BBC#69 Ancient

Roa McToa

Ancient, Dark Hunter and undercover OoMN agent, back from the dead and built G2

This is my entry for BBCC69. Enjoy! He has a fully functioning Rhotuka Launcher mounted into his right hand. He is fully poseable from head to toe with a waist that twists and also can bend forward or back. His mouth opens/closes and his head can be moved up down side to side.

15983197574_be2bf5f583_b.jpgAncient by Archinto, on Flickr

16418169808_fd2085ddba_b.jpgAncient Back View by Archinto, on Flickr

16579383256_6ff260bb41_b.jpgAncient Portrait by Archinto, on Flickr

16604209031_90e53bd2f7_b.jpgAncients Roar by Archinto, on Flickr

Edited by Roa McToa
  • Upvote 17

ancientsig.jpg

^^ Clicky the Linky! ^^

The shaping and detail is fantastic, as always. The use of the Elda as part of the head is extremely clever; in fact, I've rarely seen any of the Inika masks used outside ... well, being inika masks.

The only thing that stands out is the amount of CCBS on the torso vis-à-vis the limbs; the limbs have a lot of clearly visible G1 elements. It flows nicely and I think they're very smoothly integrated, but in comparison to more CCBS-based entries, that's certainly something that stands out.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

It was a difficult choice choosing Ancient because of the limited colors in ccbs of his color sheme. The legs were giving me a fit because of the hip configuration trying to build them up with ccbs base. So i chose to use more old style parts in the thighs while incorporating some new. Theres a lot of good entries in this contest! The polls are gonna be great to watch!

ancientsig.jpg

^^ Clicky the Linky! ^^

It was a difficult choice choosing Ancient because of the limited colors in ccbs of his color sheme. The legs were giving me a fit because of the hip configuration trying to build them up with ccbs base. So i chose to use more old style parts in the thighs while incorporating some new. Theres a lot of good entries in this contest! The polls are gonna be great to watch!

There sure are some good entries in this contest!! (this certainly being one of them :P

This is so great, I especially like the head and how the shape of the body and tail resembles a reptile-esc figure.

Although there is a lot more gold on this rendition of him than the original, and it comes close to being too much to look at, it still looks really solid.

OUPwunP.jpg

Let me first start off with saying that I love your work, a good majority of your mocs are my favorite mocs. That being said, I never thought the day would come when I don't love a moc of yours. This moc is great, well built, very large, and very much in your style. It combines gen 1 and 2 really well, and is very imposing. However, to me at least, it doesn't look like Ancient. I don't know if its how the chest is built, or the way the head is built, but its really only those two things that while being well built, don't really feel like Ancient. But again, really astounding moc, and I'm sure it will go far in the contest. Good job. :thumbsup:

Edited by Konahrik

bzpsig.jpg

I can see what you mean. Due to the constraints of there being vitually no dark blue ccbs pieces and zero old gold i wanted to try and use as little g1 as possible withoutnusing an overabundance of black. G2 has lots of gold going on so i figured id beef armor him up. Kinda went big and also took aeay the grey color that ancient did have. I tried to emulate the bulkiness of the originals build but beefier. Its really difficult to capture the lines of the body, especially since im not good at taking pictures compared to others here.

ancientsig.jpg

^^ Clicky the Linky! ^^

I know what you mean, I faced a similar adversity when building my entry. Whereas I just decided to switch the dark blue to black, you kept it, so kudos for that, Don't get me wrong, the gold suits him, its really just the blockiness of the chest compared to the rest of him which seems so smooth. And, by the way, your pictures are more than adequate enough to do your model justice. 

bzpsig.jpg

The first bits to assemble this was the chima chests. I centered the moc around that idea. Theres an orange heartlight under the skull spider mask. I tried it with just the rahk face, but the head was too small. After putting it together with the inika head it fit a lot better sizewise. I really wish more dark blue was available and that i had more dark blue skull spiders, but heres to a good contest! I wish luck to all as theres a lot of really great entries!

ancientsig.jpg

^^ Clicky the Linky! ^^

The chest sticks out a little bit too much, but other than that, this is absolutely fantastic! The way you built the head with an Elda being used as a jaw is pure genius and is very creative. Best of luck in the contest! :D

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Wow; quite stunningly amazing! Now it does not look too much like Ancient -- far too much gold (none of which should be on the legs) and that great protrusion of the chest (which should actually be flat) -- but that is really the point of the contest, to represent Gen1 characters in a new style and with as much creative license as one can muster while still remaining within the distinguishable bounds of the character. With the old building-system there were some things that looked right and some things that looked wrong. Since this is a completely new way to build, what looked right with the Gen1 builds often needs to be changed to lend itself to the new one. You did an incredible job with that! You didn't take the challenge too literally by trying to match the original as closely as you could on a larger scale but instead built something that I can identify as Ancient or as a stand-alone creation in and of itself.

The usage of pieces however was the real star for me. Many I do not recognize because I have not payed particular attention to CHIMA or HERO FACTORY, but those spikes and masks/helmets really make this MoC what it is. Actually, at first I did not even notice all of those old pieces that you used because they were integrated so well into the build.

Now I have to ask how you did a couple things. First, I noticed that there are some technic pieces in the shoulders. So, if I were to look into the body of Ancient, what would I find; more technic or CCBS? Perhaps you might post a partial-skeleton picture of that torso? Also, How is it that you were able to attatch an Inika mask to the head; I just can't see a possible connection point. I mean, I thought that those masks were completely useless but here you are using one to make something really unique and one of the most recognizable features of the entire model.

