Adventure Time Thread

Ha, algebraic :D Best thread ever man, Adventure time is my guilty pleasure. I'll often make my own kids watch this instead of what they actually want to have on when I'm in the room :P 

Here's a conversation starter for you then.

Princess Bubblegum or Flame Princess?

I reckon Finn is better off with PB (cos he lurves her :P) but FP is way cooler 

And yes I realise I'm a grown man discussing cartoon characters, I also spend a great deal of my time playing with Lego. Can['t nothin bring me shame :D

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Adventure Time is a really great show. It kind of started losing its touch in season 5 but with some exceptions it seems to be back on track in season 6. It's a pretty amazing show at its best, really.

(the reason there isn't an adventure time thread is because they always die within a couple of week.s the last one popped up late last year...died after like five posts...)

AXKP5KC.png

Ha, algebraic :D Best thread ever man, Adventure time is my guilty pleasure. I'll often make my own kids watch this instead of what they actually want to have on when I'm in the room :P

Here's a conversation starter for you then.

Princess Bubblegum or Flame Princess?

I reckon Finn is better off with PB (cos he lurves her :P) but FP is way cooler 

And yes I realise I'm a grown man discussing cartoon characters, I also spend a great deal of my time playing with Lego. Can['t nothin bring me shame :D

Haha FP is better :)

:afro: :afro: :afro: 

• 1 month later...

This show is not meant for kids. I've disliked it ever since my sister revealed that

Jake had babies without getting married

and I've stopped watching period of now for other reasons like that of the one I showed.

Kopaka.png

stone_good.png

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I really don't see how the fact that Jake and Lady Rainicorn (who are adults, and have been in a steady, committed relationship for at least five years now) had children out of wedlock makes it inappropriate for kids? They're a couple and then they had children. That is something that happens in real life, you know? A lot of kids nowadays grow up in situations like that. It's not really a bad or a good thing, it's just a thing.

In any case there certainly is no denying that Adventure Time pushes the envelope farther and farther as time goes on. The episode Breezy, for instance, had some really, uh. Suggestive themes and scenes? Let's call them that, for lack of a better way to describe it considering that this is BZP. Or you have your Lemongrab episodes from late season 5, what with the cannibalism and dictatorship and...yeah. It's a whole thing.

It's odd, but it comes with the territory of AT being the kind of show it is--that is, one about Finn's maturation (in real time, even. Dude was a quirky innocent 12 year old when the thing started, but he's grown (or fallen, depends on the perspective) into a more...troubled, conflicted 17 year old) as well as the development of a lot of other also rather troubled characters and also one about exploring why and how Ooo even exists. It's not all great. I'm really not a huge fan of the darker tone the series took in late season 5, with stuff like Breezy and Too Old being some of my least favorite episodes.

But even with all these weird more "mature" themes and things in the show, I wouldn't exactly say it's not "meant" for kids. The reason AT is still alive and thriving is that it is popular with its target demographic because it is a zany, fun show to watch even superficially. Cartoons have never shied away from having more adult themes in them that younger viewers can probably not fully appreciate (but that may entice older viewers to tune in). Adventure Time is less restrained with this than some, but not to an extent that makes it isolate its target audience. It's still popular with its target demographic of 8-12 year olds, and it's still popular with its periphery demographics. I'd say that's sort of a win-win.

• Upvote 2

AXKP5KC.png

Vrokorta, that's ridiculous. I completely agree with IAYL that Jake having kids 'out of wedlock' is absolutely not a reason for this show to be unsuitable for children... Remember, just like we use the phrase 'Bionicle isn't earth' nor is OOO (even though it kinda is...) This is a post apocalyptic, not to mention REALLY crazy, world where pretty much everything has changed in the 1,000 years since whatever disaster befell the world. Do people even get married anymore? I've only seen one reference to it in the episodes I've seen and that suggests that getting married isn't easy at all. There are no churches or preaches and the like in AT (a good way to make it a MORE widely accessible show IMO) and it seems only leaders like Princess Bubblegum and the King of OOO are able to perform weddings. In fact Treetrunks even states categorically that she CHOSE to be married by the King as opposed to PB which suggests they can basically do whatever they want.

ttaching real-life conditions and situations to things like off the wall cartoons is usually a very inadvisable practice and I can pretty much guarantee you the creators never had any real-life analogs in mind when they wrote this show.

So did anyone see the ending to Lemonhope part 2? I don't get it.

I think that just a look at the future for Lemonhope.

Kopaka.png

stone_good.png

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

In any case there certainly is no denying that Adventure Time pushes the envelope farther and farther as time goes on. The episode Breezy, for instance, had some really, uh. Suggestive themes and scenes? Let's call them that, for lack of a better way to describe it considering that this is BZP. Or you have your Lemongrab episodes from late season 5, what with the cannibalism and dictatorship and...yeah. It's a whole thing.

Breezy wasn't all that bad...

So did anyone see the ending to Lemonhope part 2? I don't get it.

I think that just a look at the future for Lemonhope.

I saw it, but I didn't like it. It got boring.

