Matoran Polybags

Grungemeister

(feel free to move this to the correct forum if this is in the wrong one)

Alright guys, here's my idea. Back in the day, they should have made Tohunga grab bags, not dissimilar from the Lego Minifigures bags of today.

So here's how it would work: Each grab bag would include two legs, a throwing arm, a claw arm, a body, a head, and a disk. There would also be a mask in one of the six less common colors. You would have to get the rest of the masks from the mask packs. Or maybe the less common color masks could have been included in the normal mask packs.

Or maybe the mask packs also included a Matoran. That would actually work pretty well.

Each body part (excluding the head) would come in one of 18 colors: the six primary colors, the six secondary colors, and six of the less common colors.

So the colors would be:

Ta

Red

Orange

Yellow (or dark red)

Ga

Blue

Light blue

Dark blue

Le

Green

Lime

Turquoise (or dark green)

Ko

White

Light gray

Sand blue

Po

Brown

Tan

Dark orange

Onu

Black

Dark gray

Purple

Yellow and Turquoise would be questionable, since those colors already come with sets, and the alternates do not.

Each bag would include a complete Matoran with only colors from one element.  Also, the body and two arms would be the same color, as well as the two legs. So basically, each bag would include a generic Matoran of one element. So for example, a bag with a Ko-Matoran would have a white body and arms, two sand blue legs, a head, a light gray Hau, and an Akaku disc. Or if the Matoran were included in the mask packs, there would be one rare color mask, a full Matoran, and the contents of a standard mask pack.

You would be able to make literally ANY of the Matoran from MNOG. So what do you guys think?

EDIT: Bfahome pointed out that with all of the possible color combinations, there would be way too many collectibles. Therefore, I think that the amount could be brought down greatly by only including torsos and arms in the standard six colors: red, light blue, lime, black, tan, and white. Le-Koronans also had some green torsos (http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/thumb/d/d9/Kumo_MNOLG.png/250px-Kumo_MNOLG.png  http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/thumb/6/6e/Makani_MNOLG.png/250px-Makani_MNOLG.png) and Ga-Koronans had some blue torsos (http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/thumb/4/49/MNOLG_Matoran_Nixie.png/250px-MNOLG_Matoran_Nixie.png and that cloned Ga-Matoran in MNOG http://s20.postimg.org/6pfowb6ul/warning.jpg) , so that would be two additional colors.

Edited by Toa Vanson
  • Upvote 5

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

Rare mask would be a power up for your McToran,

Also, failed to mention earlier, this kind of thing would yield far higher in purchases, which would mean they're far more likely to happen, things like these, because the reason they stopped the mask packs was that they were just faces, you can't tell a story with a couple of faces and a head, whereas with things like Matoran and Minifig Polybags, you've got a full character who can be whoever you want them to be, meaning they're good for kids, and fanfic writers.

Edited by D5 Petewa
  • Upvote 1

No i mentioned in the OP that there would be six "rare" colors. They're not really rare, but it's the third, less common color of each of the elements

Edited by Toa Vanson

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  

Dark red, dark blue, and dark green didn't exist in 2001 -- dark red and dark blue were introduced in 2002, so maybe if this had been a thing during Year 2, but I don't think dark green came into play until even later.

But yeah I would have been so into this. Heck, even if they had just sold the original 6 McToran in stores

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
-------------------------------------
Rate The Song Above You

As cool as it would be, I doubt something of this magnitude would ever be or have been realistic.  It sounds neat in concept, but I don't think many people will buy that many McToran.

It would also be impractical as a collector's item, since (6 villages)x(3 torso colors)x(3 foot colors)x(12 mask molds)x(2 unprinted mask colors*) = almost 1,300 combinations, five times the number of Kraata (which was pretty overkill as far as collectibles go already).

* there are technically 3 mask colors given for each village, but I am only considering it to be two if we're ignoring mask pack colors

• Upvote 5

OpAXNpl.jpg

As cool as it would be, I doubt something of this magnitude would ever be or have been realistic.  It sounds neat in concept, but I don't think many people will buy that many McToran.

It would also be impractical as a collector's item, since (6 villages)x(3 torso colors)x(3 foot colors)x(12 mask molds)x(2 unprinted mask colors*) = almost 1,300 combinations, five times the number of Kraata (which was pretty overkill as far as collectibles go already).

* there are technically 3 mask colors given for each village, but I am only considering it to be two if we're ignoring mask pack colors

There are only 6 torso colors. I think only 6 ever made an appearance: red, light blue, lime, black, tan, and white. Granted, I think some Le-Matoran had green torsos and some Ga-Matoran had blue ones.

Dark red, dark blue, and dark green didn't exist in 2001 -- dark red and dark blue were introduced in 2002, so maybe if this had been a thing during Year 2, but I don't think dark green came into play until even later.

But yeah I would have been so into this. Heck, even if they had just sold the original 6 McToran in stores

I mentioned dark blue because I thought a Ga-Matoran in MNOG 2 had dark blue legs and a mask. So did Hahli.

While I would've loved the chance to expand my McToran cast, I don't think it would make an economical sense. I mean, they did produce at least 72 styles for the original collectible masks, and this would require even more unique mold and color combos. :shrugs: Plus, I think they underestimated the popularity of the McToran at the time. They were supposed to be just secondary characters availible in a Happy Meal, but then the MNOLG made them the main inhabitants of the Bionicle world, with lots of varying characters. It's easy enough to change the part coloring in a Flash game for the characters, but not so much when selling them. Besides, most McToran parts weren't entirely useful outside of building a McToran, so not a whole lot of versitility there either. :shrugs:

:music:

There are only 6 torso colors. I think only 6 ever made an appearance: red, light blue, lime, black, tan, and white. Granted, I think some Le-Matoran had green torsos and some Ga-Matoran had blue ones.

You mentioned 18 colors for each body part, which i assumed meant torso and arms as well.

Also, Le-Koro had three torso/arm colors associated with it.  The other villages not so much, but we never really saw that many unique Matoran from other villages anyway.  The best variety we got was from the second game, which also considerably expanded the number of colors necessary.

OpAXNpl.jpg

You mentioned 18 colors for each body part, which i assumed meant torso and arms as well.

Also, Le-Koro had three torso/arm colors associated with it.  The other villages not so much, but we never really saw that many unique Matoran from other villages anyway.  The best variety we got was from the second game, which also considerably expanded the number of colors necessary.

Yeah, sorry for the confusion. I edited the OP to match the right colors. Le-Koronans and Ga-Koronans both had an additional color, excluding light blue for Le-Matoran since it's already a color.

What about orange for nupuru

Nuparu only had orange on his mask. I don't think any Matoran had orange body parts aside from masks.

Yeah, sorry for the confusion. I edited the OP to match the right colors. Le-Koronans and Ga-Koronans both had an additional color, excluding light blue for Le-Matoran since it's already a color.

Nuparu only had orange on his mask. I don't think any Matoran had orange body parts aside from masks.

Photok.

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

Photok.

We're talking about Matoran from MNOG, 2002 Bohrok Animations, and 2003 Bohrok-Kal Animations.

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

I think sets with so many rules for randomization would be a huge logistical hassle. No other randomized LEGO sets have ever had to ensure that their random contents are compatible on so many levels. They have either been predetermined sets that simply have identical labeling (the collectible minifigures) or sets with specific parts chosen at random from a particular pool of parts. (BIONICLE accessory packs).

It would be much more practical, production-wise, to release predetermined Matoran kind of like the CMFs. Especially since sets with such interchangeable contents would likely wear out their novelty very quickly, and most people would only ever buy a few of them. If they were randomized, there would not be any concept of a "complete collection" to encourage purchasing and trading for additional figures once you had a few of them, nor would the individual figures express any kind of unique personal identities the way the CMFs do. If the figures were truly randomized, that makes creating a guide to the names and identities of all of them downright impossible, and without such a guide they'd all be equally generic nobodies.

In this day and age, there might be other options available for populating a BIONICLE world. The Mixels show that you can create models that have actual unique builds and personalities and sell them in large numbers without a need for blind packaging or randomization. And today's BIONICLE sets have broken free of clone builds, so there could be greater variety than you could with generic "McToran". $5 constraction sets would have lower piece counts than the Mixels, and if they were meant to represent typical BIONICLE villagers that would limit their variety since you couldn't change things like the number of legs, but it still might be an option if BIONICLE as a whole could drive demand for sets without cutting into the demand for the regular sets.

• Upvote 3

I think sets with so many rules for randomization would be a huge logistical hassle. No other randomized LEGO sets have ever had to ensure that their random contents are compatible on so many levels. They have either been predetermined sets that simply have identical labeling (the collectible minifigures) or sets with specific parts chosen at random from a particular pool of parts. (BIONICLE accessory packs).

It would be much more practical, production-wise, to release predetermined Matoran kind of like the CMFs. Especially since sets with such interchangeable contents would likely wear out their novelty very quickly, and most people would only ever buy a few of them. If they were randomized, there would not be any concept of a "complete collection" to encourage purchasing and trading for additional figures once you had a few of them, nor would the individual figures express any kind of unique personal identities the way the CMFs do. If the figures were truly randomized, that makes creating a guide to the names and identities of all of them downright impossible, and without such a guide they'd all be equally generic nobodies.

In this day and age, there might be other options available for populating a BIONICLE world. The Mixels show that you can create models that have actual unique builds and personalities and sell them in large numbers without a need for blind packaging or randomization. And today's BIONICLE sets have broken free of clone builds, so there could be greater variety than you could with generic "McToran". $5 constraction sets would have lower piece counts than the Mixels, and if they were meant to represent typical BIONICLE villagers that would limit their variety since you couldn't change things like the number of legs, but it still might be an option if BIONICLE as a whole could drive demand for sets without cutting into the demand for the regular sets.

Perhaps they could make standard clone villagers then? That way the choice is more up to "which color and weapon you prefer" instead of "which build do you prefer"? It also lets imagination take a foot hold, and you don't have to buy all of them. Lego knows a child probably won't be able to buy every single figure, they're not counting on it. A cheap villager that you can buy again and again, then give any kind of purpose within its own environment though? That might sell pretty well. The main issue with the protectors is that they have a story, they have a select niche purpose and we all know that their masks aren't the same as a normal villager's mask. Having a cheap character that can do almost anything as well as having role versatility? That's something kids love, because they can make their own character out of what is essentially a creative template. A canvas for imagination. 

Edited by BlatantlyHeroic
  • Upvote 1

Perhaps they could make standard clone villagers then? That way the choice is more up to "which color and weapon you prefer" instead of "which build do you prefer"? It also lets imagination take a foot hold, and you don't have to buy all of them. Lego knows a child probably won't be able to buy every single figure, they're not counting on it. A cheap villager that you can buy again and again, then give any kind of purpose within its own environment though? That might sell pretty well. The main issue with the protectors is that they have a story, they have a select niche purpose and we all know that their masks aren't the same as a normal villager's mask. Having a cheap character that can do almost anything as well as having role versatility? That's something kids love, because they can make their own character out of what is essentially a creative template. A canvas for imagination. 

I really like this idea. Blind bags containing one of six villagers would be cool! Of course, they could just make them more expensive (and more worth that price, of course) and sell them as the small sets of 2016.

That would have been awesome. Also, I wish they did something like that for the 2003 Matoran as well...

-NotS

Alas, we only got 8 of them... and none of them Kongu... Seriously, there were not enough MoLToran. I really want LEGO to fix that issue this time around and actually make more villagers. Y'know, so the Toa have a reason to look danger in the eye? Someone to protect? Also, the protectors are leaders. They should have people to lead.

Alright, here's my idea of how this would go:

Each package would be a standard mask pack plus a element-specified Matoran. Each combination of parts' colors in the Matoran would be selected from the chart thing in the OP. To keep confusion down, though, the arms and body and the two feet would be the same color. The Matoran would also come with a mask that is one of those colors, as opposed to the mask coming in the mask pack. The reason for this would be so that there would be a mask that fits the Matoran's element 100% of the time. Here's a very professional picture that I put together to show what the package may look like: https://i.imgur.com/SQfEcc6.png

Maybe a disk would be included as well. So it says "Le-Matoran edition" because there would be six kinds of pack, and each one would have the parts for that element. A Ta-Matoran edition one, for example, might include the body parts color and mask color of Ta-Matoran. So it would be red torso and arms, yellow legs, and a red Pakari.

Edited by Toa Vanson

Each package would be a standard mask pack plus a element-specified Matoran. Each combination of parts' colors in the Matoran would be selected from the chart thing in the OP. To keep confusion down, though, the arms and body and the two feet would be the same color. The Matoran would also come with a mask that is one of those colors, as opposed to the mask coming in the mask pack. The reason for this would be so that there would be a mask that fits the Matoran's element 100% of the time. Here's a very professional picture that I put together to show what the package may look like: https://i.imgur.com/SQfEcc6.png

Maybe a disk would be included as well. So it says "Le-Matoran edition" because there would be six kinds of pack, and each one would have the parts for that element. A Ta-Matoran edition one, for example, might include the body parts color and mask color of Ta-Matoran. So it would be red torso and arms, yellow legs, and a red Pakari.

And extremely rarely in Ta-Matoran packs you'd be able to find some blue.

From the Takua's Previous Mask topic?  :P

Goodness, please don't bring that here, too.

Perhaps blue parts in a Ta-Matoran set could be like a contest, to find the "rarest parts" or something, similar to the WMKK.

Perhaps blue parts in a Ta-Matoran set could be like a contest, to find the "rarest parts" or something, similar to the WMKK.

People would mix in parts from their Ga-Matoran to cheat.

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

Maybe the package would have a card/certificate or a special code printed on the inside to prove legitimacy?

Maybe the package would have a card/certificate or a special code printed on the inside to prove legitimacy?

This needs to be a thing.

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat