Favorite Cartoons

I honestly thought the original Ben 10 series was pretty dang awesome, so was Alien Force/Ultimate Alien but less so.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Ben 10: Alien Force probably has to be my favorite series for Ben 10.  Ultimate Alien was great as well, but I never got into the whole 'ultimate alien' thing, despite that being the series-namesake.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

I always liked Omniverse more. Way better art style than UAF (most boring art style, didn't like it in batman beyond, did not like it in ben 10) as well as like twice as many aliens as anything prior (where are my monster aliens, uaf????),  not to mention all the stupid pop culture references and (live for them panty and stocking references) alternate universe shenanigans. Can't get better than Frogs of War, or ATTWN/ATTWB or the Mad Ben finale, honestly. Or the actual finale. (Omiverse had the best finale, by far). Plus, hey, Mexican Luchador Rath. One of the best parts of the franchise probably.

Didn't like UA much in general, honestly. It was basically Alien Force 2.0, just way less consistent and more wangsty....and of course the whole Ultimates concept was dumb. Alien Force, at least the first two seasons, are probably some of the best parts of the franchise, though. Even if I was never a fan of the extensive retooling that happened from the original into the other series. Or how poorly that part of the story handled its premise in general, really. There was...a lot of unspent potential in UAF.

But at least UA had the Gen Rex crossover. Heroes United was the bomb. So very very awesome.

Apparently there's going to be a Ben 10 reboot at some point. I'm guessing it's gonna come in December of this year for the 10 year anniversary? I am tentatively looking forward to it.

AXKP5KC.png

I love the DCAU art style, so Omniverse drove me away with the sudden change of style, not to mention it looked like some parts of it retconned an important piece of story: Ben hadn't used the Omnitrix from ages 10 to 15.

Why do a reboot? They could have him as an adult superhero, defending Earth from alien invasions and forming a sort-of 'Justice League' of their own (and possibly merge it with the greater DC Universe, but that seems about as unlikely as Bionicle or Watchmen doing the same). Media Industries and their addiction to reboots. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Oh, I forgot the main reason why I posted: I cannot believe it has been 10 years since I first saw Ben Tennyson turn into that fire guy in the middle of that park, fighting those robots... I feel old now. :lol:

Edited by Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

The art shift was certainly one of the more polarizing aspects. Considering the art director was the same guy from Transformers Animated....I really loved it though, Derrick J Wyatt's art style is one of my favorites and one of my biggest inspirations. Way more detailed and interesting than whatever UAF did, and the artists legitimately cared way more about what they were doing. Compared to UAF where most people or things from the same species looked exactly the same and art assets were constantly reused and everything looked so so bland, the more lively and varied designs in OV were a breath of fresh air. Plus most of the aliens really looked way cooler, and well, appeared? Compared to UAF where they mainly stuck with Humungousaur, and...Humungousaur,with a bit of Humungousaur thrown in to break the monotony, OV brought back all but 4 of all the aliens, so we were finally able to see guys like Ditto and Eye Guy and the benmonsters (who got actual names!) back in action. So that was neat.

Also, Ripjaws. Ripjaws, man. Don't know about you, but I think I know which one I like more.

The retconning of that part of the story honestly wasn't all that important. (primarily because AF never established the exact timeframe when he dropped the Omnitrix) It's not like it had any major effect on the character. That being said, the young Ben portions of Omniverse are admittedly some of the weakest. (Episode 71 is one of the poorest, and honestly the majority of the flashbacks range from unnecessary to awful). It's not like they could really do much about it, unfortunately, since integrating young Ben into the show was a directive from the executives. The younger incarnation has always been the most popular, so...

But yeah, the reason they're doing a reboot is probably in part because it is a 10 year old franchise by now, with ten years of baggage weighing it down. I can't imagine any new fans of the franchise could be that familiar with the original series, which is a bit of a tough situation since Ben 10 likes to draw on original stuff all the time. By Ultimate Alien the series had already devolved into constant semi-retcons, and Omniverse only took that and ran with it (primarily to out-retcon UAF). It had become a bit of a mess, continuity-speaking. Also the fact that they want to go back to the roots of the original series, since again that was always the most popular. Starting off fresh again with the road trip and such...could be interesting?

There was also some rumors or news going around a few months back of an anime focusing on Gwen? I have no idea what's up with that or if it's even going to happen, but...it's a thing...

But yeah, I agree. I had been watching from episode 1 all the way back in 2006, I think? It has been a while. Following this franchise throughout the years has had its ups and downs, but...it's certainly always been interesting.

Edited by farmstink buttlass
  • Upvote 1

AXKP5KC.png

Ripjaw (why am I so fascinated by aquatic stuff, i live in a desert!), the fire guy (I honestly cannot remember his name) and Upgrade were always my favorites with the original 10. And now that I am older, less xenophobic and more wise (not to mention with what you have described), it makes me want to try out Omniverse. :P

Oh, and there was a live-action Ben 10 movie (the first of it's kind I believe) where there was an alien who could control time, and the events that happened in that made Ben take off the Omnitrix and enjoy a normal life until his Grandfather was taken.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Race Against Time is what you're thinking of, but that movie was (has always been) non-canon, or at least later retconned to being an alternate timeline. I don't think it's what caused him to drop the Omnitrix from what I remember.

My favorite aliens from the original series are probably Ripjaws, Articguana, Snare-oh (mummy), Frankenstrike (frankenstein monster), Ditto, Eye Guy...there's a bunch. My favorite one overall is an Omniverse original though, Pesky Dust. Followed closely by OV-era JuryRigg.

AXKP5KC.png

Fingers double crossed. If any show is fit to have a revamp, it's KND.

Anyone else curious about Galactic KND?

I keeping my fingers crossed that it's not some heart wrenching April Fool's prank.

Yeah, same here.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

I used to watch KND a lot like ten years ago. It was fun, I'd probably watch a reboot.

We're also getting the Powerpuff Girls reboot next year I think? PPG is one of my all time favorite cartoons so I hope they do it justice...the special last year wasn't that good.

AXKP5KC.png

PPG is the only cartoon that I like now more than when I was a kid. It would be cool to see a reboot of that as well.

There was going to be a reboot, but there were so many people against it that the pilot was just turned into a 'special premiere movie'. I haven't watched it, so I don't know if it was any good or not. From what I saw in the commercials for it, however, it was done in 3D CGI and the redesigns looked really weird.

At least the attempted pilot for a Courage the Cowardly Dog continuation/reboot (which was also done in CGI) had everyone spot on accurate to it's predecessor, it was just a shame that the voice actor for Eustace Bagge had died shortly after or near the end of the original Courage episodes.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

bad news guys

Chances are, G:KND is either a really elaborate april fools day prank...or they're making a prank of it not actually being real.

One or the other.

Seems like a lot of effort to go through to make a simple joke, though. Source?

Video. really hope the "it's not real" is a prank, considering that the website countdown restarted.

Edited by Ehksidian

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

As if shoving adventure time, uncle grandpa, regular show and Gumball in our faces wasn't enough,

They say they might remake a decent series and it turns out to be a prank I'll... Ugh!

what? by "they" do you mean Cartoon Network? because it's fairly clear that Cartoon Network had nothing to do with this.

bad news guys

Chances are, G:KND is either a really elaborate april fools day prank...or they're making a prank of it not actually being real.

One or the other.

Seems like a lot of effort to go through to make a simple joke, though. Source?

Video. really hope the "it's not real" is a prank, considering that the website countdown restarted.

pretty sure neither the show itself nor the "there is not a series" are a prank - the "but there should be" indicates that this was all done to generate hype and interest in a potential series in the hopes of getting enough support, possibly to attract the interest of Cartoon Network, so they can make it happen at some point in the future. so it's something they're legitimately interested in, it's something they want to do, it's just not definitively in the works yet.

Anybody else watch the Uncle Grandpa/Steven Universe cross-over?

I loved the episode and thought it was hilarious (Uncle Grandpa's show always makes me laugh); I actually thought it was going to be canon and Uncle Grandpa could be like an imp from DC Comics, a cartoon-ish reality shifting entity who plays with the fabric of space and time for his own amusement or for the amusement of others. ...But then he had to say "This is non-canon". <_<

That list at the end though, :superfunny:

Oh yeah, and slightly related: "Heaven's to Betsy. The first flower of Spring! ... I'm a dirt-bag!"

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

The crossover was great. It was very funny ("That's not my baby!" "My head's on backwards" "YYYYYYYYYY") and really quite exceeded expectations. And the best thing about it is that it is non canon, honestly--as it excuses the exaggerated characterization and avoids opening up so many cans of worms.

That, or the Mr. Gus tumblr, because holy heck. Elaborate set-up for a joke doesn't even begin to do it justice.

(Seems like something that should be discussed in the SU topic instead, but...honestly, I think it'd be cool if this topic turned into a general catch-all discussion topic for cartoons, since specific threads tend to die pretty much instantly.)

AXKP5KC.png

Does anyone here remember the cartoon show, Squirrel Boy? I think that was one of the few good/funny shows after CN's 2005 management change (to a lesser degree then Flapjack and Chowder). What was the squirrel's name, Randy? I can't remember...

