Protector of Water: Male or Female?

Protector of Water's gender?  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why does it matter?

Who invited the debby downer... -_-

Tuuli has a point though, why does it matter? I feel like it does because it would be nice to have diversity among the characters. But really, I'm fine with whichever road LEGO takes.

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

I voted female, since the Protectors are pretty much the Turaga all over again, but if the "father to son" thing was taken more literally than I'm imagining, then I'd be open to that, too. The Protector of Fire walking up to Tahu hunched over with a robe and staff in the animation is definitely a reference to Vakama, so I've taken to thinking of the other Protectors in the same way.

I voted female, since the Protectors are pretty much the Turaga all over again, but if the "father to son" thing was taken more literally than I'm imagining, then I'd be open to that, too. The Protector of Fire walking up to Tahu hunched over with a robe and staff in the animation is definitely a reference to Vakama, so I've taken to thinking of the other Protectors in the same way.

Yeah. I imagine the Protectors being trained by their parents to fight, so even when the Toa come and they may be old and frail, they can still hold their own against the skull spiders. Just look at the PoF when he and Tahu were at the temple. He was able to shoot down many spiders before being overwhelmed.

Tuuli has a point though, why does it matter? I feel like it does because it would be nice to have diversity among the characters. But really, I'm fine with whichever road LEGO takes.

If LEGO decides to do a backstory year like what they did with Gen1 (doesn't even have to be a whole set line, just a flashback episode or two) then I assume that their genders might matter, or at least to some degree. 

Anyway, I'll probably vote female as I always liked the idea of having an old lady as a village elder.

But to be honest, none of the Protectors have very feminine builds (in fact, hardly any Bionicles except a few infamous ones like Roodaka had "feminine" designs). However from a story standpoint, I can see them making the PoW a female. 

bZpOwEr

If LEGO decides to do a backstory year like what they did with Gen1 (doesn't even have to be a whole set line, just a flashback episode or two) then I assume that their genders might matter, or at least to some degree. 

Anyway, I'll probably vote female as I always liked the idea of having an old lady as a village elder.

But to be honest, none of the Protectors have very feminine builds (in fact, hardly any Bionicles except a few infamous ones like Roodaka had "feminine" designs). However from a story standpoint, I can see them making the PoW a female.

Real talk—how exactly would you go about giving a character that size a "feminine" build? On a Toa-sized figure or larger, you have more space to work with as far as proportions are concerned. On a smaller figure, though, there aren't really any easy options. Besides, the proportions of children (Matoran/villagers) and the elderly (Turaga/Protectors) really don't differ as much between the sexes, compared to full-grown adult proportions (Toa).

For what it's worth, the Protector of Water does have the appearance of having narrower shoulders than the other Protectors thanks to a lack of cladding on his/her upper arms, which may or may not have been intended to give the impression of femininity.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I voted female, purely because if there's anything that Bionicle does not need, it's less female characters. I consider the "father to son" thing to be simply using a phrase instead of reflecting what will actually be in the story, because otherwise it's basically saying that in New Bionicle, they will be limiting the number of female characters as much as they possibly can. Which isn't cool at all.

I hope more of the Protectors will be female. If the Protector of Water turned out to be male but, say, the Protectors of Earth and Wind were female, then I wouldn't be that bothered. Also, I liked the idea someone mentioned above about them maybe being nonbinary or something. That'd be cool too.

• Upvote 5

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

Real talk—how exactly would you go about giving a character that size a "feminine" build? On a Toa-sized figure or larger, you have more space to work with as far as proportions are concerned. On a smaller figure, though, there aren't really any easy options. Besides, the proportions of children (Matoran/villagers) and the elderly (Turaga/Protectors) really don't differ as much between the sexes, compared to full-grown adult proportions (Toa).

For what it's worth, the Protector of Water does have the appearance of having narrower shoulders than the other Protectors thanks to a lack of cladding on his/her upper arms, which may or may not have been intended to give the impression of femininity.

