Is Gen 2 really meant for a younger age?

Onvermel

Heck yes it is. If you met somebody who isn't a fan of Lego or anything of the sort, and you told said person you collect a children's toy-line, there's a 90% chance they'll make fun of you.

Well yeah, but that was just as true (actually, arguably even MORE true) with G1 BIONICLE. I'd almost say you can get more respect from the general public by admitting to being a LEGO fan than by admitting to being a BIONICLE fan, because at least people who aren't LEGO fans have a pretty solid understanding of what LEGO is (and are often aware of it as an art form), instead of just thinking of it as colorful toy robots wrapped in an overwrought storyline.

If you're that worried about being made fun of then you should steer clear of both generations of BIONICLE, because they are both children's toy lines, and you're not going to get any more respect from bullies just because the generation you prefer has years of convoluted lore supporting it. Being deeply invested in the story of a toy line that an average joe can't even understand will just make you more of a target for bullying. Look at any "nerd" stereotype on TV and you'll realize that for many people, taking the time to memorize countless stories and factoids about a fantasy universe is the kind of thing that, to the general public, makes geeks and nerds seem out of touch with reality.

I'm not saying that's justified, or that you should be afraid to admit to your interests. Rather, I'm saying the opposite — you shouldn't need to go to any great lengths to justify your interests to people. If a kids' toy has to apologize for being a kids' toy, then it's doing something wrong. And likewise you shouldn't need any kind of elaborate excuses to justify liking a kids' toy at any age. BIONICLE G1 made it easy for fans (including those within the target audience) to pretend it wasn't for kids, but really a kids' toy has no place encouraging that kind of thinking.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 3

While I agree it has, and always will be a "children's line" (I say this in quotations because people come to see this as a negative connotation?), I feel like the simplification of the story is in part a change to appeal MORE to the younger age demographic the line is supposed to be targeted at. This makes perfect sense. I think the age range push to 16 yrs for the older line was in part due to the fans growing up with each subsequent line, so we may even see that happen again in future years.

-NotS

• Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

Only a few kids at my school (which has about 1,500 students) are fans of lego, but you know? So what? I have friends, and I am confident in my interests. If anything, I think that it's easier for me to explain to someone, if I have to, that my little cousin is in to it. Because he is. I like that it's really accessible to younger kids, and I'm personally just glad that my cousin is the perfect age right now (6)

• Upvote 2

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

I have no problem with Bionicle being targeted towards younger children, and I certainly don't mind the Bionicle story being less complex. That said, I would like the story to have greater depth and characterization, and greater maturity- not necessarily in terms of content, but in the way it's written. Greg Farshtey was very devoted to his work, and overall a capable writer, but I can understand when people say the G1 story was simply edgy for the sake of being edgy (but Matoro's death is one of the things I wouldn't change).

I don't want the story to be too light-hearted either, but I'm okay with a few jokes here and there. I'll be hooked as long as the overall story is taken seriously, which HF failed to do.

On a side note, G2's premise seems incredibly underwhelming compared to that of G1's. In G1, the Toa are trying to reawaken a spirit-god-deity (Mata Nui) who is the protector of the world. Meanwhile,  Makuta is presented, at least initially, as a spirit of chaos/dark lord. In G2,  Ekimu is some guy who makes masks, and Makuta is, well, another guy who makes masks. Granted, they almost certainly both have special powers, but the stakes just seem so small in comparison to G1's.

I think what's happened is that the people who grew up on Generation 1 see Generation 2 as a bit more childish because of their perspective.

Those kids (myself included) are adults now, which means that even with the similarities, I still feel like G1 and G2 are shed in a different light.

but that's just my short 2 cents.

:h: :m_o:

• Upvote 1

800x300? I remember when it was 100x225. :H

I think what's happened is that the people who grew up on Generation 1 see Generation 2 as a bit more childish because of their perspective.

Those kids (myself included) are adults now, which means that even with the similarities, I still feel like G1 and G2 are shed in a different light.

I'm not an adult, and Gen 2 still seems too simple to me. It just lacks the intrigue that Gen 1 had.

Edited by graywolf89
  • Upvote 1

I'm not an adult, and Gen 2 still seems too simple to me. It just lacks the intrigue that Gen 1 had.

Certainly doesn't lack the intrigue to young kids, the target audience. Whenever a new episode or video comes out, my little cousin hangs on every word. He loves it!

