My sons birthday...

Smitty

My sons birthday is next month and he's been getting into LEGOa bit more. I got Benny's Spaceship, spaceship, SPACESHIP! and he's been wanting one of his own. Sad;y he's not ready for that level of building, yet. So I went on e-bay and got him some ventage Lego Space sets, some that I had when I was about his age. I got the Auxiliary Patroller, the STRATEGIC PURSUER, and the  COSMIC CHARGER. The Cosmic Charger is the first set I can remember building when I was little.

Has any one ever gifted old LEGO sets to younger kids? How did it go? Do you even thing it's a good idea?

• Upvote 1

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

My sons birthday is next month and he's been getting into LEGOa bit more. I got Benny's Spaceship, spaceship, SPACESHIP! and he's been wanting one of his own. Sad;y he's not ready for that level of building, yet. So I went on e-bay and got him some ventage Lego Space sets, some that I had when I was about his age. I got the Auxiliary Patroller, the STRATEGIC PURSUER, and the  COSMIC CHARGER. The Cosmic Charger is the first set I can remember building when I was little.

Has any one ever gifted old LEGO sets to younger kids? How did it go? Do you even thing it's a good idea?

Let me ask....How old is your son? 

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

I've given Lego as gifts to younger family members several times. One thing to keep in mind is that gift-giving is the main time when the age recommendation on the box SHOULD probably be taken as gospel. The age recommendations typically give a fairly good indication of whether the set will be too simple or difficult for the recipient. If the kid later expresses a desire for a larger or more difficult set, that goes out the window—but don't be afraid to give them a hand if they end up having more trouble than they bargained for.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I agree with Axilus Prime, but I'm not sure if he'd cope with the complexity of the recent Toa. I guess if you gave him a hand with the gearboxes, he'd get a lot of fun out of them. 

Anyway, it's a really nice thing to give him Lego sets and it'd be cool if he becomes interested in Bionicle within the next three years.

• Upvote 1

My sons birthday is next month and he's been getting into LEGOa bit more. I got Benny's Spaceship, spaceship, SPACESHIP! and he's been wanting one of his own. Sad;y he's not ready for that level of building, yet. So I went on e-bay and got him some ventage Lego Space sets, some that I had when I was about his age. I got the Auxiliary Patroller, the STRATEGIC PURSUER, and the COSMIC CHARGER. The Cosmic Charger is the first set I can remember building when I was little.

Let me ask....How old is your son?
That is a bit of a loaded question, he's going to be 8, but he's got AD-HA and a developmental delay he while he's smart enough to be in school with kids his age he can't play at a normal 8 year old level. There is a part of that that got them for me to enjoy because they are all sets I had at his age or younger. I just want something he can build on his own, and he and I can then play with together.

I've got Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP, for me but he wants one of his own so bad, to swoosh mine around the house. I'm hopeful that if he had some of the smaller sets that inspired B.S.S.S! he might enjoy those until he's ready for bigger builds. I also want to give him a confidence boost.

I know my some and I know what he's willing to do, but I know he could do more...

Just an update if any one cares. The First two sets come in, the Auxiliary Patroller, and the STRATEGIC PURSUER one was missing a 1x1 trans blue plate. I looked and looked and I just don't have any. The other cane with two of the wrong part, lucky for me they are parts that are still in use and I'm looking at $0.50 on pick-a-brick.

Lats update, his Birthday was Saturday and he loved the sets, even better the replacement parts came in that day! I had to get him a green space man form the LEGO Ideas exosuit to replace the white one that came in the  COSMIC CHARGER.

Edited by Smitty

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.