What does it mean now?

I've been wondering about this for a while, and while it's probably been discussed before, I thought I'd bring it up here anyways.

We know that in G1, "BIONICLE" meant "Biological Chronicle," and that it was a reference to Mata Nui's true nature. The entire story was about the inhabitants of his giant robot body i.e. the story of the robot's biology. 

That's all nice and good, but the name is designed for specifically for the story of G1. Of course, G2 still has the same name, and we should probably assume it stands for the same thing. Assuming that the new story doesn't have the giant robot twist, what does "BIONICLE" refer to now? 

• Upvote 1

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

There's no telling. Currently, the name has as much meaning for fans as it did for the majority of the 2001 story—which is to say, apart from an epic sound and vague similarities to the word "biomechanical", not much. It's entirely possible that the new story will implement some unifying element that justifies the "Biological" portion of the name, but until that happens we really can't do anything but speculate.

• Upvote 5

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Well don't be looking for a giant robot to surface and reek havoc or something. I heard somewhere the Gen2 story team has no plans or intent of there being a giant robot under this island. Don't know how accurate that is as no telling what the years will breed. Down the line they may just decide they want a giant robot.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I believe its just a franchise name as well. G1 had huge ambitions, which they completed most of them!

G2, though early to tell, is a reprisal of heroes we know but in a new world with new adventures.

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

The name had meaning, but as Lego wants money and fans want their old heroes back no matter how different they are, they have kept the name for marketing purposes.

I know this has been used by other companies, but I am having trouble remembering at the moment.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

I'm another person who believes it's just a franchise name. A possible meaning it might have is that of Generation 1's; being that it's an actual biological chronicle, as previously stated. However, I strongly doubt that the giant robot idea will be making a return as Lego is planning the reboot to go for three years only, but Generation 1 was also meant to only go for three years, with the third year having Mata Nui awaken.

So, my main point is that anything is possible, but at the moment there isn't much, if not any storyline relevant meaning.

I'm another person who believes it's just a franchise name. A possible meaning it might have is that of Generation 1's; being that it's an actual biological chronicle, as previously stated. However, I strongly doubt that the giant robot idea will be making a return as Lego is planning the reboot to go for three years only, but Generation 1 was also meant to only go for three years, with the third year having Mata Nui awaken.

So, my main point is that anything is possible, but at the moment there isn't much, if not any storyline relevant meaning.

Do you have any sources for this?

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

For Generation 1 initially meant to have ran for three years? No, not at the moment. As for Generation 2 going for three years? You can find out about that in the Bionicle NYCC panel video found on BZPower's YouTube channel.  here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bionicle

"The first wave of sets and further storyline details were unveiled at the New York Comic Con on October 9, 2014. Lego also confirmed that the reboot would last at least three years, spanning through to 2017 and possibly further." -Wikipedia

Edited by Rooster Nui

For Generation 1 initially meant to have ran for three years? No, not at the moment. As for Generation 2 going for three years? You can find out about that in the Bionicle NYCC panel video found on BZPower's YouTube channel.  here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bionicle

"The first wave of sets and further storyline details were unveiled at the New York Comic Con on October 9, 2014. Lego also confirmed that the reboot would last at least three years, spanning through to 2017 and possibly further." -Wikipedia

I meant G1, I already knew that about G2. G1 was supposed to last until 2008, but the story team felt that there were still some unanswered questions and so moved the story to Bara Magna via Teridax's usurpation to begin that process.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

apparently, (according to the Wikipedia article) Bionicle was meant to run for 20 years continuously. I think I remember GregF mentioning something about that, that Lego was having a meeting back in 08 or 07 about the future story "up to 2020".

Edited by Takametru007

I meant G1, I already knew that about G2. G1 was supposed to last until 2008, but the story team felt that there were still some unanswered questions and so moved the story to Bara Magna via Teridax's usurpation to begin that process.

G1 had MANY possible end dates floated over the years, since Lego liked to have contingency plans in place in case the line suddenly failed. The Great Spirit Mata Nui could have been awakened in 2008, or 2003, or even at the end of 2001 if it became necessary to draw the story to a close. But each of those times the decision was made to extend the theme before that point was reached.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

apparently, (according to the Wikipedia article) Bionicle was meant to run for 20 years continuously. I think I remember GregF mentioning something about that, that Lego was having a meeting back in 08 or 07 about the future story "up to 2020".

I heard about this as well. After confronting the element lords and Teridax, Mata Nui and friends were supposed fight against rogue Great Beings, and somewhere in the mix Takanuva would achieve his destiny. What they would have done after that is beyond me.

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Takanuva as a Turaga? that could be interesting to have seen.

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I'd bet any amount of money that it has to do with the Belsnickel

Although I've been wrong about him before :P

In all seriousness though, it is most likely just a name this time around. I mean, it could mean the same thing (albeit for very different reasons), but odds are it is prely a name this time around.

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

I've been wondering about this for a while, and while it's probably been discussed before, I thought I'd bring it up here anyways.

We know that in G1, "BIONICLE" meant "Biological Chronicle," and that it was a reference to Mata Nui's true nature. The entire story was about the inhabitants of his giant robot body i.e. the story of the robot's biology. 

That's all nice and good, but the name is designed for specifically for the story of G1. Of course, G2 still has the same name, and we should probably assume it stands for the same thing. Assuming that the new story doesn't have the giant robot twist, what does "BIONICLE" refer to now? 

Yeah, it's a brand name so regardless of whether or not they will use the original driving force behind the story, the BIONICLE name is going to stay no matter what.

But wow, until this post I never made the "Biological Chronicle" connection to the MU twist. That is actually extremely clever. Makes me respect that story engine so much more.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Yeah, it's a brand name so regardless of whether or not they will use the original driving force behind the story, the BIONICLE name is going to stay no matter what.

But wow, until this post I never made the "Biological Chronicle" connection to the MU twist. That is actually extremely clever. Makes me respect that story engine so much more.

-NotS

Yep, Christian Faber came up with the whole universe as an analogy for the treatments he was undergoing to keep a benign brain tumor from becoming malignant. He saw the Toa as medicine for a giant, comatose patient and Makuta as the infection they were fighting, and that's where the "biological chronicle" name came from.

• Upvote 6

Well it would have, though be called something about tiki mask people on an island instead of the anti-bodies in a giant robot.

Onua.png

Yep, Christian Faber came up with the whole universe as an analogy for the treatments he was undergoing to keep a benign brain tumor from becoming malignant. He saw the Toa as medicine for a giant, comatose patient and Makuta as the infection they were fighting, and that's where the "biological chronicle" name came from.

Well, I knew that part, just never related it to the name of the franchise. xD

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg