Pohatu's Boomerangs

Regitnui

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but Pohatu, built as default, holds his boomerangs incorrectly. As far as I know, when you hold a boomerang for throwing, you do so with the middle facing inwards. Pohatu's "stormarangs" face outwards. I've repositioned the weapons on my Pohatu, and suddenly it makes so much more sense.

Holding the boomerangs correctly allows them to fold up in his hands, so he doesn't have to carry a weapon longer than his arm all the time. When he needs to throw one, he simply flicks it open. Boom! Portability, and a solution to one of the more implausible things about Pohatu Okoto.

Comments?

• Upvote 5

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I usually keep the one in his right hand the default way because it looks kind of a like a blade, and the one in his left hand the right way.

This is partially why I like the 'correct' way of holding them. They can flip completely open as a blade (narrow 'interior' is sharp), completely closed for carrying or as a shield, and pop open for throwing.

Pohatu's boomerangs aren't meant for clubbing. We've only ever seen him throw them. So it's safe to assume that he should be holding them for throwing, not bonking spiders over the noggin.

Makes sense, though the stormerangs look really odd when they're closed. Personally, I prefer them held backwards like arm blades when not being thrown.

I'm now considering that an alternative Adrenaline Mode. Looks pretty good. Edited by Regitnui

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

The turbine is directly under Pohatu's foot when flying. If the fan is what's keeping the weapon aloft, why throw it in the first place?

The turbine is directly under Pohatu's foot when flying. If the fan is what's keeping the weapon aloft, why throw it in the first place?

Because there are enemies in the distance that need a good boomerang to the head. The turbine would help him get his boomerang back faster and plus Pohatu is confirmed to throw the boomerangs

Because there are enemies in the distance that need a good boomerang to the head. The turbine would help him get his boomerang back faster and plus Pohatu is confirmed to throw the boomerangs
I fail to see how a fan in the middle would do anything other than interfere horribly with the flight of an otherwise practically perfected weapon.

I dunno, I personally only use the boomerangs as swords for some reason, they look more BA than the actual swords,

Swords, shields, boomerangs and they can snap shut on a limb during mêlée combat. I think using them as swords is missing the possibilities.

Edited by Regitnui
  • Upvote 1

I fail to see how a fan in the middle would do anything other than interfere horribly with the flight of an otherwise practically perfected weapon.

Yeah, presumably the turbines are what allows Pohatu to fly when the boomerangs are on his feet, but indeed there's no way they could help the boomerangs when thrown.

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
-------------------------------------
Rate The Song Above You

I was actually researching boomerangs earlier today. Some boomerangs aren't meant for throwing, but clubbing, which you would hold with the angle pointing outwards. Since his boomerangs don't fly really well (actually I don't think they can fly at all :blink:), I assume he's clubbin'.

Well, Tahu's swords don't make a good surfboard, Hahli's fins don't help her swim well, Lewa can't fly with his air katanas, the Inika swords can't cut well, and Pohatu propellers (2008) didn't make him fly.

Plastic representations of the weapons are obviously not the real deal.

• Upvote 2

Well, we have seen the spinning in the animations, implying that they're thrown like normal boomerangs.

I dunno, I personally only use the boomerangs as swords for some reason, they look more BA than the actual swords,

Swords, shields, boomerangs and they can snap shut on a limb during mêlée combat. I think using them as swords is missing the possibilities.

BRUTAL

Self MOC: Fren

How lewd

Who doesn't know how to use a boomerang these days?

• Upvote 2

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

What if we just say that the designer doesn't know how to use a boomerang?

What if we say it's a toy and its functionality as a building element trumps its actual aerodynamics or traditional design? :P

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 5

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

He actually holds them correctly in the animations.

Partially why i asked myself why he was holding them wrong as built.

• Upvote 1

As someone who is from Australia, I'm sort of happy to see some Aboriginal influences make their way into Bionicle, but not so happy to see them horrendously misrepresented the way they have been. 

That is not how boomerangs are held!!! Get it right, Lego.

Edited by Roman Torchwick

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Frankly, I imagine the only reason the boomerangs are held incorrectly in the instructions and boxart is to appeal to how the majority of people (especially kids) consider "correct". If the boomerangs were any other weapon, they would naturally be held with the "bladed" end facing outward. The proper way to hold or throw a boomerang is not common knowledge in most of Lego's primary markets, and Pohatu's sales could likely take a hit if kids perceive him to be holding his weapon "wrong" or "backwards", regardless of how inaccurate those perceptions are.

I don't think it's a very big deal, all things considered. After all, repositioning a weapon in a figure's hand is one of the easiest modifications you can give a set, so people who do want the set to hold the weapon the correct way can make those changes with no issues.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother