BIONICLE Mask Hunt About to Begin

tn_15_03_27_mask-hunt.png

It seems LEGO is getting ready to give us the next chance to win one of the 14-karat gold BIONICLE masks as a video giving some insight into the creation of the golden masks has surfaced on Facebook. The video also tells us to keep a close eye on the BIONICLE Facebook page and mentions the hashtag #BionicleMaskHunt. Looks like exciting stuff is coming soon!

View the full article

• Upvote 9

Haha, just saw this and was about to send over a link! I'm very excited to see what this contest is going to be like ((and hopefully will have a chance at winning any of the Golden Masks, hehe :P))

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

Here we go again... I wonder if it 's going to be another building competition or if it will be something like a story or drawing competition.

It would be interesting to see a different type of entry for each mask, too, as then people could enter for each one with their own skills beyond building

Although due to the hashtag #BionicleMaskHunt I'm assuming it will be a scavenger hunt of some sort

Edited by ~Haxorus~
  • Upvote 1

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

I honestly would prefer a more meaningful contest prize than just more 14 karat gold masks. I mean it's just shiny, needlessly expensive version of the already existing masks. Why not give something that'd be more interesting than some shaped expensive metal.

• Upvote 1

This was a pleasant surprise this morning! :) Awesome, well-shot video. Interesting to know the process of creating these one-of-a-kind 14-karat masks. The narration fit perfectly. 

Really nice interview too. I think it's awesome that we are getting to see the people who designed the sets more prominently than in the last generation. That stand is so awesome, it's a shame that it will most-likely never be released. 

Hopefully I can get my hands on one of these masks. :P Excited for the promotion to start.

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg

I'm torn between wanting something that's not random chance so that someone will truly be a winner and it won't just be a "Like us on facebook!" thing, but then I want it to be a random chance thing because I know that I won't win otherwise.

In honor of the anniversary, I'm making a signature. Neat.

Scavenger hunt? 

Yeah, I don't know how they are going to pull that off. It reeks of a 39-clues-style marketing racket. That is, unless they specifically hid the Golden masks in some physical location somewhere. I just can't see myself even having a flying possibility of winning this. Yet.

Scavenger hunt? 

Yeah, I don't know how they are going to pull that off. It reeks of a 39-clues-style marketing racket. That is, unless they specifically hid the Golden masks in some physical location somewhere. I just can't see myself even having a flying possibility of winning this. Yet.

You know, I just finished reading the 39 Clues series.

I suspect they'll be given out in the form of totally random raffles, but hopefully we see another building contest, or something at least somewhat competitive.

I enjoyed the video. It's nice to see a couple of designers' faces, and Gali and Kopaka have my two favorite mask designs!

IetTsFQ.png

Scavenger hunt? 

You know, I just finished reading the 39 Clues series.

It's actually not a bad book series, per se, but on the website: http://the39clues.scholastic.com/ there used to be a huge marketing racket. I don't know if there is one there still, but yeah. 

A marketing racket is when you have to buy a certain amount of a certain brand of merchandise to have a flying chance of winning something. For the 39 clues, it was a race to buy all of the books and card packs for the series in order to get to the 39 clues first (and get, correspondingly, a huge cash prize).

The problem with this, is that a ton of people buy into the racket to get the cash prize (the buy-in price is always much lower than the cash prize), and the merchandise sales outpace the prize money severely because of all the people who buy in looking to win. The real winners are the owners of the racket, not the person who eventually gets the prize (even though the latter MIGHT be financially better off :P). 

(I cheated the racket by nabbing clue cards out of library books. They eventually got smart to that and started releasing library editions of the books, and that's when I quit. :P)

This seems like the same thing in disguise to me - ostensibly, big ticket prize of golden mask + scavenger hunt. That says that it will be a Bionicle merchandise scavenger hunt (meaning that the hunters will have to buy Bionicle sets or something from Lego) thus racket mechanics. 

It's not something that I know for certain, but at this point it's a pretty good guess. They are promoting a new line, so adding bait to ensure that the new sets will fly off shelves isn't anywhere near unprecedented. 

