Pohatu 2015 Improved

Not much to say about this MoC.

I loved all generations of gen 1 Pohatu (which cannot be said for his brothers and sisters in 2008...) due to his unique builds in comparison to the other 5 Toa. It carried through his 3 main forms. So I was disappointed at his bland set that came out this year. Whilst his wanderer motif was interesting, there was too much silver, a dull secondary weapon, and he was far too short in comparison to his brothers.

So with a little tinkering I came up with this.

img_62650.jpg

I removed the transparent parts that I didn't enjoy looking at in exchange for the plain black limbs. The silver shells were replaced by yellow ones and moved to make his arms symmetrical. I took a spare shell from the Protector of Stone to keep that symmetrical aspect. His legs are longer and he is still shorter than Tahu Gen 2, so his stoutness from Gen 1 remains. And his new secondary weapon is a small throwing spear. And with these changes, his piece count, minus the golden mask and skull spider, would be 70.

These two pictures of his back should show you where changes were made, should you wish to edit your own Pohatu.

Back Shot

Weapon Attachment

Comments would be appreciated. I would really like to know what those who liked Pohatu's new set make of my edit, too.

Thanks ^_^

• Upvote 1

index.jpg

Twitter: @enkindle_this

Some interesting changes, though I wouldn't call it an improvement overall. I miss the asymmetry of his arms and the "energized" transparent elements. The use of Bright Yellow as a secondary color does look really nice, but for me it doesn't make up for the other changes in the color scheme and how the colors are distributed.

Also, "too short" doesn't strike me as a flaw, seeing as Pohatu has pretty much always been one of the shortest members of his team (second-shortest of the Toa Mata, tied with Onua for shortest of the Toa Nuva, and shortest of the Phantoka/Mistika). The fact that Pohatu and Onua are back to being the shortest of the new Toa was something I greatly admired about the sets. Now you have him around the same height as Gali or Lewa, which really eliminates a lot of his uniqueness and his nostalgic appeal. I also feel like the lankier legs work against his established personality as a persistent and unstoppable force — instead they make him seem springy and agile like Lewa.

Even if you didn't like the look of his dagger, a spear doesn't feel as unique to me, seeing as Kopaka also has one. If you want to change it to a different type of weapon than a dagger, I think you should go with a type of weapon that none of the other Toa already use. But it's not like there's some hard and fast rule that none of the Toa can share a secondary weapon — Lewa and Tahu not only both use swords as their secondary weapons, but use the same exact sword piece. I just personally preferred the dagger for its uniqueness.

• Upvote 1