• Upvote 2

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

• 1 month later...

This new generation is definitely for a younger audience. It is very clear with the video episodes they release. I do hope they will get a little more serious later on. The episodes are very corny right now. Also, I feel that they need more voice actors instead of just narrators.

Exactly!  That is what they were planning to do for the reboot.  That's what Mocmaker and I found out.

I believe from my observations that Bionicle Gen. 2 is meant for a younger age, because:

-The story isn't as complex as Gen. 1

-The style for the online animations isn't as detailed compared to the computer animations of Bionicle Gen. 1

-The age ranges go from ages 6-14, not 7-16 (Which is funny, because the later years of HERO FACTORY set age ranges were from 6-16)

-The story isn't as dark

-The online animations have WAY more humor than Bionicle Gen. 1 animations ever did

-There is not as much overall content compared to Gen. 1

-The BIONICLE: MASK OF CREATION gameplay is repetitive, and relies on clicking, or touching with your fingers, similar to many games younger children enjoy nowadays

Those are my thoughts.

"The story isn't as dark"

I wish it was...

A signature is supposed to be this:

Jaeger_Gipsy_Danger_Decal_02.png

and BTW https://screen.yahoo.com/star-trek-convention-000000768.html

Greetings. I have had this thought in my mind for a while. is Generation 2 Bionicles really for a younger age group?

I once thought so but I am now believing that is not completely true. Now before you start thinking I'm sort of moron let me explain.

Here are the years of Bionicle and there age range

2001- Small 7+ Medium 7+ Large 8+

2002- Small 7+ Medium 7+ Large 8+ or 9+

2003- Small 7+ Medium 7+ Large 8+ or 9+

2004- Small 7+ Medium 7+ Large 8+

2005- Small 7+ Medium 7+ Large 8+

2006- Small 7-16 Medium 7-16 Large 8-16

2007- Small 7-16 Medium 7-16 Large 8-16

2008- Small 6-16 Medium 7-16 Large 9-19 or 10-16

2009- Small 6-16 Medium 7-16 Large 8-16 or 9-16 or 10-16

2012- Small 6-16

Now we reach our Generation 2

2015- Small 6-12 Medium 7-14 Large 8-14

So as we can see for the most part Bionicle has been for the range of 7-16 on average. In the first several years it was just for 7+ then it was given a cap to it's age at 16. With the reboot it's has been for on average 7-13. So with age range it's hasn't changes all that much just it's has not gone as high but hey look at the first two years they didn't have a cap on it. Small sets are the same age range as the last three years of Gen 1 for the most part as the last few years and medium sets are still the same. Even the large (not really that large) for Gen 2 is the same as Gen 1. 

With the new book being revealed it says the age range is for 7-10 years at a grade reader level 2-5. If I am correct this is the same as the last books we got from Gen 1. o again about the same.

Now looking at the actual sets for complexity. Gen 1 had for it's small set was around 14-40 pieces and Gen 2 has so far has around 65. Medium sets from Gen 1 were about 40-60 and Gen 2 is at 66-145. Finally large we won't go into as Gen 1 we do clearly see is much greater in piece count than Gen 2 however my point still stand. Looking at piece counts Gen 2 has more pieces and say they are more complex.

So what I have concluded is that it is not meant for a younger age but rather it just seems like that to most for the fact that we have gone older (those fans who have been around for most on Gen 1) we expect more of a challenge but we have gone older so things are less challenging. When I first got the original Pohatu form Gen 1 I needed help to build him but now I would never have any problem. The system to the new Bionicles are about the same. Put a few pieces to make limbs and a few more to make a body. In fact Gen 2 has more complex bodies than the Toa Inika build. 

Again I believe that Gen 2 is just as complex as Gen 1 and is not meant for a younger age.

-Onvermel- :pakari:

Wow I don't even fit in the age range for Bionicle 2015! 

Piece count doesn't define complexity it only shows you there is more than one way to build a Bionicle, I think a more accurate way to measure complexity would be to look at the age range.

They have always been aiming at the exact same audience (which I am no longer apart of) but now it seems to me they are aiming at an even younger audience than before. 

Because they are having the villains as just spiders, no more matoran language (e.g. kanohi etc.), and the age range.

@bolded: True now look at the "boss" villains for Okoto and Voya Nui. (e.g. Kardas, LOSS, etc.) and compare them.

If you don't like people that use their head and stand up to bullies, then you may not like me because I deal with bullies head on!  

