What years' waves were the best?

Cwog

What years' waves were the best?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was looking through posts, and I figured that this is the kind of poll I would like to participate in, so have fun!

EDIT: So apparently I have no idea how to make the poll appear, so feel free to answer freeform. Could someone help me out, though? When I posted this topic, I edited the poll settings, but was I supposed to do anything else?

EDIT AGAIN: I got the poll working! Woot!

Edited by Cwog

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

Turaga/Tohunga, Toa Mata, Original Bohrok. 

I loved the originals, but honestly, I was too young to enjoy them when they came out. But I caught up on the story later, and 2008 was so awesome because the Toa Nuva were back. The Kohlii Teams got my vote because the builds were awesome, and I wish they made Onu-Koro's and Le-Koro's, too. As for the Piraka, they were so awesome! They took out the Toa Nuva easily, and were able to enslave practically the entire island.

I personally find the 2008 Nuva sets to be ok at best. Pohatu was awesome though.

Well, I got my first Phantoka, Lewa, on Christmas 2007, then I got Axalara Christmas 2008. Lewa used to totally be my favorite. Now he's a tie for Kopaka, because I feel that Gen2 Kopaka's personality is very similar to mine.

1. Voya Nui Matoran. I really liked how they were each unique from each other.

2. 02 Toa Nuva. I loved them when they were released.

3. This was a tough one, but I went with the Barracki. Like with the Voya Nui Matoran, I really liked their unique builds.

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Small sets, definitely the 01. Implemented the interesting functions and just looked really good. 

Good guys, I'd go for Toa Mahri. Might be biased, but they were really interesting and got me into Bionicle. 

Bad guys, the Piraka. Mostly because I think they just look really cool. I also liked their story line rolls. And an unpopular opinion, I think the Bohrok, Rahkshi and the Barraki were good sets, but I like the Piraka just a little more. 

• Upvote 1

For the small sets, the 03 Kohliitoran. I started liking Bionicle that year and most of the other small sets never intrigued me.

For the hero sets, the 04 Toa were my favorites because I love the way they look. It was a hard decision against the Glatorian who I thought were great and the Toa Nuva (03) whom I really liked.

For the villains it was the Glatorian haha

It was hardest to choose a wave of small sets, as they've always been my favorite. The Voyatoran would've been perfect if they'd had some recolored masks; the McToran have the most nostalgia value, but only one function and basically only two points of articulation; the Mahritoran had the most solid, impressive-looking build, but there weren't enough of them. I almost voted for the Rahaga for introducing Y-joints and Rahkshi heads in Metru colors, but at the last minute changed my mind in favor of the Kohlitoran -- despite their egregious omission of Le- and Onu-Matoran, I remember they were the line I was most excited for (although now that I thionk back, the 04 Matoran won me over just as thoroughly at the time)

Heroes were also tricky, because I've never really been too crazy about any of them. I had to go with the Inika, just because they were the only canister wave of which I collected more than half. So I must have liked them, right? I mean, the repeating Zamor launchers were pretty much the best projectile weapons we ever got, and it's easy to forget these days just how exciting it was to finally get figures with 13 points of fully unrestricted articulation. The masks were weird as heck, though, so that's a point against them.

Villains were easy. I have always loved the Vahki. I will always love the Vahki. I can't actually explain why. Hail Hapori Dume

Edited by Jacks
  • Upvote 1

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
-------------------------------------
Rate The Song Above You

It was hardest to choose a wave of small sets, as they've always been my favorite. The Voyatoran would've been perfect if they'd had some recolored masks; the McToran have the most nostalgia value, but only one function and basically only two points of articulation; the Mahritoran had the most solid, impressive-looking build, but there weren't enough of them. I almost voted for the Rahaga for introducing Y-joints and Rahkshi heads in Metru colors, but at the last minute changed my mind in favor of the Kohlitoran -- despite their egregious omission of Le- and Onu-Matoran, I remember they were the line I was most excited for (although now that I thionk back, the 04 Matoran won me over just as thoroughly at the time)

Heroes were also tricky, because I've never really been too crazy about any of them. I had to go with the Inika, just because they were the only canister wave of which I collected more than half. So I must have liked them, right? I mean, the repeating Zamor launchers were pretty much the best projectile weapons we ever got, and it's easy to forget these days just how exciting it was to finally get figures with 13 points of fully unrestricted articulation. The masks were weird as heck, though, so that's a point against them.

Villains were easy. I have always loved the Vahki. I will always love the Vahki. I can't actually explain why. Hail Hapori Dume

I voted Kohliitoran because I practically grew up on MNOGII, so having Hahli was fricken amazing.

Small sets - I'd have to go with the Rahaga. I had a surprising amount of fun with them, and really enjoyed firing their Rhotuka off into the distance (never to be seen again).

Heroes - Toa Metru. They were so exciting when they first came out! Toa with poseable limbs, new colours, a whole ton of new molds and a really cool, consistent techy look. The fact that nearly every part was new and designed for them gave them an appearance where, unlike most later sets, none of the styles of the parts clashed with each other. They were also sturdy, well built and quite fun to build.

Villains - Bohrok. No question. Krana flinging, shooty heads AND you could roll them up into a ball and store them in their canisters! Plus they looked awesome and had a slightly complex, but really fun, build. The amount of playability they packed into these sets was impressive, to say the least.

• Upvote 4

Banner 2.png

Click on them to build them yourself!

Rahaga, Hordika, & Barraki.

For small sets Rahaga where definitely my favourite & I feel they were the best. Honorary mention to the Mctoran, brilliant for McDonalds' toys!

I struggled with next to, but I really did like the Toa Hordika, much more than the Toa Metru, so I gave them my vote. As for the villains, I think there is a lot to be said for the (Original) Bohrok, Rahkshi, & Barraki; the last of them got my vote as they aren't as cloney as the others, but the Bohrok where brilliant & hey the Rahkshi had leg articulation!

But yeah, Metru, Mahri, & Inika, aren't high up on my list, nor are the 'Kal, Piraka or Visorak... the Makuta are a mixed bag IMO...

• Upvote 1

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

For Heroes, I picked the Toa Mahri mainly because of their diversity and Cordak Blasters. Unlike almost every single Toa wave before them, they utilized varying builds and designs, and is the reason why they're my favorite Toa wave to date. 

I also picked the Mahritoran and Hyrduka, another 2007 wave. The Mahritoran were the most complex Matoran that we had gotten, and the Hyrduka were a nice treat with their rahi-esque build. It was a shame that they didn't get a bigger story role than minor characters. 

And for villains, I picked the Vahki. I had never been that big of a fan on the villain waves, but I believe that the Vahki were my favorite. Despite their limited arm articulation, their appearance made up for that loss. They were outlandish and bizarre, something that was nice to see in Bionicle's first half. Plus the contradicting colors made them look even more surreal, and the face-mounted Kanoka launcher was a sweet incorporation to boot. 

• Upvote 3

bZpOwEr

For Heroes, I picked the Toa Mahri mainly because of their diversity and Cordak Blasters. Unlike almost every single Toa wave before them, they utilized varying builds and designs, and is the reason why they're my favorite Toa wave to date. 

I also picked the Mahritoran and Hyrduka, another 2007 wave. The Mahritoran were the most complex Matoran that we had gotten, and the Hyrduka were a nice treat with their rahi-esque build. It was a shame that they didn't get a bigger story role than minor characters. 

And for villains, I picked the Vahki. I had never been that big of a fan on the villain waves, but I believe that the Vahki were my favorite. Despite their limited arm articulation, their appearance made up for that loss. They were outlandish and bizarre, something that was nice to see in Bionicle's first half. Plus the contradicting colors made them look even more surreal, and the face-mounted Kanoka launcher was a sweet incorporation to boot. 

The Vahki were pretty awesome, but their clone builds are a bit of a turn-off. Actually, I never technically got any of the Vahki. I got one of those huge tubs, and the pieces for every vahki except the Zadakh, the brown one.

I loved the doomtoran from 2006. Lego really succeeded in showing us that not all matoran were like the metrutoran. I also voted for the Inika as the best wave of toa. While they weren't unique compared to each other, they revolutionized how toa were built. The villains were a tough one. For me, the Piraka and Barraki are tied for the best, but I voted Piraka simply because the option was listed before the Barraki.

I wanted to vote for any wave from the Mata Nui years, but I figured it wouldn't be fair to the rest of Bionicle's years.

• Upvote 1

Laughing_Man_Icon_by_CoyoteTracks.gif

Does anyone want to play the Master Chief Collection with me? I'm trying to get a team going for ranked. PM for GT.

I loved the doomtoran from 2006. Lego really succeeded in showing us that not all matoran were like the metrutoran. I also voted for the Inika as the best wave of toa. While they weren't unique compared to each other, they revolutionized how toa were built. The villains were a tough one. For me, the Piraka and Barraki are tied for the best, but I voted Piraka simply because the option was listed before the Barraki.

I wanted to vote for any wave from the Mata Nui years, but I figured it wouldn't be fair to the rest of Bionicle's years.

Yeah, I noticed that a lot of the votes are going towards 2001-2003. It seems to me that a lot of people are voting based on nostalgia, not really on if the sets were the best to them.

The Barraki always have been, and always will be, my favourite wave of villains. 

• Upvote 1

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

The Barraki always have been, and always will be, my favourite wave of villains. 

Especially after seeing their music video, they were always the creepiest to me. However, the Piraka were the probably the coolest concept: rogue Dark Hunters that hate each other, but will work together to find the Mask of Life (even though they had no idea what they would do once they got it).

• Upvote 1

It's hard to detatch from biases and look at this objectively.

For small sets, the Mahritoran are solid and strong looking, without looking too small or powerful. The Voyatoran are a close second, if o ly for their unique builds.

Heroes is a tough one. I went with Inika, just because they were so groundbreaking at the time. 13 points of articulation? Repeating launchers? Light up weapons? Separate builds and unique mish-mashes of color? So dope back in the day.

Villains is also kind of hard, because the villains are typically more aesthetically interesting. But...Bohrok. Bohrok. Yes.

• Upvote 3

Smal sets for me would *shocker* the Mahri sets. Now hear me out, the Hydruka were god awful, however the Matoran design they introduced that year was marvelous to me both in terms of size, complexity and appearance.

The big sets I went with the Mahri. Great poseability, interesting designs, freshest of the Inika-like waves. Plus they're my favorite team of Toa/Matoran so yeah, they're the guys that have been around since day 1.

Finally with villians, I went with the Makuta. Their designs were great and mostly unique, but not awkward, compared to the many other vilians we saw.

If we were to chose from Titans, I wpuld say Brutaka, Maxilos in close second.

• Upvote 1

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Def wish we could pick Titans too. I'd probably have to go with the OG Makuta. That's probably my overall favorite bionicle set. I always wished movie makuta reflected the set. The kraakhan is definitely my favorite mask and mObie makuta is kinda silly in the face.

• Upvote 1

:y::m_o::l::m_o:

There are a lot of great waves, but for me it came down to these three:

Small: I wanted to say the Voya Nui Resistance, as in essence the Stars were extremely disappointing. But they are solid as just "small sets" and nothing more - six (mostly) unique takes on the blocky Av-Toran design with great and accurate callbacks to previous sets. Piraka, Rahkshi, Takanuva and Tahu Mata - that's a star-studded line-up right there.

Heroes: Another toughie, but I would say the Toa Metru. These blew my mind away - a complete deviation from the Toa builds we were used to, but improving upon familiar concepts. More poseability, a new awesome base head, lots of new molds and it still retained the gear function. All of them looked great too, with awesome masks and Toa tools, as well as a cool way to store them on their backs. Just solid, I'd say they were definitely some of the best sets to come out of the original line. Oh yeah, great combiners too. Krahli and Kraawa are some of the best for sure. 

Villains: Barraki. The first line-up of canister sets that were actually pretty unique all around - we got some extremely original and creative body designs like Ehlek, Takadox, Mantax and my personal favourite, Pridak. That waist articulation was a pretty solid approach to previously unexplored territory. And despite their differences, they carried similar traits with their grotesque faces and mandibles. Just awesome.

-NotS

• Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

Was I really the only one who enjoyed the Visorak? Or is there a small group of people not voting, or trying to hide their love for the Visorak?

Eh only 40 people have voted, & there are 10 different options for villains; you're the only one who's made them you're favourite; it doesn't mean others don't like them, we just like other stuff more.

• Upvote 1

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Was I really the only one who enjoyed the Visorak? Or is there a small group of people not voting, or trying to hide their love for the Visorak?

Eh only 40 people have voted, & there are 10 different options for villains; you're the only one who's made them you're favourite; it doesn't mean others don't like them, we just like other stuff more.

As of my commenting, the amount of voters is 41, but the total viewcount is 412. That means about 10% voted. Why do people see a poll, look at it, then just decided not to vote?

2006 by far.

Yeah, I can look past the clone builds of the Piraka and see just how kicka$$ the characters were.

Don't forget the light up swords, unique masks, Zamora launchers, the pirakas two sided weapons, increased levels of articulation and the ever adaptable inika build.

Nice sig, btw.

2006 by far.

Yeah, I can look past the clone builds of the Piraka and see just how kicka$$ the characters were.

Don't forget the light up swords, unique masks, Zamora launchers, the pirakas two sided weapons, increased levels of articulation and the ever adaptable inika build.

Nice sig, btw.

I did not forget those awesome things, I just highlighted the Piraka's characters because, while all those things were there, they were there on all of them.

2006 by far.

Nice sig, btw.

I did not forget those awesome things, I just highlighted the Piraka's characters because, while all those things were there, they were there on all of them.

I didn't say you did.

And I was referring to the Inika, NOT the piraka.

Perhaps I should have said: 2006, wave 2?

2006 by far.

Nice sig, btw.

I didn't say you did.

And I was referring to the Inika, NOT the piraka.

Perhaps I should have said: 2006, wave 2?

Yeah.

Oh well. :)

Y'know, I didn't put it up there, but I personally think that 2015's sets are better than even what I voted for. I wanted to focus the poll on gen1, but personally? Gen2's sets currently trump all of gen1's. They're just the perfect mix of function and appearance. The Toa Metru were like that, but now, with CCBS, and friction on the gearboxes? The new Toa are like Toa Metru 2.0 (the 2.0 even fits, because HeroFactory introduced CCBS with the "2.0" line)

• Upvote 2