Edited by Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Watching Scooby Doo: Mystery incorporated right now. Yesterday I watched ten episodes. Ten! I assume I think I like it.

I think, heh.

Nothing to be ashamed of, its a pretty good successor to the original scooby-doo. I like that it recognizes those events happened, just not around half a century ago, and that there is actual character development. :P A shame it ended. Or maybe it is on hiatus? Not sure.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

the simpsons

futurama

family guy

american dad

the cleveland show

bob's burgers

mr pickles

invader zim

spongebob squarepants (seasons 1-4)

south park

regular show

the cartoons of cartoon network from like '04-'07 aren't my favorite but the nostalgia they make me feel is pretty much unmatched by any other show. like foster's home for imaginary friends, camp lazlo, my gym partner's a monkey

of course i also love yr standard CN classics...dexter's lab, power puff girls, billy and mandy, ed edd and eddy, courage, johnny bravo, cow and chicken, two stupid dogs...

oh man don't even even get me started on that nickelodeon...

im gonna go binge watch rocket power and cry now

only in dreams.

Really, it finally ended? Like Spongebob and Family Guy, I thought it was long overdue

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

I hadn't heard much good about FOP for a while now. I am surprised it even lasted this long, I used to watch it so much back in elementary school...dang, that was forever ago.

Anyway the insinuation that Nick hasn't had a good cartoon in 11 years seems to be oddly ignoring both Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra so???? Gonna have to disagree with that one. Other than that though yeah I guess so.

AXKP5KC.png

I hadn't heard much good about FOP for a while now. I am surprised it even lasted this long, I used to watch it so much back in elementary school...dang, that was forever ago.

Anyway the insinuation that Nick hasn't had a good cartoon in 11 years seems to be oddly ignoring both Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra so???? Gonna have to disagree with that one. Other than that though yeah I guess so.

I don't care for those shows, so as I said, in my opinion, there hasn't been a good Nick show since 2004.

Really, it finally ended? Like Spongebob and Family Guy, I thought it was long overdue

It was starting to get stale, I hope it at least had a good send off.

I don't care for those shows, so as I said, in my opinion, there hasn't been a good Nick show since 2004.

Really, it finally ended? Like Spongebob and Family Guy, I thought it was/is long overdue

It was starting to get stale, I hope it at least had a good send off.

If you like Bionicle, then you will like The Last Airbender (series). It starts off childish but grows in maturity, akin to Bionicle. The show finally was quite awesome. If you become a hardcore fan of the Avatar series, then you should like Legend of Korra; i should note, however, this show is a sequel to The Last Airbender and as such is going through an industrial revolution, something that turned me off from watching it as it was too alien and modern when in comparison to the tech-savvy (at least for the Fire Nation) medieval Asian flair the first series had going on.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agreed.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

I'm not one for anime like shows. Ok?

You know what you are? You are a "racist"* towards different animation, not to mention that the show is a blend between eastern and western animation. Stop being xenophobic** and give it a try man! :D Bionicle is a blend of genres and styles...

*I am not really calling you a racist, two things about that. First, what I said was a line that Craig Ferguson always said to his shows producer, often resulting in said producer either giving him the sign of a certain finger or laughing at him, or playfully calling him something else. Second, it doesn't make sense as a taste in media is not a race. :lol: Go with it.

**Again, playing with you.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

I'm not one for anime like shows. Ok?

You know what you are? You are a "racist"* towards different animation, not to mention that the show is a blend between eastern and western animation. Stop being xenophobic** and give it a try man! :D Bionicle is a blend of genres and styles...

*I am not really calling you a racist, two things about that. First, what I said was a line that Craig Ferguson always said to his shows producer, often resulting in said producer either giving him the sign of a certain finger or laughing at him, or playfully calling him something else. Second, it doesn't make sense as a taste in media is not a race. :lol: Go with it.

**Again, playing with you.

Look, it's just not my kind of thing, ok? So please stop trying to get me to watch it, I didn't like it when it came out, and you telling me to give it a try isnt going to make me like it now.

Anyone remember good ol' Toonami? I heard it came back on CN. Can anyone tell me whether the new block is worth watching or not?

I wish CN still had those Goosebumps showings on the weeks following Halloween. The nostalgia.

Edited by Lord Commander Manducus

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

Anyone remember good ol' Toonami? I heard it came back on CN. Can anyone tell me whether the new block is worth watching or now?

I wish CN still had those Goosebumps showings on the weeks following Halloween. The nostalgia.

Yeah, Toonami is back. It is basically the same thing it was before, only there are slight character redesigns for TOM and that digital lady, and the spaceship is heck of a lot shorter. However, Toonami's time block is currently shorter then it was when it originally came back because people love their Seth McFarlane and Mike Judge.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png