Kopaka is turning yellow?

my '01 Kopaka is literally turning yellow! on the side of his mask and in some of the details of the body. it's like the plastic is losing its color. he's been sitting in his can in the garage for a while, so he's not roughed up.

what's going on? and how can I save the toa of slipping from turning yellow?

• Upvote 1

I dunno if it works for classic Bionicle parts but you can try this method: 

• Upvote 7

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

While not sure if it applies to Lego products but I know there is a condition where white plastic yellows over time as it ages. This is sped up if left out in heavy yellow lights such as basic house lighting or worse yet, the Sun itself. Japanese Takara Beast Wars Tigatron is a big shower of this. The American release had a pre-yellowed plastic however the Japanese release is a crisper white that will ultimately Yellow over time. Being that it is 14 ish years later it is not a surprise there is some yellow tinting going on.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I also have this fading problem with some of my parts, but moreso in the rubbery plastic parts like the Inika masks. I use a Kanohi Iden for one of my MOCs, and the mask is showing off a bit of a gray tone when under a light.

It's kind of ironic that the colors are fading, even if they are on my Toa of Light  <_<

This is a well-known problem with white LEGO bricks, which is made worse by exposure to sunlight or smoke. I've seen a lot of discussion of techniques to fix this but I don't know which ones work. A Google search for "How to De-Yellow White LEGO Bricks" should bring up some of the discussions if you want to seek out solutions for yourself.

Here is the page I was referring to regarding the "yellowing" of platics: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Photodegradation

Apparently it is called Photodegradation. There is a treatment option listed on the TFwiki page above regarding a clear container and a hydrogen peroxide solution. Then exposing it to Sunlight to restore the white pigment. There are some disclaimers so read them all before actually attempting this.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

On this subject I think my old Kopaka nuva and Kopaka mata parts are stored in boxes somewhere in my house, does that mean the next time I get them out they'll be yellow? 

Yes, all plastics and paper products will yellow over time, UV light will accelerate the process.

The yellowing that came from second had smoke is not the same thing it's a stain left by the chemicals for the cigarette. If you live with a smoker that smokes in the house I would suggest washing any toy you don't want yellowed in miled dish soap ever so often.

• Upvote 1

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

On this subject I think my old Kopaka nuva and Kopaka mata parts are stored in boxes somewhere in my house, does that mean the next time I get them out they'll be yellow? 

Yes, all plastics and paper products will yellow over time, UV light will accelerate the process.

The yellowing that came from second had smoke is not the same thing it's a stain left by the chemicals for the cigarette. If you live with a smoker that smokes in the house I would suggest washing any toy you don't want yellowed in miled dish soap ever so often.

Well no one in my house smokes and the boxes are never on window surfaces, I've had said pieces for roughly twelve years I think, will they look yellow by now? 

It's time to move on.

Well no one in my house smokes and the boxes are never on window surfaces, I've had said pieces for roughly twelve years I think, will they look yellow by now? 

Yellow-ish, yes. It's a natural process that happens as plastic ages, nothing can stop it.

• Upvote 1

You are their rock.

Jang's method works beautifully. I used it on many classic space sets and a Matoro Mahri once. I definitely recommend giving it a try.

Also I don't know if it does happen naturally, I have had some sets for a real long time, without discoloration. Even when Takanuva was exposed to the sun for nearly a year, no effect. 

• Upvote 1

I've actually heard that yellowing of Lego can also be caused by too LITTLE light, since the plastic is formulated to stay consistent in normal conditions, which includes a day/night cycle (here's the best source I can find on that fact, from Lego designer Mark Stafford). So that could well be the cause of the original poster's problem.

Of course, it's also worth noting that Lego has reformulated many of their colors for greater color consistency over the years (which was part of the reason for the 2003/2004 color shift that replaced the old grays), so this problem is more likely to afflict older parts than newer parts regardless of age.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I've actually heard that yellowing of Lego can also be caused by too LITTLE light, since the plastic is formulated to stay consistent in normal conditions, which includes a day/night cycle (here's the best source I can find on that fact, from Lego designer Mark Stafford). So that could well be the cause of the original poster's problem.

Of course, it's also worth noting that Lego has reformulated many of their colors for greater color consistency over the years (which was part of the reason for the 2003/2004 color shift that replaced the old grays), so this problem is more likely to afflict older parts than newer parts regardless of age.

Also each batch of plastic is a little different. Parts from a set made today may yellow sooner that parts mand a week ago, or next week.

You are their rock.

My Kanohi Iden was once a bit yellow, but for a custom character I painted it green to show how poisoned with hordika he was. A year later I wanted to put Matoro back together again, so I chipped the glossy paint off. Once I did is was more white then when I had originally bought it years before.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought a Super Nintendo Entertainment System from a garage sale a couple of years ago, and it's pretty discolored.

All my sets are packed in plastic bins in my garage's attic. I wonder when I finally pull my Kopaka out if he'll be yellow...

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water