What is a "Rahi?"

This question came up over in my Simplifying the Species List topic, and now I'm kind of wondering what everyone has to say on it.

The living beings in the MU are divided up between Sapient Species and Rahi. The former category of course includes beings like Toa, Skakdi, and Vortixx, while the latter contains Muaka, Nui-Jaga, and Rock Raptors. It's a pretty easy distinction to make, even for someone who doesn't quite understand the meaning of "sapience." But then... we have the unusual cases. Airwatcher was known to capture rocks and trees and said to be extremely unintelligent. On the other hand, "Rahi" such as Krahka, Artahka Bulls, and Keetongu have exhibited all the traits of a sapient species, but still remain categorized as Rahi.

As a quick refresher, Dictionary.com defines Sapience as "having or showing... sound judgement." Obviously, creatures such as a Muaka live by instinct and make few judgments in their everyday lives. There is no right nor wrong to them, and intelligence below humanity. But to beings like Krahka and Keetongu, there is a right and wrong; they can choose which friends to help and foes to fight. They can even communicate with other sapient species.

So... is there an actual reason to this categorization? Is the definition of "Rahi" different from what we may call an animal? Are the terms "Rahi" and "Sapient Species" mutually exclusive? Or was this just an arbitrary decision that was not well thought out when put into canon?

• Upvote 2

This is what BS01 has to say on the matter:

Rahi are the fauna of the Matoran Universe, biomechanical creatures composed of organic and inorganic Protodermis. The term "Rahi" literally translates to "not us" in the Matoran language, more commonly translated to "wildlife". Rahi are generally classified with a lower intellect than the Sapient Species of the universe, acting primarily on instinct and out of a desire for basic needs such as food and shelter. They contain very little inner Light; enough to be drained, but not enough to have an effect on their judgment.

Some Rahi are able to wear powerless Kanohi, which can be infected by Kraata to subject the wearer to the Makuta's influence. Rahi may also be controlled by beings with the power of Rahi Control, or by users of the Mask of Rahi Control.
Most of the Rahi of the Matoran Universe were created by the Makuta, whose technique involved blending various Viruses in vats of Liquid Protodermis. Later, as the Brotherhood of Makuta became corrupt, they began to create Rahi for the organization's own use. A few Rahi in the Matoran Universe predated the Makuta, having been created by the Great Beings or other, earlier factions like the Hand of Artakha. A few other species of Rahi are the result of Energized Protodermis or other factors acting on pre-existing Rahi, sapient beings, or the environment. Many Rahi made the planet of Spherus Magna their new home after the operating systems of the Matoran Universe were rendered inoperable.

My guess is that all (or most) of the rahi species were created with the intent of them being animalistic wildlife, but that after their creation, some Rahi species might have developed/evolved/mutated heightened intelligence. 

To use one of your examples, the Krahka, recall that this species is able to gain some of the memories of those it takes the form of. Over time, I think it's plausible for it to have essentially learned sapience from the collected memories of those it copied. 
  • Upvote 7

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Rahi translates as 'not-us'. Perhaps we should consider all non-matoran species as Rahi to some degree, excepting those obviously placed above the matoran: Barraki, Makuta, Toa and Turaga. It would be impolite to refer to certain species, like Vortixx and Skakdu, as Rahi, as they have proven themselves as intelligent or more so than matoran.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Rahi translates as 'not-us'. Perhaps we should consider all non-matoran species as Rahi to some degree, excepting those obviously placed above the matoran: Barraki, Makuta, Toa and Turaga. It would be impolite to refer to certain species, like Vortixx and Skakdu, as Rahi, as they have proven themselves as intelligent or more so than matoran.

But how does then Faxon work?

For its ability it's crucial to know what is rahi and what isn't.

• Upvote 2

TOO LATE.

IT WAS ALWAYS TOO LATE.

Faxon would use the animal definition of the word. It isn't unheard of for a word to have two meanings depending on context. Rahi can indeed mean both 'non-matoran sentient' and 'animal'.

• Upvote 1

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Or maybe its just any creatire made with viruses(whatever "virus" means in the MU but that's a debate for another topic because you can't make animals out of earth viruses), seems like a pretty sumple explanation and includes the first rahi and those made by Makuta.

Edited by ToaKapura1234

Want to solve an exciting murder mystery? Try Murder Mansion II, a new game in Games and Trivia! 8 Spots remaining!

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/19274-murder-mansion/?do=findComment&comment=964351

Or whether Keetongu and Krahka could be compelled to the bidding of someone wearing a Mask of Rahi Control

I'm pretty sure Greg confirmed that as a no. 

