BIONICLE Episode 7 Released in English

Could they not at least get TWO voice actors though? I mean, with the scarcity of actual dialogue, they could even have someone just do it for free. Then Gali wouldn't sound male.

Or they could have one voice actor who can manage six characters! Not actually that hard given most voice actors are expected to be able to do a few significantly different voices.

That strikes me as the best idea. And I recognize that it's not the characters' voices, but the narrator speaking.

I also recognize that as incredibly stupid.

Audiobooks and adults reading stories to their children are cancelled forever now. Unless you have someone else to do the voices of the opposite sex, it will never be good enough.

This is neither of those things. There is no excuse for this.

They can do better than this. And I see them as obligated to do so.

• Upvote 1

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Could they not at least get TWO voice actors though? I mean, with the scarcity of actual dialogue, they could even have someone just do it for free. Then Gali wouldn't sound male.

Or they could have one voice actor who can manage six characters! Not actually that hard given most voice actors are expected to be able to do a few significantly different voices.

That strikes me as the best idea. And I recognize that it's not the characters' voices, but the narrator speaking.

Audiobooks and adults reading stories to their children are cancelled forever now. Unless you have someone else to do the voices of the opposite sex, it will never be good enough.

I agree. We give them our hard-earned money. and for what? So they can short us?

• Upvote 2

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Except that it is almost exactly that. It's a narrator.

None of the characters outside the omniscient narrator have ever spoken. We have heard the voice of one character, and who he is, well, that's the mystery.

• Upvote 3

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

In some of the episodes dubbed in foreign languages, Gali is voiced by a female.

Interesting...

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

None of the characters outside the omniscient narrator have ever spoken. We have heard the voice of one character, and who he is, well, that's the mystery.

Really? I thought Tahu and PoF had lines and talked, and now the group of Toa have all had their own chance to speak. 

My favourite episode yet!! It's great to see the gang together for the first time,I love the part when tahu and kopaka fight.brings fond memory's of past times,and I like at the end we get our first tease at The Lord of skull spiders. Strange it's not on the website though,I can't wait for the rest of the episodes, (in English )

My favourite episode yet!! It's great to see the gang together for the first time,I love the part when tahu and kopaka fight.brings fond memory's of past times,and I like at the end we get our first tease at The Lord of skull spiders. Strange it's not on the website though,I can't wait for the rest of the episodes, (in English )

Actually, it is on the website now. :D

I agree. We give them our hard-earned money. and for what? So they can short us?

Unlike, say, the old movies and books, which actually provided their own revenue, the online animations are totally free to watch for everybody—no purchase necessary. So your "value for money" argument falls flatter than Toa Mahri Kongu's torso. Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Unlike, say, the old movies and books, which actually provided their own revenue, the online animations are totally free to watch for everybody—no purchase necessary. So your "value for money" argument falls flatter than Toa Mahri Kongu's torso.

A value for money argument isn't needed. To provide proper voicing would be an easy task, and most likely wouldn't even require any extra expenditure of money. The theater club at a random highschool could do better, effortlessly.

I view them as obligated to do so not because we pay them to, but because it's well within their power to accomplish without any sort of problem.

• Upvote 2

Pk57sNJ.jpg

I also recognize that as incredibly stupid.

Unlike, say, the old movies and books, which actually provided their own revenue, the online animations are totally free to watch for everybody—no purchase necessary. So your "value for money" argument falls flatter than Toa Mahri Kongu's torso.

A value for money argument isn't needed. To provide proper voicing would be an easy task, and most likely wouldn't even require any extra expenditure of money. The theater club at a random highschool could do better, effortlessly.

I view them as obligated to do so not because we pay them to, but because it's well within their power to accomplish without any sort of problem.

It IS well within their power to accomplish. Which is why it can be safely assumed that, like it or not, Lego's choice of a single narrator is completely intentional. Your mistake is assuming your opinion is universal, or for that matter, that Lego "owes" us anything beyond what we're getting.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Really? I thought Tahu and PoF had lines and talked, and now the group of Toa have all had their own chance to speak.
They have all spoken the same way a character in an audiobook has "spoken". It is just a narrator using slightly different voices to differentiate the characters for his audience. Like a guy around a campfire.
  • Upvote 4

They have all spoken the same way a character in an audiobook has "spoken". It is just a narrator using slightly different voices to differentiate the characters for his audience. Like a guy around a campfire.

But... why? Wouldn't it be far more effective to have distinct voices for these animations? These aren't literature, these are visual pieces and having a single narrator to do all the voices would be like watching a movie where everything is dubbed over by the same voice. Sure there's narration, but I think it would work better to have that separated from the characters. It furthers the gap between the characters and makes them seem more individual.

• Upvote 3

They're trying to tell a story, so I guess kids associate that with a single narrator.

• Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

But... why? Wouldn't it be far more effective to have distinct voices for these animations? These aren't literature, these are visual pieces and having a single narrator to do all the voices would be like watching a movie where everything is dubbed over by the same voice. Sure there's narration, but I think it would work better to have that separated from the characters. It furthers the gap between the characters and makes them seem more individual.

As far as films- a bunch if movies I saw as a kid did exactly that. Milo and Otis is one of the best examples I can think of.
  • Upvote 1

It's just a way of telling the story. It makes it seem like a legend, being passed down through oral tradition by a narrator.

We have heard the voice of one character, and who he is, well, that's the mystery.

I thought it was pretty clear that the Narrator was the voice of old PoF telling the story to his son, from the "Listen, my son..." segment in Episode 1. :shrugs:

(That doesn't mean that the characters can't be voice acted automatically. The movie The Princess Bride is the obvious exception to that rule.)

I thought it was pretty clear that the Narrator was the voice of old PoF telling the story to his son, from the "Listen, my son..." segment in Episode 1. :shrugs:

(That doesn't mean that the characters can't be voice acted automatically. The movie The Princess Bride is the obvious exception to that rule.)

But the father villager uses a generic villager model, not the Protector model. And he talks about the Protectors in a sort of removed sense.

• Upvote 1

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

But the father villager uses a generic villager model, not the Protector model. And he talks about the Protectors in a sort of removed sense.

I'll allow that he could be another old villager talking about the Protectors. The point is, that really isn't the focus of the mystery here. We know who he is.

• Upvote 1

An awesome episode. I love the interactions between the Toa. Dialogue didn't feel too smooth IMO, and I'm kind of disappointed with the lack of variety in voices for Lewa, Kopaka and Tahu, but the animation and just seeing all the Toa together finally make up for any disappointment. Pohatu's "cool" attitude is an interesting deviation from his original incarnation. I loved seeing Onua split up a typical Kopaka vs Tahu fight with Lewa jokingly commenting on it later on. 

I think it's obvious that Tahu is going to end up the leader, but regardless, this was a nice callback to the moment in the 2001 story when all the Toa finally met up.

And Gali sharing the narrators voice doesn't bug me. Her hyper-feminine pose is kind of an indication that she is indeed a female. Though I do agree that they did not make it extremely clear that the story is being mediated through a single narrator - It makes sense, but I can understand the confusion.

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

That's Korean, but yeah that only came out yesterday, although there was Episode 8 in another language other than English released weeks ago... TLG really isn't great with spacing these things out methinks.

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

• 2 weeks later...

You know what, I think that you're taking this way to seriously. This IS just a web-cartoon, after all. If the narrator bothers you that much, you can wait for the books to be released. That way your imagination could give Gali a more feminine voice.

• Upvote 1