Why isn't Lego Star Wars popular on this board?

Jobber

You'd think the Star Wars line would be as popular here as Ninjago or Chima, but nope. Why is that? Is the theme becoming more niche as time passes?

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

From my experience with BZPower, I've noticed that its members tend to be more attracted to themes that have a progressing story, not one with a pre-established one. It makes for more things to talk about. 

• Upvote 5

bZpOwEr

From my experience with BZPower, I've noticed that its members tend to be more attracted to themes that have a progressing story, not one with a pre-established one. It makes for more things to talk about. 

Pretty much this.

Over the years since about 2006, Lego has just been making rehashes of vehicles and scenes from the movies (save for The Clone Wars and Rebels). Just look at the new TIE Fighter! We've seen it multiple times already in the movies and from Lego. 

I'm not really sure why no one talks about The Clone Wars or Rebels that much here, but I think it may be the fact that a lot of people know where the stories of each series will likely end up. The Clone Wars series has already ended, and Rebels (from what I know) is not too popular among Star Wars fans at the moment. I still would like to watch the first episode of Rebels when I get the chance.

Maybe there will be more talk once Episode VII comes out.  :shrugs:

• Upvote 2

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

Pretty much this.

Over the years since about 2006, Lego has just been making rehashes of vehicles and scenes from the movies (save for The Clone Wars and Rebels). Just look at the new TIE Fighter! We've seen it multiple times already in the movies and from Lego. 

I'm not really sure why no one talks about The Clone Wars or Rebels that much here, but I think it may be the fact that a lot of people know where the stories of each series will likely end up. The Clone Wars series has already ended, and Rebels (from what I know) is not too popular among Star Wars fans at the moment. I still would like to watch the first episode of Rebels when I get the chance.

I thought Rebels had a generally positive response? I liked the 1st season anyways. But what you say is true, there has been a lot of revamps lately.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Pretty much this.

I thought Rebels had a generally positive response? I liked the 1st season anyways. But what you say is true, there has been a lot of revamps lately.

Like I said, I haven't seen Rebels yet, but I've heard mixed opinions that are mostly negative. I would like to see the show at some point to at least be able to give my opinion on it.

Also, I nearly forgot about the construction figures coming out later this year! Maybe more talk will start once they are released and reviewed (possibly by the BZP staff, but who knows).

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

The lack of an ongoing story to discuss is definitely a major factor. From my understanding, though, there are at least a few LEGO Star Wars fans on BZPower; they just don't tend to talk much about that theme here. Same goes for themes like Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and Super Heroes. There are lots of fans of these themes on BZPower; that much is clear just from the set reviews, discussion in the blogs, and the votes each year on which Toy Fair coverage people want to see first. But there's not a lot for people to discuss about these themes from a story standpoint that wouldn't be relegated to Completely Off-Topic (since the stories are largely independent of the LEGO themes, unlike LEGO in-house themes like Ninjago where the story and products go hand-in-hand).

Another factor to consider is that many AFOL discussion forums like Brickset and Eurobricks have lots of discussion of LEGO Star Wars as well as other licensed themes. By contrast, a lot of BZPower members come here specifically to discuss themes like BIONICLE, Hero Factory, Ninjago, and Legends of Chima that AFOL sites often disregard as weird or childish. Discussion of these themes flourishes on BZPower because there aren't a lot of other places where they can be discussed in such depth.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

Lol what's system.

Really though unless it's constraction BZPower doesn't really care to discuss it too much. Most topics in non-constraction forums are tragically short-lived in any case. Ninjago is one of the only themes that has a decent amount of discussion here, and even then it absolutely pales in comparison with the amount of discussion it gets in other fansites.

• Upvote 1

AXKP5KC.png

Here I got something we could discuss. How do you guys like my MOCs of the Jedi Interceptors?
They are of my Reptilian Jedi from another Forum I once RPed on. Oh and two random characters as his crew mates for a larger MOC I'm working on...
Step269.png

Edited by Prowl Nightwolf

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Yeah I like the Star wars in general but I am not one of them major fans that knows every in and out detail. As such I have a few of the sets of old and new. Though due to certain financial hardships and not exactly having the room for all these sets I have limited my purchases of such sets. That doesn't mean I don't like them or maybe discus what sets I would like to see released... For example I am loving the Rebel's series and wouldn't mind getting the Ghost as a set, though never picked it up yet.

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

$500 Massive starship? Are you talking about the Ghost or some other Star Destroyer style stuff I seen online before?

Onua.png

$500 Massive starship? Are you talking about the Ghost or some other Star Destroyer style stuff I seen online before?

That works, yeah. Most of the Lego Star Wars sets that are popular tend to be large from my understanding, at least $100-$200 apiece, and getting into the $300-$500 range, esp. on the aftermarket. I thought there was a $1000 SW set, but could be wrong. 

It's a far cry from the money I spent to get seven Bionicle sets. The theme is more affordable. 

Well I think the Ghost retails at around $100 being that it is a starship after all. You are right about some of the larger(talking 3ft +) Models out there that are far from being a inexpensive set. I think I seen a Video over an Actual Millennium Falcon 1:1 scale with the figures that the builders took 2 days straight and 5 people to build. It cost in the $1,000 range.

Onua.png

Pretty much this.

& Pretty much this!

The sixish main movies are pretty meh for me, but I actually really liked Star Wars: The Clone Wars, but I didn't get into it until after it had finished,m I've read less than half a dozen Star Wars novels * they never really were my thing, but the main thing for me was that that there wasn't an ongoing story I was interested in.

Although;

Most of us have limited budgets, up to the point we don't have like $500 to spend on a single massive starship. 

I strongly doubt I'll pay more than $500 on LEGO products in a single year, even with a job & expendable time, as far as 2015 is concerned I'll buy Wave 1's 13 sets, Wave 2's 5 sets, & maybe try and get the Hero Pack &/or an extra LoSS, and maybe even a second of each Protector, & a Lego Creations 'box', &/or an Architecture set; but all of that will still be under $500!

Admittedly if I were to get all of those things for less than $500 I would have to rely on a discount of some sort of another, but give me $500 & I certainly could do it without anything second hand at all by the end of 2015 (well due to my own position I might need to by a Hero Pack second hand but unopened...)

LEGO Star Wars doesn't have a storyline which is really growing, it's mostly rehashes, & a fair potion of it is much more expensive than other Themes such as Bionicle, the mean average of LEGO Star Wars 2015 seems to be about (all US$ from now on), $60, but taking away some of the outliers, it is still about $30, where as Bionicle is roughly $14 as a mean average...

& again; Star Wars' story isn't really ...progressing ...Bionicle isn't really either, but it's (re)started quite recently, Star Wars is basically waiting around for Rebels to get more fans or VII...

LEGO products are pretty expensive; LEGO Star Wars is obnoxious if it's primarily for kids (hint-hint).

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

LEGO products are pretty expensive; LEGO Star Wars is obnoxious if it's primarily for kids (hint-hint).

^I second this^

Most of the time you are paying for the name of the product anyway. I'm pretty sure that just slapping the Star Wars logo on the box of a set brings up the price by about $10 (in the U.S. and other currency equivalents for other nations).

^I second this^

Most of the time you are paying for the name of the product anyway. I'm pretty sure that just slapping the Star Wars logo on the box of a set brings up the price by about $10 (in the U.S. and other currency equivalents for other nations).

Star Wars sets are often more expensive than sets from other themes, but I think the amount of that which is due to the license is often overstated. More often, when a LEGO Star Wars set seems overpriced, it's on account of specialized molds, decorations, and recolors driving the price up. This is most obvious with large, specialized, multi-piece alien characters like Jabba the Hutt or the Rancor. Generally, most of the Star Wars sets this year have a pretty fair price-per-piece, at least in the US.

• Upvote 1

I agree some of the sets are a bit overpriced, such as the UCS'.  I just got the Imperial Star Destroyer a few days back and it set me back about $140. Is it worth it? I'd say very much so. The amount of detail is outstanding, especially on the control tower. Though, I wish there was more inner-detail among other things. But that's basically my limit when it comes to spending that much on a set. Which means something like the Death Star is out of my reach...Sigh.

But yeah, I plan on getting the Ghost in a couple of weeks or so. 

Edited by The Bone-Snatcher

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

We used to have a thriving Official Lego Star Wars Discussion topic in LGD years ago. BZP going down meant a lot of us stopped visiting the site and with the old topic gone, so did the conversation. 

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

Because we're all trekkies, here.

(Just kidding)

• Upvote 1

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

• 2 weeks later...

So do I. I think revamps are a good thing, so long as they really improve the model and don't happen too often. 

And yes, UCS sets are overpriced. But it's worth getting a few of them. So glad I didn't pay £1000 or £2000 for a Millennium Falcon.

Don't even get me started on Cloud City though. Looking at those box prices made me choke. 

The recent MTT was a down grade though.

It was smaller, and had less carrying capacity but I wouldn't call it a downgrade. I think the most recent one had considerably better colors and shaping than the 2007 one, on which the cannon housings felt oddly elongated and the curve of the top was inaccurate. The latest version still isn't flawless by any means, but I think it's an improvement as far as accuracy is concerned.

• Upvote 1

Did Lego announce a Cloud City remake?

No, sadly. That's one of the many overdue remakes, considering how many interesting scenes are there. I think that a new one could be similar to the most recent Death Star by being a microscale representation of the overall structure, but with full-scale scenes inside (or, failing that, like the new Helicarrier with the whole thing microscale and featuring tiny ships and figs).

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Yeah, a new cloud city is really needed. Having built one, the techniques are really basic. Something like the original, with a diorama like style. 

It would also be interesting how they could make a new Death star 2 set. I don't think that set really needs a redesign though.