If only the media for gen2 reflected this... sigh. Instead we have very childish, silly animations and dumbed down story(thus far), and simplistic app game. I sincerely hope that gen2 gets a console game, though even Ninjago with all its popularity only has 3ds games(sadly) so I expect a 3ds game at the very least but probably not until year 2 or 3 so it has plenty to work with.

1: Yet those childish and silly animations didn't have fart jokes and Toa magnets in them, something the old Bio animations did.

2: Bionicle's old story took 10 years to build up.

3: Introducing every single old Bionicle game ever. Yeah no seriously I don't see the difference. Come to think of it, the only LEGO games that weren't so repetitive were Breakout, Dino Attack (debatable), and Robot Chronicles.

• Upvote 1

Definitely! But I think that what matters most to AFoLs is if we/they (I don't know if I'm old enough to call myself an AFoL) are still able to enjoy it. Personally, I think the story, as it is, is less complex than that of 2001's, but there's no reason why it can't still be enjoyed. Frankly, I think these sets are much better, playability-wise. They have gears again, and they can still pose. I love Gen2, and I hope everyone else has it in their hearts to, too.

@bolded: I see you are 15 me too!  We are TFOLs if I remember correctly(Teen Fans Of Lego).

• Upvote 2

If you don't like people that use their head and stand up to bullies, then you may not like me because I deal with bullies head on!  

If only the media for gen2 reflected this... sigh. Instead we have very childish, silly animations and dumbed down story(thus far), and simplistic app game. I sincerely hope that gen2 gets a console game, though even Ninjago with all its popularity only has 3ds games(sadly) so I expect a 3ds game at the very least but probably not until year 2 or 3 so it has plenty to work with.

1: Yet those childish and silly animations didn't have fart jokes and Toa magnets in them, something the old Bio animations did.

3: Introducing every single old Bionicle game ever. Yeah no seriously I don't see the difference. Come to think of it, the only LEGO games that weren't so repetitive were Breakout, Dino Attack (debatable), and Robot Chronicles.

"1: Yet those childish and silly animations didn't have fart jokes and Toa magnets in them, something the old Bio animations did."

Even if they had fart jokes and toa magnets in the "webisodes", they would still not be funny.  For me if not for you guys if some of you like them.

1: Fart jokes and Toa magnets? I don't remember this. (And what's wrong with a Toa magnet - whatever you mean by that?)

2: Depends what you mean by "build up" - it took about 9 years to finish. Each year had a build up and climax for their particular arc, e.g. the quest for the masks and confrontation with Makuta at the end of 2001, or the return to Metru Nui and defeat of the Visorak horde in 2005.

3: MNOG 1 and 2 were fairly detailed and were excellent world builders, although they were admittedly very tedious. VNOG had a moderately in-depth turn based RPG system that enabled a load of customisation, with plenty of different enemies to fight and tactics to use. The console games released for BIONICLE were sub-par to mediocre at best, but could be fun sometimes (my references are the Mask of Light game and the BIONICLE: Heroes game, the latter of which was pretty fun in small bursts)

My main issue with the new generation is the way they market the story. What hooked me into BIONICLE was how "cool" (for lack of a better term) and mysterious it was presented. Remember all those awesome advertisements showcasing a dark and mysterious evil that the Toa had to overcome? Or the comics, which propelled the story forward into the rich alien world they built for themselves? 

This generation, they focus on making the animations fun and silly, especially with the corny-as-heck voices. Additionally, the way they present the conflict in the story is fairly downplayed, and the threat to the island doesn't seem so dire when the Toa could easily defeat the LoSS after one failed attempt and one conversation. There is no tension. There is no danger. 

Regardless, I'm thoroughly enjoying the new sets, which are wonderfully designed, and the story is not without its merits - particularly Pohatu's new pragmatic and no-nonsense persona. It's really growing on me, and I can't help but watch episodes 8 and 9 over and over again just to see Pohatu interact with the rest. 

• Upvote 1

"Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, 'No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back,' it never WOULD have come back."

-Greg Farshtey

Greetings. I have had this thought in my mind for a while. is Generation 2 Bionicles really for a younger age group?

I once thought so but I am now believing that is not completely true. Now before you start thinking I'm sort of moron let me explain.

