Is Gen 2 really meant for a younger age?

Onvermel

Greetings. I have had this thought in my mind for a while. is Generation 2 Bionicles really for a younger age group?

I once thought so but I am now believing that is not completely true. Now before you start thinking I'm sort of moron let me explain.

Here are the years of Bionicle and there age range

2001- Small 7+ Medium 7+ Large 8+

2002- Small 7+ Medium 7+ Large 8+ or 9+

2003- Small 7+ Medium 7+ Large 8+ or 9+

2004- Small 7+ Medium 7+ Large 8+

2005- Small 7+ Medium 7+ Large 8+

2006- Small 7-16 Medium 7-16 Large 8-16

2007- Small 7-16 Medium 7-16 Large 8-16

2008- Small 6-16 Medium 7-16 Large 9-19 or 10-16

2009- Small 6-16 Medium 7-16 Large 8-16 or 9-16 or 10-16

2012- Small 6-16

Now we reach our Generation 2

2015- Small 6-12 Medium 7-14 Large 8-14

So as we can see for the most part Bionicle has been for the range of 7-16 on average. In the first several years it was just for 7+ then it was given a cap to it's age at 16. With the reboot it's has been for on average 7-13. So with age range it's hasn't changes all that much just it's has not gone as high but hey look at the first two years they didn't have a cap on it. Small sets are the same age range as the last three years of Gen 1 for the most part as the last few years and medium sets are still the same. Even the large (not really that large) for Gen 2 is the same as Gen 1. 

With the new book being revealed it says the age range is for 7-10 years at a grade reader level 2-5. If I am correct this is the same as the last books we got from Gen 1. o again about the same.

Now looking at the actual sets for complexity. Gen 1 had for it's small set was around 14-40 pieces and Gen 2 has so far has around 65. Medium sets from Gen 1 were about 40-60 and Gen 2 is at 66-145. Finally large we won't go into as Gen 1 we do clearly see is much greater in piece count than Gen 2 however my point still stand. Looking at piece counts Gen 2 has more pieces and say they are more complex.

So what I have concluded is that it is not meant for a younger age but rather it just seems like that to most for the fact that we have gone older (those fans who have been around for most on Gen 1) we expect more of a challenge but we have gone older so things are less challenging. When I first got the original Pohatu form Gen 1 I needed help to build him but now I would never have any problem. The system to the new Bionicles are about the same. Put a few pieces to make limbs and a few more to make a body. In fact Gen 2 has more complex bodies than the Toa Inika build. 

Again I believe that Gen 2 is just as complex as Gen 1 and is not meant for a younger age.

-Onvermel- :pakari:

Edited by Onvermel
  • Upvote 12

"I believe in certainties. The strength of my limbs, the power of my mask, the sharp edges of my blades — that is what I build my plans around. Trickery, deception, complex strategies, they are for the weak! If you want power, and another has it, you get it not by outwitting him — you get it by stepping over his corpse." Makuta Icarax

"WHO ATE ALL THE PIES! WHO ATE ALL THE PIES!"

http://onvermelreport.blogspot.ca/ --- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaX7xUwGu9-8kVqQ4BqOxWw               

onvermel_report_logo_24.bmp

Definitely! But I think that what matters most to AFoLs is if we/they (I don't know if I'm old enough to call myself an AFoL) are still able to enjoy it. Personally, I think the story, as it is, is less complex than that of 2001's, but there's no reason why it can't still be enjoyed. Frankly, I think these sets are much better, playability-wise. They have gears again, and they can still pose. I love Gen2, and I hope everyone else has it in their hearts to, too.

• Upvote 2

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

Spot-on. And even in the places where Gen 2 DOES seem simpler or sillier than Gen 1, that doesn't mean it's aimed at a younger audience, just that it's using a different strategy to try and reach that audience. Some people respond better to different approaches, regardless of age.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 5

Not to be annoying or anything, but the age ranges for Bionicle 2015 so far are small sets 6-12, medium sets 7-14, and larger sets 8-14.

Ah thank you for pointing that out I shall fix that. However this only means that the age range max is a little lower however it just means that Gen 2 is more focused on a particular age range.

