Shibboleth

SPIRIT

(For more information on shibboleths, see this Wikipedia article.)

Basically, a shibboleth is like a secret password that you can use to quickly identify if someone is a member of an exclusive group (in this case, the Bionicle fandom).  My question for you is: if you could make up a shibboleth for the Bionicle fandom, what would it be?

Example:

Shibboleth: Trust in the mask...

Response: Let it be your guide.

Then you know that anyone who responds with anything other than "let it be your guide" is clearly not a Bionicle fan and probably has no opinion on whether you should get Skull Basher or Skull Warrior.

Just curious for what people would come up with.

**Bonus points for making it both something you can inconspicuously slip into conversation, as well as something that's easily recognizable.**

• Upvote 15

Ooh, I like this idea. :) Can't think of anything at the moment, since I just woke up and my brain still hasn't caught up with me yet. :P I'll post one or two later if something comes to mind. 

EDIT: How about this?

S: Our destinies are not written in stone--

R: --We have to find them for ourselves

So, does it have to be a quote from any of the official material? Or is it something we'd just make up that would be recognized by anyone who was more than a casual fan?

Edited by The~1st~Shadow
  • Upvote 4

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I say use half of a famous Bionicle quote.

"The Makuta was free to unleash his shadows..."

"... And unleash them, he did."

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

S: Wake one,

R: And you wake then all.

• Upvote 6

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Ooh, I like this idea. :) Can't think of anything at the moment, since I just woke up and my brain still hasn't caught up with me yet. :P I'll post one or two later if something comes to mind. 

EDIT: How about this?

S: Our destinies are not written in stone--

R: --We have to find them for ourselves

So, does it have to be a quote from any of the official material? Or is it something we'd just make up that would be recognized by anyone who was more than a casual fan?

Either or.  Obviously official quotes, especially from the movies, are more likely to trigger a realization, but you could probably come up with non-quotes that accomplish the same thing.

So are you supposed to go around saying this to people?

Yeah, that's sort of how shibboleths work, so they work best if a non-fan doesn't realize what you're up to.  (And of course, this is all pretend anyway)

• Upvote 1

As far as iconic goes, I think "you cannot destroy me/for I am nothing" is a decent one.

Though usually I just flat-out say BIONICLE because even if someone isn't into it they've at least heard of it, and the "oh hey I remember those" reaction is pretty good.

• Upvote 5

OpAXNpl.jpg

Not sure about this one, but it's the first one that came to mind:

S: Every living being profits

R: From the death of another

• Upvote 2

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

THAT'S PERFECT!

The only problem is that no one will want to be around you if you said that shibboleth and didn't get a response, because you'll look like a psycho.

But really, would you want to spent your time in the company of non-Bionicle fans at all?

This is the perfect way of distinguishing friend from foe.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939
  • Upvote 1

"You wake one" "and you wake them all"

I mean, that's the Bohrok's slogan, along with "Beware the Swarm." If you don't know the bohrok, or at least haven't seen their awesome design and gimmicks, than you're probably not an MU fan.

• Upvote 2

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I am immediately thinking it sounds like what NPCs say in Oblivion.

I'd have to do with:  None of us choose our destiny.                  And none of us can defy it.

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

You could also say "In the time, before time, there was the Great Spirit Mata Nui..." in Vakama's voice, and someone who is a fan might say something about it. :P

I am immediately thinking it sounds like what NPCs say in Oblivion.

I'd have to do with:  None of us choose our destiny.                  And none of us can defy it.

I always liked that quote.

Edited by Iaredios
  • Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

S: I see us taking a romantic ride-drive.

R: And you believe Vakama has odd visions.

Honestly surprised none of you have said this yet.

This would probably be the easiest one to play off as a joke if it turns out you're dealing with a non-fan.  Also could be useful at picking up female fans?

*Pro-tip, do NOT try to pick up female Bionicle fans with that line.

• Upvote 18

S: There are a thousand ways I can destroy you

R: And 941 of them hurt

I can think of no possible way saying "There are a thousand ways I can destroy you" to a complete stranger would end badly.

That gave me a good laugh. Hats off to you.

But yes, that's probably true. On the other hand, though, the line is so over-the-top and nonsensical out of context that I doubt most people would take it seriously at all. But yes, not the vest shibboleth. 

Still, couldn't resist. :P

Edited by toa kopaka4372

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

S: You cannot destroy me,

R: For I am nothing. 

Nobody but a true Bionicle fan would ever say that.

Given a person says only one line, your average supervillain actually would be very likely to say at least some form of the first line. Most likely followed or preceded (or both) by "Fools!"

~B~

• Upvote 1

Given a person says only one line, your average supervillain actually would be very likely to say at least some form of the first line. Most likely followed or preceded (or both) by "Fools!"

~B~

Yes, but nobody would respond to "You cannot destroy me," with "For I am nothing." unless they understood the context (or were really humble/discouraged???). Most likely you'd get something like "Ha, yeah right."

• Upvote 1

~B~

Yes, but nobody would respond to "You cannot destroy me," with "For I am nothing." unless they understood the context (or were really humble/discouraged???). Most likely you'd get something like "Ha, yeah right."

Actually when it's split between two people like that it sounds less poetic and more like a summary of a colossally one-sided battle.

• Upvote 5

OpAXNpl.jpg

Ever since that proposition was posted on this thread, I've been trying to remember where else I've heard an incredibly similar sentiment/statement.

I know I've heard that sort of thing in other fiction, I just can't remember where! :cry:  :censored:

But yes I'm fairly certain "Ha, yeah right." is pretty reasonable, I'm just sure there would be overlap with (an) other fandom(s)...

(I'm not saying they would commonly use it etc, merely that it could trigger something else entirely *shrugs*)

Edit: spelling

Edited by Iblis

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

I've never been one for subtlety when it comes to my nerdy interests. I usually prefer to let my nerd flag fly (there's a reason I love to buy T-shirts related to my interests), and let the judgment fall where it may. So if I did want to bring up BIONICLE to somebody, I'd be more likely to ask "hey, you a BIONICLE fan?" than to use any kind of special code. Granted, I'd only do that if it came up in conversation naturally, not just out of the blue, because while I'm not afraid of seeming nerdy I don't want to seem like the sort of person who wants to turn any and every conversation towards my own interests.

It's interesting seeing how hard it's been for anybody to come up with one of these that really sticks, though. If I wanted to subtly admit to being a brony there are no shortage of memetic lines I could work into a conversation without much issue (like "It needs to be 20% cooler" or "The fun has been doubled!"). But here, people aren't having much more luck than back when people were trying to generate BIONICLE memes in General Discussion. Most things end up sounding forced and awkward. I'd feel much more self-conscious about throwing a lot of these lines into a conversation than I would about just straight-up admitting to being a BIONICLE fan. I wonder what it is about BIONICLE that makes coming up with memes and inside jokes so difficult? Besides many of its most frequently quoted lines being narmy one-liners.

If I could throw one into the pot I'd say...

"When wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith"
"And it can overcome all"

But even that would seem cheesy and awkward in casual conversation. Not to mention it's a relatively obscure reference for people who didn't play the MNOG. But what piece of BIONICLE media ever WASN'T obscure?

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 9

In all seriousness though, I think Aanchir is right. There aren't many lines that could be both a secret "I'm a fan!" code, AND something that could be played off casually. There also aren't any outstanding lines that appeal to EVERY Bionicle fan. I agree with some others here when I say that the MoL line is the best one.

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

S: In the time before time...

R: ...on the mysterious island of Mata Nui

S: Six heroes washed ashore on a golden beach...

R: ... and new, powerful legends were born.

S: I've mastered the art of travelling great distances...

R: ...by moving very slowly.

Here's one that doesn't really have a response:

Another Hafu original!

My favorites so far are

S: You cannot destroy me...

R: ...for I am nothing.

and

S: You wake one...

R: ...you wake them all.

Edited by Toa Vanson
  • Upvote 5

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

S:Clean it all

R:It must be cleaned

Come on guys you can do better than this

That's the best one so far. You could easily put that into normal conversation without it seeming weird, yet it's unique enough that it wouldn't seem like something that you would normally say.

• Upvote 2

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username.