Velius

Soran

velius_header_by_soarinskies-d8lh88j.png

Prologue:

Kopeke fumbled around the ruins of an old forge in Ta-Metru. He was instructed by Turaga Nuju to seek out any information of value that could be included in the Wall of History. “That was the plan anyway,” Kopeke thought, “It’s a wonder how any matoran worked under these conditions.”

The heat from the old forge room had started to weigh in on the Ko-Matoran. He considered his options of continuing to search the room or just calling it quits. “No, no, I have a duty to fulfill. I must press on.” So he continued his search until—

Huh—What’s that? Kopeke asked himself.

He noticed something odd underneath a collection of Kanoka disks. It was a broken slab of stone. He looked up and saw that the ceiling had collapsed in the building…

“But how could it have landed underneath the Kanoka Disk? It couldn’t have, so that must mean that it was placed…”

With that thought in mind, he rushed to investigate. He carefully pushed the kanoka disks out of the way and examined the slab of stone. He immediately noticed strange markings that were throughout the slab. “Hm… It looks like a tablet of some kind, but what are these markings? I’ve never seen anything like them.” Kopeke whispered to himself, “I’d better alert Turaga Nuju about my findings. Perhaps he’ll know what to do.” And with that he picked up the tablet and hurried quickly to the coliseum.

Kopeke in search of Turaga Nuju rushed into the Coliseum. “Have any of you seen Turaga Nuju?” Kopeke inquired some nearby Matoran. They pointed him to where they last saw the Turaga go and he hurried in that direction. As he ran through the long hallway he wondered just what this tablet he found might contain.

I wonder what’s written on it, Kopeke thought, perhaps it’s about legends of old heroes or maybe ancient laws or prophesies…

His thoughts were interrupted when he spotted the familiar frame of the revered Turaga Nuju, the noble and wise elder of the village of ice. He noticed him quietly talking to his new translator, Lumi. “Or at least his version of talking,” Kopeke thought. He slowed his pace as he approached the Turaga.

“Excuse me Turaga Nuju and Lumi, I’m here to report back on my findings,” Kopeke started. “ I came across a strange tablet in an old forge building in Ta-Metru. It appears to have some form of writing on it but I can’t make out what it says.”

Nuju motioned for Kopeke to present it to him. Kopeke handed the tablet to the Turaga and stood by as Turaga Nuju examined it. After having examined it Turaga Nuju then started speaking in his own language of clicks and whistles.

“Turaga Nuju says that he is delighted by your discovery, but he cannot decipher it,” Lumi translated, “He mentioned that you should bring this tablet to Turaga Nokama as she will be able to decipher its meaning. He does congratulate you on your discovery, however. He mentioned that last he saw Nokama she was along this same corridor, just a little ways past here.”

Kopeke thanked the Turaga and his translator for their time and headed in the direction of where Nuju stated that Nokama might be. As the Turaga left his view he quickened his pace and hurried along the expansive hallway. The hallway seemed to stretch on forever as he passed by doorway after doorway. After each doorway he passed with no sight of Nokama, his hopes gradually diminished.

He noticed a Matoran along the way and stopped to ask if she had seen the Turaga. She motioned to his left and as he turned he saw Turaga Nokama talking with a Ga-matoran in one of the rooms. He waited patiently outside the room for the Turaga and the matoran to finish. At last they finished their discussion as the matoran exited the room and Kopeke quickly entered.

Turaga Nokama, the wise elder of the water village, greeted him as he entered the room. “Turaga Nokama, I’ve discovered a tablet with an inscription on it. I have reported the finding to Turaga Nuju, but he said he could not translate it. Can you translate it for me?” Kopeke asked.

“Of course I can, Kopeke. Please, hand the tablet to me.”

Kopeke handed the tablet to Nokama and she activated her Noble Rau, the Mask of Translation. She started mumbling some almost inaudible words as she translated the tablet. Kopeke stood by patiently waiting for the Turaga to speak of the discoveries made on the tablet. She then suddenly looked up at him and spoke again.

“The tablet appears to be a manuscript about some brave toa of old,” Nokama stated, “It tells a tale of horribly tragedies and sacrifices that have come about this island of Metru-Nui as well as neighboring islands.”

“Can you translate it out loud for me Nokama?” Kopeke asked his curiosity piqued.

“Very well matoran, listen closely to the tale… of Velius.”

------------

Wish to offer comments, critique or criticism on the story? Head over to the review topic here.

