Should The BZRPG be rebooted into G2?

CeeCee

When you think about it, the BZPRPG has become a convoluted mess that makes it very hard for new comers to join. I myself have tried a handful of times but I have had little success in integrating myself into this already heavily established universe which rivals that of even the old Bionicle G1(which alas, should have been put down years ago).

Just imagine being a newcomer to Bionicle in general and seeing all these powers and masks you never knew existed. Hardly a welcoming site when all you want to do is create a Toa of Fire and bash the heads in of a skull villain. Pretty daunting.

I just think that this would be a big step in the right direction to not only help accustom to fans to the site but old fans into the new story. What better way to grow fond of a new universe than to be part of it?

I know there isn't much of a story so far, but that isn't a bad thing. The whole point of an RPG is that the players can create their own tales. 

For the record, I am assuming that this will be done at some point but the questions are: Should it be done? And when should it be done?

EDIT: Hey guys. I'm really not doing this to go against any one of you or the stories and characters you have created. Please for the love of all that's holy dont assume that.

Edited by r34daka
  • Upvote 4

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

We already killed the old BZPRPG back in 2010.

Then the next iteration was rapidly and ruthlessly removed by the remarkable respite suffered by the site in 2011.

The current one only got going in late 2011/start of 2012.

The mythology here is tiny. It's just: "the Toa Mata got beaten. Makuta was top tier guy for a while. Then these Matoran guys got the weird soul-majiggies of the Toa Mata and took down the Makuta through plot. Now the villages are adjusting to no Makuta and also there are Japanese Toa from across the sea visiting. Also Piraka. And the remnants of Makuta's minions are trying to screw things up."

That's literally the entire plot.

• Upvote 12

The current iteration of the BZPRPG has a huge playerbase and has been running for several successful years now. Why should it be closed down and completely rebooted - abruptly cutting off all of the story and characters everyone's been working on for so long - on the off chance that maybe a small handful of new fans won't want to play it? 

If you really think there needs to be a Gen2 RPG, then maybe you should post your ideas here: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/126-the-official-rpg-planning-topic/ and see what everyone else thinks. 

• Upvote 7

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

To put this in the most succinct way possible...

b45fca4583033a98d228f0ed4e60cb97.gif

If that does not express my viewpoint satisfactorily, I'll elaborate. Speaking as a member of the BZPRPG Staff, there are no plans to make a change to the G2 Bionicle. I do not mean that in the "we haven't thought about it" or the "maybe one day" way; I mean it in the way that we have the next four years of story at least sketched out in rough drafts, and G2 does not come into it in any way, shape, or form. The current iteration of the BZPRPG has existed for only four years. There's an entire topic (Titled, I might add, "BZPRPG Starter Topic") dedicated to laying out the essential information of the world and plot. And a disturbing number of new players do not read it. Anyone who has read it, in my experience, usually has only a few minor questions not covered by the topic.

The BZPRPG universe is not a G1 universe. It is a universe entirely its own that makes use of mechanics and lore established by the G1 story, altered to suit its own purposes. Moving to G2 would be, in every sense of the word, a downgrade for the purposes of the BZPRPG. Its lore is minimal, its mechanics are virtually unknown, and Okoto has few memorable characteristics to call upon for the purposes of such a game.

Shifting to G2 would gain us nothing, and would serve to alienate the playerbase we already have by wiping out characters they've worked on for years. And given that we've had a spike in players joining the game since Bionicle's return, and none of them have attempted to do anything related to G2, I think we're pretty safe. 

If you'd like a G2 RPG, like Nato said, it's best suited for an individual judge system game.

• Upvote 12

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

When you think about it, the BZPRPG has become a convoluted mess that makes it very hard for new comers to join. I myself have tried a handful of times but I have had little success in integrating myself into this already heavily established universe which rivals that of even the old Bionicle G1(which alas, should have been put down years ago).

We do have a starter topic with backstory details and major plot events, if you need to get caught up somewhere. Aside from that, if you're just starting out, there are two things you can do. In the best case scenario you can attract the attention of one of the veterans and have them ease you in IC; have them show you how the game world works (I can only think of one time off the top of my head this has ended badly IC for the new character, but that was mostly because the old character they got stuck with didn't have the best moral compass; choose your mentors wisely). If worst comes to worst, just PM one of the staff asking them what's going on, or ask about it in N&D.

