Themes That Deserve Battle Packs

aldero

Battle packs. Oh, how wonderful they are.

Since the battle pack's inception in 2007 with the Star Wars Clone Trooper and Battle Droid Battle Packs, we have gotten a Star Wars battle pack every following year, and they have been great sets for the collectors wanting to build a Clone Trooper, Mandalorian Trooper, Battle Droid, Assassin Droid, Shadow Trooper or Sith Trooper army, just to name a few. Later, in 2015, we got some Legends of Chima Battle Packs, and those were pretty good. 

But if there's one theme that needs battle packs, it's the Lord of the Rings. Or the Hobbit. Sure, the smaller Helm's Deep set in got in 2012 was kind of a battle pack, but it's not quite right for me. I've always wanted to recreate Saruman's army of ten thousand Uruk-Hai, but I've only got four. Same goes for pretty much every other army in the six movies we've gotten so far that are set in the land of Middle-Earth. I would personally like to see battle packs for Uruk-Hai, Elves, Rohan soldiers, Gundabad Orcs, and Dwarves.

What other battle packs would you like to see?

• Upvote 1

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

Lego Friends Battle Pack MLG 360o NoScope Edition

Hmm...I want to say Bionicle, though I'm not entirely sure how that would work...

For now, I'll go with saying Ninjago. We need more cheap sets with those exclusive weapons.

• Upvote 2

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

If the Avatar: The Last Airbender theme came back (or hadn't folded all those years ago), battle packs would have suited that theme well. Most of the factions in that series had a fair share of generic troops.

And I guess if Bionicle ever features minifig-scaled sets again (like last year's Hero Factory sets or the classic Bionicle playsets), battle packs wouldn't be totally impractical for that.

Otherwise, I've got nothing. Most of the themes I'm currently interested in (Ninjago, Elves, The Lego Movie) don't really have many large-scale armies of generic troops, at least not for both good and evil factions.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

If the Avatar: The Last Airbender theme came back (or hadn't folded all those years ago), battle packs would have suited that theme well. Most of the factions in that series had a fair share of generic troops.

And I guess if Bionicle ever features minifig-scaled sets again (like last year's Hero Factory sets or the classic Bionicle playsets), battle packs wouldn't be totally impractical for that.

Otherwise, I've got nothing. Most of the themes I'm currently interested in (Ninjago, Elves, The Lego Movie) don't really have many large-scale armies of generic troops, at least not for both good and evil factions.

Let's respond to these in order...

Yeah, I would also like to see the return of the Avatar: The Last Airbender sets. Perhaps if the Legend of Korra show gets really popular, LEGO will churn out some sets. But I wouldn't count on that happening, as LEGO doesn't really produce Nickelodeon show sets for a long time.

Yes! Bionicle playsets should come back! I would love to see a few sets based around the Ancient City. They could combine together in a similar style to Helm's Deep or Dol Guldur.

I agree with you on the Ninjago army statement, as I would already have a considerable Anacondrai warrior army if I collected all of the first wave. Same thing goes with The LEGO Movie.

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

Seeing LOK sets would be fantastic, but with even Nickelodeon's rocky relationship with that show I don't think they would use it as one of the brands to be represented

Anyways, as for battle packs, it wouldn't be too bad to see some Ultra Agents base level agents and henchmen in a battle pack. They wouldn't have to be named figures, but it would be nice to have those extra agents to take on the villains, and vice versa with the the henchmen

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

Let's respond to these in order...

Yeah, I would also like to see the return of the Avatar: The Last Airbender sets. Perhaps if the Legend of Korra show gets really popular, LEGO will churn out some sets. But I wouldn't count on that happening, as LEGO doesn't really produce Nickelodeon show sets for a long time.

Yes! Bionicle playsets should come back! I would love to see a few sets based around the Ancient City. They could combine together in a similar style to Helm's Deep or Dol Guldur.

I agree with you on the Ninjago army statement, as I would already have a considerable Anacondrai warrior army if I collected all of the first wave. Same thing goes with The LEGO Movie.

Unfortunately, not only was Legend of Korra not the most successful brand as far as merchandising was concerned, it's concluded now. Apart from pop-culture icons like Ghostbusters that get produced through Lego Ideas, Lego rarely licenses brands that aren't active and in the public spotlight. And there are currently no plans for any further movies or TV series set in the Avatar universe.

