Steven Universe Discussion

Saint-14

Well, what do you want her to do? Say "Oh, look, we got high rankings. That's because you're all jerks and you should be ashamed of yourselves."

She's clearly not oblivious, and she's made some gentle but clear comments telling people to be kind to others.

No creator should be made to feel responsible for cleaning up after the corrupt side of a fandom. She is not obligated to do or say anything, and if I were in her position I'd be feeling devastated, overwhelmed and completely out of my depth.

There is nastiness in this fandom. As I said before, this is a big problem with Tumblr communities in general- the Sherlock fandom has had people sending death threats to creators and actors, and it's something that needs a massive overhaul.  But there is also plenty of kindness and compassion, and even when bad things happen, there are people contributing to the fandom in ways that support those affected without lashing out with hatred.

The ugly side of the fandom can't be ignored, but I don't like your implication that Sugar and the team should not be allowed to enjoy or celebrate  their successes  because of it.

• Upvote 3

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

Well, what do you want her to do? Say "Oh, look, we got high rankings. That's because you're all jerks and you should be ashamed of yourselves."

She's clearly not oblivious, and she's made some gentle but clear comments telling people to be kind to others.

No creator should be made to feel responsible for cleaning up after the corrupt side of a fandom. She is not obligated to do or say anything, and if I were in her position I'd be feeling devastated, overwhelmed and completely out of my depth.

There is nastiness in this fandom. As I said before, this is a big problem with Tumblr communities in general- the Sherlock fandom has had people sending death threats to creators and actors, and it's something that needs a massive overhaul.  But there is also plenty of kindness and compassion, and even when bad things happen, there are people contributing to the fandom in ways that support those affected without lashing out with hatred.

The ugly side of the fandom can't be ignored, but I don't like your implication that Sugar and the team should not be allowed to enjoy or celebrate  their successes  because of it.

There is 'something' (I wonder what it is? *sarcasm*) about Steven Universe that attracts the absolute lowest of the low Tumblr trash. There is no fathoming the depth of my hatred for that fandom (ATLA ref). 

Edited by Jaek_3
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I love how Rebecca Sugar celebrated Steven Universe being the most popular tag on Tumblr when she hasn't even realized the amount of cyberbullying that takes place there & that a large majority of those reblogs/likes are harassing someone to the point of suicide.

I would definitely dispute the cyberbullying being anywhere near the "majority" of likes or reblogs about the show on Tumblr——probably a small minority, if anything. From what I've seen the vast majority of the fandom (including on Tumblr) is made up of entirely decent people who just genuinely enjoy the show. There are some jerks there, but the same applies to the MAJORITY of fandoms—judging a large fandom or community by its worst members is going to make pretty much anything look severely messed up.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Log Date was definitely my favourite episode of the series so far.

Peridot the Slash Shipper was a thing I never knew I needed.

Also the shorts. The stilts. The jokes. The roof bit. The fusion attempt aaaaah why is this show so perfect

• Upvote 3

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

• 3 weeks later...