~Soran

Edited by Soran
soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png

Chapter 1: Plans Revealed

Miles off the coast of the eastern border of Destral resided a boat carrying two toa. They had been informed by another toa about an important mission to carry out the will of the Great Spirit. “So, what was the plan again?” Toa Nelah, a Toa of Lightning asked.

“You use your Kanohi Iden to spy on the Brotherhood of Makuta’s base and you relay the information to me through my Kanohi Rhode…” answered the Toa of Ice.

“And what if I’m somehow caught?” Toa Nelah questioned.

“Don’t be.”

Satisfied with that answer, Toa Nelah then activated her mask power. She watched as her body went limp on the boat, almost falling out of it. Her mask power always startled her ever since she first used it. She never could get used to the odd feeling of one’s spirit leaving their body. The Toa of Ice then activated his Mask of Truth. “Can you see me?” asked Toa Nelah. “Yes. Go,” replied the Toa of Ice.

Toa Nelah did as instructed and zoomed across the ocean in a blink of an eye. She flashed past the waves of the sea, to the coast of the island, and finally to the massive fortress centered on the island. She examined the immense size and intricacy of the fortress before her. Just then out of the corner of her eye she spotted a group of rahkshi patrolling the perimeter. As the rahkshi drew nearer to her she flinched, preparing for the worst. The rahkshi, unbeknownst to them, walked right past her, taking no notice of the spectral Toa of Lightning.

At least I know my mask works, Toa Nelah thought.

She flashed through the building and searched for activity. Room after room she checked, fazing through each and every room. All she could find it seemed was just the countless patrols and training grounds. “The mission was to gain knowledge of any future plans the Brotherhood might be preparing for,” Toa Nelah whispered to herself, “So far none of these have been of any use. It seems like they’re always preparing but preparing for what?”

As Toa Nelah checked the rest of the ground floor she discovered that it was unproductive and it seemed like it only housed the training grounds. She flew up to check the next floor, and the next floor, and the next floor with each floor producing futile results. She started to wonder if this whole mission was just a lie to distract her from her duties until she finally came across an interesting room, buzzing with activity. She listened intently outside the room trying to piece together details she heard into a working plan.

“As expected, this new state we are in has come with some advantages… and disadvantages.”

“What might you be insinuating Krika, spit it out!”

“I’m merely stating that with this new state we’re in—this armor of ours… We’re especially weak towards beings of Iron and Magnetism…” Krika mumbled.

“Well, what are you proposing we do Krika?”

“Me, I’m not proposing we do anything, I’m just stating facts,” Krika answered.

Curious about what might be going on in this meeting room, Toa Nelah cautiously walked through the wall into the chamber. There rested a massive table in the center of the room, with dozens of Makuta seated around it. “Now this is what I’ve been searching for,” Toa Nelah thought.

“If we’re weak against something why don’t we just wipe it out,” a Makuta muttered.

“That’s a stupid idea.”

“No, it wasn’t. Hadriax say that again, but speak up this time, so all can hear,” boomed another Makuta.

Fear crept into the heart of Toa Nelah upon hearing this sinister Makuta speak. He had a commanding presence about him. The chair he perched on—No, the throne he rested upon gave him an aura of authority. His menacing appearance combined with his Kanohi Kraahkan, the Mask of Shadows… He seemed to personify pure evil.

“I said, Teridax, if we’re weak against something, why don’t we figure out what it is, and crush anything that threatens us. Destroy any glimmer of hope our enemies have in defeating us, make them tremble at the thought of our presence,” Hadriax declared.

“And how do you propose we do that Hadriax?” Teridax inquired.

“Krika said we were weak against Iron and Magnetism, correct?” “That’s correct.” “Then let’s kill any and all Turaga, Toa, and Matoran of Iron and Magnetism! We’ll invade the villages, invade the cities, invade the islands and wipe out any that cross our path,” Hadriax proclaimed.

What—how are they going to do that? Toa Nelah whispered to herself.

“Teridax, hold on… It appears we have an intruder in our midst,” stated a Makuta possessing a Kanohi Elda, the Mask of Detection.

“Where is the intruder,” Teridax questioned.

“It appears to be a Toa, along the entry wall, possessing a Kanohi Iden.” The Makuta reported.

“Quickly, send guards across the perimeter of the island, find the toa’s body and destroy it,” Teridax shouted.

Toa Nelah, fearing for her life quickly flew out of there and zoomed back towards her body. As she rushed out she noticed several rahkshi gathering along the coast, preparing to search for the toa. The Toa of Ice then noticed her reenter her body. “So, what did we learn?” he inquired.

“Leave now, ask questions later!” Toa Nelah interjected. And with that they sped off.

“Where is he, he was supposed to meet us here by now,” Toa Nelah grumbled.

“He probably forgot about us,” replied the Toa of Ice.

After having successfully gathered information and escaping from the Brotherhood of Makuta’s base, the two toa were instructed to meet with a toa by the name of Rezon about the information they had gathered. They managed to flee to a nearby island and now they waited for the toa to arrive.

“You lack faith, toa,” a voice answered, “I merely got held up. But I am here now.”

From behind a tree emerged Toa Rezon, a Toa of Gravity. Earlier when they questioned what the intent of the information was for he gave no specific answer. He only stated that in the grand scheme of things, their part is another piece of the puzzle that must be completed to fulfill the Great Spirit’s wishes. His whole demeanor was mysterious but oddly open as well.

“So, what information was gathered on your mission?” Toa Rezon questioned, cutting to the chase.

The toa relayed the events of what happened on their journey to Destral, the information they had received from the brotherhood and their arrival on this island. He listened intently to each and every detail, only stopping to ask questions once he knew they were done talking. He repeated each and every detail they would give, almost as if he were relaying information. Finally when he had acquired all the information he sought, he instructed them to stay where they were and disappeared back into the woods.

“Where do you think he’s headed off to?”

No sooner was that question asked, it was answered, as out of the woods walked out Toa Rezon and another mysterious being with him. The mysterious being had the appearance of a toa, carrying a spiked mace and a shield. Its presence was archaic and its armor was battered and scarred in many areas, presumably from numerous battles and experiences.

“Rezon, is the area secure?” the being spoke in an effeminate voice.

“Yes, you have nothing to worry about,” Rezon assured her, tapping his Kanohi Arthron, the Mask of Sonar.

“All right toa, good work on the mission,” the being spoke, “The information you gathered on the Brotherhood of Makuta was useful and has helped confirm some suspicions we have had about them—”

“Wait, who are you, what is this all for?” Toa Nelah interrupted.

The being ignored her and continued on, “As we had suspected, the Makuta have changed to a state where they have no need for a body, only armor. Because of this change, their only apparent weaknesses are the elements of Iron and Magnetism. As revealed from your mission, the possibility of a planned genocide against the beings of Iron and Magnetism seems to be underway. Because of this we’re assigning you a new mission, Toa Nelah. You along with many others are to protect specific destined matoran of either Iron or Magnetism.”

“What am I to do then?” asked the Toa of Ice.

“You are to be assigned to the same region as Toa Nelah as back up incase the situation gets too intense. You are to act as support if need be, but otherwise you will resume your duties with the toa team you are a part of. Be wary when assisting the matoran, we do not want any unwanted attention brought to them, they are an important asset to the will of Mata Nui,” the being explained.

Before either of the toa could ask any further questions, the being disappeared back into the woods leaving Toa Rezon to inform them of their missions.

Toa Rezon turned toward the Toa of Ice, “All right, so you are to resume your duties protecting the City of Metru-Nui with the rest of the toa team you are a part of,” Toa Rezon explained.

He then turned towards Toa Nelah, “As for you, Toa Nelah, you are to be sent to Metru-Nui to find and protect a specific Fe-Matoran.”

“What is his name and how am I going to find a specific Fe-Matoran in the entirety of Metru-Nui?” Toa Nelah questioned.

“Oh, it won’t be too hard to find him, just look for the only Fe-Matoran in all of Metru-Nui.” Toa Rezon answered.

“Oh and his name… is Velius.”

Edited by Soran
soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png

Chapter 2: Hunt For History

“Oh and his name… is Velius.” Nokama translated.

She paused and deactivated her Noble Kanohi Rau. “That is all that is written, matoran.” She announced. Thousands of questions raced through Kopeke’s head; who were these toa, who was that mysterious being and what happened to them?

He sought for answers, and this tablet was supposed to supply them. “How is that all that was written, why would anyone write a half written chronicle…?” Kopeke thought.

“There must be more to it Nokama, that can’t be it.” Kopeke insisted.

“You’re very wise, Kopeke. There is indeed more to this story. I recall hearing parts of it when I was a matoran, but it is not written on this tablet,” Nokama answered, “It looks as if this tablet was broken off from some others, if you wish to hear the rest of the story, you must first seek out the rest of the tablets.”

