It's already been established canon that Vahki speak the Matoran language, just very sped up. To me, though, that seems pretty lame  :P . So I started thinking of other ways that they could communicate that would require special software or abilities to decode...and I eventually thought of one.

Spectrogram text.

A spectrogram is basically a "picture" of that shows the frequency and volume of a sound. It looks like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c5/Spectrogram-19thC.png

It is possible, however to do the opposite of what a spectrogram is. That is, to turn an image into sound.

What if Vahki had spectrogram software that converted text into sound and vice versa? It would just sound like a garbled mess of white noise and bleeps, but if you ran it through a spectrogram, it would show text, or possibly a map with a location of an incident to investigate.

It would sound like this:

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/23bjla0v3jz722s/audiocheck.net_spectrotyper_(1).wav

And look like this:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/uzma398191o701i/surrender%20or%20run.png

What do you guys think?

• Upvote 6

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

It's cool, but doesn't really make sense in terms of the story. Why would whoever created the vahkii give them what is effectively a new language, when matoran already exists, and can be spoken quickly?

It IS the Matoran language, text-wise. It would just make it more difficult for normal citizens to decode it. Also, I think Nuparu designed the Vahki, if I'm not mistaken?

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  

It's cool, but doesn't really make sense in terms of the story. Why would whoever created the vahkii give them what is effectively a new language, when matoran already exists, and can be spoken quickly?

It IS the Matoran language, text-wise. It would just make it more difficult for normal citizens to decode it. Also, I think Nuparu designed the Vahki, if I'm not mistaken?

They don't need it to be any more difficult to understand, it is already impossible for a matoran without the use of a translating device.

• Upvote 1

Speaking really fast matoran has two advantages. Communication between units is much faster, which allows Vahki to give orders and coordinate maneuvers extremely quickly, and civilians can't understand them easily. This only has the latter advantage.

aouROFb.png

In theory, though, this would also be sped up a lot. I see a couple issues now.

Another advantage to this, however, would be that the Vahki wouldn't need to "speak". They would just need a device to emit a pitch, aka an oscillator. Text-to-speech programs now are fairly accurate, but I assume they take up a fair amount of disk space.

Then again, if the organ that allows Matoran to speak is mechanical and not organic, that would eliminate that problem. Vahki would just have the same thing.

EDIT: I said that text-to-speech programs take up disk space. So do spectrogram programs. So either way, there would need to be software involved unless the Matorans' speaking organ is mechanical.

Edited by Toa Vanson
  • Upvote 1

Being a rules-guy, it is not often that I hear an alternative to cannon that I like so much better that I would be willing to accept it; this is fabulous! This gives purpose to the otherwise pointlessly uninteligible chatter of the vahki; such a method of communication could convey volumes more information than simple speech: maps, faces, clues, and more.

Speaking really fast matoran has two advantages. Communication between units is much faster, which allows Vahki to give orders and coordinate maneuvers extremely quickly, and civilians can't understand them easily. This only has the latter advantage.

Fast matoran-speek would be quicker than this proposal except that any single vahki could selectively choose what information it wanted to communicate. Rather than discuss the surroundings in HD, a group of vahki could plan around a low-resolution map of the area. For the purposes of the vahki, this is much more valuable than "clumsy" words; it maximizes the transmition of spatial information in much less time.

Of course, it would just make more sense to coordinate strategies wirelessly rather then bother with such short-ranged mediums such as sound. Then again, do we see wireless anything in the MU? Perhaps the GSR has some internal interference that makes wireless communication impossible.

Or, more likely, they have nowhere near the understanding of wireless communication we have and to them wireless communication is just telepathic abilities and nobody really understands how they work except people like Artakha or the GBs. That would actually explain a lot about telepathy, like how the OoMN can shield themselves from it.

Edited by Dralcax

aouROFb.png

Being a rules-guy, it is not often that I hear an alternative to cannon that I like so much better that I would be willing to accept it; this is fabulous! This gives purpose to the otherwise pointlessly uninteligible chatter of the vahki; such a method of communication could convey volumes more information than simple speech: maps, faces, clues, and more.

Fast matoran-speek would be quicker than this proposal except that any single vahki could selectively choose what information it wanted to communicate. Rather than discuss the surroundings in HD, a group of vahki could plan around a low-resolution map of the area. For the purposes of the vahki, this is much more valuable than "clumsy" words; it maximizes the transmition of spatial information in much less time.

You guys are on to something!

MAP: It's very crude but I couldn't quite figure out the right proportions to make it look right.

Sound:

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/ofjj7jd0agtgohj/drawn_vahki_map.wav

Image:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/8jxw5i1ogkh6bxa/drawn%20vahki%20map.wav.png

Edited by Toa Vanson

Vahki: ^^!&@94172^^6146723842734!!!!!

Matoran: What did he say?

**keeps walking**

**Vahki runs up and stabs him**

That's kind of what I'm thinking about this. It would be really cool, and is a really neat idea, but there's the whole thing of... well... Matoran are supposed to be able to understand them. Such as, taking orders from them.

Of course, that wouldn't be a problem if they were able to speak normal-speed Matoran when speaking to Matoran, and spoke in spectro-language to each other. (The drawing-a-map thing is also a really cool thing they could do with it.)

Edited by Kopekemaster
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Or, more likely, they have nowhere near the understanding of wireless communication we have and to them wireless communication is just telepathic abilities and nobody really understands how they work except people like Artakha or the GBs. That would actually explain a lot about telepathy, like how the OoMN can shield themselves from it.

True, however, the type of technology required to build a vahki is one that makes the odds of stumbling across something like wireless communication very high; it is very unlikely that some matoran would not make such a discovery. That is why I suggested some sort of interference: because there is so much "noise", there is not much else to hear.

**keeps walking**

That's kind of what I'm thinking about this. It would be really cool, and is a really neat idea, but there's the whole thing of... well... Matoran are supposed to be able to understand them. Such as, taking orders from them.

Of course, that wouldn't be a problem if they were able to speak normal-speed Matoran when speaking to Matoran, and spoke in spectro-language to each other. (The drawing-a-map thing is also a really cool thing they could do with it.)

The mechanics required for each method of communication are virtually the same; a vahki could use them interchangeably. Since matoran aren't supposed to understand fast-speak anyway, replacing that with something like a spectrogram won't create any other problems.

**keeps walking**

In theory, Vahki would only speak to each other via spectrogram imagery. They would probably also have the ability to speak Matoran at a normal speed. Like I said before, if Matorans' speaking organs are mechanical, then reverse engineering that into a Vahki wouldn't be too difficult.

True, however, the type of technology required to build a vahki is one that makes the odds of stumbling across something like wireless communication very high; it is very unlikely that some matoran would not make such a discovery. That is why I suggested some sort of interference: because there is so much "noise", there is not much else to hear.

**keeps walking**

That's kind of what I'm thinking about this. It would be really cool, and is a really neat idea, but there's the whole thing of... well... Matoran are supposed to be able to understand them. Such as, taking orders from them.

The mechanics required for each method of communication are virtually the same; a vahki could use them interchangeably. Since matoran aren't supposed to understand fast-speak anyway, replacing that with something like a spectrogram won't create any other problems.

It would make sense for both methods to be used. Spectrogram would allow Vahki to exchange images, such as maps, or perhaps photographs, if that technology exists. Speaking Matoran would allow them to communicate with Matoran and make announcements etc. that don't need to be kept confidential. Edited by Toa Vanson

It would be really cool, and is a really neat idea, but there's the whole thing of... well... Matoran are supposed to be able to understand them. Such as, taking orders from them.

Except Matoran weren't supposed to be able to understand Vahki speech. At all. In Web of the Visorak, when the Toa Metru discover that the power surge caused the Vahki that remained functional to revert to speaking intelligibly, they find this surprising, and Whenua says something to the effect of "Everyone knows Vahki don't speak Matoran."

Edited by Junkbot Master of Trash
  • Upvote 1

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

Personally I've always thought of the Vahki's speaking ability to be redundant, seeing as they can possibly use their computer systems to communicate in a hivemind sort of fashion. But I like this idea! If they were to speak, they should speak in an intimidating way that instills fear into those being chased.

That, or they could use police sirens :P

• Upvote 1

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

It would be really cool, and is a really neat idea, but there's the whole thing of... well... Matoran are supposed to be able to understand them. Such as, taking orders from them.

Except Matoran weren't supposed to be able to understand Vahki speech. At all. In Web of the Visorak, when the Toa Metru discover that the power surge caused the Vahki that remained functional to revert to speaking intelligibly, they find this surprising, and Whenua says something to the effect of "Everyone knows Vahki don't speak Matoran."

As one, the Vahki shifted from four-legged mode to two-legged mode. As one, they raised their stun staffs and aimed them at Matau. Even more shocking, as one - they spoke!

"Surrender, intruder...or perish."

"Surrender, intruder" the Vahki repeated. Their voices were harsh, mechanical, and riddled with static. That was not half so disturbing as the fact that they even had voices. Vahki had always communicated via ultrasonics, never in an understandable language.

"Shine the light over here," Onewa said as he began searching through the debris. "My first clue was when you said that you could understand what the Vahki were saying."

"That's right," answered Whenua. "Everyone knows Vahki don't speak Matoran."

"Correction. Everyone outside of Po-Metru thinks they know that," said Onewa. "Remember, an Onu-Matoran may have designed the Vahki, but Po-Matoran built them."

[...]

[Onewa] tossed the robot head to Whenua. "Vahki always spoke Matoran. They just spoke it at such a high pitch and speed that no one could understand them. When you said they were making sense, I knew something had happened that affected their speech centers, and maybe the rest of them too."

• Upvote 1

Personally I've always thought of the Vahki's speaking ability to be redundant, seeing as they can possibly use their computer systems to communicate in a hivemind sort of fashion. But I like this idea! If they were to speak, they should speak in an intimidating way that instills fear into those being chased.