-Onvermel-

"I believe in certainties. The strength of my limbs, the power of my mask, the sharp edges of my blades — that is what I build my plans around. Trickery, deception, complex strategies, they are for the weak! If you want power, and another has it, you get it not by outwitting him — you get it by stepping over his corpse." Makuta Icarax

http://onvermelreport.blogspot.ca/ --- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaX7xUwGu9-8kVqQ4BqOxWw               

I believe from my observations that Bionicle Gen. 2 is meant for a younger age, because:

-The story isn't as complex as Gen. 1

-The style for the online animations isn't as detailed compared to the computer animations of Bionicle Gen. 1

-The age ranges go from ages 6-14, not 7-16 (Which is funny, because the later years of HERO FACTORY set age ranges were from 6-16)

-The story isn't as dark

-The online animations have WAY more humor than Bionicle Gen. 1 animations ever did

-There is not as much overall content compared to Gen. 1

-The BIONICLE: MASK OF CREATION gameplay is repetitive, and relies on clicking, or touching with your fingers, similar to many games younger children enjoy nowadays

Those are my thoughts.

They super simplified it for younger audiences, because apparently too many names would confuse kids. You gotta wonder how G1 fans survived.

The question is, do kids actually like this stuff? Because to my knowledge, kids like things that are cool, not corny. G1 had jokes and humor and it was in line with the story, and the overall seriousness of the theme. Kids, especially boys, like things that are cool. That's how stuff like Star Wars blew into like one of the biggest franchises in history. It wasn't dark, but it wasn't cheesy. The same with Bionicle G1.

Edited by bioniclepluslotr
  • Upvote 4

-The online animations have WAY more humor than Bionicle Gen. 1 animations ever did

Ahem.

-The BIONICLE: MASK OF CREATION gameplay is repetitive, and relies on clicking, or touching with your fingers, similar to many games younger children enjoy nowadays

You mean games like Angry Birds, or Candy Crush? Because I hate to tell you, but it's not just kids who enjoy games like this. The market for quick-&-easy casual mobile games like this is much larger than the market for more in-depth fare, and spans a wide range of ages.

They super simplified it for younger audiences, because apparently too many names would confuse kids. You gotta wonder how G1 fans survived.

In many cases, by ignoring the story entirely because following it was too much effort. Some of my close friends who collected BIONICLE sets basically didn't bother to keep track of the names or even genders of the characters. Since BIONICLE came back I've been keeping up with a lot of BIONICLE-related tweets on Twitter, and a lot of them basically consist of "I used to love those! I had the red one and the green one that could roll into a ball".

• Upvote 6

In many cases, by ignoring the story entirely because following it was too much effort. Some of my close friends who collected BIONICLE sets basically didn't bother to keep track of the names or even genders of the characters. Since BIONICLE came back I've been keeping up with a lot of BIONICLE-related tweets on Twitter, and a lot of them basically consist of "I used to love those! I had the red one and the green one that could roll into a ball".

I used to love them too, and I didn't follow the story. I can't pronounce a quarter of the names of the horde villains (Bohrok, Rahkshi, Vahki, etc), but I know all the names of the individual villains. Somehow I can't remember the names of the new Skull villains because they're all so similar though. I know there's Skull Grinder, Scorpio, Warrior, Slicer, and something else maybe but I wouldn't be able to put a face on each of them because they're so generic.

Ok are we comparing the whole of gen1 story to the limited version we are getting for gen2? Yeah Gen1 got a bit darker in the later years, however from a starting stand point I don't think at this stage Gen1 was any darker or less child-like humor then we are getting with Gen2. One thing to remember when comparing the two in content and story is that we have all or most of what we will ever get from Gen1. Gen2 however is like an Iceberg floating in the Ocean. You may only see so much right now, but there could be a whole mountain submerged under the surface you can't see.

Also there were some cheep laughs in Gen1 as well. The Pohatu Magnet posted above is just one example. A Ta-Matoran farting was another one I remember seeing posted from the MNOG. if anything Gen2 may be starting out darker. I mean we have flippin' Zombie villains come Summer. When was anything like that in Gen1?