The only real way you could give a Bionicle a specifically masculine or feminine build is by adding over exaggerated proportions. Otherwise they look like genderless robots, or at least in my opinion. 

bZpOwEr

The only real way you could give a Bionicle a specifically masculine or feminine build is by adding over exaggerated proportions. Otherwise they look like genderless robots, or at least in my opinion. 

Dunno, depending on the way you pose them, they can look very different. However, you can tell that the rest of the Toa don't have the appearance of femininity that Gali has. Her upper-leg armor looks like she has larger thighs, and her large shoulder armor gives the impression of thinner shoulders (as opposed to broad shoulders). Also, as far as the PoW's build goes, the narrower shoulders, the longer legs, and also, under the silver armor-add-on, the armor doesn't reach as far down the torso, possibly implying a more pronounced chest.

Edited by Cwog

I honestly have no real opinion on her gender, seeing as we haven't even had any story appearances from her other than, "She was with gali when searching for the mask", and I'm pretty doubtful this will change, so you should feel free to choose whichever gender you want.

• Upvote 5

The Chirox Codex

Chuck's Very Dead Comic Series

:smilehafu: This is my signature. Exciting, huh?  :ruru:

I feel like any gender is fine, and that it could go beyond the two gender binary that our society has. I mean, they're outer space robots, odds are most of them are non-binary but use preferred pronouns

For storyline purposes Lego will most likely use female to go along with Gali being a female (and to harken back to the Ga-Matoran 'all female' trope), but as for individual users it is all up to interpretation

• Upvote 1

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

I honestly have no real opinion on her gender, seeing as we haven't even had any story appearances from her other than, "She was with gali when searching for the mask", and I'm pretty doubtful this will change, so you should feel free to choose whichever gender you want.

"No opinion"

Uses feminine pronouns throughout the whole post. :P

Not that it matters, I get what you were saying. I just found it funny.

• Upvote 3

Lyichir, I was thinking the same thing! As for Toa Chuck's opinion, I'd say that we will probably see more from the Protectors. They Toa spent weeks looking for the masks, and doubtless the Protectors gave them training while they were traveling Okoto. Plus, it's not like they're random villagers. They're the leaders, and are very important in society. Even if they never get another set appearance, I think it's likely that the Protectors will appear in the story again. Plus, don't forget that we have 3 books scheduled to come out! Plenty of story there.

"No opinion"

Uses feminine pronouns throughout the whole post. :P

Not that it matters, I get what you were saying. I just found it funny.

"No real opinion", in the case of the post, just means that they could less either way. The predominant usage of feminine pronouns was just because that is what everybody else is using, I'm assuming

Side note: nobody's said 'genderfluid' yet which I think is the ultimate title for PoW

• Upvote 1

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

Genderfluid? Could you explain that? Not quite sure what it means.

And then the pun is 'fluid'. Water is a fluid. Protector of Water is the protector of fluid. Though air is a fluid too, and i suppose the plasma in a flame could be considered a fluid too.

Now fluid looks really strange because I've typed it too much

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I like that the gender restriction is no longer there, and so for me, thinking of the Protector of Water as a male isn't that difficult, although I seem to think of the PoW as a female. In my mind, I lean towards PoE and PoJ being female as well, more so for J than E. It's fun to play around with the ideas in my head, and see what everyone else has to say here, I think. :)

I've tried imagining the PoI as a female.. possibly wearing a heavy coat, like Kopaka's golden pelt, but white, obviously.. Hmm.

I kind of hope it will be revealed in time, and I very much hope they mix it up a little.

• Upvote 1

I mainly don't care about the gender thing of the water protector but I'm going to go with female because it seem likely it will be something that Lego will make the protector, to at least give another female character.

Also what about the other 4 protector, it would be really hilarious if LEGO confirmed that the Earth Protector is female.

• Upvote 1

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

Just to change it up, I've always liked the idea that the PoW is male, and the PoI and PoJ are female.

I also like to imagine that some of the Protectors are really young and inexperienced because their father died fighting skull spiders or something, so they had to be Protector before they were ready.

Not even 3 years and you've already gone to the dark and gritty part of the story. XD

• Upvote 1

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

I mainly don't care about the gender thing of the water protector but I'm going to go with female because it seem likely it will be something that Lego will make the protector, to at least give another female character.

Also what about the other 4 protector, it would be really hilarious if LEGO confirmed that the Earth Protector is female.

I don't think PoE is female, mostly because it doesn't seem like a move LEGO would pull, mostly because the upper torso, which would turn out to be cleavage, would also be a weapon, and I don't think gatling boobs are kid-friendly ideas.

Just to change it up, I've always liked the idea that the PoW is male, and the PoI and PoJ are female.

I also like to imagine that some of the Protectors are really young and inexperienced because their father died fighting skull spiders or something, so they had to be Protector before they were ready.

Not even 3 years and you've already gone to the dark and gritty part of the story. XD

Actually, somebody's suggested to me that it's traditional for all of the Protectors to be male, but since the fathers died before the sons were "of age" the daughters took over instead.

I don't think PoE is female, mostly because it doesn't seem like a move LEGO would pull, mostly because the upper torso, which would turn out to be cleavage, would also be a weapon, and I don't think gatling boobs are kid-friendly ideas.

Actually, somebody's suggested to me that it's traditional for all of the Protectors to be male, but since the fathers died before the sons were "of age" the daughters took over instead.

Gatling-boobs? Seriously? :eyeboggle: Yeah, I think that LEGO isn't going for totally anatomically correct here, so I don't think we should ever expect things like that. I mean, maybe if the Protectors are mammals under their armor, then it'd make sense that they'd have breasts, but otherwise, why would they reasonably do that? Breasts' primary function is to feed infantile mammals, so in robotic beings, I just can't see that working out. I mean Gali's build gives a more feminine appearance, and the same could be said for the PoW (and possibly PoJ and PoS), but that's because of proportions and stuff like that.

As for that idea that some Protectors are female because of that, I like it. Maybe their fathers had kids later in life, and Skull Spiders picked them off easily. Dunno, but I'm really looking forward to the books. If they expand on the story in the way the earlier Gen1 books did, I'm very optimistic.

Ummm...   guys that female earth protector thing was a joke, we already know that it would be a stupid idea to make the earth protector female. Also D5 you just remind me of a person who gave Pohatu gatling boobs XD

Also speaking of books, hope we find out the protector name when the books come out and hope the name will not just be protector of water and not giving them real names.

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

Ummm... guys that female earth protector thing was a joke, we already know that it would be a stupid idea to make the earth protector female. Also D5 you just remind me of a person who gave Pohatu gatling boobs XD

Also speaking of books, hope we find out the protector name when the books come out and hope the name will not just be protector of water and not giving them real names.

It is entirely possible that they lose their names while serving as Protector, like presidents. Just as President Zuma can be addressed as 'Honorable President', Protector of Ice Eska could just be called 'protector' or 'protector of the ice village' for the length of her tenure, becoming Eska again after.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Ummm...   guys that female earth protector thing was a joke, we already know that it would be a stupid idea to make the earth protector female. Also D5 you just remind me of a person who gave Pohatu gatling boobs XD

Why Pohatu? He's the manliest around this time.

Ummm... guys that female earth protector thing was a joke, we already know that it would be a stupid idea to make the earth protector female. Also D5 you just remind me of a person who gave Pohatu gatling boobs XD

It is entirely possible that they lose their names while serving as Protector, like presidents. Just as President Zuma can be addressed as 'Honorable President', Protector of Ice Eska could just be called 'protector' or 'protector of the ice village' for the length of her tenure, becoming Eska again after.

I hope they at least give them matoran sounding names, like Ga-Mangai, for example, is Matoran for Protector of Water, it's still better though.

I hope they at least give them matoran sounding names, like Ga-Mangai, for example, is Matoran for Protector of Water, it's still better though.

Real talk: WHY do you feel names like "Ga-Mangai" would be better? It doesn't convey any more meaning than the basic Protector titles, and only serves to make things more confusing for new or young fans by introducing more terminology for them to have to memorize. I can understand the desire for giving the Protectors individual names (even though I don't agree that it's necessary), but simply replacing the titles with foreign-sounding titles creates confusion with no tangible benefit to offset that.

I think this XKCD strip is still relevant to the discussion.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 3

Real talk: WHY do you feel names like "Ga-Mangai" would be better? It doesn't convey any more meaning than the basic Protector titles, and only serves to make things more confusing for new or young fans by introducing more terminology for them to have to memorize. I can understand the desire for giving the Protectors individual names (even though I don't agree that it's necessary), but simply replacing the titles with foreign-sounding titles creates confusion with no tangible benefit to offset that.

I think you won this conversation, Lyichir. I think that the "dumbing down" of words used right now is good. I've said it before and I'll say it again, for the first month or so, my 6 y/o cousin was confused by the Toa's names. Adding in Matoran-sounding names doesn't even make sense, because they made sense in Gen1, with all the background they had, but in Gen2, not at all. I'm all for characters having their own names, but I also like the suggestion that they give up their name when they accept the role of Protector. Regardless, this is not gen1. There's no need to complicate things that are perfectly simple as they are.

:bowdown:

I don't know... I'd really like to see some gender diversity in the new wave.

Some people have pointed out that the Protector of Water doesn't "look feminine enough," and argued that that's reason enough to assume they're male. But wait a minute--these aren't humans, they're biomechanical beings from another universe! Who says they need to fit the human standard for feminine build? Guess who else didn't look feminine? Every single Toa of Water and Ga-Matoran from the first generation.

--

Regarding the biomechanical nature of the Protectors, the information we have so far does mention the "father to son" bit, which seems to imply that there is sexual reproduction (or at least some sort of biological reproduction) going on here. I find that kind of interesting. But of course mammals aren't the only ones to reproduce sexually in our universe. Maybe the Protectors' species is a bunch of lizard people or something. Guess who don't have breasts? Lizards.

• Upvote 4

banner.jpg

Some people have pointed out that the Protector of Water doesn't "look feminine enough," and argued that that's reason enough to assume they're male. But wait a minute--these aren't humans, they're biomechanical beings from another universe! Who says they need to fit the human standard for feminine build? Guess who else didn't look feminine? Every single Toa of Water and Ga-Matoran from the first generation.

--

Regarding the biomechanical nature of the Protectors, the information we have so far does mention the "father to son" bit, which seems to imply that there is sexual reproduction (or at least some sort of biological reproduction) going on here. I find that kind of interesting. But of course mammals aren't the only ones to reproduce sexually in our universe. Maybe the Protectors' species is a bunch of lizard people or something. Guess who don't have breasts? Lizards.

I like the way you think, friend. Of course, at this point, we have no idea what the Protectors' species is, let alone the Toa's. Are they mammalian? Reptilian? Completely organic wearing armor? Robots? We have no clue. I'm personally really interested in the past of the Toa. They seem to be from the past or future, but which one? Where are they from? I'm really hooked by Gen2, to say the least.

• Upvote 1

--

I like the way you think, friend. Of course, at this point, we have no idea what the Protectors' species is, let alone the Toa's. Are they mammalian? Reptilian? Completely organic wearing armor? Robots? We have no clue. I'm personally really interested in the past of the Toa. They seem to be from the past or future, but which one? Where are they from? I'm really hooked by Gen2, to say the least.

I know this is completely off-topic, but I can't resist--what if Gen 2 will follow in the footsteps of the Legend of Zelda? What if every year or few years we will be introduced to six new iterations of Tahu, Gali, Kopaka, and the gang, like the myriad Links and Zeldas of Hyrule and its relatives? That would allow for some sort of mythos tying them all together, giving hard fans something to drool over without interfering with the attractiveness of the sets and brand to children. But I digress.