2012- Small 6-16

So as we can see for the most part Bionicle has been for the range of 7-16 on average. In the first several years it was just for 7+ then it was given a cap to it's age at 16. With the reboot it's has been for on average 7-13. So with age range it's hasn't changes all that much just it's has not gone as high but hey look at the first two years they didn't have a cap on it. Small sets are the same age range as the last three years of Gen 1 for the most part as the last few years and medium sets are still the same. Even the large (not really that large) for Gen 2 is the same as Gen 1. 

With the new book being revealed it says the age range is for 7-10 years at a grade reader level 2-5. If I am correct this is the same as the last books we got from Gen 1. o again about the same.

Now looking at the actual sets for complexity. Gen 1 had for it's small set was around 14-40 pieces and Gen 2 has so far has around 65. Medium sets from Gen 1 were about 40-60 and Gen 2 is at 66-145. Finally large we won't go into as Gen 1 we do clearly see is much greater in piece count than Gen 2 however my point still stand. Looking at piece counts Gen 2 has more pieces and say they are more complex.

So what I have concluded is that it is not meant for a younger age but rather it just seems like that to most for the fact that we have gone older (those fans who have been around for most on Gen 1) we expect more of a challenge but we have gone older so things are less challenging. When I first got the original Pohatu form Gen 1 I needed help to build him but now I would never have any problem. The system to the new Bionicles are about the same. Put a few pieces to make limbs and a few more to make a body. In fact Gen 2 has more complex bodies than the Toa Inika build. 

Again I believe that Gen 2 is just as complex as Gen 1 and is not meant for a younger age.

You know, it's not that hard to build a simple Toa set. Also, what is this whole "Bionicle" cannot possibly be for little kids argument that has been brought up time and time again? Kids are not stupid. Lego, whether you want to admit it or not, is aimed at kids, not 50+ BZPower members. I mean, seriously, what person over 12 who is not a member of BZPower even knows about Bionicle, excepting if their kids are fans, and they have to go buy it for them? The adult Lego fanbase is not in any way the standard. Really, who do you know that isn't related to you, that knows about Bionicle that isn't a member of BZPower? 

Manchildren were never, and will never be the only thing keeping both Bionicle and Lego afloat. If that were the case, than Duplo would be the only Lego franchise, right? This page pretty much sums it up. It's a little adult, but honestly, what kid goes onto this site? More than you would think.  Do not link to highly inappropriate sites.  -GSR

I built the Rahi at an early age with ease. So did everyone that I knew. Children are what founded the Bionicle fanbase. Did any of you get into Bionicle as an adult? No!

So why then should kids be considered 'outcasts' and 'unfit' for playing with Bionicles now that it is back, simply because you have grown up?

Bionicle is not yours simply because you were a fan of the original. Bionicle for me, was in my childhood, and, to be honest, the only reason that I still even go on BZPower is for LOMN. To be blunt, the G1 fandom is clinging to a dead series, and they are imposing what they have now accepted as the standard on G2. 

Edited by GSR

Just to be clear: it's one thing to express the (frankly, pretty correct) belief that BZP is not the main market for Bionicle Gen2.  It's another to insult the entire userbase in the process.  Keep the conversation civil.

Edited by GSR
  • Upvote 6

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

2012- Small 6-16

You know, it's not that hard to build a simple Toa set. Also, what is this whole "Bionicle" cannot possibly be for little kids argument that has been brought up time and time again? Kids are not stupid. Lego, whether you want to admit it or not, is aimed at kids, not 50+ BZPower members. I mean, seriously, what person over 12 who is not a member of BZPower even knows about Bionicle, excepting if their kids are fans, and they have to go buy it for them? The adult Lego fanbase is not in any way the standard. Really, who do you know that isn't related to you, that knows about Bionicle that isn't a member of BZPower? 

Manchildren were never, and will never be the only thing keeping both Bionicle and Lego afloat. If that were the case, than Duplo would be the only Lego franchise, right? This page pretty much sums it up. It's a little adult, but honestly, what kid goes onto this site? More than you would think.  Do not link to highly inappropriate sites.  -GSR

I built the Rahi at an early age with ease. So did everyone that I knew. Children are what founded the Bionicle fanbase. Did any of you get into Bionicle as an adult? No!

So why then should kids be considered 'outcasts' and 'unfit' for playing with Bionicles now that it is back, simply because you have grown up?

Bionicle is not yours simply because you were a fan of the original. Bionicle for me, was in my childhood, and, to be honest, the only reason that I still even go on BZPower is for LOMN. To be blunt, the G1 fandom is clinging to a dead series, and they are imposing what they have now accepted as the standard on G2. 

