Favorite Cartoons

There was a period of increased censorship after 2005 as parents became worried about the cartoons playing, but as of (I think) 2008-10, censorship has decreased (Chowder and The Misadventures of Flapjack are probably the only ones that kept its graphic absurdity in 'the dark time' (as some call it), at least by my memory).

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Sorry to hurt thine ears, but as people praise Adventure Time, I personally don't see the big deal about it. I enjoy the same shows like that many people who also like Adventure Time seem to enjoy, it just doesn't do anything for me other than the every now and then tongue-in-cheek quiet chuckle. People can like what they will, but that's just me.

Dark, stupid, and gross (not to mention random) will only work for me if there is an underlying logic behind it, no matter how faint or twisted. It executed right, it can make me laugh to tears.  If not, it will just repulse me and force me to avoid it at all costs.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

The Simpsons definetely. And Futurama of course. Aaand Fairly OddParents.

Onto more serious ones, first mention goes to Avatar: the last airbender, followed by The legend of Korra.

About anime, when I was a kid I was obsessed (like quite every kid back then) with DragonBall.
More recently I watched Planetes, a hard science fiction anime, and Oreimo (too lazy to write the entire title), a quite crazy and fun one.

@ laredios I've heard that the Ramses epidoe gave people nightmares.... Can't say I blame them.

That was creepy, but Eustace yelling "What's your offer?!" made it funny. The one that gave me nightmares was The Spirit of Harvest Moon. Holy Molie, I had trouble sleeping after seeing that.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Problem is, most modern cartoons don't have a logic to them, just random pop culture references and gross jokes.

But I guess that's what kids like now...

That seems oddly dismissive. Adventure Time has a massive underlayer of logic and worldbuilding that tend to explain much of the events that occur. Shows like Steven Universe and Gravity Falls have a ridiculous attention to detail paid to them that make watching an engaging experience. Even shows like Gumball or Regular Show tend to have far more intelligent jokes than resorting to gross out humor. (usually anyway). And the majority of these shows (Gumball excluded, for its own reasons) tend to build a strong sense of continuity and character development which enhances the whole thing. To say that most cartoons (or whatever, most worthwhile cartoons at least) are pure random schlock is pretty crazy.

AXKP5KC.png

Problem is, most modern cartoons don't have a logic to them, just random pop culture references and gross jokes.

That seems oddly dismissive. Adventure Time has a massive underlayer of logic and worldbuilding that tend to explain much of the events that occur. Shows like Steven Universe and Gravity Falls have a ridiculous attention to detail paid to them that make watching an engaging experience. Even shows like Gumball or Regular Show tend to have far more intelligent jokes than resorting to gross out humor. (usually anyway). And the majority of these shows (Gumball excluded, for its own reasons) tend to build a strong sense of continuity and character development which enhances the whole thing. To say that most cartoons (or whatever, most worthwhile cartoons at least) are pure random schlock is pretty crazy.

But post-season one Gumball is probably my favorite on-air cartoon on Cartoon Network next to Regular Show. :(

Ball is love, Gum is life.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

But post-season one Gumball is probably my favorite on-air cartoon on Cartoon Network next to Regular Show. :(

Ok? It's probably my second favorite show, personally. I wasn't saying anything negative against it.

AXKP5KC.png

Ok? It's probably my second favorite show, personally. I wasn't saying anything negative against it.

T'was being nothing but silly. Don't take it personally. I agree with you on your original post, saying all cartoons are stupid is pretty crazy in of itself.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

:smeag:  It's Doc Gerbil's World, it's Doc Gerbil's World!   :smeag:

John R. Dilworth (creator of Courage) said that was his favorite episode.

Great. Now that's going to be stuck in my head for the next few days  :P

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

:smeag:  It's Doc Gerbil's World, it's Doc Gerbil's World!   :smeag:

John R. Dilworth (creator of Courage) said that was his favorite episode.

Great. Now that's going to be stuck in my head for the next few days  :P

All in a day's work.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Ugh...I'd have to say Ed, Edd, 'n Eddy would have to be single most favorite cartoon. For some odd reason, the show really became my dream life when I was a kid lol. With no adults around and all. Popeye is my second favorite, and Spongebob/Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes/Post-2000's Star Wars cartoons are tied for my 3rd.

Edited by Anonymous User

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Ed Edd n Eddy is easily in my top 3 favorites. How many characters were in that show? Like 13 if you count Eddy's brother. So yeah, they did that show with original content and fresh humor for 10 years with only 12 characters. Pretty cool.

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  

I liked that show, too. How many times did Eddy's brother show up, anyway?

He is mentioned several times throughout the series, but only appeared once, which was in the movie.

That is also one of my favorite shows, gosh do I miss it. You know, Danny Antonucci (Ed Edd n' Eddy Creator) said that he was going to make more movies instead of seasons, but complications with Turner made him leave. Quite a shame, I spent two years waiting impatiently for more Ed-boy Adventures, but it never came... :(

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

I had no idea it had lasted ten years.

Yes, it lasted from 1999 to 2009. I just checked the Wikipedia page, and they managed to do it without a hiatus too. Seasons were only a few months apart at most.

Little known fact: Edd was actually seen without his hat once. It was in a flash game, I believe.

That is non-canonical, even Danny Antonucci said that. He did say that he was going to reveal what was under his hat before the series ended, but the man is a troll and tricked everybody by never revealing it.  :lol:

I have began to notice that some of my favorite cartoons are made by Canadians. :P

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

One episode did, but wasn't it just a dream or something?

Not sure, but I remembered that as well. As a kid, I was like, "Wait, what the what?!" :lol:

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Oh Ya. I forgot about those.

I heard there's a KND remake/continuation coming soon.

Bring it on. Fortunately KND is a difficult show to mess up the main premise, so it wouldn't be too different from the original.

I've heard good things about a couple of the current cartoons.

The current episodes of The Amazing World of Gumball are funny as Heck with a capital H; it is a hybrid if American and British humor, so you will find the best of both worlds here.  Steven Universe is a dramatic comedy and has simplistic artwork yet beautiful coloring, and good characters. If you like completely random and stupid humor, then you will love Uncle Grandpa, but if not then you will hate it. Regular Show is more for young adults, and contains young adult themes such as dating and working, and uses both casual slacker humor and stories that derail to that point that makes Seinfeld pale in comparison, not to mention the show makes a lot of 80's-90's cultural references; so the show is both down to Earth and out of this world at the same time, quite genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4cb262Z7uM

Here are a couple of episodes from Gumball (distorted to avoid copyright issues), these might give you an idea if what the show is like:

Episode Examples. 1   2 

My favorite characters would have to be Mr. Robinson (angry blue retired muppet), Principal Brown (brown hairball with glasses, he's ugly when bald and wears high heels), Mr. Small (hippie school councilor, seems high), and Nicole Waterson (Gumball's Mom).

I unfortunately cannot pick a video for Regular Show, i love them all and I want to give a good first impression; can someone help me out? Just putting it out there, Benson is my favorite character, then Mordecai and Pops.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Yeah...saying that a hypothetical KND reboot would beat the shows airing on CN today doesn't actually mean anything since you have made it clear that you do not watch any of them.

Gumball and Steven Universe are great (each in their own way), Regular Show is more laid back and subtle but it's also very good.Adventure Time is somewhat more complicated, but the stretch from late season 2 to mid season 5 is all really great. Most stuff since has been intensive as far as worldbuilding and continuity and character development goes but has been slightly less consistent when it comes to being enjoyable--though I'd still say only a couple of episodes are really out there as bad. (Too Old and Breezy, specifically). That said it still has plenty of great interesting things going on. I wouldn't not recommend it.

As far great examples of Gumball goes, I have always really liked The Sweaters and The Words. Some of my very favorites. Though most episodes in season 2 and 3 are really just great, so that's not saying much. The Shell is also outstanding,  but what with it kind of having a plot and relying on past character interactions it's not exactly introductory material.

Ditto on some of my favorite recent Regular Show episodes, since a lot of what I like about a few of them is the way some characters have developed. Meaningless on its own, I mean. I think it pays to watch Regular Show in order really, since the way the relationships between all the characters have developed is one of the best parts of the show. Like all the Benson-centric episodes in which he bonds more with the employees and whatnot.

AXKP5KC.png