Weird Wording in the 2001 - 2008 Narrated History

Grungemeister

I've watched this video more times than I can count. I'm sure everyone has. It has awesome narration and visuals, and it's a good concise history in chronological order, set-wise. However, at the beginning, when it lists the Toa Mata "Tahu, courageous Toa of fire" etc, it lists five of the six and the says "teamed with Pohatu". Why does the narrator make a distinction between Pohatu and the rest of the Toa? It's not like he is different from the rest. It would make sense if it listed five and then said "teamed with their leader, Tahu", or if it was talking about the Chronicler's Company and ended with "teamed with Takua, the Chronicler." They have differentiation from the rest of the team.

Why is there a distinction between Pohatu and the rest?

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

Given that Pohatu also gets a description -- "mighty Toa of Stone," I would guess it's just how they decided to end the list. If Kopaka had been last on the list, they probably would have said "teamed with Kopaka, powerful Toa of Ice."

I've always been far more perturbed by some of the pronunciation -- the "Bohrak-Kell" and the "dreaded Ruckshi"

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

I like how he pronounces Rahkshi. It sounds kinda Germanic or something.

I just now realized that there's an extra syllable before he says Pohatu, so it's like "teamed with a Pohatu". That's kinda weird.

• Upvote 2

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  

I never considered it before, but perhaps English is not the first language of the narrator. It would explain some of the variations in semantics, emphasis, pronunciation, etc. that strike the ears of us native English-speakers as incorrect, in addition to the seemingly exaggerated accent

Edited by Jacks

bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

I never considered that.

*listens again*

Yeah, the narrator pronounces some things kind of odd. "Metra Nui" and "Legendry"

I have no idea what kind of accent it would be though. I originally thought maybe it was German, but Germans enunciate "-er" very clearly, as in der, er, Keller, Trainer, Wasser, Tochter etc. The narrator has a kind of "-eh" soft R that many people in the UK have. 

EDIT: Actually, it could be German. While "-er" is enunciated, it's not a hard R. I can't really describe it, so type one of the words I said into a German text to speech thing.

Edited by Toa Vanson

Makes sense to cap it all off with "teamed with" just to insinuate that they were indeed a team and not just individuals doing their own thing. BTW I just want to mention that this video was so awesome, I got immense goosebumps when they first released it in 2008.

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

I remember copying this down to a piece of paper and reading it to my parents and brother back when I was a young kid.  :P The phrase "teamed with a Pohatu" always confused me. I've never heard it used before outside the video even to the present day. 

bZpOwEr