Just imagine being a newcomer to Bionicle in general and seeing all these powers and masks you never knew existed. Hardly a welcoming site when all you want to do is create a Toa of Fire and bash the heads in of a skull villain. Pretty daunting.

So what would be your idea? If you could write an RPG about Okoto, what would you do with it? We do have an RPG submission system for smaller, side RPGs.

I just think that this would be a big step in the right direction to not only help accustom to fans to the site but old fans into the new story. What better way to grow fond of a new universe than to be part of it?

On the other side of the coin, this would essentially be a forced mandate to switch to G2, which many people wouldn't really be fond of. It's not so much the matter of G1 or G2, since the BZPRPG right now is taking very broad strokes with canon: to paraphrase Aaron (Nuju Metru), "We beat it away with a stick, while looting its greatest treasures."

I know there isn't much of a story so far, but that isn't a bad thing. The whole point of an RPG is that the players can create their own tales.

... Imagine you have two sets of colored pencils. One of them only comes with seven colors. The other comes with seventy. Which can you do more with?

While you could argue that you could mix the colors with the seven set, you wouldn't have to with the seventy set, as its probably already there. Having more tones and shades at your disposal will help you greatly in creating a picture with greater subtlety, depth; it just gives you more options.

In this analogy, the colors represent plot elements and ideas available to base your story off of. Bionicle G2 is still in its fledgling state; all we know so far is that there used to be two mask-making brothers, but both of them are now unconscious since one of them got cocky and made the Mask of Ultimate Power, there are these villagers being attacked by Skull Spiders coming from... Somewhere, and six Toa came down from the heavens as according to prophecy.

Granted, you could do a Picaresque story involving the daily lives of the Protectors, but some people might not like the lack of raw material to work with.

My advice would be to wait until next year's arc starts (next winter), when the G2 story has more firmly entrenched itself; this will give a stronger foundation to base your story off of.

For the record, I am assuming that this will be done at some point but the questions are: Should it be done? And when should it be done?

Ultimately, the decision would rest with GSR and Nuju Metru. And given that they already have a general story outline for several years down the line, it's not likely a reboot will occur. If you really want to have a large-scale Okoto RPG made, you could post a ticket in Tracker to petition for a second BZPRPG, but I don't think the RPG staff have the time to staff two BZPRPGs at once (unless a new staff team was appointed for the second RPG...)

Edited by One-Eyed Construct
  • Upvote 2

If we rebooted the BZPRPG every time it got complicated nobody would play because they would keep losing the characters that they put so much effort into.

There comes a point in a long lived RPG where you have to live with the complications, if you want to call them that. Most people call it a rich and well defined world. Sometimes it just takes a bit of effort to familiarize yourself with everything.

• Upvote 11

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Yeah I just finally got my characters into the game and am not looking forward to having to recreate them in Protector form. Seeing as how it is widely believed that there is only one "Protector" per village for the Gen2 story it would really limit the possibilities of character options. If you are not the village protector, you are a weak villager. While it would be cool to see what my characters would look like in Gen2 as both a Protector and Toa builds. From a story stand point I am not looking forward to it. That isn't to say I would not try out a gen2 RPG but not at the cost of the current one.

• Upvote 1

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Yeah I just finally got my characters into the game and am not looking forward to having to recreate them in Protector form. Seeing as how it is widely believed that there is only one "Protector" per village for the Gen2 story it would really limit the possibilities of character options. If you are not the village protector, you are a weak villager. While it would be cool to see what my characters would look like in Gen2 as both a Protector and Toa builds. From a story stand point I am not looking forward to it. That isn't to say I would not try out a gen2 RPG but not at the cost of the current one.

I think a couple people have made the case that the Protectors are just villagers that happen to be the leaders of the tribes and have a fancy weapon.  Or if they haven't that's the case I'm making right now.  There's also a bunch of theories floating around that the Skull villians are mutated villagers or former Toa, so there are a lot less limits on creating characters than one would think.

Anyway a Gen2 RPG would be quite fun though I can't say much about the current BZPRPG, I'm having a hard time even finding the thing on here.  I'd like to be a part--not as one of the creators, but as one of the players.

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

An RPG set on Okoto?

Cool.

Killing off the current iteration of the BZPRPG to make it?

Not so much.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

Look guys, I'm not saying I want it scrapped. It's just that Bionicle as we know it is Okoto. Why hasnt the the BZRPG gone with it? And I know that it follows a different story to G1 but there are a lot of things (powers, races, masks, etc) that are exclusive to Gen 1. 

The fact that someone who has hardly played the BZPRPG wants it scrapped is pretty stupid to m.

I've played it enough to know what the problems are so please don't assume, thanks mate.

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

It's just that Bionicle as we know it is Okoto. Why hasnt the the BZRPG gone with it? 

Because the people who are currently actually playing the game are fine with it where it is? 

• Upvote 7

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

It's just that Bionicle as we know it is Okoto. Why hasnt the the BZRPG gone with it?

... Did you read our arguments? At all? Starter topic, people not wanting to scrap their characters, more lore to work off of, in-depth story, yadda yadda yadda?

I'm not asking for a systematic deconstruction of the opponent's logic, but at least, you know... Acknowledge that you read them?

But ultimately...

Because the people who are currently actually playing the game are fine with it where it is?

... the argument boils down to this. The game staff have no plans of changing the plotline just to fit Gen 2 for at least the next four years, and the playerbase doesn't seem to be in a hurry to change as well. It's not broken, and while I personally believe the adage of "ain't broke, don't fix it" is flawed, in this case, the BZPRPG doesn't deserve a complete overhaul, because it's working pretty well as it is.

• Upvote 9

I think a couple people have made the case that the Protectors are just villagers that happen to be the leaders of the tribes and have a fancy weapon.  Or if they haven't that's the case I'm making right now.  There's also a bunch of theories floating around that the Skull villians are mutated villagers or former Toa, so there are a lot less limits on creating characters than one would think.

Anyway a Gen2 RPG would be quite fun though I can't say much about the current BZPRPG, I'm having a hard time even finding the thing on here.  I'd like to be a part--not as one of the creators, but as one of the players.

And those are some interesting theories. I've read a few, and if they turn out to be true, great. Even if they don't turn out to be true they could be the basis for a great story or a BRPG. But at the moment, they are theories. Until such a time as the story reveals anything about them, we don't really have much canon information to go off of. In comparison, to borrow CM's metaphor, the G! universe already gives us plenty of colored pencils to work with instead of having to mix our own colors.

Look guys, I'm not saying I want it scrapped. It's just that Bionicle as we know it is Okoto. Why hasnt the the BZRPG gone with it? And I know that it follows a different story to G1 but there are a lot of things (powers, races, masks, etc) that are exclusive to Gen 1. 

The fact that someone who has hardly played the BZPRPG wants it scrapped is pretty stupid to m.

I've played it enough to know what the problems are so please don't assume, thanks mate.

Here is where I have to disagree with you. Firstly, Okoto is not the Bionicle we know. Okoto has existed for about six months. In contrast the G1 universe existed for ten years, and if you were to poll the people on this site, you would find that the vast majority were introduced with G1. Some, like myself, have been fans from the very moment that McDonalds first handed out the McToran as Happy Meal toys. Okoto has an incredibly limited toolbox to work with right now, and using it would require retraining every player of the game to adapt to such a limited information environment. 

And I also have to disagree that you know the problems the game has from having played it for a few months. I've been playing it for nearly six years, and more importantly, I help staff it. I know every bit of the inner workings that other people don't get to see. I know what we have planned out, and how we plan to get there. No disrespect intended, but an active player is more qualified to speak on the problems of the BZPRPG. And an active staff member, such as myself and Tyler above, are even more qualified than them.

We have not moved with Okoto because there is no reason to. Our player base like G1. They like the rich world the BZPRPG has crafted, unique from any other canon storyline, and they like the characters they have created. Hard reboots have never gone over well, even when they were necessary. To do one for a reason as trivial as "2015 Bionicle is new and different" would cause much discontentment among the players. And, contrary to what your thoughts about "such a complicated world" indicate, we've had a rather large influx of new players over the past few months.

And if I were to do a statistical breakdown of all the problems I encounter with new players, almost all of them would fall under the category of "not reading the rules". And most of them are happy to correct it once I note the error to them. In the six months since Okoto was revealed, I have never once encountered a player attempting to make something that was exclusive to G2, or even encountered an active player that asked if we would ever use Okoto.

I think that speaks volumes, personally.

• Upvote 10

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Search no longer!

