The Real Reason Stepping on a LEGO Hurts

"I hope you step on a LEGO" is not just hyperbole for wishing ill on others, as we all know stepping on something pointy and hard can bring out quite a yelp. But there is more behind the brick's sharp edges and foot's soft flesh, explains Today I Found Out. In particular, the average LEGO brick can withstand 953 pounds of force before being bent out of shape, while the foot is much more sensitive so it can work to keep us balanced and safe. Combine that with a brick's pointy corners and, well, you know the rest. The article explains it with a bit more science, but it will not make it hurt any less.

View the full article

I've always feared walking into a room without the lights turned on. In my house, there is a Lego brick on the floor in every room, just waiting to reek havoc on the bottom of my foot. Now at least I can be assured that the brick itself is in no danger. :P Every brick counts.

Edited by The Meta Knight

MetaKnight.gif  Stay vigilant, my friends. MetaKnight.gif

Interested read, although there was some sympathy pain to be had while reading it. Of course, Bionicle pieces for the most part have more forgiving surfaces than System bricks and their studs. CCBS even more so, with those extremely smooth shells and bones.

~B~

• Upvote 2

Even if the average LEGO brick can withstand 953 pounds of force before being crushed, that still doesn't explain why the edge of a large plate bends and warps when I'm not careful removing it. NOTE: I often remove those at an angle using a few separators.

Oh the humanity!

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

It hurts to step on them? I'll have to try that out, just one sec, be right back,

EDIT: Stepped on pile of skull spider legs...still didn't hurt...I'm gonna try with gears now,

Not Gears, Try a 1x1 Lego Brick.

I did, Gears and technic pieces hurt more,

Thats odd.

Anyway I didn't Know that "I hope you step on a Lego" was an Actual Phrase.

I think stepping on Technic pins that are embedded in the carpet is worse. Because they itch and tickle your feet something fierce. And your have to scratch. 

I've lost a couple of them to my carpet, and every so often my foot gets a tickle, and I look down for the culprit. And that raises the question: who the heck is Alfred von Tickleswort? At least, until I find him. 

• Upvote 1