• Upvote 3

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I believe from my observations that Bionicle Gen. 2 is meant for a younger age, because:

-The style for the online animations isn't as detailed compared to the computer animations of Bionicle Gen. 1

-The age ranges go from ages 6-14, not 7-16 (Which is funny, because the later years of HERO FACTORY set age ranges were from 6-16)

-The story isn't as dark

Those are my thoughts.

Okay fair enough however there are some flaws such as how is having less detailed animation mean it's for a younger audience? Just saying. The style of game play for BIONICLE MASK OF CREATION is only like that because that is what kids are into right now. It's what popular. As for content well that is true however it's only three months in back in Gen i three months had almost nothing MNOG only had I think the Beach part of it that was able to be played in. I may be right about story content not being as complex but we really have to wait before we can judge after all three month compared to ten years is not a really fair argument. Also being as dark well in the first year of Gen 1 it wasn't all that dark at least from what I could tell when I was around for it. It really didn't get dark until 2006 before it hard dark moments but still wasn't that dark. 

-Onvermel- :pakari:

• Upvote 1

Ok are we comparing the whole of gen1 story to the limited version we are getting for gen2? Yeah Gen1 got a bit darker in the later years, however from a starting stand point I don't think at this stage Gen1 was any darker or less child-like humor then we are getting with Gen2. One thing to remember when comparing the two in content and story is that we have all or most of what we will ever get from Gen1. Gen2 however is like an Iceberg floating in the Ocean. You may only see so much right now, but there could be a whole mountain submerged under the surface you can't see.

Also there were some cheep laughs in Gen1 as well. The Pohatu Magnet posted above is just one example. A Ta-Matoran farting was another one I remember seeing posted from the MNOG. if anything Gen2 may be starting out darker. I mean we have flippin' Zombie villains come Summer. When was anything like that in Gen1?

Zombies/Skeletons are rather cliche at this time. The G1 villains were mostly unique, like a clean up crew of robots gone wrong, a gang of rubber thugs, ocean warlords, bats and insectoid Makuta. Now we just have Skeletal guys that are based on human skeletons, which don't have a place in the Bionicle universe .-. I hope that the skull gang turns out to be like past heroes corrupted by darkness or something, but I doubt they'll have any character to them since they don't even get full names.

• Upvote 1

It hasn't had time to build up the complexity yet. The complexity of Gen1 took 10 years to build. Patience.

This is actually a good point. Remember that 16 year-olds are in high school, though, at the point where being "kiddy" isn't cool no more. Nor is carrying around action figures.

-The story isn't as dark

Really? Zombied Mask 2.0: Vakama's Worst Nightmare isn't dark enough for you? And I count maybe 3 jokes in the animations so far. There's probably at least three jokes in the entire MNOG, so I'm not sure where this position is coming from. 

But in all seriousness, humor and darkness are complimentary attributes in a story. The Bionicle books with the most jokes in them? 2008. And having humor doesn't mean it's for younger audiances - any episode of most sitcoms today uses raunchy humor unsuitable for kids. 

Again, content takes time to build. I wish that they had released the Okoto Online Game too, though. They could have done better.

Let me introduce you to the wonders of MNOG II. :P Let alone games like Piraka Attack or Inika Island Assault - keyboard slammers and point-and-clickers for Bionicle are nothing new.

You gotta wonder how G1 fans survived.

Yeah, it was pretty bad back in my day. It took three hours for our movies to load on dial-up, if you wanted a story, you actually had to go to the library and get a book that took like two hours to read. If we wanted to play a game, we had to call our actual real friends across the street (that is, if we had any) and try to agree on which game we you wanted to play when you wanted to play hide-and-seek and one of your friends wanted to do T-ball. Life was hard.

In comparison to all of that, memorizing a few names for your favorite toy franchise was nothing, man. At least Bionicle names were easier than Lord of the Rings. Who is Thornduf, anyway?

• Upvote 5

Zombies/Skeletons are rather cliche at this time. The G1 villains were mostly unique, like a clean up crew of robots gone wrong, a gang of rubber thugs, ocean warlords, bats and insectoid Makuta. Now we just have Skeletal guys that are based on human skeletons, which don't have a place in the Bionicle universe .-. I hope that the skull gang turns out to be like past heroes corrupted by darkness or something, but I doubt they'll have any character to them since they don't even get full names.

You see here's the thing: If the story team says those asthetics have a place in the BIONICLE universe, then they DO have a place in the BIONICLE universe. It's like with the whole stupid "these aren't Pokmon!1!1!1!1" thing that always rises up each new Pokemon generation. They are what their creators say they are, deal with it or don't. 

Now on to the whole skull villain business. We literally know nothing on whether they have character or not. Starting out with biased, preconceived notions isn't something I prefer to tolerate. You will wait until they are released in animation form, and then you may form an opinion and idea on how they are character wise and not until that moment. Not doing so will make you prey for your own pessimism, and it will blind and devour any objective view you could have had.

Edited by BlatantlyHeroic
  • Upvote 3

You see here's the thing: If the story team says those asthetics have a place in the BIONICLE universe, then they DO have a place in the BIONICLE universe. It's like with the whole stupid "these aren't Pokmon!1!1!1!1" thing that always rises up each new Pokemon generation. They are what their creators say they are, deal with it or don't. 

Now on to the whole skull villain business. We literally know nothing on whether they have character or not. Starting out with biased, preconceived notions isn't something I prefer to tolerate. You will wait until they are released in animation form, and then you may form an opinion and idea on how they are character wise and not until that moment. Not doing so will make you prey for your own pessimism, and it will blind and devour any objective view you could have had.

Well we know how much character and personality the unnamed protectors got.

So you're going to base an opinion for characters that will have a major importance to the story, off of characters who were only there as a plot device? Is that really such a good a idea? Think about this whole scenario, and I mean think deep. Ask yourself if your bias is all just fueled from preconceived notions of what BIONICLE should or might become. Is nostalgia clouding your judgement? If so, then you need to spend some time only thinking about the good view points of the new series (just like any media) in order to enjoy it to its fullest potential. 

• Upvote 1

The question is, do kids actually like this stuff? Because to my knowledge, kids like things that are cool, not corny. G1 had jokes and humor and it was in line with the story, and the overall seriousness of the theme. Kids, especially boys, like things that are cool. That's how stuff like Star Wars blew into like one of the biggest franchises in history. It wasn't dark, but it wasn't cheesy. The same with Bionicle G1.

My siblings love it. I realize that's anecdotal evidence, but from my experience, kids certainly seem to be loving it.

-The story isn't as dark

Thank god.

• Upvote 2

So you're going to base an opinion for characters that will have a major importance to the story, off of characters who were only there as a plot device? Is that really such a good a idea? Think about this whole scenario, and I mean think deep. Ask yourself if your bias is all just fueled from preconceived notions of what BIONICLE should or might become. Is nostalgia clouding your judgement? If so, then you need to spend some time only thinking about the good view points of the new series (just like any media) in order to enjoy it to its fullest potential. 

Also, about the Protectors? Firstly, we have a grand total of 13.5 minutes of content this wave, and probably another nine episodes this summer/fall. Secondly, most of that content isn't even about the protectors. The Toa are the focus, here. The protectors may be named later on, but does it really matter? It's not horrible to make up names for them, like how Forum Assistant Nuju Metru renamed the Protector of Earth "Barney." I'm cool with that. Especially makes it easier to play with my six year-old cousin, who occasionally has trouble remembering the names of the Toa. Simplicity is key, but it's always good to have some complex subtext. I'm optimistic for Bionicle moving forward. The line is supposed to last at least three years, and that's supposing that each wave gets 9 episodes, that's an 81 minute-long movie. Again, looking forward to what's to come.

• Upvote 2

If only the media for gen2 reflected this... sigh. Instead we have very childish, silly animations and dumbed down story(thus far), and simplistic app game. I sincerely hope that gen2 gets a console game, though even Ninjago with all its popularity only has 3ds games(sadly) so I expect a 3ds game at the very least but probably not until year 2 or 3 so it has plenty to work with.