That is true. But I love it. Especially the Lich- Adventure Time carries that awesome "yup this show is way off the hook" feeling on the surface, but when you start getting deep down into it, looking at ruins, putting two and two together, it becomes a whole lot darker and more interesting.

You just worded that absolutely perfect

:afro: :afro: :afro: 

We mean the episode itself. Also, you can't go around kissing everyone on the mouth for fun, that's one of the biggest reasons my sister (X adventure time fan[very big fan]) stopped watching the show.

Kopaka.png

stone_good.png

We mean the episode itself. Also, you can't go around kissing everyone on the mouth for fun, that's one of the biggest reasons my sister (X adventure time fan[very big fan]) stopped watching the show.

I'm not sure I've actually seen this episode but who's to say what is and isn't acceptable in the future? Finn and Jake routinely kill various creatures and not all of them are monsters. That's the good guys too. Morals are probably very different (and quite rare) in a post apocalyptic mutant future after all! And what's really the difference between kissing on the cheek and kissing on the mouth anyway? Provided they weren't Frenching then ther's no harm done and there's certainly nothing sexual about a kiss, only the perception of said kiss... I kiss my kids on the mouth just like I do my wife and (once upon a time) my parents. I think the rest of my point makes itself without words :P

Just watched it, don't see what the fuss is about. While it's odd to hear Finn say he's just going to 'make-out' with everyone, it's also very clear that his definition of the term is not what you would normally expect. He also says something along the lines of 'I'm looking for something casual' in the sense that he's just courting kisses to try and get back his groove or whatevs... It's just like watching him kiss some friends, which is evident in the scene with LSP as she is clearly obsessed, seeing Finn as more than a friend and is not happy when she realises that all Finn wanted was a single kiss. In fact the suggestion of THAT scen was probably the only strange thing in the entire episode, though it was VERY strange and I'd definitely agree that that was suggestive of something far darker than Adventure Time usually goes for. Otherwise, the kissing aspect of the episode is friendly and totally harmless IMO.

Edited by Munty

I don't really take issue with his actions as much as what they represent about his development, personally. After Fire & Ice Finn had been in a sort of downward spiral of depression and self-indulgence trying to get back on his feet in the wrong ways. And all that was only compounded when he met his father and lost his arm. His going around trying to make his flower feel good just sees him slink down to what is probably his rock bottom thus far. It's not, like, bad necessarily in a moral sense I guess, but the whole numbness and depression he was working through was a tad too bleak and dark and somewhat twisted for my tastes for this show. And then there's the end where he is deflowered literally and possibly figuratively as well...that is part of a larger trend where Adventure Time is scared of changing the status quo for more than a little while, so we see Finn get his arm back like nothing, and...well, the other thing. It's a weird episode.

AXKP5KC.png

Yeah I can see what you mean by all of that. The de-flowering was certainly strange and I didn't really get what it was that caused it to regrow his arm after so long ( and so suddenly) I actually only saw the episode where he lost his arm yesterday so now have both bookends but have missed some intermediate content I guess. The whole LSP thing was the only dodgy bit of the episode for me as we don't really know what happened which is very suggestive for this sort of media. I also read a lot into the way Finn pulled up the covers in the very next scene when they were both asleep, it's very reminiscent of the 'girl with regrets' and does make you wonder...

Either way, I think it's easily overlooked and essentially undetectable to those in the agegroup it would be inappropriate for so no matter what the intentions were with this episode I see no reason they won't 'get away with it'! And now Finn has his mojo back maybe things will change. Bear in mind I'm not up to speed at all so not sure how many episodes have occured after Breezy. No doubt someone will tell me shortly :D

Part of what made Breezy obnoxious to me is that it was episode 6 in season 6, and he lost his arm in episode 2, so that lasted like no time at all. It was sudden and drastic and ehhhh. the only episode related to it in the meantime was The Tower. Anyway, Breezy aired last June or something, so there's been quite a bit of content since, almost thirty episodes I think? There's seen some really good episodes (furniture and meat is a nice callback to AT's simpler days), some advancement in PLOT STUFF with his dad and stuff. Interesting stuff here and there.

The episode before last, Jermaine, saw Finn and Jake's brother finally make an appearance in the present, so that was really cool. Only took over four years...

AXKP5KC.png

Watched a bunch of these while part-checking this week and the first few I watched were just awful. I only watched a bunch yesterday actually and they were so bad I don't even remember them! They seem to be completely irrelevant to everything and a bunch of them take place with literally zero appearances from the major characters. I just don't get it, I loved all the older ones but series 6 seems to be struggling for some reason.

I watched the tower a few days ago and see what you mean about how quickly he got his arm back, hadn't really thought about it till you mentioned it though so meh. I guess the only way to progress the story after he lost it was to somehow have it grow back so in a sense it's understandable. Still very much unimpressed by this season though. I preferred watching Finn struggle with the women in his life to trying to reconcile with his of a dad :P

Personally I know nothing about such an episode! I've been watching the episodes I've missed while working recently but I don't have time to speculate too much so have no idea about upcoming episodes :P The Grybles episodes are usually with the space guy right? And the misleading yet related stories :D 

• 2 weeks later...