Oh, and one more thing; how much of this did you visualize before building it? I can't imagine that you had all those specific pieces just lying around. Shipping pieces takes time and even missing just a couple can put you days behind. Actually, how much of this is improv and how much did you plan ahead? I just want to know your thought process.

Anyway, great job; really fantastic. Not much that I can say other than that; questions are most of what I can supply because you obviously know what you're doing.

When i decided to build ancient the entire moc was centered around that big set of armor. I wanted him to looknlike a big new and madd version of the old ancient. The body inside is made prmarily of ccbs and the shoulders are made of only a small handful of old skool and some small bits. The torso is mostly hollow between the hips and the chest with ccbs holding the armor together. The moc is very solid and forgiving in its poseability. After the contest ends im gonna add a couple parts to aid in poseability even more. The shoulders are put together in an assembly that swings forward to close the gap. It was then secured by the gold back armor.

The head is built threaded through the eyes of the elda to make the attachments. Hes got a poseable neck and everytbing. He can look straight up if need be. Hes even got a tongue made from a mini knights kingdom sword. The hilt fit right into the eyes of the elda.

As far as how i built it, i have a very large collection of parts that ive been building since i got started in bionicle. Garage sales and thrift stores have provided well for cheap. Many parts are from the sets i purchase or those that are gifted but most were gotten secondhand so i guess ylu could say i have this stuff laying around. I dont tackle a moc with anything more than an idea. I dont lay out any drawings i just envision something in my head based on the parts i want to use for a specific part of the moc and go from there. Defining features develop as i go along. This moc started out as the two chima torsos that make up his chest. Overall i think the ccbs to old skool ratio is about 80-85 percent ccbs vs old.

Edited by Roa McToa
  • Upvote 1

ancientsig.jpg

^^ Clicky the Linky! ^^

A really well done fellow Dark Hunter - choosing the fan-made stuff to build from really allows the builder's imagination to shine through better than a TLG set. Like this, we don't just reimagine a model - we reimagine charactersB-) (Not to say that others haven't done the same, of course.)

I love the way you applied a marauding, monstrous take on him, which is evident in all his portions. It could have been just another boring, humanoid figure, yet you've taken cues from things on the original like the Rahaga head, tail and claws, and your resulting model gives a genuinely authentic representation of who Ancient was.

You have intentionally buffed his upper torso wide and thick, quite like the original was like. I especially love that excellent head and piece usage. - we're all suckers for those kinds of goodies.

Though I have to say, the Old/Dark gold + Dark blue really shaped Ancient's identity, and it is a shame that you omitted the gold (and subtracted the blue as your pearl-gold went into position). I reckon the old gold would have done a better job of 'darkening' him, suggesting malice and ruthlessness that he would possess in his role as a seasoned Dark Hunter. Bright and shiny Pearl-gold does work against that aspect of his character, especially when used to the extent that you have (Although, come to think of it, Ancient did strike me as a lot nicer than some of the others in the organisation).

I believe the Dark Blue Skull-Spider mask is literally the only CCBS piece that exists in either of his original colours (How much does your prized Skull-Spider mask happen to match Old Gold?  ^_^ ) , and you definitely would have been hard-pressed to meet the CCBS criteria for the competition if you were to use as much Gen-1 dark-gold pieces as you did Pearl Gold.

Did you try combo-ing Black, Dark-grey or gunmetal? You wouldn't want to mix or clutter them together, but the amount of gold used would be much more minimal, and if it were blocked well it could have really worked.

Maybe, just maybe, that should have been reason to apply this colour scheme to Brutaka, Toa Gaaki or one of the Toa of Psionics instead? I appreciate how you chose a less refined and well-known character, but at least in my opinion those characters would have flown the coloured flag better.

And I think you definitely missed out on some brownie points by not giving him the 'levitation boots' that he had in the story. I guess you would have to resize his proportions quite a bit in order for them to not look stupid, but... levitation boots?  :begging:

Still, this is definitely one of the finest and most curated entries of the lot. It's big, as seems to be your forte, but in most areas quality and detail has not been sacrificed at all. You've quite obviously put in hard yards and no small amount of love into this beast, and you've done well to produce this in the very limited time period we were allocated. Well done again.  :D

Ancient really let himself go!

I do like your use of the Edna though, I will be sure to use similar ideas with the other organic kanohi the next time I MoC.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

If i had tried to build him to emulate exactly his old character it would not have been possible to make him look G2at all due to the fact that old gold hasnt been produced since 2005, and the only dark blue ccbs part is a skull spider mask. New gold was the only option. The idea was to renew the character and make him look big n bad. I guess you could say that this is his old Order of Mata Nui clothes before going undercover and joining the dark hunters..... but yeah. I likehim either way. :) i may later build another moc of ancient they way I truly envision him without ccbs contest based constraints

• Upvote 1

ancientsig.jpg

^^ Clicky the Linky! ^^

• 2 weeks later...

And this is why I never win haha xD 

Your knowledge of connector and shell usage is beyond my imagination. There are always innovative techniques I see in your mocs that I wouldn't even fathom in a million years! Really creative, really mechanical and REALLY detailed. It creates a cohesive and intricately planned model that is not only a fantastic rendition of the character Ancient but an immensely impressive moc that is up there with my favourites. Fantastic job!

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg