A question about legos and... bugs... insects...

JungleSlizer

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask help to my worries, but here goes:

So, I have my "Lego building corner" in a rather cold room in my basement. I have lately seen a few of really small bugs running around when I'm building (Not like cockroaches or anything, more like teeny tiny spider like creatures.) They are kinda freaking me out and I would like to know what you guys think, should I be concerned about them or just leave it. I haven't seen many of them, more like one or two per month. :notsure:

My bricks are stored in bins with lids on them, and the place is not damp, only cold. Like I said, they are in my basement, so it could be natural, but I still would like to hear some... tips.

This whole thing may sound ridiculous, but... any help? :no:

This doesn't sound ridiculous at all!

I've had this problem a few times in my dealings with storing Lego bricks, but only a few times. I'm not really sure what you can do about the situation, however. I would suggest maybe moving the storage bins to a different location and see what happens. I am also strongly against the use of any acidic bug spray, as it does damage Lego bricks.

Bugs in your Lego space can be gross, but often in a basement or similar area there's nothing that can be done to keep them out entirely. Traps can help some for small bugs like ants, which can help eliminate things like spiders by removing their food source.

Whatever you do, avoid chemical sprays and such unless you can ensure that they won't contaminate your collection. Many such chemicals can react with plastics used in Lego, potentially harming their structural integrity and making them brittle. This is one of the few known factors that has been confirmed to result in CCBS part breakage.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

okay, hate to be the master of ew here, but a simple fact i've learned: some bugs love nesting in the tubes on the undersides of standard bricks.

it'd do you good to, as said, keep them in airtight containers. and, it'd probalby be best to clean them, if you (like me) find any bug shells stuck in there anyway. :t

• Upvote 1

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Only once have I ever found bug creatures in the bricks themselves. I keep my LEGO bricks color-sorted and stacked in a bedroom on the first story of my home. I highly doubt many crawly creatures will come into a usually populated room. Or so says the legend of Okoto, at any rate.

Edited by Ghidora131
  • Upvote 1