That 2001 poster was a hint

Yup. It's a great design from an aesthetic standpoint but the fact that it foreshadows the truth behind the island is mindblowing. Really amazing promotional images. 

When the twist was first revealed, I looked back upon the posters - The infected Kanohi dualism, the Tahnok Kal etc. and it just came all together. Really impressive.

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

Yup. It's a great design from an aesthetic standpoint but the fact that it foreshadows the truth behind the island is mindblowing. Really amazing promotional images. 

When the twist was first revealed, I looked back upon the posters - The infected Kanohi dualism, the Tahnok Kal etc. and it just came all together. Really impressive.

-NotS

Which Tahnok-Kal image are you referring to?

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Always a fun thing to remember. And still one of the best posters!

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Funny, I just realized this a few days ago. Just one more mindblowing hint to an utterly mindblowing twist. Seven years later and it still amazes me.

It's even more genius when you realize that the island was essentially Mata Nui's mask, which ties in especially well into 2001's emphasis on mask collecting. The Toa searched for their masks without realizing that their entire hunt was taking place on the mask of the Great Spirit himself.

• Upvote 6

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

Well they do say Hindsight is 20/20. It is easy to see information that was before believe as nothing once the answer is revealed.

• Upvote 1

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I think the opposite is true, I believe that the old pictures used the hau, what looked like an infected hau, to symbolize the toa (but the hau is a symbol of mata-nui) and when looking back, they did mention that he was asleep below the island, but I think his face being there was more of paying a little bit of homage to 2001.

I'm digging I'm digging I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging I'm digging I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging

I think the opposite is true, I believe that the old pictures used the hau, what looked like an infected hau, to symbolize the toa (but the hau is a symbol of mata-nui) and when looking back, they did mention that he was asleep below the island, but I think his face being there was more of paying a little bit of homage to 2001.

Mata Nui's face was always going to be beneath the island from Day One. That's why they named the landmarks of the island after facial features.

• Upvote 6

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

Well, the image of the island paired with an evil face was established before, so doing a similar concept for a new wave seems like a good way to get people interested in it. The images association with the Bionicle theme ensures no one will be confused by the picture at first glance - it is inherently Bionicle.

Doesn't really have to be symbolic.

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

It could be a throw-off as to the meaning of the first poster. If you want people to assume that the first thing is symbolic (the Mata Nui Mask Poster) the easiest way to fool your audience is to present something that actual is symbolic that appears to be in the same pattern as the first, and let people connect the dots. 

• 5 weeks later...

Have any of you guys seen this: Christian+Faber+files_The+secret.jpgThe 99 is 1999, when this sketch was drawn. this is a drawing by the main concept artist for bionicle, and it was locked in a drawer for the duration of Bionicle and referred to only as "the Big Story Engine." the mata-nui robot was in the story from the beginning.

• Upvote 1

Have any of you guys seen this: Christian+Faber+files_The+secret.jpgThe 99 is 1999, when this sketch was drawn. this is a drawing by the main concept artist for bionicle, and it was locked in a drawer for the duration of Bionicle and referred to only as "the Big Story Engine." the mata-nui robot was in the story from the beginning.

Wait, if the head is "CORE 2," what's Core 1? Karda Nui? Had they thought of that at that point?

banner.jpg

CORE 1 might've been the prototype robot, or possibly the heart/Karda nui, yes.

• Upvote 1

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

It was there since the beginning? I feel betrayed, while also wanting to give kudos to the Bionicle team.

Choose "impressed" over "betrayed". It's less stressful. ;)

• Upvote 4
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

• 4 weeks later...

If I may blow a hole in your theory:

Isn't that Hau an infected Hau?  Or is it just rusted and stuff because of age?  (Does protodermis even rust at all?)  I just thought it was an infected Hau, because Makuta had taken over the island and all that.

Yeah, what he said... kinda.

So why would they use an infected Hau and not, say, a normal grey one?

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

So why would they use an infected Hau and not, say, a normal grey one?

The infected Hau is actually a shapeshifed Kraahkan, it's a combination of the mask of the Makuta and of the mask of Mata Nui (i.e. the Island Mata Nui).

• Upvote 2

Remember when they did the same thing with G2? 

bio2.jpg

Nah, just kidding. :P Had to do a quick edit after looking over all those old posters.

Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if they were trying to hint at it (after all, those posters have been the subject of this same discussion since 2008 :P ). Still, it is funny to think that it was hidden in plain sight that whole time. :)

• Upvote 3

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

T1S, that is hilarious. (Although technically to do it right you'd need to do it with the Mask of Ultimate Power. :P)

That perhaps and actually put half the mask on half the island.

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

T1S, that is hilarious. (Although technically to do it right you'd need to do it with the Mask of Ultimate Power. :P)

That perhaps and actually put half the mask on half the island.

Well, I couldn't get a HD CGI version of the MoUP, so I settled for this instead:

skull.jpg

:P

• Upvote 2

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

This is a cool image. what if the big reveal is that the Mask of Ultimate Power was in fact the Golden mask of Skull Spiders. What a reveal that would be.

Onua.png

*yawns* :P

Nah, it's confirmed that the gold MoSS controls the spideys, while the MoUP controls all four elements at once.

Well, there's also that bit in Skull Slicer's description that says he and the others were reanimated by the MoSS. The Toa also questioned its absence from the pedestal guarded by the LoSS--they did this just before that undead hand rips through the ground. 

So, perhaps it does more than just control spiders?

And don't you mean six elements? :P

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

*yawns* :P

Nah, it's confirmed that the gold MoSS controls the spideys, while the MoUP controls all four elements at once.

Four? Don't you mean 6?

Eh, Sniped by T1S... Bugger... :P

Edited by Prowl Nightwolf

Onua.png