to solar flares once. And virtually everything on Mata Nui is biomechanical, even if not living as we understand life.. remember, they are always referred to as "artificial life," which means they can be mutated.

8. How were the Bohrok-Kal "mutated?"

Probably by a combination of energies. 

Hey GregF: Just one question...

5. I forgot if this has been answered, but are Bohrok Kal just elite Bohrok, or are they created through EP or another substance?

5) Bohrok-Kal are mutated Bohrok, but there is no proof that EP had anything to do with their mutation

You answered that for someone else, but when I asked you this back in '03 when the Kal came out, you said that they were created by a mixture of the Bahrag's energies and Energized Protodermis. So, what is the story reason behind this?

-TOoMN-

How about the fact that you asked me three years ago, and can't reasonably expect me to remember what I answered three years ago?

The Encyclopedia states that how they were mutated is a mystery, but that it is rumored the Bahrag distilled energy from a mutagenic substance, possibly Visorak venom or some variation of that.

The Encyclopedia has might be good enough here. I back checked that member who made that last post, The Order of Mata-Nui, back to 2003 in the Discussion and I didn't find the corollary, so he could be mis-remembering.  

Then we get this: 

when i was reading the comic when the bohrok-kal first appeared, i woundered, how where they created? i know makuta created the normal bohrok, but how did he make them so diffrent? and so more intelligant? i strange thought crossed my mind, did 6 bohrok fall in protodermis, the same thing that changed the toa into toa nuva?

Makuta did not create the Bohrok. The Kal were created by the Bahrag, using a mutagenic substance. EP was not involved.

In any case, later Greg forgetconned a lot of what the original answers said above, which is probably why BS01 is so vague. 

• Upvote 1

Good info, to be sure, but Visorak venom seems far less likely than EP, given their uses. Visorak venom has a tendency to instill more monstrous traits on the recipient. EP, in the case of the Nuva, has shown the potential to give greater power. Considering that Visorak venom would have been created alongside the Visorak (really big "duh" right there), and the Kal were mutated by the Bahrag a long time ago, that suggests that Teridax (the one whose region the Bohrok inhabited) would have been the one to provide the queens with the substance. But, thousands of years ago, what purpose would he have had for doing that? Curiosity, perhaps? 

Now, consider the EP system used to form the island atop the robot's face. The system would have been close to the Bohrok tunnels, yes? The Toa Metru encountered a small leak of the stuff in Maze of Shadows, so is it much of a stretch to think that the Bahrag did not simply use another leak to mutate six out of many thousands of Bohrok?

Greg's responses suggest that even he did not put much thought into the situation. All things considered, EP is the most likely known source of the Kal's mutation.

EDIT: Looking back at that response containing a reference to Visorak Venom, he says "distilled energy." Given that wording, I would add energy from the Core as another likely candidate. That sort of radiation was confirmed to be the source of a lightstone's glow, and given how many of those there were on the island of Mata Nui, I would suspect that some traces of the mutagenic energies were present in that area, as well. This, as part of the GSR's systems, is also far more likely than a mutative goop fom a specific rahi's pincers.

Edited by The~1st~Shadow
  • Upvote 1

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Artificial protodermis comes in so many varieties, it isn't surprising the natural type might too. That's not a specific answer, but it should give a bit of perspective. :)

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Artificial protodermis comes in so many varieties, it isn't surprising the natural type might too. That's not a specific answer, but it should give a bit of perspective. :)

Possible, but keep in mind that the GB's tested the stuff as an energy source, and some of their tests didn't work out. If there are multiple variations of the natural stuff, then I suspect they would have used the most stable and predictable one(s) in the robot's systems. After all, look at what happened to a certain prototype who's power source went "ka-blooey!" :P Multiple variations could exist, but that doesn't mean all were present in the MU.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

All this Kal talk made me ponder something, if a Toa bathed in kal substance, would they change elements or what?

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Toa-Kal? I don't think the Bohrok's element is inherent to them as a Toa's, the elemental ability was something their shields did. Remember, they all mutated from Av-Matoran, so the only inherent element a bohrok should have is light. The get fitted with Krana at the Nest, so perhaps they get shields and painting there too.

Though, Nidhiki might be considered a Toa-Kal, since he was mutated by a Rhotuka rather than EP.

• Upvote 1

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I always wondered how the Bohroks powers where meant to correspond to the Bohrok-Kals, I mean going with the assumption that there are negligible differences between the different Bohrok beyond shields, Tahnok-Kal is Tahnok-Kal, not _____k-Kal, Out of Universe explanations abound, but as it is it does indicate that there was something about that particular Tanhnok made its Kal version Electricity rather than say Acid, Magnetism, or Iron, etc.

Maybe if a different Tahnok was exposed to whatever it was, it may have gained a different power instead?

Though, Nidhiki might be considered a Toa-Kal, since he was mutated by a Rhotuka rather than EP.

Maybe, although it seems misleading, sure it highlights that Nidhiki was a (mutated) Toa, but it seems somewhat odd as it implies that Bohrok to Bohrok-Kal involved Rhotukas...

Then again the mutation ability of her Rhotukas might be tied to whatever did convert the Bohrok to Bohrok-Kal :L

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Maybe, although it seems misleading, sure it highlights that Nidhiki was a (mutated) Toa, but it seems somewhat odd as it implies that Bohrok to Bohrok-Kal involved Rhotukas...

Then again the mutation ability of her Rhotukas might be tied to whatever did convert the Bohrok to Bohrok-Kal :L

Rhotuka powers like that are derived from a being's personality traits. The Hordika had elemental rhotuka because of the natural launchers in their body, which was tied to their elemental powers. Anyone like the Hagah or Roodaka who carried an artificial launcher bore a different power. It'd be tricky to find someone with such a mutation power tied to their personality, so that sounds just a bit unlikely. However, given that a Mask of Mutation exists... Maybe?

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Not really -- bear in mind that the Greg quote confirmed that Kal just means "mutated through any means other than EP." If we go with that explanation, then Nidhiki would indeed be a Toa-Kal, with no implications towards the Bohrok-Kal's mutation.

Of course, I think there should be a better explanation, because if Kal is defined by a negative, it's not a very useful term :P

• Upvote 3

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
-------------------------------------
Rate The Song Above You