Part of me would rather see Bionicle playsets featuring the diverse regions of Okoto. That was something I've always felt the classic playsets lacked, each representing mostly homogenous architecture and locations. But frankly, I'd even be happy with something like a Collectible Minifigure series, which honestly might even have more potential for success than mask packs thanks to their built-in play potential. The arms and legs of the "herofigs" would be just as applicable for the new Bionicle characters, I think. But that's probably a pipe dream.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I miss the old day when every theme had a set that was just minifigures, about five of them and there tool or weapons. The thing with todays market is LEGO Star Wars sets have to have so many parts or they are no longer a building set and honing in on Hasbro's turf. The same would go for any theme that has an action figure line made by another company. However set of just minifigures went out long before LEGO Star Wars was a thing so sales might have drooped off for them so LEGO just stopped making them.

Back to the real question, Ninjago, a set on one Ninja and three of four bad guys, and maybe a weapon like a small catapult or something. It would be nice to get all of the Ninja for under $100 for a change.

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

I honestly don't see the reason for getting Star Wars battle packs, except for trying to get an army together or to collect exclusive figures. 

But I wouldn't mind seeing some Jedi Battle Packs. (Bringing back some Old Republic sets wouldn't be out of the question, right? Right?!)

Edited by The Bone-Snatcher

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I honestly don't see the reason for getting Star Wars battle packs, except for trying to get an army together or to collect exclusive figures. 

But I wouldn't mind seeing some Jedi Battle Packs. (Bringing back some Old Republic sets wouldn't be out of the question, right? Right?!)

Not with Rebels on now and the new movie coming.

You are their rock.

I did some stuff with LDD...

This is just concept work so I did not take the time to put faces on every one or find the right torso print. I would imagen that any real Ninjago battle pack would come with a really plane looking ninja to keep people interisted in buying the regular sets.

NBPKai.png

NBPJay.png

NBPZane.png

NBPLloyd.png

NBPCole.png

You are their rock.

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of battle pack, I am amaze that we haven't seen a Minecraft Battle Pack with zombie, creepers, skeletons and different Steve skins. But that is something that I don't want as battle pack but I'm okay with it.

Anyway I would like to see some super heroes battle packs of the villains goons/army like the joker's goons, Red Skull's army and Deadpool Army (aka his fanboys and anyone who played Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions know what I'm talking about).

More Chima Battle Packs would be good to see as well, like seeing the Walf Pack.

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

Anyway I would like to see ... Wolf Pack.

lego-wolfpack-tower-4-1.jpg

• Upvote 3

You are their rock.

God, how old are those things? They look ancient...

Those are from way back in 1992. I had a few Wolfpack figures in my childhood, mostly obtained secondhand (although in those years, Lego also kept themes on shelves for longer, meaning that the sets were still around when I got into Lego in 1994).

Those are from way back in 1992. I had a few Wolfpack figures in my childhood, mostly obtained secondhand (although in those years, Lego also kept themes on shelves for longer, meaning that the sets were still around when I got into Lego in 1994).

Oh, wow. Oldest set I have is from... 1999? Probably newer than that, though. Staying on topic, though: Battle packs typically cost between 10 and 12 bucks, right? Why not have a Bionicle battle pack that has two small villagers? Less impressive than the Protectors, but some extra villagers to add worldbuilding.

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

God, how old are those things? They look ancient...

If y'all keep making me feel old I'm going to stop hanging around. I was in my teens when they came out, I had both sets.

• Upvote 1

You are their rock.

• 3 weeks later...

NINJAGO.

You could have a pack of maybe 4 minions and some weapons.

The main issue with Ninjago battle packs is a lack of generic "troops" for the "good guy" faction. The Ninja have never really enlisted the help of any sort of army (with the brief exception of the Stone Army under Dareth's control), meaning that unlike themes like Star Wars or Legends of Chima, there's no way to release battle packs for both good and evil factions without making most of the Ninja available within a single small set (which would not be good for sales of the larger sets, and would make the Ninja battle pack useless for army building). Ninjago battle packs could potentially happen, but the story would have to at the very least introduce underlings or disciples for the ninja themselves in order to allow for better army building.

I thought there were already some battle packs for the Lord of the Rings, but I guess I'm thinking of some of the smaller sets. It would be neat to have them, since there are so many possibilities.

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for" -John Lubbock

NINJAGO.

The main issue with Ninjago battle packs is a lack of generic "troops" for the "good guy" faction. The Ninja have never really enlisted the help of any sort of army (with the brief exception of the Stone Army under Dareth's control), meaning that unlike themes like Star Wars or Legends of Chima, there's no way to release battle packs for both good and evil factions without making most of the Ninja available within a single small set (which would not be good for sales of the larger sets, and would make the Ninja battle pack useless for army building). Ninjago battle packs could potentially happen, but the story would have to at the very least introduce underlings or disciples for the ninja themselves in order to allow for better army building.