Anywho, my staff and players have supplied just about all the reasons I could've given as to why the BZPRPG community shouldn't/won't switch our game over to a BIONICLE Gen 2 universe. Love you guys, thanks for doing all the heavy lifting. <3

So here's what I can contribute to the discussion: I, like Krayzikk, have encountered zero demand for Okotoan story elements, settings, characters, etc. from BZPRPG players (old and new alike). As such, my obligation as Game Master to even entertain the thought of rebooting our unique BZPRPG universe - a world of complex themes, specific lore, and colorful characters that's been years in the making - just for the sake of dipping toes into the exceptionally limited Gen 2 canon, is also zero.

I'd encourage people interested in making/playing an Okotoan game to work together and submit one as a minor game for the BIONICLE RPG forum.

• Upvote 9

test2.png

Hey guys. Trust me, I have read your replies and I see most of your arguments and appreciate those that have put theirs in a well thought out manner. If I was invested into a game and everyone thing got changed I would be pretty skeptical to. This isnt me trying to take away your fun, I've never been about that. My only argument is that a new generation is being introduced to Bionicle in a new way, and thus, hopefully joining this site and adding a bit of new blood to it. I do agree that now might not be the time to do it as we don't know much of the lore and at this point haven't had many solely G2 Bio fans join here. But in time, I can only assume that more will arrive and the lore of G2 will get richer and richer. At that point I think it would be foolish not to switch. Of course the ideal would be to have the two running side by side but have not the time or commitment to really run such a thing. Seriously I admire those of you that do. But one day we will have to move over to give the new kids room, otherwise we are just grumpy men and women who wont let the kids play with our toys. 

Who is we? You stopped playing.

Stop it. Seriously. We have four years of story planned out, and they've been (for the most part) sketched out in broad strokes since before the reboot was anything more than a bad JPG on a Tumblr tag. We are not going to sacrifice every one of those plot ideas, locales, and characters for your assumptions on G2, its new fans, and what you think should be done with a game you have infinitely little say in. The BZPRPG has always been a self-contained universe with little to no root in G1 or G2; just because its current iteration takes place on Mata Nui doesn't change that, and if anything our Mata Nui is looking less and less like the original canon. This has been explained already.

CeeCee, if you really really really want to continue this discussion, go to RPG Planning. I would also encourage you, however, that most members of the BZPRPG are pretty touchy at this point about improving on the game and character relationships we've spent four years building, as well as moving past the cultures of player nepotism and overpowered antics that caused the game to get rebooted in the first place. 

I'm not responding to this topic again. RPG gang, I'd encourage the rest of you to roll out too, but hey what do I really know I was hired for looks ( :

-Tyler

• Upvote 5

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

Hey guys. Trust me, I have read your replies and I see most of your arguments and appreciate those that have put theirs in a well thought out manner. If I was invested into a game and everyone thing got changed I would be pretty skeptical to. This isnt me trying to take away your fun, I've never been about that. My only argument is that a new generation is being introduced to Bionicle in a new way, and thus, hopefully joining this site and adding a bit of new blood to it. I do agree that now might not be the time to do it as we don't know much of the lore and at this point haven't had many solely G2 Bio fans join here. But in time, I can only assume that more will arrive and the lore of G2 will get richer and richer. At that point I think it would be foolish not to switch. Of course the ideal would be to have the two running side by side but have not the time or commitment to really run such a thing. Seriously I admire those of you that do. But one day we will have to move over to give the new kids room, otherwise we are just grumpy men and women who wont let the kids play with our toys. 

I agree. Maybe one day it will be time to switch. And, ideally, it will happen according to player demand, which does not exist right now.  

So it's less "grumpy men and women" and more "there is no demand, so why would we switch our product?" When the demand comes, then of course we'll have to adjust to meet that demand: the whole point of the BZPRPG is to give the players a good time. No one here is arguing that one day it might happen; they're just pointing out that there's nobody who would be happy for the switch at the present moment (except yourself, I suppose), so there's very little reason to change.

If we switched now, then the game would be adapting to a generation of fans that does not yet exist (and may not exist for several years), which is a poor market strategy by anyone's standards. :)

• Upvote 3

I agree. Maybe one day it will be time to switch. And, ideally, it will happen according to player demand, which does not exist right now.  

So it's less "grumpy men and women" and more "there is no demand, so why would we switch our product?" When the demand comes, then of course we'll have to adjust to meet that demand: the whole point of the BZPRPG is to give the players a good time. No one here is arguing that one day it might happen; they're just pointing out that there's nobody who would be happy for the switch at the present moment (except yourself, I suppose), so there's very little reason to change.

If we switched now, then the game would be adapting to a generation of fans that does not yet exist (and may not exist for several years), which is a poor market strategy by anyone's standards. :)

Yeah I agree that this thread has made me realize there isn't a big demand. That doesn't mean I think it wouldn't be popular if it got released though.

Yeah I agree that this thread has made me realize there isn't a big demand. That doesn't mean I think it wouldn't be popular if it got released though.

Scrapping the entirety of the existing BZPRPG based solely on your assumption that you think a G2 version of the game might be popular is not a valid reason for us to change over. 

Edited by Roman Torchwick

As several people have said, if anyone wants to make an RPG based on what we know about Okoto they can feel free. We even have a topic for doing stuff like that.

Aside from that it seems like the question of this topic has been answered pretty well. Not much reason to keep it going.

• Upvote 1

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

As several people have said, if anyone wants to make an RPG based on what we know about Okoto they can feel free. We even have a topic for doing stuff like that.

Aside from that it seems like the question of this topic has been answered pretty well. Not much reason to keep it going.

I would personally disagree. It is a discussion topic. I will admit the discussion up to this point hass been a little one sided up to this point, but hey. A lot of people seem to be taking this as a personal assault on their deity. Its a bit ridiculous. 

Scrapping the entirety of the existing BZPRPG based solely on your assumption that you think a G2 version of the game might be popular is not a valid reason for us to change over. 

I think many replies have been just as selfish.

I don't want to claim that I am nearly as invested in the RPG as any of you (heck, I've barely played), nor do I wish to undermine your ability to partake in a world which you have developed and shaped for years, alright? Let's get that out of the way first.

What I want to have is a logical, well-thought-out discussion about the complexity of the RPG, its effect on new players, and the lack of G2 presence. From a site that has long held accouterments of the past above those of the present, I am not surprised that the RPG has remained focused on the basic trappings of G1- however, it is my opinion that this focus on G1 elements, and especially the complex lore which has developed around them, runs counter-intuitive to the site's recent initiatives to accept new members and garner a larger member-base. Speaking as a member who has twice attempted to enter the RPG in its present state, the sheer foreknowledge required to actually function in the game is far beyond what is presented in recaps, and the difficulty which I experienced in getting others to interact with me highlighted the tendency to stick to cliques and groups that were already defined- as Tyler said, the "RPG gang" seems to be a real entity, and the degree to which one has to stick out ones neck to get interaction is very off-putting, especially for shyer members who would be happy to interact but are loathe to approach members and join "groups", such as myself.

I do not propose a reboot, not until one is called for anyway- but perhaps a splitting of the RPG into a G1 and G2 BZPRPG- a "Legends" and "Okoto" RPG, perhaps? Something that allows for a fresh start, and a familiar setting for when we inevitably receive younger players. Personally, I would also love a "Welcoming Committee" for the RPGS- someone who could introduce new players to the settings, show them around, and perhaps start them on a plot point?

Again, I'm not the most experienced player, so feel free to poke holes in all of my suggestions. 

But, to be entirely honest, I feel like you've been a bit rough on r34daka, and a bit too dismissive.

Edited by Haecceity Jam
  • Upvote 2

If you found this text, know that Kevin isn't real.

He's a fairy tale to scare children.

30491886943_59e45988bd.jpgKevin. Is. Not. Real.

There's a huge story that's barely been gotten into, lots of characters people like writing as and reading from, people are still joining it fairly regularly, there are the people who've been a part if it for years, and you're suggesting scrapping it all in favor of making something based on a story that is basically non-existent at the moment. And you're admitting that it doesn't seem like there's much demand for it and might not be for a while, and yet you're saying it's selfish to want to maintain what we have right now, or describing the reaction relatively hyperbolically.

Let me just say that yes, some replies haven't been particularly polite, mine included. I apologize if I seem insulting. But would you be willing to get behind it if, say, you were writing a story and somebody came in, looked at it for a few moments, and said "bro you should change this thing you've worked on for ages to be about this random thing instead"? That's basically what you're doing. It's looking like you don't particularly care for the hard work that all of us have put in to the game. I can't say for sure that that was your intent, or even how you actually feel or prioritize things - after all, I am not you - but that is what it looks like. And that's why we're responding as vehemently as we are. We care for what we've created here, and we don't want to see all this effort just be completely overturned all for something else that is barely established at all.

Now, I'd love an Okoto based RPG. It'd be great fun, in my mind, and it would make for a great RPG to add to the forum over there, so long as somebody ran it well, even with the lack of actual Okoto story we have right now. But at the same time, I love the BZPRPG. I love the story it has, I love the characters, and I love the people. I don't want that to just be tossed aside, the same as all the others who have responded. Suggesting we just get rid of everything we have now won't make any of us, players or game staff, happy. So please, think of that, as for why we're responding the way we are.

As for an Okoto RPG - if you want one, make one! Convince somebody else to make it if you don't have the time to make and run it and just want to play. It won't be The BZPRPG, but it doesn't have[i/] to be. We've got four other fairly popular RPGs in the forum, alongside the BZPRPG, to attest to that fact. Heck, if you want, I'd be welling to help make it and would definitely play it alongside the BZPRPG. But at the same time, I and many others want the BZPRPG to stay just as it is, because right now it's working fine - and really, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Edited by Grochi ad Infinitum

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now

I don't want to claim that I am nearly as invested in the RPG as any of you (heck, I've barely played), nor do I wish to undermine your ability to partake in a world which you have developed and shaped for years, alright? Let's get that out of the way first.

What I want to have is a logical, well-thought discussion about the complexity of the RPG, its effect on new players, and the lack of G2 presence. From a site that has long held accouterments of the past above those of the present, I am not surprised that the RPG has remained focused on the basic trappings of G1- however, it is my opinion that this focus on G1 elements, and especially the complex lore which has developed around them, runs counter-intuitive to the site's recent initiatives to accept new members and garner a larger member-base. Speaking as a member who has twice attempted to enter the RPG in its present state, the sheer foreknowledge required to actually function in the game is far beyond what is presented in recaps, and the difficulty which I experienced in getting others to interact with me highlighted the tendency to stick to cliques and groups that were already defined- as Tyler said, the "RPG gang" seems to be a real entity, and the degree to wich one has to stick out ones neck to get interaction is very off-putting, especially for shyer members who would be happy to interact but are loathe to approach members and join "groups", such as myself.

I do not propose a reboot, not until one is called for anyway- but perhaps a splitting of the RPG into a G1 and G2 BZPRPG- a "Legends" and "Okoto" RPG, perhaps? Something that allows for a fresh start, and a familiar setting for when we inevitably receive younger players. Personally, I would also love a "Welcoming Committee" for the RPGS- someone who could introduce new players to the settings, show them around, and perhaps start them on a plot point?
Again, I'm not the most experienced player, so feel free to poke holes in all of my suggestions. 
But, to be entirely honest, I feel like you've been a bit rough on r34daka, and a bit too dismissive.

Thanks for putting my argument a little better than I could seem to muster up. Maybe I was a little forward is saying the current RPG should be cancelled. You have to understand I know little of the inner workings of the BZRPG and I assumed that for one to arrive the other would have to leave. If the two could run side by side that would be awesome. Also some of you peeps have been a little harsh on me. I can't say it bothers me, but if you have a problem with me please dont  bring it into the thread. I dont so I would expect you to all do the same. Thanks.

There's a huge story that's barely been gotten into, lots of characters people like writing as and reading from, people are still joining it fairly regularly, there are the people who've been a part if it for years, and you're suggesting scrapping it all in favor of making something based on a story that is basically non-existent at the moment. And you're admitting that it doesn't seem like there's much demand for it and might not be for a while, and yet you're saying it's selfish to want to maintain what we have right now, or describing the reaction relatively hyperbolically.

Let me just say that yes, some replies haven't been particularly polite, mine included. I apologize if I seem insulting. But would you be willing to get behind it if, say, you were writing a story and somebody came in, looked at it for a few moments, and said "bro you should change this thing you've worked on for ages to be about this random thing instead"? That's basically what you're doing. It's looking like you don't particularly care for the hard work that all of us have put in to the game. I can't say for sure that that was your intent, or even how you actually feel or prioritize things - after all, I am not you - but that is what it looks like. And that's why we're responding as vehemently as we are. We care for what we've created here, and we don't want to see all this effort just be completely overturned all for something else that is barely established at all.

Now, I'd love an Okoto based RPG. It'd be great fun, in my mind, and it would make for a great RPG to add to the forum over there, so long as somebody ran it well, even with the lack of actual Okoto story we have right now. But at the same time, I love the BZPRPG. I love the story it has, I love the characters, and I love the people. I don't want that to just be tossed aside, the same as all the others who have responded. Suggesting we just get rid of everything we have now won't make any of us, players or game staff, happy. So please, think of that, as for why we're responding the way we are.

As for an Okoto RPG - if you want one, make one! Convince somebody else to make it if you don't have the time to make and run it and just want to play. It won't be The BZPRPG, but it doesn't have[i/] to be. We've got four other fairly popular RPGs in the forum, alongside the BZPRPG, to attest to that fact. Heck, if you want, I'd be welling to help make it and would definitely play it alongside the BZPRPG. But at the same time, I and many others want the BZPRPG to stay just as it is, because right now it's working fine - and really, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

There does seem to be a misconception that I want to see the end of the current RPG. I dont. Or st least I wouldnt want to see it go for no good reason. I think its very easy also, for people that have been with it for years to say how accessible it it. Yeah I wasnt there for long, but I left for the reasons I have mentioned above, not for no good reason. 

I really do appreciate and admire the thought and care ALL of you have put into making that world so vibrant and expansive. If there was a way to balance that out with a easier to enter atmosphere it would be a win win. 

There does seem to be a misconception that I want to see the end of the current RPG. I dont. Or st least I wouldnt want to see it go for no good reason. I think its very easy also, for people that have been with it for years to say how accessible it it. Yeah I wasnt there for long, but I left for the reasons I have mentioned above, not for no good reason. 

I really do appreciate and admire the thought and care ALL of you have put into making that world so vibrant and expansive. If there was a way to balance that out with a easier to enter atmosphere it would be a win win.

Respectfully, I can't agree with this entirely. I won't speak for the past, but now-a-days if you want to join the bzprpg there's nothing to stop anyone from jumping in. If you get confused or lost in the game people will help you if you need it and ask for it. We don't go out of our way to scare new people off, we want more people to join. It disturbs me when it's implied that we're some tight group that doesn't want anyone new showing up, that's just not true at all. 

We have a bzprpg starter topic for a reason, it's a game four years running and we know it can be easy to get lost in all the lore that has been created in that time. I'm not saying it's a perfect system, but I think it's better that it used to be and I know the staff is always trying to improve things further. 

As for G2, I'd love to play an rpg based on it, right now though there really isn't much of a story for it, at least not yet. 

• Upvote 1

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

As for G2, I'd love to play an rpg based on it, right now though there really isn't much of a story for it, at least not yet. 

Actually I was just chatting with a couple of friends about creating one and this came up, as you would expect. Personally for me it's somewhat of a good thing, because it does make it easier for people to integrate themselves into, IMO. Also how much of the real Gen 1 story does the BZRPG follow? Not a lot and for understandable reasons it made its own story. 

Actually I was just chatting with a couple of friends about creating one and this came up, as you would expect. Personally for me it's somewhat of a good thing, because it does make it easier for people to integrate themselves into, IMO. Also how much of the real Gen 1 story does the BZRPG follow? Not a lot and for understandable reasons it made its own story. 

We've got a discussion started in the Official RPG Planning Topic. How about throwing your opinions and ideas over there to see if we can't get something started? :)

What I want to have is a logical, well-thought-out discussion about the complexity of the RPG, its effect on new players, and the lack of G2 presence. From a site that has long held accouterments of the past above those of the present, I am not surprised that the RPG has remained focused on the basic trappings of G1- however, it is my opinion that this focus on G1 elements, and especially the complex lore which has developed around them, runs counter-intuitive to the site's recent initiatives to accept new members and garner a larger member-base. Speaking as a member who has twice attempted to enter the RPG in its present state, the sheer foreknowledge required to actually function in the game is far beyond what is presented in recaps, and the difficulty which I experienced in getting others to interact with me highlighted the tendency to stick to cliques and groups that were already defined- as Tyler said, the "RPG gang" seems to be a real entity, and the degree to wich one has to stick out ones neck to get interaction is very off-putting, especially for shyer members who would be happy to interact but are loathe to approach members and join "groups", such as myself.

Ditto,

I do not propose a reboot, not until one is called for anyway- but perhaps a splitting of the RPG into a G1 and G2 BZPRPG- a "Legends" and "Okoto" RPG, perhaps?

That seems like fair logic to me,

What I don't get is why we'd have to "switch" in the first place.

I mean, if at some point the reboot wraps up its story without reintroducing aspects that fans have already come to like about its predecessor, are we as players supposed to just abandon those details and pretend they never existed? If races such as the Skakdi and the Vortixx don't show up again, does that mean that eventually they will also disappear from usage in future games? Are the majority of people going to have to play as villagers now since we have to summon Toa from different planets, and if not, how many playable Toa will actually have powers since they currently only seem usable via masks?

Because that, in my opinion, would be incredibly lame.

Future ideas for the RPG Topic should consider G2 as additional room for inspiration, not as an outright replacement for G1 source material. If I were to jump into an RPG taking place in a zombie-infested version of Okoto, for example, I'd be pretty upset if I couldn't walk around as a grizzled Skakdi with a double-barreled Zamor Launcher and a prosthetic Chainsaw-Hand that looked like he just ripped himself out of Evil Dead/The Road Warrior. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be games heavily influenced by one or the other as well, but to be forced to have to ignore an entire generation's worth of content in order to attract newer members would not only possibly detract from the experiences of both the creator of the RPG and the people looking to play it, but it would also be slightly ironic for this to occur on a site devoted to bringing the fans of a nearly fifteen year-old line of building toys closer together as a community.

• Upvote 5

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

It seems to be under the general consensus that we should all wait until at least the end of the first year for a Okoto RPG to come out. Otherwise a lot of stuff is just guest work. And yeah, perhaps now I see my reboot idea seemed a little far fetched, but I still want an Okoto RPG at some point in the near future. Whether it runs a long side the current one(preferable) or not.

Ideally, someone could put in the work and effort to create the Bionicle G2 BZPRPG and have it run alongside the current BZPRPG that follows the G1 story and elements, more or less. But to scrap one for the other would ruin a lot of the investment many players have put into the game, into their characters, into their stories, profiles and plans they may have had to interact with the various constructs within that RPG.

To take all of the things members have created and to reduce it to 0 only to restart the TBRPG in a setting we still don't know much about, then a lot of players are simply robbed of the creativity, time and effort they invested to tell their character's stories in the first game and they're left with a setting that most can only really speculate about -- it's hard to create characters, stories, plots, and the like in a setting that's current underdeveloped and can change so much within a very short time frame, which the RPG would end up needing to find a way to adapt to or divorce itself from.

If you want to see it, then you can make it yourself and enter one of the contests (I think the RPG forum still does those?) and see how many other people are genuinely interested to play in a RPG set on Okoto in the first place.

• Upvote 4

I guess if one wanted we could offer up the option of bringing the Island of Okoto into the BZPRPG in that like Mata Nui and the other archipelago island, then why not a 3rd named Okoto? On it the natives are called Protectors instead of Matoran and Turaga, they have had their own mythology about Toa of the stars. Then we could open the area for interaction both with Gen1 discovering Okoto or in reverse the Okoto natives Discovering Mata Nui.

This way players could create their own Protector like character without directly disrupting already set fandom. ON the up side... NEW ISLAND to explore!!

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I actually asked about doing something similar to that when the reboot was first announced.

The general consensus was that it likely wasn't going to happen.

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

GM Résumé:

I guess if one wanted we could offer up the option of bringing the Island of Okoto into the BZPRPG in that like Mata Nui and the other archipelago island, then why not a 3rd named Okoto? On it the natives are called Protectors instead of Matoran and Turaga, they have had their own mythology about Toa of the stars. Then we could open the area for interaction both with Gen1 discovering Okoto or in reverse the Okoto natives Discovering Mata Nui.

This way players could create their own Protector like character without directly disrupting already set fandom. ON the up side... NEW ISLAND to explore!!

This would certainly be more manageable than rebooting the BZPRPG entirely, but it's still unlikely to happen. As my colleagues have said a couple of times already, we have the next few years of the game planned out, and that includes what new settings we're going to introduce. We currently have no plans to introduce Okoto or any Gen2-inspired content: I'm not saying we never will, but I have doubts about how compatible it would be with what we already have in the BZPRPG.

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png