That, or they could use police sirens :P

I like the idea of an intimidating noise of some sort. I think it wouldn't be so much of a way of speaking, but perhaps a call of some sort. The first thing that came to my mind when I thought of "intimidating call that announces arrival" was the horn from the tripods in the Spielberg adaption of War of the Worlds.

Terrifying. So here's a scenario:

You're a Le-Matoran in Metru Nui. You and your friends decide it would be a good idea to go chute jumping - a highly dangerous and illegal sport. Normally the Vahki crack down on this sort of thing, but there have been a few illegal Kanoka trades recently, so they'll be looking out for that. You're having a good time, when suddenly, a mechanical howl resonates from somewhere in the district.

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/3owck71zkofbk6x/Vahki_Roar.wav

You have mere minutes to escape. You try to warn your companions, but some are far away. You're just about to make your escape when you hear the telltale beeping and pitch changing tones of the Vorzahk... 

Yeah, I know this would be an issue with stealth, but I just wanted to make the Vahki really intimidating.

Also, police sirens aren't as scary.

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/70l12300mzy3afg/vahki_siren_1.wav

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/bg8hmk1iz1jnvdg/vahki_siren_2.wav

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/sjwn5rysyj97hy7/vahki_siren_3.wav

I tried, but they came out kind of off. I guess that's ok though, because Matoran sirens wouldn't be the same as ours.

EDIT: Maybe sirens would sound like this?

Edited by Toa Vanson
  • Upvote 1

It IS the Matoran language, text-wise. It would just make it more difficult for normal citizens to decode it.

But since it was ultrasonic, they couldn't hear it at all, so no need. :)

They would need a special device to hear it, so if somebody trying to understand Vahki had to carry a device for that, however the speech worked, those who know it could make a device to decode it too. So it really makes no difference.

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

There are a very different views, apparently, on how Vahki speak. Some say they don't speak normal matoran at all, and only communicate via ultrasonic speech. Others say that they HAVE to speak normal matoran, since they clearly had to be able to give orders to the matoran. Very confusing, this is, and it makes it hard for me to actually comment on this anything other than the fact that this is very clever. Regardless of whether or not they could speak normal matoran, how ever, being able to communicate imagery, crudely or not, would give a definite advantage.

Edited by Toa Onaku

There are a very different views, apparently, on how Vahki speak. Some say they don't speak normal matoran at all, and only communicate via ultrasonic speech. Others say that they HAVE to speak normal matoran, since they clearly had to be able to give orders to the matoran. Very confusing, this is, and it makes it hard for me to actually comment on this anything other than the fact that this is very clever. Regardless of whether or not they could speak normal matoran, how ever, being able to communicate imagery, crudely or not, would give a definite advantage.

There's no ambiguity. It was ultrasonic (until the slowdown of some in the GC), and they didn't need to speak orders to Matoran. Anybody who failed to show up to work could be collected, shoved into their place of work, and they'd know what to do from there. :P

And in other situations, generally being fired at with the Vahki powers, chased, or otherwise attacked means "bad."

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

There's no ambiguity. It was ultrasonic (until the slowdown of some in the GC), and they didn't need to speak orders to Matoran. Anybody who failed to show up to work could be collected, shoved into their place of work, and they'd know what to do from there. :P

And in other situations, generally being fired at with the Vahki powers, chased, or otherwise attacked means "bad."

And the only possible "good" interaction with the Vahki is not interacting with the Vahki :P

@Toa Vanson -- Vahki are definitely too small to produce anything like the tripod noise :P Thing is, I can see why some Vahki might use sirens -- specifically Vorzahk and Keerahk, since staffs of Erasing and Confusion would turn Matoran into worse workers (I never really understood why those powers weren't considered counterintuitive), so sirens would be useful to give Matoran one last warning before scrambling their brains for the rest of the day/week/whatever. However, given the desire for total silence within Ko-Metru, sirens on Keerahk would probably be a supremely bad idea, and as for Vorzahk, the distinctive sound of them smashing through everything in their path is probably siren enough :P The Vahki are already super-intimidating as they are -- I'm not sure sirens would be necessary for intimidation.

bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

And the only possible "good" interaction with the Vahki is not interacting with the Vahki :P

@Toa Vanson -- Vahki are definitely too small to produce anything like the tripod noise :P Thing is, I can see why some Vahki might use sirens -- specifically Vorzahk and Keerahk, since staffs of Erasing and Confusion would turn Matoran into worse workers (I never really understood why those powers weren't considered counterintuitive), so sirens would be useful to give Matoran one last warning before scrambling their brains for the rest of the day/week/whatever. However, given the desire for total silence within Ko-Metru, sirens on Keerahk would probably be a supremely bad idea, and as for Vorzahk, the distinctive sound of them smashing through everything in their path is probably siren enough :P The Vahki are already super-intimidating as they are -- I'm not sure sirens would be necessary for intimidation.

Yeah, I just thought of the sirens since someone somewhere above mentioned the Vahki having police sirens.

EDIT @Toa Onaku - yes, that would be part of the reasoning behind this kind of communication. RahiSpeak mentioned that Vahki would be able to exchange low resolution maps or images, giving the Vahki a definite advantage.

Edited by Toa Vanson