• Upvote 1

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

If only the media for gen2 reflected this... sigh. Instead we have very childish, silly animations and dumbed down story(thus far), and simplistic app game. I sincerely hope that gen2 gets a console game, though even Ninjago with all its popularity only has 3ds games(sadly) so I expect a 3ds game at the very least but probably not until year 2 or 3 so it has plenty to work with.

Let's hope so. A console game would be awesome, even if it was only for 3DS and PSVita.

Eh...As much as I love Bionicle, the only thing that I didn't like from the G1 other than the Stars' was the console games. I'd rather Lego just stick with Free-to-start games, and maybe a DS game that gets a lucky 9/10 for G2.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Eh...As much as I love Bionicle, the only thing that I didn't like from the G1 other than the Stars' was the console games. I'd rather Lego just stick with Free-to-start games, and maybe a DS game that gets a lucky 9/10 for G2.

This. A whole lot of this. Licensed video games are rarely ever that good (particularly when there's a tight deadline, as Bionicle's biannual release schedule would inevitably require), and often the more ambitious they are, the farther they have to far. In an era where AAA development for home consoles is one of the most risky and expensive ventures a company can get involved in, I can't understand why so many people seem to think a Bionicle console game on the level of, say, Skyrim, is even remotely realistic. I'd rather see a smaller handheld game, or even better, an online game like the MNOG. Something that focuses less on breaking new ground for the franchise and more on providing a tight, focused experience for a wide number of fans.

• Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

We survived super fine, thanks.

I had some link on here to a fanfic I wrote about Bionicle posted on BzP about 8 years ago, sadly that hyperlink didn't work anymore.

Anyways, I've been on this site for more than 10 years.. who would've thought?

This new generation is definitely for a younger audience. It is very clear with the video episodes they release. I do hope they will get a little more serious later on. The episodes are very corny right now. Also, I feel that they need more voice actors instead of just narrators.

• Upvote 3

The biggest problem with comparing Gens 1 and 2 right now is that we still don't have much of Gen 2, just a couple short videos. Let's give it some time to establish itself, get the books out, and actually have a story. Then there can be fair judgement and comparisons.

• Upvote 2

The biggest problem with comparing Gens 1 and 2 right now is that we still don't have much of Gen 2, just a couple short videos. Let's give it some time to establish itself, get the books out, and actually have a story. Then there can be fair judgement and comparisons.

This is exactly what I was trying to point out in saying that we only have 13.5 minutes of content now, whereas we have 4 movies, lots of games, and animations galore, especially in earlier years.

I would wager that the TARGET audience is pretty much the same as it was before, in terms of both sets and story. If the story seems more "childish", that's probably just an indication that the new story does a better job of hitting that target (as opposed to appealing primarily to a periphery demographic).

• Upvote 2

Well, the Gen1 story actually became really, really complicated, making it hard for me (currently 15 y/o) to understand most of anything out of the mainstream media. My 6 y/o cousin is having a lot of fun with Gen2, so as Lyichir said, it seems to be doing a better job.

• Upvote 1

If the story seems more "childish", that's probably just an indication that the new story does a better job of hitting that target (as opposed to appealing primarily to a periphery demographic).

I don't see the connection.

The classic story often seemed almost schizophrenic as far as its target audience was concerned. The darker, more serious, and more complex story often attracted fans who had little interest in the sets (and thus made a negligible contribution to the theme's success), while at the same time alienating many the 6- to 14-year-old children who the sets were designed for (thus making the story, which was intended to attract fans like that, less effective than intended). The new story, for better or for worse, seems to have greater synergy with the sets—the story is easier for set fans of all ages to follow, while at the same time more accessible to new fans, making it more effective as advertising for the sets themselves.

• Upvote 4

Since when did younger children not like a serious plot with true dangers? People died in G1, and it actually meant something. I'd be surprised if any of the Toa even get mildly injured in G2. They're so silly that the corn-shield protects them.

I was seven when Matoro died. Seven. While it was a good plot, I was heartbroken. I didn't really want that. Also, how do you injure a (presumably) 10 ft. tall bio-mechanical elemental warrior?

• Upvote 4

Heck yes it is. If you met somebody who isn't a fan of Lego or anything of the sort, and you told said person you collect a children's toy-line, there's a 90% chance they'll make fun of you.

te0FrhT.jpg