We are not considering kids unfit to play with Bionicle characters; we are just trying to determine if they are aiming at a younger audience this time around.

The series is not dead; the only thing dead about it is its website and the production of its products.  

@ green: Then why are you on this topic?

• Upvote 1

To me, Bionicle hasn't really been a 'toy'. I treated them more like statue action figures that I put on a shelf because they look cool. Just like my Lady Death figures I keep on my wall.

But back to the OT, yes. Definitely. Since the Lego Movie sparked a huge surge of interest in the toy line, kids are more experienced with building 'complex' play-things. 

• Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

2012- Small 6-16

We are not considering kids unfit to play with Bionicle characters; we are just trying to determine if they are aiming at a younger audience this time around.

The series is not dead; the only thing dead about it is its website and the production of its products.  

Because it caught my eye. I didn't mean that I limit myself exclusively to LOMN posts.

So, I'm obviously late to this topic, but reading it through real quick, I couldn't help but notice that seemingly almost nobody is talking about the big difference between the two times -- attention spans have gone down. It seems like the assumption is being made that simpler story = younger target audience, by most people. I think it's pretty clear they're aiming more at smartphone-vid culture, which numerous studies and reports have agreed does have a shorter attention span.

So I don't think it's really about age, although that's probably a major factor, but about targeting today's society, not yesterday's society. :)

• Upvote 4

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

"They super simplified it for younger audiences, because apparently too many names would confuse kids. You gotta wonder how G1 fans survived."

In many cases, by ignoring the story entirely because following it was too much effort. Some of my close friends who collected BIONICLE sets basically didn't bother to keep track of the names or even genders of the characters. Since BIONICLE came back I've been keeping up with a lot of BIONICLE-related tweets on Twitter, and a lot of them basically consist of "I used to love those! I had the red one and the green one that could roll into a ball".

This is super accurate! I literally stopped following the story during 2007 and then stopped buying the sets by summer 2008. The story was too much with too little focus. Sure it lasted a decade, but there was no focus on what was going to happen. THIS TIME they have a 3 year story planned out and they'll likely reveal more as the story continues. As much as we criticize them for being simple, they KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING!! I think they're starting off simple to get us to keep asking questions so there's more to reveal as the story unfolds. (Ik, my opinion is lame, Ik)

"So, I'm obviously late to this topic, but reading it through real quick, I couldn't help but notice that seemingly almost nobody is talking about the big difference between the two times -- attention spans have gone down. It seems like the assumption is being made that simpler story = younger target audience, by most people. I think it's pretty clear they're aiming more at smartphone-vid culture, which numerous studies and reports have agreed does have a shorter attention span.

So I don't think it's really about age, although that's probably a major factor, but about targeting today's society, not yesterday's society.  :)"

At first glance your argument makes sense, but I think that even with all these studies, it's just a self-fulfilling prophecy. I don't believe that we have shorter attention spans, I think we're just becoming lazier and lazier for a great many reasons that you can PM me about because it's kind of a conspiracy theory.

I'm not saying your argument is invalid, it's very valid; TOO valid

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

I don't know what you mean, Evergrey. I wouldn't put it down to laziness, though -- life is just different. In Gen 1 days we didn't HAVE smartphones to influence our attention spans. We had books, we had to schedule our lives around primetime TV instead of watching it whenever we wanted (still do for some shows but yeah), etc. And although the net was a thing, the instant and highly effective google searches we now take for granted weren't really there, and many connections were slow. I could go on, but there's no real conspiracy. Just different times, and the same old human nature reacting to those differences in understandable ways. :)

• Upvote 3

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

So, I'm obviously late to this topic, but reading it through real quick, I couldn't help but notice that seemingly almost nobody is talking about the big difference between the two times -- attention spans have gone down. It seems like the assumption is being made that simpler story = younger target audience, by most people. I think it's pretty clear they're aiming more at smartphone-vid culture, which numerous studies and reports have agreed does have a shorter attention span.

So I don't think it's really about age, although that's probably a major factor, but about targeting today's society, not yesterday's society. :)

But short animations or videos for Bionicle are nothing really new. :P 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008 and 2010 all had them. It has little to do with attention-span reduction - they were always low in the first place. 

The difference is the lack of more detailed story media for the more invested, as of yet. And the delay in the books' release, leaks, etc gave off the impression that there would be nothing for the longer-attention-spanned-more-invested-fans. 

Short videos are designed to catch people's attention, not convey a longer story. Marvel still makes two-hour movies that require a longer attention span to digest, and people still go to them. But they still release two-minute trailers for their two-hour movies to catch people's attention. That's what short videos do - a low-investment way to "try out" something to see if it appeals before you sit down and pay $6 and 2 hours of your limited lifespan. 

The problem is that we've seen 9 "trailers" for a two-hour movie, and the two-hour movie hasn't come out yet. Nothing to do with times or age ranges. 

• Upvote 2

I can see bonesiii's argument. The evidence is there, but I don't think that's the reason. fishers64 is poking at something related to what I was saying: They're testing out the waters to arouse peoples' interest. Both arguments are good and have the evidence, though

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

People make a big deal out of "attention spans are dropping!" It's not like people have stopped going to movies or reading books - they just have more technologically advanced ways of doing it. It's not like everyone is demanding that Marvel chop up their two-hour movies into 7-minute segments and post them on YouTube. That's nuts. 

Now you can argue that they are texting in the middle of the film instead of paying attention to it, but that will get them kicked out of the theater in most places I have visited to watch films. And you can argue that "read-it-and-put-it-down-to-do-something-else" syndrome exists. But it's not so prevalent that the media producers have decided to cater to that sort of thinking. It's a farce. 

• Upvote 2

People make a big deal out of "attention spans are dropping!" It's not like people have stopped going to movies or reading books - they just have more technologically advanced ways of doing it. It's not like everyone is demanding that Marvel chop up their two-hour movies into 7-minute segments and post them on YouTube. That's nuts. 

Now you can argue that they are texting in the middle of the film instead of paying attention to it, but that will get them kicked out of the theater in most places I have visited to watch films. And you can argue that "read-it-and-put-it-down-to-do-something-else" syndrome exists. But it's not so prevalent that the media producers have decided to cater to that sort of thinking. It's a farce. 

I know right!  I'd hate it if Marvel would do that.  

Only one of my friends has "read-it-and-put-it-down-to-do-something-else" syndrome; he can't go without doing something else for 10 minutes it seems.  I just don't how he can sit down and catch all the little details in a movie though.  Because when I am watching with him; he wants to play a game with me or do something else after 20 minutes of the movie.

I agree they may be "floating trial balloons" as it were (just as 2001 did). Part of the reason for that is tied up into what I'm talking about; you have to keep in mind that there is more content out there -- and that's why I don't see laziness here. Just more to do, and the same amount of time people always had.

That means if you want people to watch your stuff, you have to (at least at first) demand less time from them, because they'll already be trying to keep up with a lot more than typical kids during G1's era. In G1, content was mainly produced (though it was already changing at the time) by a small amount of people with a lot of resources like LEGO. Now they're competing with YT and other things, so it makes sense to cater to a style more in line with that. :)

And it's also worth keeping in mind that as the premier toy company in the world (depending on who you ask, but definitely near the top), LEGO almost certainly has people paying attention to these societal changes -- professional marketers, etc. Regardless of the causes and whether that different setting is good or bad, they do have to take it into account.

interesting, i had always assumed this was just a dumb theory that had been refuted time and time again by real science and audiences who don't like being treated like hamsters on wheels but since you're saying it it must be true

which studies and reports, exactly?

-Tyler

Edited by Aikuro Mikisugi
  • Upvote 4

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

2012- Small 6-16

Because it caught my eye. I didn't mean that I limit myself exclusively to LOMN posts.

Okay then, I just misunderstood. 

• Upvote 1

It's worth noting that the idea of kids having short attention spans was a big factor in many of Lego's design mistakes in the late '90s/early '00s. Then, the perceived cause was the rise of video games, which Lego thought meant that kids wanted instant gratification. So they started simplifying sets in themes like Town and Technic. It turned out that perception couldn't be more wrong—a major reason for kids' interest in video games was a sense of progression and accomplishment, something that called for more complex sets, not simpler ones.

I doubt short attention spans are a factor in the new Bionicle's design, either. Like I've said before, the overarching design theme seems not to be simplicity, but rather accessibility. The new animations are short and simple, but that has less to do with kids not being able to follow a complex story like Bionicle from the beginning, and more to do with making it easier for kids to "jump on" and catch up on the story at any point, regardless of their reading level or gaming skill. The target audience is the same as ever, but unlike the classic story, which accidentally shut out a large portion of that audience, the new story is designed to better capitalize on the entire demographic in question.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Piece count doesn't define complexity it only shows you there is more than one way to build a Bionicle, I think a more accurate way to measure complexity would be to look at the age range.

The problem with this is that recommended age range is, to an extent, subjective. LEGO is always learning about what kids are capable of or interested in, so a set they recommended for ages 7+ back in 2004 or 6–16 back in 2008 would not necessarily be recommended to that same age range if it were released today. Even if you ignore the differences in piece count, it's obvious in an instant that the Protector sets are far more complex and challenging builds than the 2004 or 2008 Matoran sets. They have elaborate Technic-based weapons rather than single-piece weapons, and diverse, multi-layered figure builds instead of near-identical builds that simply consist of snapping joints together.

Yet the Protectors' minimum recommended age range is lower than that of the 2004 Matoran and the maximum recommended age range is lower than that of the 2008 Matoran. Why? Because back in 2004, the LEGO Group didn't think six-year-olds would be likely to enjoy a Technic-based build regardless of its size, but now they know six-year-olds are more capable than they gave them credit for back then. Likewise, back in 2008, the LEGO Group thought that even an utterly simplistic Technic build would be enjoyable to thirteen to sixteen year olds, but now the LEGO Group knows better and thus tries to steer teenagers towards larger and more complex sets that they will get more enjoyment out of.

It's worth noting that the idea of kids having short attention spans was a big factor in many of Lego's design mistakes in the late '90s/early '00s. Then, the perceived cause was the rise of video games, which Lego thought meant that kids wanted instant gratification. So they started simplifying sets in themes like Town and Technic. It turned out that perception couldn't be more wrong—a major reason for kids' interest in video games was a sense of progression and accomplishment, something that called for more complex sets, not simpler ones.

I doubt short attention spans are a factor in the new Bionicle's design, either. Like I've said before, the overarching design theme seems not to be simplicity, but rather accessibility. The new animations are short and simple, but that has less to do with kids not being able to follow a complex story like Bionicle from the beginning, and more to do with making it easier for kids to "jump on" and catch up on the story at any point, regardless of their reading level or gaming skill. The target audience is the same as ever, but unlike the classic story, which accidentally shut out a large portion of that audience, the new story is designed to better capitalize on the entire demographic in question.

Yes. At NYCC the short length of the animations was mentioned, but the justification had less to do with kids having short attention spans and more to do with making the animations easily shareable via social networks like Facebook or Twitter. After all, even people who have the patience to sit down and read an entire book or watch an entire movie are not necessarily going to stop and watch a fifteen to thirty minute video while they're in the middle of checking their news feed on either of these sites. They have more important things to be doing, like keeping up with the stuff going on in their actual friends' lives.

• Upvote 4

The problem with this is that recommended age range is, to an extent, subjective. LEGO is always learning about what kids are capable of or interested in, so a set they recommended for ages 7+ back in 2004 or 6–16 back in 2008 would not necessarily be recommended to that same age range if it were released today. Even if you ignore the differences in piece count, it's obvious in an instant that the Protector sets are far more complex and challenging builds than the 2004 or 2008 Matoran sets. They have elaborate Technic-based weapons rather than single-piece weapons, and diverse, multi-layered figure builds instead of near-identical builds that simply consist of snapping joints together.

Yet the Protectors' minimum recommended age range is lower than that of the 2004 Matoran and the maximum recommended age range is lower than that of the 2008 Matoran. Why? Because back in 2004, the LEGO Group didn't think six-year-olds would be likely to enjoy a Technic-based build regardless of its size, but now they know six-year-olds are more capable than they gave them credit for back then. Likewise, back in 2008, the LEGO Group thought that even an utterly simplistic Technic build would be enjoyable to thirteen to sixteen year olds, but now the LEGO Group knows better and thus tries to steer teenagers towards larger and more complex sets that they will get more enjoyment out of.

"Elaborate" technic based weapons, 2008 TLG thought simplistic technic builds would be more enjoyable, seriously?  You guys are conducting scientific experiments to find out gravity hurts when all you have to do is fall.  It is plain to see that Gen 2 is geared toward a younger age. 

Well who cares you guys just won't listen to me or look at the obvious so: :giveup: Talk to you on another topic! ^_^

• Upvote 1

"Elaborate" technic based weapons, 2008 TLG thought simplistic technic builds would be more enjoyable, seriously?  You guys are conducting scientific experiments to find out gravity hurts when all you have to do is fall.  It is plain to see that Gen 2 is geared toward a younger age. 

Well who cares you guys just won't listen to me or look at the obvious so: :giveup: Talk to you on another topic! ^_^

What? How is it "obvious" that the new Bionicle is aimed at a younger age when literally everything about the sets suggests the opposite?

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

What? How is it "obvious" that the new Bionicle is aimed at a younger age when literally everything about the sets suggests the opposite?

A friend of mine told me how Kopaka went down a slide of ice in one of the episodes and said "whee".  Let's see the age range, simplified terms so they are easier to pronounce (Master of fire, spiders), the story (it has been nearly 5 months already), skull theme (why skulls?), the characters are bigger this time as well because younger kids like that, the animations, and the simplified system for attaching masks.

It really seems to me this time around they are aimed at a younger audience. (←As I said this is my opinion) And attention spans are going down you might say then how are movies like The Hobbit and Avengers making money? 

• Upvote 1

the characters are bigger this time as well because younger kids like that

This is literally the stupidest "evidence" I've ever seen that Bionicle G2 is somehow aimed at a younger audience (while actually being aimed at the same exact audience as before).

That isn't evidence it is my opinion. (←Why does it seem as if everyone doesn't notice the word opinion?  Maybe I should type it twice so everyone notices it.)

While I agree it has, and always will be a "children's line" (I say this in quotations because people come to see this as a negative connotation?), I feel like the simplification of the story is in part a change to appeal MORE to the younger age demographic the line is supposed to be targeted at. This makes perfect sense. I think the age range push to 16 yrs for the older line was in part due to the fans growing up with each subsequent line, so we may even see that happen again in future years.

-NotS

Exactly.

• Upvote 1

This is literally the stupidest "evidence" I've ever seen that Bionicle G2 is somehow aimed at a younger audience (while actually being aimed at the same exact audience as before).

That isn't evidence it is my opinion. (←Why does it seem as if everyone doesn't notice the word opinion?  Maybe I should type it twice so everyone notices it.)

Because you're misusing the word opinion. Saying "the characters are bigger because younger kids like that" isn't an opinion, it's a statement. It's stating something you believe to be true. Whether or not its true is a different matter, but since it is something falsifiable, it's not an opinion, it's an attempt at fact.

Same with "Bionicle 2015 is aimed at a younger audience". That is also not a matter of opinion. Whether or not it's aimed at a younger audience is a matter of fact, and the arguments we have are based on evidence. One such piece of evidence you tried to present (which you are claiming is an opinion, which is incorrect; something doesn't just become a matter of opinion because you say it is) is that "the figures are larger because younger kids like larger figures", which is ridiculous. It's like saying Masterpiece Optimus Prime is aimed at a much younger audience than Legends Class Optimus Prime because he's so much bigger.

• Upvote 5

I'd really love to see a stop to "Bionicle is X because Kids are Y" posts unless you're going to actually link to some hard fact on that. Throwing around this "cell phone age" nonsense is extremely insulting to this generation of kids.

• Upvote 10

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

That isn't evidence it is my opinion. (←Why does it seem as if everyone doesn't notice the word opinion? Maybe I should type it twice so everyone notices it.)

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”

Wrong. 

Edited by Gipsy Danger

Because you're misusing the word opinion. Saying "the characters are bigger because younger kids like that" isn't an opinion, it's a statement. It's stating something you believe to be true. Whether or not its true is a different matter, but since it is something falsifiable, it's not an opinion, it's an attempt at fact.

Same with "Bionicle 2015 is aimed at a younger audience". That is also not a matter of opinion. Whether or not it's aimed at a younger audience is a matter of fact, and the arguments we have are based on evidence. One such piece of evidence you tried to present (which you are claiming is an opinion, which is incorrect; something doesn't just become a matter of opinion because you say it is) is that "the figures are larger because younger kids like larger figures", which is ridiculous. It's like saying Masterpiece Optimus Prime is aimed at a much younger audience than Legends Class Optimus Prime because he's so much bigger.

Could you please stop trying to turn this in to a heated debate by putting down every little thing I say and just have a friendly discussion about it?  Thanks!

Edited by Mocmaker
  • Upvote 2