Sigh... it is at this point where my firm decision to avoid Facebook proves to work against me. :/

• Upvote 2

"It's all a trick, you see. They want me to pretend to betray them. They want you to concentrate your forces here against an attack that won't come. But I decided: Why pretend to betray them when actually doing it would be so much more fun?"
— Vezon to Tridax, Destiny War

I honestly would prefer a more meaningful contest prize than just more 14 karat gold masks. I mean it's just shiny, needlessly expensive version of the already existing masks. Why not give something that'd be more interesting than some shaped expensive metal.

...like, what? It's merely a promotional thing they're doing with these masks, and it's not necessary in any way. Masks are one of the biggest defining traits of Bionicle, so it stands to reason that they would serve as prizes for contests and giveaways. What exactly would be a better prize?

• Upvote 3

AXKP5KC.png

That video had to be one of the Narrator's best videos yet! :P

Joking aside, I really would like to win one of these golden masks. Especially the Mask of Fire. I'll definitely be keeping an closer eye on Facebook to keep up with this.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Perhaps one of these will be a reward to the winner of the Bionicle Target Tournament coming in April?

"It's all a trick, you see. They want me to pretend to betray them. They want you to concentrate your forces here against an attack that won't come. But I decided: Why pretend to betray them when actually doing it would be so much more fun?"
— Vezon to Tridax, Destiny War

Perhaps one of these will be a reward to the winner of the Bionicle Target Tournament coming in April?

I would highly doubt it. The tournament are things done at individual lego stores and take place nightly for three days. The calender says that the reward for the daily winner is just a buildable action figure. Probably a protector, maybe a toa if they're generous. There'd really be no way to coordinate one winner and make sure scores are accurate and avoid cheating for one prize.

In honor of the anniversary, I'm making a signature. Neat.

...like, what? It's merely a promotional thing they're doing with these masks, and it's not necessary in any way. Masks are one of the biggest defining traits of Bionicle, so it stands to reason that they would serve as prizes for contests and giveaways. What exactly would be a better prize?

Here is an idea, a unique mask that the winner and the Bionicle Designer group made together and the winner will get the first print of the mask up until the set that contains it will come out for everyone to buy. There something like that has way more value than some chunk of forged gold. But if people would look past the shiny gold, they would see we could get a better prize.

Here is an idea, a unique mask that the winner and the Bionicle Designer group made together and the winner will get the first print of the mask up until the set that contains it will come out for everyone to buy. There something like that has way more value than some chunk of forged gold. But if people would look past the shiny gold, they would see we could get a better prize.

UH...No it doesn't. Those "chucks of forged gold" are one-of-a-kind, meaning they won't show up anywhere and are therefore more valuable.

Edited by Anonymous User
  • Upvote 2

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

UH...No it doesn't. Those "chucks of forged gold" are one-of-a-kind, meaning they won't show up anywhere and are therefore more valuable.

So you all prefer that Lego is wasting the budget for Bionicle on gold masks instead of, let's see, actual collectible mask packs like how it was back at the start? I love it how people are trying to justify the quantity over quality with this current event of gold mask prize thing, instead of taking a moment and think. They're clearly milking the gimmick from the first contest's idea with the gold Hau instead of coming up with something new. 

I can't think of any motivation for them to ever try something that risky. By putting a random winner and a LEGO designer together, you risk a final product that not only has to choose between straying from the winner's design to meet LEGO's quality standards, but also forces LEGO to allot a future set to wear a mask that was designed because some child (or adult possibly, but that's not much better honestly) designed it in a vacuum to look cool instead of thinking what was best for that set's character. It simply doesn't seem feasible to me as a possibility, and I have no idea how being the first person to have a piece of plastic that would soon be on the market for everybody is better than having a mask in solid 14 karat gold, even if you did play some small hand in its design.

LEGO does these gold prizes for a reason: gold is valuable. People like shiny gold things. They're like crows. (And crows are like us; my money's on them as next sapient species) Also, gold is safe. People will probably always love gold, and they can produce gold versions of existing pieces at pretty much no risk to them (barring poor budgeting decisions.) Meanwhile, something ambitious like what you propose could compromise product quality. It effectively binds them into using a mask that hasn't gone through focus groups, and if the final mask's set ends up testing poorly because of the mask, what can they do? Their hands are tied by a contest prize that could cost far more than its benefits.

If we didn't get gold masks, the prizes would likely be current sets in production or LEGO gift cards. Those are the usual prizes, after all. We're not going to get some super-risky ambitious prize because it is super risky.

• Upvote 6