Inner Child?

CaT in Rogue

So, as the tic title might suggest, I want to know if the return of Bionicle has brought out anyone's inner child.

It certainly has for me, to an extent. The first thing I really noticed was when I was at the Lego store to pick up my first Bionicle 2015 sets, and was wondering what sets to buy. I had decided on Kopaka as soon as I saw his set images, but I had enough money for a second set, and was trying to decide what to get.

Normally, my set picking instincts would have activated, and I would go for the one with the best price to piece value, but instead, I got a strong urge to completely ignore that, and ended up buying Pohatu, who arguably has the worst PTP value. It may sound stupid, but buying sets based purely on fun value isn't something I've done for a long time.

Of course, what really made me notice my inner child coming out is the fact that I just spent ten minutes sitting in bed and swooshing Lewa G2 around while making flying noises and stupid commentary. It was inordinately engaging.

So, has anyone else had any experiences like this, or am I just a crazed lunatic?

• Upvote 3

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

It has certainly awoken the building urges of my inner child. I currently have two full-fledged designs beating against the inside of my skull, and multiple others in formation, and I'm still away from my collection for a few weeks. Poring over my mock-ups in LDD cannot sustain me much longer. And then after only a week I'll be back to this MOCless wasteland :P

(I haven't really built anything since 2012, except for ten Vahki last summer, and that was only because I was bored :P)

Edited by Junkbot Master of Trash

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
-------------------------------------
Rate The Song Above You

You mean...Nostalgia? Well yeah, heaping tons of it. I actually took my time building every single set, and I felt really happy doing it.

But after, my 'adult instincts' started kicking in and I immediately regretted blowing $200 on such trivial things. But alas, they're happily perched upon my shelf, while I'm enjoying them.  

• Upvote 2

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I was one of the lucky at the LEGO event at ComicCon who got to play and build with the parts before the release. The whole time I was digging through the huge bucket of pieces and building my Toa, I kept on saying "I feel like I'm 10 again!"

So, yes, there is an inner 10-year-old to be found there. Though the outer 23-year-old has refocused towards other Lego themes (when he can afford them).

Edited by Ta-metru_defender
  • Upvote 1

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

Not really. I've never stopped being a "child" in that regard, I guess? I buy stuff that looks cool and I play around with my toys. Nothing much to it.

Pretty much this! I've been an equally big fan of Lego consistently, but Bionicle's return did please my inner child immeasurably.

~B~

I'm sixteen, which I guess is somewhat old enough for people to consider me as "too old for Lego" or "too old for toys". However, I did feel a bit "childish" when I first flew Tahu around on his new lavaboard and I definitely felt nostalgia after realising that it was twelve and a half years ago that I first built the original Tahu Nuva.

Edited by Rooster Nui

Yes yes yes late last year when I first found out of bionicle return this year I ripped up all my mocs got all my boxes of bionicle pieces and the box for all the instructions and I started rebuilding all my old sets it was so much fun and I am nearly finished and just last weekend I bought all the sets I could get my hands on and built them all as soon as I got home.

I spent the first month of ownership of the Masters obsessivly taking them apart and putting them back together over and over...I used to do that as a kid, every set went through at least 4-5 rebuilds. :P I also began trying to re-learn as much of the lore as I could, and...well...I'm on bzp again. :P

It brought out my inner child in weird ways too...I began listening to music I hadn't listened to since I was 10, I watched old episodes of Arthur (a cartoon I watched as a kid), i've had a craving for some of the meals my parents made when I was younger and allergic to everything...It's actually been a little bizzarre...

• Upvote 1

Hi.

If you remember me from when I was most active on BZP, from 2009-2011...

I know I was cringy. But please keep in mind I was literally 12.

It never went to sleep, people close to me call me a 'man-child' for a good reason. :lol: I still MoC, watch cartoons, make weird faces and funny noises, and recently have gotten into collecting Graphic Novels. When Bionicle came back, I was glad to finally get some new pieces (looking back, I wish I had gotten a couple more Hero Factory sets), but my concern was with what would happen to the characters i grew up, would their personalities change, would the story change? All these answers have been answered by now, but the new sets are cool; my mother noticed that when I was building my first 2015 set yesterday (Protector of Stone), she noticed that I was a tad happy and I actually can't wait to get more sets. :P

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

As others have already stated about themselves, my inner child never left. :P

But collecting the new sets did bring back memories for me of when I was younger and collecting the sets of yester years. Just another pro of being fan of Bionicle, I guess.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I definitely did. I haven't MoCed in ages but I am doing that more frequently now, and I've been looking up so much BIONICLE info just like I remember doing as a kid.

Funny enough, while my bro and I were sitting in the mall when we finished our Toa collections, we pulled em out of the bag just to look at the packaging. He said "Man, this takes me back long ago when we would always just get so stoked at the boxes and stare at them all day". Yeah, that hit me. We're like a full-grown adults but sitting there at the mall, looking at our new sets was SO reminiscent of our child selves back in 2001.

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

For some reason, I get a major nostalgia vibe whenever I look at G2 Pohatu. Not even because he was my first, but there's something about his printed chestplate and his colors that reminds me of the good ol' days (Early 2000's, to be precise). I've also found myself playing with my sets every day before bed, and it's given me some sort of comfort that helps me sleep a little better. So yes, I'd say my inner child has awoken.

why is this happening

So, as the tic title might suggest, I want to know if the return of Bionicle has brought out anyone's inner child.

Let's just say that it's a good thing my girlfriend already considers me the world's biggest goofball. I now have both Gali and Tahu watching over my dorm, and after building the former, I carried her around for the rest of the night -- including to the study room on my floor, so she was right there every time I looked away from my laptop. I love walking in the room and seeing them both posed atop my bookshelf; it's exhilarating, and always makes me smile.

itachieye9dq.gif
Rest in Peace, Joey Powers! I'm sorry that I didn't have the chance to get to know you!
pohatubanner.png
Credit to ~Nausicaa~ for the second banner.
If you created the first banner, please come forward so I can give you credit.

Boy did Gen2 crack that nostalgia shell wide open...

Even though Bionicle didn't end too long ago, I don't remember have that feeling of OMG NEW BONKLE for a while. I definitely had that whilest putting together Tahu. I had no idea how to assemble him, made mistakes, and spent minutes fawning over pieces I'd never seen before. It was a heck of a time...

That being said, I feel like a younger kid again with these new sets being released.

I'm not an adult yet, but I'm still jaded and cynical nonetheless. Yeah, it's exciting to get new sets and build and pose them. That said, it can't match the rose-tinted childhood memories of Bionicle during which life was free and I had not a care in the world. I'm afraid I cannot quite empathize in the same way as I once did. 

• Upvote 2

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?