3) Can Makuta/Stage 7 Rahi Control Rahkshi control Visorak/Keetongu?   

3) Visorak, yes, Keetongu would be more difficult. 

1) Why didn't Makuta use his power of Rahi Control when he was fighting Keetongu in BIONICLE Adventures 10: Time Trap?

I tend to doubt it would have helped much. Yes, Keetongu is a Rahi, but he is an intelligent Rahi like Krahka -- so while it would have had some effect, you are not dealing with a being with the standard Rahi level of intellect and willpower.

1.) I loved DiD 3. However, I have a question about the Mask of Rahi Control. What advantages does it offer over a Mask of Mind Control? I remember when the Mask of Flight was introduced, everybody assumed the Mask of Levitation was useless in comparison, but then you explained the differences and advantages both offer. So can you do the same here? 

Thanks a lot 

Mask of Mind Control can only be used on one target at a time. Mask of Rahi Control can be used on more than one, so for instance, you could use it on a small flock of Gukko and get all of them, rather than just one.

1. Can the Mask of Rahi Control control insects as well as Rahi?

1) Not as well

Hey, I just read DiD 3 and loved the Mask of Rahi Control. I sent this to you a couple days ago, but the sever must have eaten it. I just have some questions about it:

1)Where'd you get the idea for it?

2)What are the specifics of its powers? Such as:

a)The range of effect

b)Is it exactly like the Makuta power

c)Would a Makuta use the mask?

d)Can the Rahi fight back?

Thanks in advance .

1) From the list of Makuta powers

2) Rahi don't have that kind of willpower, other than maybe Krahka or Keetongu. A Makuta most likely wouldn't need to use it much, since they already have that power. I don't have a range for it, but it does work on multiple targets at once.

4. Is there a difference between the Mask of Mind Control and the Mask of Rahi Control? For instance, if you had the Mask of Mind Control, would you even need the Mask of Rahi Control?

4) Yes, because not all Rahi have that much of a mind to control

1. Would you consider the powers of rahi control and insect control types of mind control?

1) Yes

It's not as clear as I would like it to be. I remember that "mental differences" was established - the first Keetongu quote implies that for the original Makuta power, and since he got it from the list of Makuta powers, the limits probably apply to the mask. 

Just a side note Toa Turaga and any incarnation there of are still considered Matoran. The term Matoran is used to reference as both species as a whole and the beginning stage of Evolution. So Rahi meaning "not us" relates to any creature that does not fall under the Matoran lineage. Kind of why Bohrok are not called Rahi. General intelligence is not really a factor and thus why we have Rahi that can be more intelligent that even Toa. Also why we can have Matoran who are dumber than most rahi.

Known Matoran Types

Many different types of Matoran exist, each affiliated with a certain element of their universe. The Matoran have different stages of power; a few of them are predestined to become Toa, and possibly later Turaga, although they are still considered members of the Matoran species. However, some Toa, such as Helryx and Orde, had begun as Toa and never were Matoran. All Matoran have innate Elemental Powers, which are fully activated upon becoming a Toa. These powers are weak, manifesting themselves in small ways.

- http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Matoran#Known_Matoran_Types

So there is that... Like in our universe, there are intelligent species out there that are far more intelligent that us mere humans claim to be. Yet they are not thought to be sapient. Particularly perhaps due to the fact our species names is Homo sapien. The word apparently meaning "Wise" in Latin is right in the name of our species. It stands to reason a similar bias could be in place within the MU.

Edited by Prowl Nightwolf

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

This is a common question, and the simple answer is "the word 'Rahi' is used in different ways by different people in the Matoran Universe -- in other words, it's just a word." So, it's just like how words are often used differently in real life. :) And no one simple definition applies to every in-story character's usage of it, simply because they're using different definitions.

The old attempt "beings made by Makuta" fails because some were made by the Great Beings ("First Rahi") or the Order (Energy Hound).

"Not sapient" fails because of Keetongu, Krahka, and a few other apparent examples Greg has mentioned, like Kikanalo (probably actually a spectrum from rare but intelligent ones to common but less intelligent).

"No Makuta-made Rahi was originally sapient" fails because of Visorak. (It may apply to Krahka, but probably not to Keetongu.) They're a good example of the Matoran's special definition of it; even though they're as sapient (or close to it) as Matoran (apparently), the Matoran still see them as "not us" because they're not humanoid and don't speak a language that Matoran know.

But some have decided for practical purposes to make one definition that incorporates this, and that works, more or less, it's just not simple. :) Something like "Usually an animal created by Makuta, though some Rahi are sapient like Keetongu and some animals called Rahi weren't made by Makuta."

Short answer for how the subject came up for you (topic starter) is, you don't really need to worry about the word "Rahi" when trying to classify sapient species. :P Though I think it's simple enough to have a group called "Sapient Rahi" like Keets. :shrugs:

• Upvote 3

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

The most applicable definition is "something made with viruses and protodermis". That way it applies to non-Makuta made Rahi (Energy Hounds, presumably the First Rahi although they can likely be an exception anyway, etc.), but excludes Bara Magna creatures and rare cases like Elemental beings. Obviously the Matoran apply it to cases where, contextually, we know better than they do, but nobody said their classifications were perfect.
  • Upvote 2

Anything that's not a matoran has been called a Rahi.

Right and wrong, as I said earlier.

Well, those species native to Aqua magna have been called creatures.

That's because they are entirely organic life forms that arose from the natural environment of Spherus Magna. Therefore, they are a completely different class of being.

The way I see it, there are several fundamental types of being on Spherus Magna:

• Organic: Born of organic tissues on Spherus Magna, with no naturally occurring powers. Examples: Agori, Bone Hunters, Glatorian (Vorox), Great Beings, Skrall, and creatures.
  • Robot: Created from metals and inorganic materials (including protodermis) and programmed with artificial intelligence to carry out a function. Protodermic robots can be programmed with protodermic powers. Examples: Baterra, Bohrok, Maxilos, Nektann, Vahki, Great Spirit Robot(s).
  • Protodermic (Sapient): Created from organic and solid protodermis by the Great Beings or Mata Nui to fill civilized roles in the Matoran Universe. Can be programmed with protodermic powers, including fusion. Examples: Matoran/Toa/Turaga, Kestora, Skakdi, Vortixx, and the many unnamed species.
  • Antidermic (Makuta): Created from antidermis by Mata Nui to create and monitor other antidermic beings in the Matoran Universe. Chemically unstable; can be programmed with many protodermic powers, including diffusion. Vulnerable to the Golden Armor. Examples: Makuta, Kraata, Rahkshi.
  • Antidermic (Rahi): Created from viruses (a substance chemically similar to antidermis) and liquid protodermis by the Makuta or other beings (e.g. Artakha, Great Beings, Hand of Artakha) to fill ecological roles in the Matoran Universe. Can be programmed with protodermic powers. Subject to Rahi Control and the Kanohi Faxon. Examples: First Rahi, Energy Hounds, Muaka, Krahka, etc.
  • Elemental: Beings who are or have become one with the elemental forces of the universe. Examples: Element Lords, Avohkah, Vatuka, and the two elemental beings seen in Web of the Visorak.
  • Other: ??? Examples: Annona, Energized Protodermis.

This grouping relies on a few headcanon details, and it may not be perfect, but it makes sense to me.

Edited by ALVIS
  • Upvote 2
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Well, those species native to Aqua magna have been called creatures.

That's because they are entirely organic life forms that arose from the natural environment of Spherus Magna. Therefore, they are a completely different class of being.

The way I see it, there are several fundamental types of being on Spherus Magna:

• Organic: Born of organic tissues on Spherus Magna, with no naturally occurring powers. Examples: Agori, Bone Hunters, Glatorian (Vorox), Great Beings, Skrall, and creatures.
  • Protodermic: Created from organic and solid protodermis by the Great Beings or Mata Nui to fill civilized roles in the Matoran Universe. Can be programmed with protodermic powers, including fusion. Examples: Matoran/Toa/Turaga, Kestora, Skakdi, Vortixx, and the many unnamed species.
  • Antidermic (Makuta): Created from antidermis by Mata Nui to create and monitor other antidermic beings in the Matoran Universe. Chemically unstable; can be programmed with many protodermic powers, including diffusion. Vulnerable to the Golden Armor. Examples: Makuta, Kraata, Rahkshi.
  • Antidermic (Rahi): Created from viruses (a substance chemically similar to antidermis) and liquid protodermis by the Makuta or other beings (e.g. Artakha, Great Beings, Hand of Artakha) to fill ecological roles in the Matoran Universe. Can be programmed with protodermic powers. Subject to Rahi Control and the Kanohi Faxon. Examples: First Rahi, Energy Hounds, Muaka, Krahka, etc.
  • Elemental: Beings who are or have become one with the elemental forces of the universe. Examples: Element Lords, Avohkah, Vatuka, and the two elemental beings seen in Web of the Visorak.
  • Other: ??? Examples: Annona, Energized Protodermis.
This grouping relies on a few headcanon details, and it may not be perfect, but it makes sense to me.

