Name of New Toa Team

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Anyone else feel Toa Okoto is really clunky? (From an auditory perspective.)

It kinda blurs into "Toa Koto" unless you really enunciate it like a British schoolboy trying to impress an elocutionist.

• Upvote 2

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Anyone else feel Toa Okoto is really clunky? (From an auditory perspective.)

It kinda blurs into "Toa Koto" unless you really enunciate it like a British schoolboy trying to impress an elocutionist.

But couldn't the same thing be said of "Toa Inika"?

I don't find the term "Toa Okoto" at all clunky, but I'm not one for forcing old naming systems onto new groups or concepts when there's nothing official supporting it, especially when we're dealing with an actual reboot. Calling the new Toa "Toa Okoto" would be kind of like calling the new Masks of Power "Kanohi" just because that's what Masks of Power have always been called in the past. In other words, you can get away with it in casual discussion, but it'd be misleading on any reference site that aims to be authoritative.

This isn't the first time that people have been inclined to identify characters with a naming system that hasn't been used for them, though. I try to avoid referring to Toa Metru Vakama, Toa Mata Tahu, or Toa Inika Jaller as "Vakama Metru, "Tahu Mata", or "Jaller Inika", because the Toa Nuva are the only Toa team who stuck their team name after their individual names in either the sets OR the story. And while I can let that sort of thing slide in casual conversation, it drives me crazy to hear people refer to sets or characters with names like "Tahu Stars" or "Gali Masters", which don't even make sense! When you're dealing with an English word, why not use it the way an English descriptor would be used — before the name, not after?

• Upvote 5

This isn't the first time that people have been inclined to identify characters with a naming system that hasn't been used for them, though. I try to avoid referring to Toa Metru Vakama, Toa Mata Tahu, or Toa Inika Jaller as "Vakama Metru, "Tahu Mata", or "Jaller Inika", because the Toa Nuva are the only Toa team who stuck their team name after their individual names in either the sets OR the story. And while I can let that sort of thing slide in casual conversation, it drives me crazy to hear people refer to sets or characters with names like "Tahu Stars" or "Gali Masters", which don't even make sense! When you're dealing with an English word, why not use it the way an English descriptor would be used — before the name, not after?

I've headcanoned that Toa place their team names after their matoran name as an additional identifier. Like Norik would have had a different name before becoming Norik Hagah-Teridax. Norik Guardian of Teridax, essentially. It also underlines their unity as a member of a greater whole: their team. Lesovikk's full title would be Toa Lesovikk Cordak, a constant reminder of his failure.

• Upvote 2

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

G1 where I started off with the Mata. And I'm just calling them Toa, just like the days of old where there were no other "Toa" to compare them too. 

• Upvote 2

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

But couldn't the same thing be said of "Toa Inika"?

I guess so; for me that doesn't sound or feel clunky but then again I say <Toa Inika> as /ˈtoːˌʌ ˈɪnˌnɪk(ː)ʌ/ so whilst they both rhyme for me, <Toa Okoto> is /ˈtoːˌʌ ˈ(ˈ)o(ː)ːˌkoː.toː/ (for me), which doesn't rhyme but ...’rhythmically’ it sounds really odd, the most sonorant parts are all /oː/ except for /ʌ/ which stands out oddly as it's CVV VCVCV; which I sort of... "expect(?)" to be a Consonant... mainly though it just feels like too much of the same vowel.

Toa Inika has a 'double', Toa Okoto has four vowels the same, and another one feeling clunky which doesn't make a natural diphthong for me (which wouldn't actually help, then I would be "saying it wrong" - & I don't drop the first vowel in <Okoto> either), so it just stands out & ugh.

*(for anyone wondering why I put have the /ˈ(ˈ)o(ː)ː/ for the first <o> in <Okoto>; I don't say it that overlong, but the narrator really dos stretch it out and emphasise it, & my o their at least does have the most stress out of both words, but I don't drag it out. Maybe this is why  feel it's Clunky! XD)

I mean it shouldn't bother me much, & I'll go along with it if it's ever used in cannon... I strongly prefer "Toa (Generation 2)" over "Masters", but I feel Dorek posted some rather compelling reasons to go the other way.

[i am guilty of typing "Tahu Stars"  but I think I've been getting better with going the other way, but generally I try & avoid typing either.]

Until further notice I'm just going to say "Toa"; as Lyichir said, it should be clear from context - that is on me.

As for the purposes of a wiki... I voted "Toa (Generation 2)", but now I'm not so sure; either way I think it would be handy having one of the two exist to redirect to the other ...but that doesn't help determining which should be used.

• Upvote 1

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Yeah, Iblis, I agree. It's like in the French language, when some words are really rhythm-breaking, so they abbreviate. An example is the phrase meaning "it is," "ce est". However, if you pronounce that correctly, it makes a weird break, so it's abbreviated to "c'est." I suggest we stay with something that rolls off the tongue, like "Toa". That is, until another team of Toa is introduced, which may or may not happen.

Although, Johnrahk makes a good point in suggesting "Toa of Okoto." I like that, and will work well if a new island or team is introduced.

• Upvote 3

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

How about Toa Ripoff?

Considering that TLG is 'imitating' its own work (pretty much the only 'correct' application of ripoff in conjunction with G2, given they haven't done anything fraudulent nor have they swindled anyone); which is what people tend to expect from a reboot...

I'd say "Toa Two!" would be on about the same level for humour :P

• Upvote 2

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.