Protector of Water: Male or Female?

Protector of Water's gender?  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, I remember back in 2014, and earlier this year, that people were confused about the Protector of Water's gender. I decided to make a poll. I mean, Bionicle.com describes the role of Protector as being passed down from father to son, but the build of the PoW is somewhat feminine. What do all of you guys think?

Edited by Cwog
  • Upvote 1

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

Gali is friendly and peaceful. But when the situation calls for it, she can be as fierce as a raging ocean. She finds injustice intolerable and always goes out of her way to help the ones who need it. Gali’s mellow ways have made her the most liked among the heroes. She is generous, a good listener and friend. Only one little thing: she just can’t seem to tell a joke right!

Gali is friendly and peaceful. But when the situation calls for it, she can be as fierce as a raging ocean. She finds injustice intolerable and always goes out of her way to help the ones who need it. Gali’s mellow ways have made her the most liked among the heroes. She is generous, a good listener and friend. Only one little thing: she just can’t seem to tell a joke right!

I'm talking about the Protector of Water, not Gali. Gali is obviously female, but there is next to no info on the PoW.

• Upvote 10

That refers to Gali, Master of Water, Set 70786#, whereas this poll is about the Protector of Water, Set #70780. The Bio for the latter has no pronouns to determine gender (it's merely the repeated Bio for all the Protectors, which indicates they are male with the "father to son" thing.

Personally, I still imagine the Protector of Water to be like Nokama, thus female.

:music:

• Upvote 4

Just to change it up, I've always liked the idea that the PoW is male, and the PoI and PoJ are female.

I also like to imagine that some of the Protectors are really young and inexperienced because their father died fighting skull spiders or something, so they had to be Protector before they were ready.

• Upvote 5

aside from vakama Protector of Fire, we have a buncha entirely gender ambiguous robot-people, so it seems this could extend beyond the Water Protector.

(i honeslty like to inject "it's a girl" at every possible chance, but this would also be a good time for, i dunno, some less... binary, thinking? o: )

• Upvote 7

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Well, the "from father to son" part suggests the Protector of Water is male, or else gender-neutral language like "from parent to child" would have been used. Which is a shame, because that would leave Gali as the only female character. And here we were hoping for better gender ratios...

~B~

• Upvote 2

Personally, I like to consider the Protector of Water female. While I certainly like that gender in the new story no longer seems inherently tied to elements, I feel like it would be a good idea for Gali, as the sole female Toa at least among this initial group, to have a female role model and mentor to learn from and look up to. As such, I depicted the Protector of Water as female in a recent short story (while also establishing that she in turn had inherited the position from her father). I don't give much credence to the gendered terminology in the Protector descriptions, particularly considering that the same description is shared by all six (and as such is less likely to have been tailored to specifically describe each individual Protector).

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

One argument I've seen from TheBolttron and gk377 on Deviantart (Bolttron is on here too) is that the proportions of the PoJ, PoS, and PoW all suggest females. The wider hips and narrower shoulders seem to support this, though I wouldn't restrict it like that completely.

There's also G1 tradition to support this, so I've been imagining her as female since the first set images surfaced.

• Upvote 2

One argument I've seen from TheBolttron and gk377 on Deviantart (Bolttron is on here too) is that the proportions of the PoJ, PoS, and PoW all suggest females. The wider hips and narrower shoulders seem to support this, though I wouldn't restrict it like that completely.

There's also G1 tradition to support this, so I've been imagining her as female since the first set images surfaced.

Interesting! I certainly like that idea, but can we really be sure?

We don't really know the genders of any of the Protectors, except for PoF, probably. We have no real reason to take the "father to son" thing too literally.

I tend to imagine PoW as female.

For the Protector of Fire, I think he's male. The narrator uses a noticeably different voice when talking as Gali, which I guess is supposed to be feminine. The voice for the PoF isn't that higher-pitched, so I assume that he's male.

Edited by Cwog

I voted female. I don't see the Protecter of Water being male, though I wouldn't have a problem with it if that turned out to be the case.

I agree with that. Nothing about the Protectors is really set in stone, so I'm fine with anything the story throws our way.

If you ask me, she's female -- and so are the Protectors of Stone and Jungle.

(i honeslty like to inject "it's a girl" at every possible chance, but this would also be a good time for, i dunno, some less... binary, thinking? o: )

For what it's worth, I like to imagine that the PoI's gender is ambiguous, indeterminable, and possibly nonexistent. They refrain from ever speaking so as not to give any hints or provoke any speculation ^_^ Edited by Jacks
  • Upvote 2

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
-------------------------------------
Rate The Song Above You

With my headcanon of Lewa and Kopaka being female, this gives the Protector/Toa relationships a nice mix of genders.

For what it's worth, I like to imagine that the PoI's gender is ambiguous, indeterminable, and possibly nonexistent. They refrain from ever speaking so as not to give any hints or provoke any speculation ^_^

Reminds me of the dwarves from Discworld. Both genders have beards and wear the same armor, so most of their courtship involves trying to find out what gender their beloved actually is. A dwarf woman wearing lipstick was a cultural revolution that shakes the bedrock of their civilisation.

Now I picture Kopaka being the most talkative being in the village, being told his/her name and mission by the PoI holding up signs like an 70s cartoon.

Edited by Regitnui
  • Upvote 3

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

With my headcanon of Lewa and Kopaka being female, this gives the Protector/Toa relationships a nice mix of genders.

For what it's worth, I like to imagine that the PoI's gender is ambiguous, indeterminable, and possibly nonexistent. They refrain from ever speaking so as not to give any hints or provoke any speculation ^_^

Reminds me of the dwarves from Discworld. Both genders have beards and wear the same armor, so most of their courtship involves trying to find out what gender their beloved actually is. A dwarf woman wearing lipstick was a cultural revolution that shakes the bedrock of their civilisation.

Now I picture Kopaka being the most talkative being in the village, being told his/her name and mission by the PoI holding up signs like an 70s cartoon.

It seems like you're a bit confused as to what a headcanon is. A headcanon is your theory as to what is true when the canon leaves it ambiguous. What you're talking about seems like an au, or Alternate Universe, where you like to imagine that Kopaka and Lewa are female.

• Upvote 1

I... haven't really got any definitive perceptions on what the Protectors genders are (other than the PoF); for the most part they are irrelevant to me; I could see most of the going a number of ways with varying degrees ... but that's not exactly I think they are say "ambiguous, indeterminable, and possibly nonexistent" although I'm not opposed to that either, I'm kinda 1 level above that; I'm meta-(meta-)gender determined XD

(No offence to anyone; I simply haven't got any primary views yet, so I'm open to any of those 5 being male/female/intersex/agender/indeterminable/etc. so yeah, I nulled my vote.)

It seems like you're a bit confused as to what a headcanon is. A headcanon is your theory as to what is true when the canon leaves it ambiguous. What you're talking about seems like an au, or Alternate Universe, where you like to imagine that Kopaka and Lewa are female.

I'm not sure if it's actually that non-standard for people to use "headcanon" to refer to their own version of the 'verse; there may be no fanfiction or work which uses it r maybe there is, but unlike some other thought they might have they like to entertain it's own existence, sure they might be able to also call it an AU, but I haven't seen many places insist that a headcanon can't include something that couldn't exist within canon without retcons.

But yeah it is a bit misleading.

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

It seems like you're a bit confused as to what a headcanon is. A headcanon is your theory as to what is true when the canon leaves it ambiguous. What you're talking about seems like an AU, or Alternate Universe, where you like to imagine that Kopaka and Lewa are female.

Since we're nitpicking, I'd like to point out that you either capitalise or include periods (.) between letters when forming an acronym or abbreviation.

Secondly, it is a headcanon, because in my head, it's canon. Fanon (Fan Canon) is generally accepted as canon by the fandom, and so will fill in the gaps in continuity and the world. Headcanon is one (or more) individual's interpretations of canon. In my (head)canon, Lewa is a tall, lanky girl, Kopaka is the uptight ice queen, and Gali is the feminine Team Mom. If it offends you, ignore it, but don't attempt to belittle it. Fair enough?

• Upvote 3

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

It seems like you're a bit confused as to what a headcanon is. A headcanon is your theory as to what is true when the canon leaves it ambiguous. What you're talking about seems like an AU, or Alternate Universe, where you like to imagine that Kopaka and Lewa are female.

Since we're nitpicking, I'd like to point out that you either capitalise or include periods (.) between letters when forming an acronym or abbreviation.

Secondly, it is a headcanon, because in my head, it's canon. Fanon (Fan Canon) is generally accepted as canon by the fandom, and so will fill in the gaps in continuity and the world. Headcanon is one (or more) individual's interpretations of canon. In my (head)canon, Lewa is a tall, lanky girl, Kopaka is the uptight ice queen, and Gali is the feminine Team Mom. If it offends you, ignore it, but don't attempt to belittle it. Fair enough?

Right. Just, in every other instance of "headcanon" that I've seen, it's something that isn't canon, but can easily fit into the canon without disturbing it. The only problem I have with you calling that a headcanon is that the canon has established that Kopaka and Lewa are male. I don't have anything against your idea, I just don't think it can be called a headcanon. Really though, I'm sorry to have started nitpicking anyway. It really was none of my business (or was it? It's my original post...) but whatever. You just think what you wanna think. Not my job to police that.

but can easily fit into the canon without disturbing it.

This doesn't disturb canon. The only thing that's affected by the characters' genders are a few pronouns, at this stage. But we can agree to disagree. :D

Edited by Regitnui
  • Upvote 2

but can easily fit into the canon without disturbing it.

This doesn't disturb canon. The only thing that's affected by the characters' genders are a few pronouns, at this stage. But we can agree to disagree. :D

I suppose.

Eh, I hope gendered tribes aren't a thing anymore, but I do see all of them as male due to the "father to son" thing.

However, I really love the idea of some of them eing younger and less experienced than other protectors due to the fathers tragedy, it gives them some more character. Like I see PoF as a 50 year old man, PoI as an 18 year old, PoE a 35-something trigger happy jokster, PoJ as a serious 65 year old quiet sage, PoW as a 25 year old who is getting comfortable with his role, qnd PoS a 45 year old tribe leader who rules with a strong but graceful hand.

But hey, that's just me. :P

• Upvote 2

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Given that all water characters in the first version were female, I guess we perceive water characters as female automatically.

That's not true. Ga-Matoran are all female, true. But other than that, to the best of my knowledge, all other blue characters are either genderless or male.

Edit: except Kina ofcourse.

Edited by Toa Doublebee

keetongorange-bionicle-logo-small.png

Given that all water characters in the first version were female, I guess we perceive water characters as female automatically.

That's not true. Ga-Matoran are all female, true. But other than that, to the best of my knowledge, all other blue characters are either genderless or male.

Where did I say anything about blue characters? Blue has been used for a number of non-water characters.

Where did I say anything about blue characters? Blue has been used for a number of non-water characters.

Fair enough. Tarix is from the Water Tribe, Vezok was a Skakdi of water. To name a fiew.

• Upvote 1

keetongorange-bionicle-logo-small.png

Fair enough. Tarix is from the Water Tribe, Vezok was a Skakdi of water. To name a fiew.

Okay, not all water characters. But all water Matoran were female, from Maku to Idris, and the Protector of Water is in essence of this group.

Personally, I'd like to think PoW is male, but then that makes me want to think that at least three other protectors are female, but I wouldn't be able to decide which,

EDIT: I'd also like to mention, it could be easily explained that the son wasn't old enough to inherit the position of Protector, incase PoW is female,

Edited by D5 Petewa