Shibboleth

SPIRIT

How about whenever exaggerating quantity, use 941 instead of thousands or tons. Again, not really a shibboleth, but could be quite subtly done to non-fans, while fans should recognise the hint.

I'm gonna start doing this.

"Dude, it's like 941 degrees outside"

"Jeez, there's about 941 bugs out here!"

"That test was loooong. Like 941 questions."

No, no, no.  You've gotta use them right.

"There are like 1000 bugs out here; 941 of them hurt."

"There were like 1000 questions on that test; 941 of them hurt."

I've gotta do that sometime XD

S: Have you seen the new Kardas-ian episode?

R: No, I heard it Dragon-ed on forever.

Am I doing this right? You could slip this into a convo.

• Upvote 5

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

• 4 weeks later...

I've never been one for subtlety when it comes to my nerdy interests. I usually prefer to let my nerd flag fly (there's a reason I love to buy T-shirts related to my interests), and let the judgment fall where it may. So if I did want to bring up BIONICLE to somebody, I'd be more likely to ask "hey, you a BIONICLE fan?" than to use any kind of special code. Granted, I'd only do that if it came up in conversation naturally, not just out of the blue, because while I'm not afraid of seeming nerdy I don't want to seem like the sort of person who wants to turn any and every conversation towards their interests.

Not to be a massive dork, but nerds and geeks are pretty different. Nerds are more academically focused and geeks are more passionate about their hobbies. Dorks are people who know and care about the differences. Anyway, most, if not, all bionicle quotes are too obscure to be understood by someone who isn't a fan, but has heard of bionicle in the past, so creating a shibboleth is not only difficult, but kind of pointless since the fandom for bionicle is rather tiny in comparison to something like homestuck or MLP.

• Upvote 2

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

I've never been one for subtlety when it comes to my nerdy interests. I usually prefer to let my nerd flag fly (there's a reason I love to buy T-shirts related to my interests), and let the judgment fall where it may. So if I did want to bring up BIONICLE to somebody, I'd be more likely to ask "hey, you a BIONICLE fan?" than to use any kind of special code. Granted, I'd only do that if it came up in conversation naturally, not just out of the blue, because while I'm not afraid of seeming nerdy I don't want to seem like the sort of person who wants to turn any and every conversation towards their interests.

Not to be a massive dork, but nerds and geeks are pretty different. Nerds are more academically focused and geeks are more passionate about their hobbies. Dorks are people who know and care about the differences. Anyway, most, if not, all bionicle quotes are too obscure to be understood by someone who isn't a fan, but has heard of bionicle in the past, so creating a shibboleth is not only difficult, but kind of pointless since the fandom for bionicle is rather tiny in comparison to something like homestuck or MLP.

Yeah, I guess so. It's still fun to talk about Bionicle stuff with other fans, since most people don't know what you're talking about.

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

Yeah, I guess so. It's still fun to talk about Bionicle stuff with other fans, since most people don't know what you're talking about.

Perhaps fans could produce their own merchandise. Sometimes an identifier to a fandom is an iconic article of clothing or accessory. T-Shirts, Key-Chains, etc;

Something the existing community can collaborate together to unite fans offline.

Perhaps fans could produce their own merchandise. Sometimes an identifier to a fandom is an iconic article of clothing or accessory. T-Shirts, Key-Chains, etc;

Something the existing community can collaborate together to unite fans offline.

http://www.redbubble.com/shop/bionicle+t-shirts

One even has one of the shibboleths on it: Trust in the mask, let it be your guide.

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  

S: I see us taking a romantic ride-drive.

R: And you believe Vakama has odd visions.

Honestly surprised none of you have said this yet.

This would probably be the easiest one to play off as a joke if it turns out you're dealing with a non-fan. Also could be useful at picking up female fans?

*Pro-tip, do NOT try to pick up female Bionicle fans with that line.

There are a thousand ways to pick up female fans.

And 941 of them are better than that.

Everyone go home, this guy has won everything
  • Upvote 6

overwatch-pharah-mission-statement_Thumb

S: "Tarduk!"

R: *ducks*

(I can't be the only one who thought this scene was amusing.)

S: Six Heroes...

R: ...One Destiny

S: My friend went to Po-Wahi...

R: ...and all I got was this lousy rock.

S: Rahkshi, huh?

R: I pick my teeth with Rahkshi.

S: Use the shadows.

R: And keep my brother asleep.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese
  • Upvote 1

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

Here are some funny ones that wouldn't work:

S: How many kanoka disks did you make today?

R: Enough to make a vahi look like muaka dung.

S: How many Le matoran does it take to mess up an energy chute?

R: 1 in a million; but it doesn't Matau right?

S: How many Le matoran does it take to screw in a light bulb?

R: As many as it takes to screw it up.

S: We must not awaken my brother.

R: He likes to sleep in on the weekends.

S: Why isn't Mata Nui awake?

R: Because Greg said he had the day off sine he was tired.

Yes, I had fun writing those.

Here are ones that can easily fit into normal conversation within the Bionicle world:

S: Ko Koro is cold.

R: But it is warm on the inside.

S: There are 3 virtues.

R: Obey them, follow them, and die by them or else.

Does anyone want to come up with a response to this one?↓

S: Kopaka didn't slip...

R: ...

Edited by Mocmaker
  • Upvote 2

If you don't like people that use their head and stand up to bullies, then you may not like me because I deal with bullies head on!  

Here are ones that can easily fit into normal conversation:

R: His luck made us believe so.

• Upvote 3

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

These kinda defeat the point of a shibboleth though, don't they? I mean, you're supposed to be able to say the first line in a normal conversation without giving away that you're talking about something different to a non-fan. If you're going to ask them about Kanoka disks or Ko-Koro, you might as well ask them straight-up if they're a fan of Bionicle, right? If they're not, you'll get 'no' as opposed to

S: Kopaka didn't slip.

R: Who's Kopaka?

00_gaeas_reaper.jpgjrfightmeditatesmaller.gif00_shadowboxer.jpg

Here's one :lookhere:

Shibboleth: "We both know there are a thousand ways I could destroy you right now..."

Response: "And 941 of them hurt..."

Edited by Toa of Cinema

Onua.png

Shibboleth: "We both know there are a thousand ways I could destroy you right now..."

"If you havin problems I feel bad for you son. I got a thousand problems and 941 are the Toa metru." I'm sorry I'll never post ever again.

• Upvote 2

overwatch-pharah-mission-statement_Thumb

These kinda defeat the point of a shibboleth though, don't they? I mean, you're supposed to be able to say the first line in a normal conversation without giving away that you're talking about something different to a non-fan. If you're going to ask them about Kanoka disks or Ko-Koro, you might as well ask them straight-up if they're a fan of Bionicle, right? If they're not, you'll get 'no' as opposed to

S: Kopaka didn't slip.

R: Who's Kopaka?

True; I thought when he said normal conversation I thought he meant in the Bionicle world.  Thanks for pointing that out! 

Edited by Mocmaker

If you don't like people that use their head and stand up to bullies, then you may not like me because I deal with bullies head on!  

"If you havin problems I feel bad for you son. I got a thousand problems and 941 are the Toa metru." I'm sorry I'll never post ever again.
No! "You could have many destinies. Come, join my brothers and me..." Edited by Toa of Cinema

Onua.png

I think someone already brought up. The problem was, telling a random stranger there are a thousand ways you can destroy them isn't likely to go very well if they aren't a Bionicle fan.

Whoops. Didn't think of that when I posted it. Time to think of a new one :)

Onua.png

Guys I just thought of the most obvious thing that no one has said yet.

S: Nothing gets past the Captain of the Guard...

R: ...unless he wishes it.

I actually say that in normal conversation a lot. It's a nice alternative to "oh no you don't". It works especially well in a competition setting when you stop something. This could also be used as a pickup line, I think. Stand in a doorway and block everyone with "Nothing gets past the Captain of the Guard!" until an attractive person comes up, then let them through with "...unless he wishes it!"  :P

Edited by Toa Vanson
  • Upvote 4

S: He who would empty the lake of fire...

A: ...must have a long spoon.

S: Great. Guess I am the only one who remembers...

A: ...what Turaga Matau says about going left.

S: Why - why did you do that? They were no threat to anyone!

A: They were blocking my view.

S: Has anyone else noticed that every time we go underground...

A: ...something really bad happens?

Not very good. Just some of my favorite quotes.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese
  • Upvote 1

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water