Did the 2001 Toa Have Their Masks Swapped?

jed1ndy

The question is pretty much the topic title: Did the Toa have their masks swapped during the design period of 2001? If we look at early artwork of 2001 done by Christian Faber, we can see an awakening Tahu on the golden beach putting on a Miru instead of a Hau, and at the 2001 Toy Fair reveal, the prototype Kopaka was wearing a white Hau instead of an Akaku. Additionally, early artwork of the Doo Heads shows Kick with a head that appears to be very similar to a Kaukau, and Flame with a head similar to the noble Huna. So again, did the Toa have their masks swapped during the design period of 2001?

EDIT: Links!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-kEpwZHTXFh4/T4NiIBJjlbI/AAAAAAAAAGM/t75fEEKZm-I/s1600/Early+bionicle_the+birth+of+a+Toa.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/6/68096/1294326-tahu40.jpg

http://www.alteredstatesmag.com/mar2001/graphics/Bio_Kopaka.jpg

Edited by jed1ndy
  • Upvote 4

"The Kingslayer"

z2r5DTz.png

Complete Okoto Alphabet + Okotoan Symbols | Infrared's Okoto Font | SDCC Semi-Live Coverage

—————————BZPGOT S1 KILLS—————————

Gi9juq3.png

I don't know. Likely the prototypes went through a couple of iterations before they finalised the looks.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

The Element IDs for the Toa Mata masks do provide some clues that the Toa Mata masks might have at one point been assigned to different Toa, but they are not consistent with the observations you're basing this theory on. Sequentially, the first six Element IDs for Toa Mata masks are 4143538 (Bright Blue Kakama), 4143540 (Bright Red Hau — this one did not change), 4143543 (White Pakari), 4143545 (Earth Orange/classic brown Miru), 4143548 (Dark Green/classic green Kakama), and 4143550 (Black Ruru).

There are some definite quirks to this list — the Kaukau and Akaku are not listed for any of the Toa, while the noble Ruru is included and the Kakama is listed twice. This is not unheard of with prototypes — some of the Toa Hordika prototypes we've seen had masks shared between multiple characters — so it's possible these masks were never meant to be the characters' final masks and were just the first six produced because they needed masks for focus testing or something.

The next five Element IDs for masks (4143780–4143784) give us the remaining Toa masks in their proper colors: the Dark Green Miru, Black Pakari, Earth Orange Kakama, White Akaku, and Transparent Blue Kaukau, in that order.

• Upvote 5

Don't quote me on this, because I can't for the life of me remember where I heard it, but I'm pretty sure the designers just assigned the original masks based on which mold they though would look best in which color. So I suppose it's entirely possible that some early material might have some of the masks switched around.

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

It's possible, but I bet the kaukau was always blue, as it looks like a scuba mask.

Very true. Wasn't there a quote from an old interview saying the Kaukau was the last of the Toa Mata masks designed? I know for sure that it was the only one designed digitally with a CAD program rather than by hand-carving a 3:1 scale model.

• Upvote 2

Technically they wore all the masks anyways, but I understand where you are coming from. I don't think they "swapped" out ideas. Each have character development and their mask design to represent their element/style/"culture". 

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Fun Fact: The Vahi was originally going to be Tahu's mask, but they replaced it with the mask you see now and made the Vahi something totally different. There's actually some concept art somewhere showing Tahu awakening wearing the prototype Vahi. It was the first mask LEGO ever designed.

Edited by -Chronix Master of Stuff-
  • Upvote 2

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

Fun Fact: The Vahi was originally going to be Tahu's mask, but they replaced it with the mask you see now and made the Vahi something totally different. There's actually some concept art somewhere showing Tahu awakening wearing the prototype Vahi. It was the first mask LEGO ever designed.

Get it? The mask has a "T" for tahu

I always thought it looked like cheese.

• Upvote 2

I always thought it looked like cheese.

Tahu: Master of Cheese. :P

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.