Kopeke understood the task he had been assigned. He thanked Turaga Nokama for her help and rushed out of the room.  He dashed through the long halls of the coliseum, dodging matoran on his way. His mind was absorbed with the thoughts about the new knowledge he had received, raising many questions in his mind. He was so consumed by his thoughts that he didn’t notice another matoran along his path.

“Whoa, watch out!”

Kopeke noticed the other matoran too late and nearly collided with the matoran. The other matoran managed to quickly dodge just in time and Kopeke tripped instead. “Hey, are you okay, chronicler?” The matoran asked.

Kopeke looked up and examined the matoran standing before him. He was black and purple, the colors of an Onu-Matoran and he wore a Kanohi Pakari. “I’m okay, Onepu,” Kopeke reassured the matoran, “I was just lost in thought.”

“I noticed that Kopeke, where are you off to in such a hurry?” Onepu questioned, helping Kopeke to his feet.

“I’m headed back to Ta-Metru. I’m in search of some tablets I left behind,” Kopeke answered.

“Do you need any help?”

“Not right now, no. But if I need any help later I’ll call you,” Kopeke informed him. Kopeke then said his goodbyes to his friend and left the coliseum on his way to

Ta-Metru.

Where could it be? Kopeke thought.

Kopeke, back in Ta-Metru, continued his search in the original forge room he had discovered the first tablet in. He examined the room before him. There was a large furnace in the center of the room and along the back wall was a long table, filled with Kanoka Disks and various mask making tools. To his left was another table with a scroll on it, detailing orders of masks requested at the time. And to his right in the far corner was rubble from the ceiling that had collapsed.

If the tablet was broken off from another then the other pieces must be where the first one was found, Kopeke thought.

He rushed to the back wall where he found the original tablet and scanned the area. After seeing nothing plainly visible he concluded that it must be either hidden or taken away to another location. “Hopefully it’s the first option,” Kopeke muttered.

He decided the best place to check would be the rubble from the collapsed ceiling. He carefully started to remove the rubble piece-by-piece, examining each one incase he may have accidentally discovered it. Little by little the rubble slowly disappeared as he continued his search.

He noticed as the rubble cleared away that the floor underneath it had collapsed as well, revealing a large incinerator chamber below. The only thing supporting the rubble was a long, wooden plank just underneath it, possibly originating from the ceiling. Being even more wary he carefully picked up each piece of rubble, examined it, and tossed it out.

The small pile left was in the far corner barely being supported by the wooden plank it rested on, too far for Kopeke to reach alone. He carefully inched his way across the plank and picked up some of the few remaining pieces of rubble. At last he saw it, the missing piece from the tablet, wedged between two other pieces of rubble.

He tried to carefully pry it from the rubble but it wouldn’t budge. He tried to wrestle it loose with all his might but it just wouldn’t release. He scanned the room again, this time checking particularly around the desks. “What could I use to pry this away…” Kopeke contemplated.

“Ah, that might work!”

Having spotted something of use, he carefully crossed the wooden plank and headed to the far desk. He picked up the mask maker’s firestaff. He had seen other Ta-Matoran use these back on Mata-Nui so he was familiar with how they worked. They used extreme heat to burn or “cut” away parts of objects. He activated the firestaff and returned back to the rubble. He carefully cut away the rubble, inching closer and closer to freeing the tablet. “Come on… Just a little bit more,” Kopeke whispered to himself.

Suddenly the wooden plank collapsed beneath him, sending him and the tablet plummeting down towards their certain doom. Kopeke, thinking fast, grabbed hold of the edge of the floor and the tablet. Kopeke peered down and saw both the broken wooden plank and the firestaff fall into the large incinerator chamber below.

He carefully swung his other arm up and supported himself back up. Climbing to his feet he examined the tablet. “That was… Close…I hope this is worth it,” Kopeke sighed and grumbled to himself. Kopeke, having found what he was searching for, gathered his things and headed towards the coliseum, eager to hear the next translation.

“Turaga Nokama, I’ve retrieved the tablet. Can you please translate this for me?”

“Why of course, Kopeke. Here, hand the tablet over to me.” Turaga Nokama answered.

Kopeke handed the tablet to Turaga Nokama and she gestured for him to sit down.

“Are you ready, Matoran?” Nokama questioned.

Kopeke nodded.

“Very well, then let us begin.” Turaga Nokama said as she activated her Kanohi Rau. She then began the translation.