Did no one see my post? http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/17703-themes-that-deserve-battle-packs/?do=findComment&comment=896643

You are their rock.

NINJAGO.

Did no one see my post? http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/17703-themes-that-deserve-battle-packs/?do=findComment&comment=896643

The issue with those battle pack concept is that they lack any sort of unity. Most battle packs fall into one of two categories: ones that contain a battle (and thus contain two equal factions) and those that represent a single faction (and thus have the unity that comes with such a pack). On top of that, it'd be extremely hard to market packs like those that revolve around past story arcs, rather than the overarching "theme" of that wave. There's a reason most waves don't present multiple enemy factions—having a clear and unambiguous story structure both unifies the product line (ensuring that fans can recognize which sets go together) and makes the sets more marketable as a collection (as opposed to contrasting waves of vastly different factions).

I'm with Smitty here; I do miss those assorted minifig packs that went along with themes. Got a Futron and a few other 'figs from a Space one.

Were this some years ago, I'd have wanted Exo-Force battlepacks to get a horde of Robots. Now I want superhero ones, but that's more for having an army to fight than anything.

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

I'm with Smitty here; I do miss those assorted minifig packs that went along with themes. Got a Futron and a few other 'figs from a Space one.

Were this some years ago, I'd have wanted Exo-Force battlepacks to get a horde of Robots. Now I want superhero ones, but that's more for having an army to fight than anything.

The Superheroes lines like the Star Wars set have to be strictly building toys, so battle pack have to include a thing and enough figures get get a a certain number of parts. It some sort of deal LEGO has with Hasbro. The down side is like Ninjogo Superheros only have some many characters that people will want to buy, and the only real troops come from the bad guys side. It puts LEGO in a dilemma, if you could get Superman in a $13 set why would you buy the $120 set?

• Upvote 1

You are their rock.

Good heavens, they make $120 sets?  I mean, I knew there were those big Star Wars collectibles but... gah.  Needs more cashmoneys.

$120 is, for the most part, the highest price mainstream sets get. Most sets that are more expensive are not available in regular stores.

This is one reason why I often scoff at the notion that Bionicle is too expensive. Even the $90 Skopio (the most expensive Bionicle set ever) seems fairly affordable when contrasted against the $120 Fire Temple or Portal of Atlantis.

The Superheroes lines like the Star Wars set have to be strictly building toys, so battle pack have to include a thing and enough figures get get a a certain number of parts. It some sort of deal LEGO has with Hasbro. The down side is like Ninjogo Superheros only have some many characters that people will want to buy, and the only real troops come from the bad guys side. It puts LEGO in a dilemma, if you could get Superman in a $13 set why would you buy the $120 set?

Well, way I remember it, the deal with Hasbro is Lego can't make minifig packs/individual minifigs like these.

By Superheroes I was thinking more of the Marvel properties (and DC too, I suppose), 'cuz as is I'm buying multiple mooks off of the aftermarket. I'm not as familiar with the 'proper' Lego themes, so can't comment there.

Well, way I remember it, the deal with Hasbro is Lego can't make minifig packs/individual minifigs like these.

There's no clear indication that any such licensing conflict ever applied to the Super Heroes theme, or that it continues to apply to the Star Wars theme. After all, the conflict with Star Wars was the reason that minifigure packs and action figure sets could not be produced by Lego—but Super Heroes had action figure sets from the get-go, and now Star Wars will be getting them as well, so clearly Hasbro's exclusive license for articulated Star Wars figures was either changed or clarified when the rights were renegotiated.

Edited by Lyichir

There's no clear indication that any such licensing conflict ever applied to the Super Heroes theme, or that it continues to apply to the Star Wars theme. After all, the conflict with Star Wars was the reason that minifigure packs and action figure sets could not be produced by Lego—but Super Heroes had action figure sets from the get-go, and now Star Wars will be getting them as well, so clearly Hasbro's exclusive license for articulated Star Wars figures was either changed or clarified when the rights were renegotiated.

So it's about time we get those minifig pack sets again so I don't need to spend an entire paycheck to get that one minifig.

• Upvote 1

I mostly think it was because of this (<- Best line 10 out of 10, they're so articulated) and this.

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

I've always felt Exo-Force would have benefited from them. They'd have smaller things like Iron Drones and maybe even pilots, some scenery like rocks or bridge parts, maybe even some with wrecked ships? The Human side would be similar - troops with turrets and stuff like that. Something that could have easily gone alongside one of the mechs.