Going back to the topic at hand (well, not quite), what I'd really love to see would be a female overarching villain at some point.

banner.jpg

--

I agree with you on some counts, but I do think the "they're not human, they don't need to look like us" argument is an oversimplification. No matter what species they are, we, the human viewers, are supposed to be able to relate to them. That's why they have humanoid hands, faces, legs, and arms. The idea of giving them other humanoid traits is certainly not off the table, whether or not those traits are useful or necessary from an in-story perspective.

But at the same time, I think the idea that the Protectors look overtly masculine, or that female ones should look overtly feminine, is silly. Not because of their species, but because of their dwarfish proportions and bulky armor. Why would anybody expect human-like gender differences to be clearly discernible on a figure with armor and proportions like that?

• Upvote 4

--

I agree with you on some counts, but I do think the "they're not human, they don't need to look like us" argument is an oversimplification. No matter what species they are, we, the human viewers, are supposed to be able to relate to them. That's why they have humanoid hands, faces, legs, and arms. The idea of giving them other humanoid traits is certainly not off the table, whether or not those traits are useful or necessary from an in-story perspective.

But at the same time, I think the idea that the Protectors look overtly masculine, or that female ones should look overtly feminine, is silly. Not because of their species, but because of their dwarfish proportions and bulky armor. Why would anybody expect human-like gender differences to be clearly discernible on a figure with armor and proportions like that?

Right! I have a comparison to make actually. So, in the Halo series, certain military operatives called SPARTANs wear MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor. Look at a comparison of a male and female in the same exact armor, and you'll see that while in their armor, their gender is not easily discerned. http://www.halopedia.org/images/6/66/Six_M-F_Comparison.png

The one on the left is male, while the one on the right is female. Now, the Bionicle armor is kind of like MJOLNIR on steroids. We can see little to nothing under the armor, so this really goes to show that the subtle visual differences between genders don't show through full body armor well.

Edited by Cwog
  • Upvote 3

--

Right! I have a comparison to make actually. So, in the Halo series, certain military operatives called SPARTANs wear MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor. Look at a comparison of a male and female in the same exact armor, and you'll see that while in their armor, their gender is not easily discerned. http://www.halopedia.org/images/6/66/Six_M-F_Comparison.png

The one on the left is male, while the one on the right is female. Now, the Bionicle armor is kind of like MJOLNIR on steroids. We can see little to nothing under the armor, so this really goes to show that the subtle visual differences between genders don't show through full body armor well.

Thank you so much! I actually wanted to make that exact same comparison in my own posts, but I'm not a Halo fan myself so I had no idea where to find a good comparison image.

This kind of subtle difference can be so hard to convey at a Protector or Matoran scale that there's often not much point in even bothering to make a distinction. Though for what it's worth, the Protector of Water's arms and legs are already more slender than those of the other Protectors, so if you WERE going to try and make a female Protector with these kinds of subtle distinctions... it probably would end up looking a lot like the Protector of Water anyhow.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 3

--

Thank you so much! I actually wanted to make that exact same comparison in my own posts, but I'm not a Halo fan myself so I had no idea where to find a good comparison image.

This kind of subtle difference can be so hard to convey at a Protector or Matoran scale that there's often not much point in even bothering to make a distinction. Though for what it's worth, the Protector of Water's arms and legs are already more slender than those of the other Protectors, so if you WERE going to try and make a female Protector without extremely exaggerated sexual traits... it probably would end up looking a lot like the Protector of Water anyhow.

Yeah, I can definitely see that the female SPARTAN's only visible differences are slightly slimmer thighs, calves, and arms, and a slightly narrower torso, which, as Aanchir pointed out, is hard to convey with Lego, especially with characters the size of Protectors. I think the very subtle differences in armor placement on both Gali and the Protector of Water are really as far as they can go.

In other words, "yeah, what they said."

banner.jpg