3D printed Ignika + Miru redesign for sale

00dude00

A long while back I posted a topic displaying two kanohi Ignika that I had 3D printed. I ended up keeping one for myself and selling the other to a friend, but since then I've gotten a lot of messages asking if I could make the model available on Shapeways so that anyone could have one. I didn't do this earlier because The model actually had a slight issue in that the plus rod needing sanding to fit properly and I didn't want to sell lots of copies of the model in that condition. Recently, I made a model of a redesigned Miru and using more accurate measurements was able to get the plus rod just right. The original model of the Ignika also had a slight defect in the fact that one of the cylinders on the side of its head was not copied over properly. Both of these issues have now been fixed, so I've decided to make it available to you guys.

For more details on each of the masks available for sale, here are their individual topics (note that the Ignika one is very old, and as a result, dead):

Ignika: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/4354-kanohi-ignika-voya-nui-online-game-style-real-mask/

Miru: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/17954-3d-printed-miru-redesign/

Here is my Shapeways shop from where they can be purchased: https://www.shapeways.com/designer/00dude00

I thought I'd also point out you can view either mask from any angle on their respective Shapeways pages.

If I've left anything out, or you have any questions I'd love to hear them! Also, If you do buy one of these, shoot me a PM once it arrives! I'd love to hear any feedback or even see pictures if you can.

Toa Tupac has kindly provided us with some (very nice) pictures of the Ignika in the translucent detail plastic: http://imgur.com/a/AXstz

ignika.jpgprint%20smaller_zpsbkduismx.jpeg

Edited by 00dude00

They're beautiful.

How much would an Ignika cost printed in metal?  Can you add some to the shop list?

Do you have any idea what Shapeways charges for shipping?

You should PM all those people who were interested back in 2012 so they know about this even if they don't log in til June.

Do you know of a Blender tutorial that you'd recommend?

Edited by Flintsmith

Is it possible to purchase the Ignika in the golden color that your original was made in?  

- :t: :l: :h:

Hasn't that one been painted?

These are both really cool. Thanks for making them available on Shapeways. I saw some other cool models in your brickshelf folder leftover from BNG like the Hagah masks. Do you think those might at some point be made available on Shapeways too? I just don't know if you're the one who modeled them or not.

A Turaga

You are a very wise Turaga.

Ultimate Bionicle Knowledge Quiz

That Miru is amazing. It can join Lhiikan's Hau in being a southern-culture kanohi. Once I get all the graphic novels I need to get, I will definately be getting that!

Maybe the Ignika... I don't know. :shrugs: Nothing against the mask itself, it is superb! I just don't know if I feel like buying it or not. :lol:

Edited by Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Could you create another masks? I really want a recolored great komau in either black or red.

That might be more a job for Flintsmith, or someone really good at painting masks like Heir of the Chronicler.

Anyways, I really like these. I'll probably buy one if not both in the near future.

-Letagi

I've gotta say, I'm loving the recent trend in creating masks using outlets like Shapeways, it's a very interesting technique. I might have to buy that Miru in the Frosted Ultra Detail, I think it would look great like that. Excellent work!

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

I've gotta say, I'm loving the recent trend in creating masks using outlets like Shapeways, it's a very interesting technique. I might have to buy that Miru in the Frosted Ultra Detail, I think it would look great like that. Excellent work!

As do I. It's kind of a neat way to continue G1, not to mention physically realizing masks that were never made into being part of a set.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

First of all I'd like to say thank you to those who have already purchased a mask! I hope you enjoy it and I can't wait to see any possible paint jobs you might give do! Speaking of painting the mask, If you want your mask to have a similar texture to the Ignika, then I suggest using a method called dry brushing. If you look up dry brushing for miniatures or figurines on Google you should be able to find a plethora of videos/articles discussing the topic. Of course there are other ways of painting it that are perfectly viable as well, and if you even just want to leave it in whatever color you ordered it from on Shapeways that's totally cool as well!

They're beautiful.

How much would an Ignika cost printed in metal?  Can you add some to the shop list?

Do you have any idea what Shapeways charges for shipping?

You should PM all those people who were interested back in 2012 so they know about this even if they don't log in til June.

Do you know of a Blender tutorial that you'd recommend?

Thank you! I would have made the masks available in the metallic materials, but they were modeled with the design specifications of the plastics in mind, and as a result doing so would require a physically different model. I also believe printing in plastic is generally better suited for this type of model because the masks have a lot of details that would likely get lost if printed in metal. I actually have PMed a good number of people who have showed interest in the past, and I see a few of them in this thread actually! For Blender tutorials, I used to use a site called Blender Cookie a lot, they have some great "Blender Basics" tutorials. Another site that comes to mind is Blender Guru. Other than that, randomly searching Youtube videos or even just jumping into the Blender Wiki can be of great help. IDK how experienced you are with 3D softwares, but if you're a beginner try and stick with it! It can be hard at times, but in the end it's worth it! good luck :)

I think it would be cool to see them on an actual head.

I can't promise beautiful pictures, but I'll try and get some up! The Miru actually has quite a few on-head pictures in its topic. The Ignika does as well, but I admit that those are a little zoomed out.

Is it possible to purchase the Ignika in the golden color that your original was made in?  

As Gonny pointed out, yes, it was painted using a dry brush method.

Superb work on both masks! They both look very well made, as usual.

I've seen others having issues with their 3D-printed plus rods not being quite right. What were the measurements that you came up with for the rod?

The exact measurements I used was 4.7mm "diameter" and for the extensions from the plus, they start at 1.97mm and taper to about 1.36mm. This website is helpful: http://www.robertcailliau.eu/Lego/Dimensions/zMeasurements-en.xhtml I also used a digital measuring caliper accurate to a hundredth of a millimeter on several plus rods and took the averages for my final measurements. If anyone is interested, I'm willing to make the .obj file of the rod available as I know how annoying it is to get that right! XD

Hasn't that one been painted?

These are both really cool. Thanks for making them available on Shapeways. I saw some other cool models in your brickshelf folder leftover from BNG like the Hagah masks. Do you think those might at some point be made available on Shapeways too? I just don't know if you're the one who modeled them or not.

These guys? http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/bioniclereviews/images/c/c2/Hagah_Toa.png/revision/latest?cb=20110119184238

yeah, I modeled all of those masks myself except for Norik's and Kualas' (Kualas' was a collaboration). Those masks are very old though and were not made with 3D printing in mind, so they would need to be remade. I am however open to commissions at the right price (note that a commission would be more expensive than these masks, as the cost would include the design process), and if you want one of those masks, try shooting me a PM and we can work out the details.

Could you create another masks? I really want a recolored great komau in either black or red.

As Letagi said, this would be better suited for a repaint, if you are interested in a remodel of the mask though, feel free to send me a PM

Again, thank you to everyone else! My buddy also said he would send me some comparison pics with the Miru, so I'll update its gallery with those soon and possibly edit them into this post or a later one!

Superb work on both masks! They both look very well made, as usual.

I've seen others having issues with their 3D-printed plus rods not being quite right. What were the measurements that you came up with for the rod?

The exact measurements I used was 4.7mm "diameter" and for the extensions from the plus, they start at 1.97mm and taper to about 1.36mm. This website is helpful: http://www.robertcailliau.eu/Lego/Dimensions/zMeasurements-en.xhtml I also used a digital measuring caliper accurate to a hundredth of a millimeter on several plus rods and took the averages for my final measurements. If anyone is interested, I'm willing to make the .obj file of the rod available as I know how annoying it is to get that right! XD

Ok, thanks! Sounds like you have it really fine-tuned. I'll have to bookmark that website, too.

I am certainly interested in the .obj file. I'm sure it would be a great help.

Wow! Excellent job on that Ignika, I was actually trying to get someone to do that for me as a commission so you saved me the trouble :D Will definitely look into adding this to my collection, would like to see it in a more familiar colour though.

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

They're beautiful.

Thank you! I would have made the masks available in the metallic materials, but they were modeled with the design specifications of the plastics in mind, and as a result doing so would require a physically different model. I also believe printing in plastic is generally better suited for this type of model because the masks have a lot of details that would likely get lost if printed in metal. 

What do you mean by "design specifications"?  Do you mean wall thickness?  Wouldn't that just make them more expensive than they deed to be (because Shapeways charges by the gram and metal is stronger than plastic and so could be thinner than in your plastic-optimized design)?

Why would details be lost if printed in metal?

I have SO many questions!

Thanks.  

Nice pictures Toa Tupac.  I like the frosty-trans look,  It cries out for some Sharpie pattern to make it look like stained glass.

Edited by Flintsmith

Just got mine in the mail today!

http://m.imgur.com/a/AXstz

Amazing work!!!

Wow! It's great to see that the first shipments are coming in, and thanks for the pictures! That's actually the first time I've seen it in the detail plastic, and I have to admit that the translucency looks pretty fantastic XD Do you mind If I use these pictures on the shapeways page? And BTW, is that frosted ultra detail? or just frosted detail?

They're beautiful.

Thank you! I would have made the masks available in the metallic materials, but they were modeled with the design specifications of the plastics in mind, and as a result doing so would require a physically different model. I also believe printing in plastic is generally better suited for this type of model because the masks have a lot of details that would likely get lost if printed in metal. 

What do you mean by "design specifications"?  Do you mean wall thickness?  Wouldn't that just make them more expensive than they deed to be (because Shapeways charges by the gram and metal is stronger than plastic and so could be thinner than in your plastic-optimized design)?

Why would details be lost if printed in metal?

I have SO many questions!

Thanks.  

Nice pictures Toa Tupac.  I like the frosty-trans look,  It cries out for some Sharpie pattern to make it look like stained glass.

Yes, wall thickness is the biggest one. While it would seem that metal is stronger, and as a result could have a smaller wall thickness, it actually isn't as fine as the plastic, so it actually needs to be thicker.

Edited by 00dude00

I personally used a thin layer of black primer then acrylic over that. I'm no expert when it comes to painting models, but from what I've read acrylics are easier to mix as well as easier on your brushes, I've also painted several masks (and even a full figure - Nuparu) using them, so that's what I would suggest. But do your research and decide for yourself.