Favorite Cartoons

I don't really get to watch as much animation these days as I'd like, sadly.

My favorite cartoon is probably the first two seasons of Gargoyles and really just about anything Greg Weisman puts out. Moral Orel and Venture Brothers are both really up there through, especially Venture. Which is probably the single finest animation ever aired on Adult Swim (or, again, Orel). Both are ridiculously unkidfriendly, though.

Samurai Jack is another pretty great series. Especially now that I'm older and more familiar with the chanbara genre that influenced it so heavily. Probably one of the best shows ever to air on Cartoon Network- if not the best, after Megas XLR.

Sym-Bionic Titan and Megas XLR are also both just wonderful shows. They're examples of how to do anime homages right while retaining an identity, and so many shows struggle with that. I'm still really mad that SBT didn't get a second season, and the fact Cartoon Network is just sitting on the IP makes it worse. At least Megas might be getting a game from Valve.

Steven Universe is a pretty cozy show, from what I've seen. Basically feels like a magical girl anime from the perspective of a comic relief character. Nice and cozy, as well as pretty heartfelt. Also dat music.

On the anime side of things, I adore Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo. A trippy, loose retelling of The Count of Monte Cristo, in a retro-future space setting, from the perspective of Albert. The really stylized animation (everything is textured) is what made me fall in love with the show instantly, when I honestly didn't expect much from it. The plot is also pretty darn exhilerating, and makes the series hard to stop watching. Everything about this series is just fantastic. One of the very few anime I've ever given a 10/10 to.

Speaking of 10/10s, RahXephon! This series gets saddled with a really unfair reputation of being an Evangelion clone- and while they're superficially similar, they're ultimately very different shows. RahXephon is actually coherent from a pacing perspective, for one, and is also ultimately a romance anime. It helps that there's an actual, honest-to-god feeling of characters here. And there really needs to be- RahXephon is a slow paced character drama for the majority of its run.

It's also, admittedly one of a mind screw the first time around- especially if you don't know much about Mayan civilization. Just rewatch it once or twice, and all will be fine. And then rewatch it again because it's really good.

The Five Star Stories is probably my favorite animated film, just from a visual stand point. It's nothing revolutionary, and honestly is basically just the cliff's notes of the manga's first storyline, but good lord is it well animated. I'm admittedly also a huge fan of classic anime, so the visual style really clicks with me.

Literally one of the most beautiful, well-animated movies I've ever seen. It helps that it's basically a set up for what amounts to a Japanese, glam metal Dune with supermodels and giant robots, which is the best way of describing how out there FSS gets.

The intro to the series was pretty ominous and scary. A fedora business suit figure staring at a town from a distance.

That's a nightmare to this day.

hElbrZ6.gif

The intro to the series was pretty ominous and scary. A fedora wearing business suit figure staring at a town from a distance.

The nightmare have soiled Indiana Jones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4Y3n3ysVLQ

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

If only CN would start showing Goosebumps again.

Speaking of Goosebumps, what ever happened to Outsiders Othersiders?

Cancelled, thankfully. CN Real in general was just awful, awful stuff.

The only thing that was mildly amusing from that era was that "Dude" show, and "Destroy, Build, Destroy", but maybe that was just my younger, less enlightened self. I thought that when the guy from DBD appeared in Uncle Grandpa was pretty funny though. :P

"PARTY FOUL!"

"Gaaaaaaahhh!"

Edited by Iaredios Paerkenon

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Indeed.

Edited by Lord Commander Manducus
  • Upvote 1

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

The only thing that was mildly amusing from that era was that "Dude" show, and "Destroy, Build, Destroy", but maybe that was just my younger, less enlightened self. I thought that when the guy from DBD appeared in Uncle Grandpa was pretty funny though. :P

"PARTY FOUL!"

"Gaaaaaaahhh!"

Andrew WK was the only saving grace to that entire block. Man just oozes charisma.

And partying.

hElbrZ6.gif

The intro to the series was pretty ominous and scary. A fedora wearing business suit figure staring at a town from a distance.

You do know that that is R.L. Stein, right? The guy who wrote all the Goosebump books? He's just watching his creation unfold in enjoyment from afar...

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

You do know that that is R.L. Stein, right? The guy who wrote all the Goosebump books? He's just watching his creation unfold in enjoyment from afar...

Heh. I didn't know that. Nice little cameo though.

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif