Billion Brick Race

It looks like there's yet another LEGO movie in the works. The Hollywood Reporter has shared that Jason Segel and Drew Pearce will write and co-direct Billion Brick Race. There's not much other information regarding what the movie will be about or when it will be released, so we'll just have to wait and see. It's interesting to see all the spinoffs The LEGO Movie is getting - I'm just hoping that some of them live up to the expectations set by the original.

View the full article

• Upvote 1

While I have every reason to believe that LEGO knows what they're doing, I can't help but think that they're stretching things too thin.

Look, we all know that a second LEGO Movie was in the works since the first one did so well, and it's pretty clear that a LEGO Batman movie will do pretty well too. But this universe is no Marvel Cinematic Universe—at least not yet. On the basis of one movie, LEGO has greenlighted a ton of spinoffs.

It's an interesting business strategy but not one that I see as justified from an outsider's perspective. I don't see the other movies in the franchise doing poorly, but they may end up not doing as well as the original. It's the risk they're running here.

• Upvote 3

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

While I have every reason to believe that LEGO knows what they're doing, I can't help but think that they're stretching things too thin.

Look, we all know that a second LEGO Movie was in the works since the first one did so well, and it's pretty clear that a LEGO Batman movie will do pretty well too. But this universe is no Marvel Cinematic Universe—at least not yet. On the basis of one movie, LEGO has greenlighted a ton of spinoffs.

It's an interesting business strategy but not one that I see as justified from an outsider's perspective. I don't see the other movies in the franchise doing poorly, but they may end up not doing as well as the original. It's the risk they're running here.

I agree. I understand why Lego would make a sequel to TLM. I can even understand greenlighting a spin-off film with Lego Batman to an extent. But this new spin-off will now give Lego three upcoming movies (Four, if you include the 2016 Ninjago movie) within the next three to five years. (The article doesn't say when the 'Brick Race' movie will be released, but I bet it will be sometime in either 2019 or 2020.) That is a lot of different movie projects for Lego to be developing based on the success of one movie. 

I want to hope that all of these movies will be as good as TLM, but only time will tell if that will be the case. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Well The Muppets was fantastic so if Segal can bring that energy and love to this movie... seems like a win to me.

Though I have to confess that even as a LEGO fan I can't see myself being too interested in so many movies thrown at us at once. Though oversaturation hasn't stopped super hero movies from being box office gold so I'm sure everything will pan out.

• Upvote 1
BZPRPG

While I'm sure LEGO has a little input in these things, this is what happens when you license yourself for movies. I doubt they have much control over how many films are being made or what the topic of them is beyond a creative approval.

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

I bet this movie is going to be about a big race with a massive prize that everyone is after, and that the racers will be various Lego characters from various Lego themes. This could turn out really good if they do it right. (And I really hope so!) At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they announced that a Bionicle movie was coming out as well. :P

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Do we even know for sure this is a Lego Movie spinoff? It almost sounds more to me like what Fishers said—a documentary/biopic related to the Lego brand. There's no reason we absolutely must assume that all movies about Lego are Lego movie spinoffs, even if the Hollywood press does tend to make that assumption.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother