Takanuva's Name.

I once asked Greg that, but he didn't give a storyline reason. All he said was that it was so the fans wouldn't know who the 7th Toa was without reading the story.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Knowing Takua, he may have daydreamed about being a Toa before this. He could have already thought of what his name would be if he became a Toa.

Read my comedy, about the Hero Factory villains watching a television channel produced by our Spherus Magnan friends!

The Bionicle Channel

"I expect that when I write my next entry in this chronicle, I will be writing as uncontested ruler of the Brotherhood."

-Certainty, my Memoirs of the Dead entry

^Except we don't know whether or not the tohunga/matoran KNEW that they could become Toa while on Mata-Nui.

69 Days to a Better Body

Days left: 45 | Days completed: 24 | Yesterday: Shoulder's & Glutes - Today's: Triceps - Tomorrow's: Biceps

Miles Completed: 123(+2 Miles) | Today's Time: 1H

8330_s.gif

Exercise time was too bloody hard to fix...forgot to track a few days...sorry.

MOCs: Sah n Dibum - Vehicles Part 1 - Mouldi Pheats - Daleks

Stories: Adventures in the LegoVerse

Interesting Stuff: Shows You're Watching

I always assumed that "Nuva" means "new" in the Matoran language. So 'Toa Nuva' means 'new Toa'and Takunuva means that he is a new version of Takua. That's my theory, at least.

The Nuva part is confirmed, actually. He put that in his name to signify that he has a new form. In a sense, he was a new person.As for the dropped u, I think we should look to real-world grammar, and various fictional grammars like in elven speech of Tolkien. Look at conjugations in German and various similar languages, for example. To say, "I work, he works, they work," in German, they modify the ending of the base word arbeit, so it comes out as, "Ich arbeite, er arbeitet, sie arbeiten." (If I recall correctly lols.)Lots of languages also have shortened versions of names, such as Rob for Robert, and modified versions, such as Bob for either of those.So it's very likely IMO that the language normally has a rule that if you combine two words together, certain shorter versions of the components are to be used, for practical considerations. It doesn't have to be Takua just making that up on the spot, although that's sensible too. It could be that Taka is simply a well-known shorter version of the name Takua. He may have been called Taka as a nickname, for example, even while a Matoran.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Easier to read than Takuanuva. Plus, it wouldn't give away Takua's identity as the 7th Toa too early.

Basically this. However, it is easier to say than 'Takuanuva', also.

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

I always assumed that "Nuva" means "new" in the Matoran language. So 'Toa Nuva' means 'new Toa'and Takunuva means that he is a new version of Takua. That's my theory, at least.

The Nuva part is confirmed, actually. He put that in his name to signify that he has a new form. In a sense, he was a new person.As for the dropped u, I think we should look to real-world grammar, and various fictional grammars like in elven speech of Tolkien. Look at conjugations in German and various similar languages, for example. To say, "I work, he works, they work," in German, they modify the ending of the base word arbeit, so it comes out as, "Ich arbeite, er arbeitet, sie arbeiten." (If I recall correctly lols.)Lots of languages also have shortened versions of names, such as Rob for Robert, and modified versions, such as Bob for either of those.So it's very likely IMO that the language normally has a rule that if you combine two words together, certain shorter versions of the components are to be used, for practical considerations. It doesn't have to be Takua just making that up on the spot, although that's sensible too. It could be that Taka is simply a well-known shorter version of the name Takua. He may have been called Taka as a nickname, for example, even while a Matoran.
That makes the most sense out of all the replies here.

My guess as to why Takua changed his name once he became a toa is because in some cultures, young men change things about themselves as sort of a rite of passage. i.e. a guy with long hair might cut it short when he reaches a certain age.

A Toa eh? What kind of Toa am I?

Ever wanted to read a manga styled retelling of the early years of Bionicle? Here ya go!

http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=1384

My guess as to why Takua changed his name once he became a toa is because in some cultures, young men change things about themselves as sort of a rite of passage. i.e. a guy with long hair might cut it short when he reaches a certain age.

Well, it sorta had something to do with the Naming Day tradition, so you're right to that extent. I can't find it on BS01, but I remember reading somewhere that Vakama didn't change Takua's name because he knew it would be changed when Takua became a Toa. Now that I think about that it doesn't really make much sense, I find it hard to believe that Vakama somehow predicted that Takua would change his name upon becoming Toa, but I think it's safe to say that Naming Day did have something to do with it. After all, Takua was frustrated that his name wasn't changed, so it's not weird to think he'd grab any opportunity to set things right.Only I don't think it's specifically a tradition for Matoran to change their names upon becoming Toa, since the culture of the Metruans after the Great Cataclysm had never seen a Matoran change into a Toa before, and it can't be a cultural tradition the Turaga salvaged from before the GC since they themselves didn't change their name upon becoming a Toa. Plus, I don't think the Metruans were aware Matoran could change into Toa during their time on Mata Nui.'Cutting hair', nicely worded ;) .

I just wonder why he didn't take his old name again after they returned to Metru Nui.

Why should he? Nuhrii, Orkahm and Tehutti did it because their names were, probably unbeknownst to them, changed after the Great Cataclysm and they wanted to honor the time before that, but that wasn't an issue for Takanuva. It wasn't like the name 'Takua' represented the past he had just found out about, because he had been called that throughout the Dark Time as well. He had consciously changed his name because he had become a Toa, and that wasn't reversed or anything.

Because he's like Takua MK II. But in Bionicle-speak, MK II is signified by "nuva". He has a new form, but he's still Takua at heart, and Takuanuva is harder to say. Plus, he's got the same build in set version as the Toa Nuva.-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

I can't find it on BS01, but I remember reading somewhere that Vakama didn't change Takua's name because he knew it would be changed when Takua became a Toa. Now that I think about that it doesn't really make much sense, I find it hard to believe that Vakama somehow predicted that Takua would change his name upon becoming Toa

I don't recall hearing that, but it's quite believable -- it's been well established that Vakama often receives visions of the future. At least one instance was shown in the movies, and at least another in the books. :) So good point. ^_^

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

• 2 weeks later...