To be honest, Sentry/Uplink vehicles + 2-3 troopers + a little bit of scenery would have worked well.

For me, a BIONICLE one would be less of a battle pack as accessory or supplemental packs. I'm still really huge on normal villager packs. Honestly, if Lego released like a $50 bin of 3-6 basic villagers with a bunch of village specific add on's I'd be totally down for it. Getting villagers though falls more into the realm of polybags (maybe for the baby villager, who knows).

Galidor could have had accessory packs, like limbs that Nick glinched from the show that didn't have a set form, although battle packs themselves would be too broad of a thing to apply to Galidor as a whole.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

For me, a BIONICLE one would be less of a battle pack as accessory or supplemental packs. I'm still really huge on normal villager packs. Honestly, if Lego released like a $50 bin of 3-6 basic villagers with a bunch of village specific add on's I'd be totally down for it. Getting villagers though falls more into the realm of polybags (maybe for the baby villager, who knows).

I think that they could do this but I think for $20-27 it should be a random villager with a random small Bionicle pet depending on the region. Ex: a monkey-esque jungle creature, a phoenix for the fire region and scorpion or coyote for the desert, etc.

I also agree that Exo Force battle packs would've been awesome and I think the Harry Potter sets could've benefitted from random collectible figures.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Here's a suggestion. Why one small battlepack with like 4 minifigs when they could make an army pack that has like 24!

Doing so, you wouldn't have to go store hopping or look stupid with like 6 boxes of the same lego set in your cart. With a bigger set you could have that much needed army you are looking for. Of course it'd be like, ungodly expensive, but it could be like that one clonetrooper set here. My dad spent a huge fortune on that set (Sadly my brothers demolished it long ago) was not only expensive, but it had more than the original 4 clones and some pretty unique vehicles. It be pretty cool if they could make something like this again and literally stuff it full of soldiers we need instead of giving us something big and it come with like; 2 jedi, a droid, and a clone. Hopefully they could make something as grand as this and give us those satisfactions, but time will only tell.

And I guess it depends whether you just need enough for a conventional battle, like 20-30 soldiers fighting 20-30 enemy soldiers. However, a big battle of like hundreds? Your going to be shelling out that dough anyway richy rich. I can see someone doing a little battle, but man, hundreds!? Have fun cleaning that mess up. But, to each their own I guess, so maybe they could do something like that. I dunno.

Mario-Party-DS-Waluigi_zps2e5b569e.png

Thanks Photobucket. Love you too.

Lego Friends Battle Pack MLG 360o NoScope Edition

Hmm...I want to say Bionicle, though I'm not entirely sure how that would work...

For now, I'll go with saying Ninjago. We need more cheap sets with those exclusive weapons.

Definitely Ninjago.  If only they could make the weapons so REALISTIC, as in like, from the show.

A signature is supposed to be this:

Jaeger_Gipsy_Danger_Decal_02.png

and BTW https://screen.yahoo.com/star-trek-convention-000000768.html

Here's a suggestion. Why one small battlepack with like 4 minifigs when they could make an army pack that has like 24!

Doing so, you wouldn't have to go store hopping or look stupid with like 6 boxes of the same lego set in your cart. With a bigger set you could have that much needed army you are looking for. Of course it'd be like, ungodly expensive, but it could be like that one clonetrooper set here. My dad spent a huge fortune on that set (Sadly my brothers demolished it long ago) was not only expensive, but it had more than the original 4 clones and some pretty unique vehicles. It be pretty cool if they could make something like this again and literally stuff it full of soldiers we need instead of giving us something big and it come with like; 2 jedi, a droid, and a clone. Hopefully they could make something as grand as this and give us those satisfactions, but time will only tell.

And I guess it depends whether you just need enough for a conventional battle, like 20-30 soldiers fighting 20-30 enemy soldiers. However, a big battle of like hundreds? Your going to be shelling out that dough anyway richy rich. I can see someone doing a little battle, but man, hundreds!? Have fun cleaning that mess up. But, to each their own I guess, so maybe they could do something like that. I dunno.

The problem for LEGO is if mom will buy it or not. Having sets of four troopers is a good way to get anyone to buy, mom that whats to reward her child, a child that is learning how money works or an older collector. One set with a whole battalion of clones and there TOC would be too costly for a casual purchase and most likely not profitable for LEGO. Doing both the small troop packs along side a bigger troop pask also fails because why spend $120 now when you could spend $13 now and get clones and that droid thing, or that speeder they rode in the show? Troop building packs aren't just about the minifigures, but the build you get too, even if it some what lack luster like the thing the Sith Troopers come with. 

You are their rock.