Total Cost of Gen2?

Cwog

As of today, I own every Gen2 set, including the Hero Pack and Comic-Con mask. But that got me thinking... how much did that cost? So thats...

$10 * 6 (protectors)

$15 * 4 (Gali, Lewa, Pohatu, LoSS)

$20 * 3 (Tahu, Kopaka, Onua)

So, 60 times 3, with a total of $180. That's right. if you own every gen2 set, you spent $180 on them, plus extra if you were late to the bandwagon with getting the clear comic-con mask. Personally, I got mine off eBay for $30, so I spent $210, excluding total tax.

Now, what about summer? Skull Warrior, Basher, Scorpio, and Slicer are all $15, so that's $60, and Skull Grinder + Ekimu is $30. Wave 2 totals in at $90.

All in all, the total cost of Gen2 waves 1 and 2 is $270*. If you don't own any of the sets yet, and you want all of them, you'd better have some money saved. These are some expensive toys. Granted, they have the versatility of LEGO and the functionality of action figures, so I say it's worth it. What about you? Do you think that the 18 sets of 2015 are worth $270? Let me know; I'm interested to hear your opinion.

*If you don't live in the US, I took the liberty of converting approximate currencies.

European Union - 256 Euros

UK - 182 Pounds

Canada - 345 Dollars

Mexico - 4,174 Pesos

Sorry if your country isn't up there. I tried.

• Upvote 3

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

Honestly, compared with other Lego themes, Bionicle is really really cheap. There's just usually more of them...but even then, it's still relatively cheaper. Compare to Ninjago, in which the first wave this year alone costs well over three hundred dollars. (around 330, in fact). Heck, compare just to Bionicle in 2009, in which a full collection cost well over 400 dollars, not even taking inflation into account. Obviously this is in part due to the higher amount of sets, but it's still kind of a relevant figure. So I mean. It's expensive. But. Not so much.

But yeah, I think just about every set is worth their price, so as a whole? Yeah. Pretty worth it.

• Upvote 8

AXKP5KC.png

Prices are Australian;

· Protectors are $15.95 each,

· Medium Toa & LoSS are $19.95 each

· Large Toa are $29.95 each

They're all 95¢ cheaper at Target, but @ some Myer stores every second item is half price (& if two items are of different prices it's the cheaper one which is halved in price)

So if one grabs all 13 @ certain Myers;

So for Protectors ($15.95*3=$47.85)+([$15.95/2=]$7.98*3=23.94)=$71.79

MT&LoSS are thus $19.95*3=$59.85=($19.95*2=$39.90)+([$19.95/2=]$9.98*2=$19.95)

LT are then ($29.95*2=$59.90)+($29.95/2=$14.98)=$74.88

$206.52 AU

Which is about 150, or $202 Canadian, or £108, or $158 US...

So in the scheme of things it worked out better for me than if I was in most other places.

But generally in Australia it's around the $265.35 (-$12.35 @ Target) AU,

Which is about 192, or $260 Canadian, or £138, or $203 US...

Looking at price per piece, or similar sized sets, it seems fairly comparable to any other LEGO line atm (or even over this century taking inflation into account, and various economic events)

LEGO toys have never been cheap per se, but it doesn't seem unreasonably expensive to me.

So that's just Wave 1, but looking at the Wave 2 I suspect it will be tentatively about $120, I suspect that MMvSG will end up $56~ rather than $40~, with the other four sets @ $16~ rather than $20~; 

So yeah, all up I suspect it's typically going to be about $385 AU, or €278, or $377 Canadian, or £200, or $295 US...

But looking at the dissonance, it'll be a bit cheaper... $25 US cheaper anyway (le hint)...

So if I saved a good $50+ in Wave 1, I suspect I'll be able to save $25~ in Wave 2, but if I buy another set I'll probably buy anyway I could technically save another $25~ bringing me to the same-ish savings as Wave 1 :P

EDIT: Canadian prices are different enough that throwing Australian prices through a currency converter ends up to far off for this sort of stuff, probably applies to the others as well but whatever~

Edited by Iblis
  • Upvote 2

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

I guess it just seemed expensive to me because A) I'm 15 and don't spend amounts of money that large very often, and B) in previous years, the Toa were always cheaper. I recently found an old LEGO catalogue in my bedroom. It's from spring 2008, and each of the Phantoka is listed as $10. Seems like a big difference, but when you account for all the vehicles and titans, it's pretty miraculous I have most of the 2008 sets I do have (all but Vultraz, Gavla, Chirox, Jetrax (yellow and blue), Icarax, Mutran, and Klakk).

• Upvote 2

I guess it just seemed expensive to me because A) I'm 15 and don't spend amounts of money that large very often, and B) in previous years, the Toa were always cheaper.

These are pretty big things, I've spent more in the past two or so years than I had in six years before that; & well, part of me is still expecting a small Bionicle set for wave 2, because well Skull Warrior/Slicer/Basher/Scorpio are a significantly more expensive than the Protectors (relatively speaking), & having even only two small sets would seem like a good way to fill the gap (also would account for the two 'missing' blended masks...), but that ships sailed...

(& whilst the Protectors might have just as much or arguably more to them than the Toa of previous years, they still look more expensive for what they are to many people, even if it does balance out from # of pieces, or volume, or 'complexity' etc. & generally people want a Toa over a Protector etc. So the price looks to have doubled in some places even if other things have had similar rises over the years...)

Wave 2 is going to look pricey to many people, & a 'bare bones' look arguably doesn't help; but I think for the most part it'll work itself out.

[i don't think TLG has ever operated on a sales-premise that the average buyer~receiver will ever get all the sets or even near that... & I think many fans tend to think about owning them all at some point or another, even if it isn't viable for them, but now that I have access to stores that actually have good markdowns, it costs me less even though I now actually have money to spend on such a hobby. ironic. $10 AU a week into toys can cover all Bionicle sets in a year...]

• Upvote 3

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Cheaper than compared the Bionicle's last years with playsets and giant vehicle sets

• Upvote 2

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

The actual cost in Canada is only about $225 CAD, (Not including tax or price varying from retailer to retailer) since they aren't priced as an accurate currency conversion. Protectors are $12.99 CAD, small Toa and LOSS $17.99 CAD, and big Toa are at $24.99 CAD

I definitely think they're worth that price (Currently have all the Toa as well as POI, POS, and POW, and just ordered LOSS, POJ, and POE off of the Lego site)

• Upvote 1
andromeda_m31_slideshow.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

To be totally honest, compared to some of the other stuff Lego's been doing lately, Bionicle G2 is pretty fairly priced.

Considering that the new Star Wars B-Wing is around $45 bucks. Like, I'd like to buy it, but LEGO Star Wars seems really overpriced.

*If you don't live in the US, I took the liberty of converting approximate currencies.

UK - 182 Pounds

The actual cost of all the winter waves on the day of release was £160 IIRC and I believe this second wave will be costing a little over £60 more so a more accurate total for us in the UK would be about £220-230 I think. Quite a difference in direct comparison but I believe the US handles taxes differently to us. I don't know if the US price given includes that but the UK one is all inclusive. Otherwise you guys are getting a pretty good deal, especially considering how the UK is right next door to Lego HQ :P

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

UK - 182 Pounds

The actual cost of all the winter waves on the day of release was £160 IIRC and I believe this second wave will be costing a little over £60 more so a more accurate total for us in the UK would be about £220-230 I think. Quite a difference in direct comparison but I believe the US handles taxes differently to us. I don't know if the US price given includes that but the UK one is all inclusive. Otherwise you guys are getting a pretty good deal, especially considering how the UK is right next door to Lego HQ :P

In the US, sales tax is charged separately from the marked price of a product. The amount charged varies by state and sometimes by locality — Tennessee has the highest sales tax rate on average (9.45 percent), while Delaware, New Hampshire, Montana, and Oregon have no sales tax at all.

Closeness to LEGO HQ really doesn't have any impact on how affordable LEGO is... Denmark and other Scandinavian countries pay much higher prices for LEGO than the US or UK. Prices vary based on a number of factors such as the cost of doing business in that country (distribution costs, etc), the price of comparable products, median household income (people who make more money are less likely to balk at higher prices), etc.

• Upvote 2

In the US, sales tax is charged separately from the marked price of a product. The amount charged varies by state and sometimes by locality — Tennessee has the highest sales tax rate on average (9.45 percent), while Delaware, New Hampshire, Montana, and Oregon have no sales tax at all.

Closeness to LEGO HQ really doesn't have any impact on how affordable LEGO is... Denmark and other Scandinavian countries pay much higher prices for LEGO than the US or UK. Prices vary based on a number of factors such as the cost of doing business in that country (distribution costs, etc), the price of comparable products, median household income (people who make more money are less likely to balk at higher prices), etc.

Yep, what he said :D Based on your extensive knowledge on such matters, it's quite likely that it was you I learned about this from in the first place! Unless it's common knowledge to US residents I guess. Being a 4'ner an all I've obviously had zero exposure to such things!

Alright, so maybe my prices are a bit off. Sorry bout that, non-Americans!

Don't be daft, there was no way you could have known all the international prices! You did good Cwog :D

Edited by Munty
  • Upvote 2

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!