Review: The Awakening

Millennium

Greetings, BZPower community. Let's say obvious things first. This is the review topic for my very first "epic", given that I do not like to have it called this way. The first on this forum, at least. And the first in english.

The interests section of my profile is empty, but I will tell you now: I write. A lot. I dream of becoming a professional writer one day. I have already completed a novel, am working on other two (one of which is co-authored), and many short stories. All of this in italian of course. Since I am italian (well, how unexpected).

I have been thinking about a Bionicle novel for quite some time now, and had a very precise idea of a total re-imagining of the G1 universe, already before Bionicle's return. Then something changed. I received inspiration. A massive surge of inspiration. The original project I had in mind? Completeley scrapped (I still have the notes for it, anyway). I was so dang inspired that I began writing on this new 'novel' right away, even when I should be working on my other works.

So, here we are. It'll be interesting to develop a novel in english rather than in italian. And because of this, I do not assure that what I write is grammatically or sintaxically correct. Feel free...more free than ever to point out mistakes of the sort.

What else. Oh, right. I do not know the rate at which I'll be updating this. In general I have plenty of free time (unless I find a job these days, but I don't have many hopes for this...) and, for the moment, I have the second chapter ready (in mind, still not written) and part of the third.

And this is it.

The epic/novel/whatever you want to call it

Edited by Millennium

Very interesting! It reminds me of the serials by Greg, and gives me some nostalgia for the 2001-2003 story line. It's good to have Takua back as a protagonist! I'm curious about this story because the characters are well-known and yet their personalities are a little bit different from the canon, it brings some innovation to the world. Characters are nicely fleshed out and the Matoran society seems 'more adult' than it is in the main story, if that makes any sense.
Do you write in Italian and then translate in English or write directly in English? Looking forward for the next chapter, keep it up!

• Upvote 1

hidron_nuva_idea.png

Thanks for your comment Hidron! Yes, (this might be a little spoiler) Takua will be the main protagonist here, with the story taken mostly from the original MNOG, but I have the idea to split the narration in two parts: one from the point of view of Takua and the other...well, you'll see (from the fourth or fifth chapter I guess). As for the 'more adult' thing, yeah. I'm trying to represent a (deeply reimagined) Bionicle world in a more serious and realistic way.

As for your question, I write directly in english. Writing in italian and translating would cost me a lot of work, even if maybe it could bring better quality (I'm not sure, anyway).

To all the other readers out there, if there are any, I think I'll have the next chapter ready in two or three days. It'll give more insight on the matoran society, as well as their biology. Moreover, as the narration goes, I'll update the head post with some bits of info regarding characters, locations, etc.

• 1 month later...

New chapter is up. It took longer than expected and, since it is actually still not finished, it's expected to be even longer. But I thought it was long enough for it to be posted here. Part two (and final) will come soon. Soon I will also make a map of Mata Nui, provide a kanohi sheet for reference (some kanohi have names we know but have different shapes) and other bits of info...like I said in the post above here.