Good job. It's highly likly that the beings of the MU arose from separate ancestors.

Antidermic (Rahi): Created from viruses (a substance chemically similar to antidermis) and liquid protodermis by the Makuta or other beings (e.g. Artakha, Great Beings, Hand of Artakha) to fill ecological roles in the Matoran Universe. Can be programmed with protodermic powers. Subject to Rahi Control and the Kanohi Faxon. Examples: First Rahi, Energy Hounds, Muaka, Krahka, etc.

You may be on to something here, although the name you gave this is questionable, since Rahi are not made out of antidermis. But it got me thinking -- maybe something all Rahi have in common is not being made with "spawning machines" (like Matoran), and the other non-Rahi beings always are?

It hardly matters once they're made, but presumably every being made with a spawner is sapient. With Rahi it just depends on the species. Probably all Rahi were originally supposed to be non-sapient and all beings made in spawners would be sapient, but the Makuta decided to make sapient ones too. :shrugs:

Of course, since we don't know how spawners work, we can't necessarily rule out that they work the same as Makuta viruses, I suppose, although I think the fact that there's a difference strongly implies not so. And Tren Krom wouldn't fit in this... but yeah.

• Upvote 4

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Antidermic (Rahi): Created from viruses (a substance chemically similar to antidermis) and liquid protodermis by the Makuta or other beings (e.g. Artakha, Great Beings, Hand of Artakha) to fill ecological roles in the Matoran Universe. Can be programmed with protodermic powers. Subject to Rahi Control and the Kanohi Faxon. Examples: First Rahi, Energy Hounds, Muaka, Krahka, etc.

You may be on to something here, although the name you gave this is questionable, since Rahi are not made out of antidermis.

I chose to use the label "antidermic" for two reasons: one, because viruses are apparently similar to antidermis; and two, because I like the symmetry of Makuta and Rahi both being tied to antidermis. It strengthens the bond between the creator and the created. But that's just my personal perspective on the mythos, of course.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Antidermic (Rahi): Created from viruses (a substance chemically similar to antidermis) and liquid protodermis by the Makuta or other beings (e.g. Artakha, Great Beings, Hand of Artakha) to fill ecological roles in the Matoran Universe. Can be programmed with protodermic powers. Subject to Rahi Control and the Kanohi Faxon. Examples: First Rahi, Energy Hounds, Muaka, Krahka, etc.

You may be on to something here, although the name you gave this is questionable, since Rahi are not made out of antidermis.

I chose to use the label "antidermic" for two reasons: one, because viruses are apparently similar to antidermis; and two, because I like the symmetry of Makuta and Rahi both being tied to antidermis. It strengthens the bond between the creator and the created. But that's just my personal perspective on the mythos, of course.

The energy hound were made by the OoMN, and the First Rahi by the GBs. Not to say they weren't made by proto+virus, but that they could be different from makuta-rahi

Something's a Rahi if it's not a matoran. Simple. It's rude to call other sentients Rahi, but it's still technically true, like referring to another human as an ape.

• Upvote 1

Antidermic (Rahi): Created from viruses (a substance chemically similar to antidermis) and liquid protodermis by the Makuta or other beings (e.g. Artakha, Great Beings, Hand of Artakha) to fill ecological roles in the Matoran Universe. Can be programmed with protodermic powers. Subject to Rahi Control and the Kanohi Faxon. Examples: First Rahi, Energy Hounds, Muaka, Krahka, etc.

The energy hound were made by the OoMN, and the First Rahi by the GBs. Not to say they weren't made by proto+virus, but that they could be different from makuta-rahi

Yes, I'm aware of who created the Energy Hounds and the First Rahi. You underestimate the amount of time I spend on BS01. :P But I included them in the same category, because, otherwise, why would they be recognized as Rahi by the Rahi Control power? I like for things to fit into neat categories. It's all about internal consistency.

@ bonesiii: I knew I was forgetting someone! I would group Tren Krom, Artakha, Karzahni, and Umbra in a group of unique protodermic beings, who don't belong to any set species.

• Upvote 1
-- Harlan Ellison

Maybe it refers to creatures that aren't civilized. For example, Skakdi have their own society and everything, so a Matoran could reasonably interact on the same level with a Skakdi (Well, Skakdi would be Skakdi, but you know what I mean) and therefore would not classify them as Rahi. Intelligent Rahi are smart, yes, but they don't have any form of civilization, they still live like the other Rahi. If a bunch of them built a city, established their own society, and started reaching out to other civilizations, they would surely lose the "Rahi" tag.

• Upvote 3

aouROFb.png

^city building creatures.

Perhaps matoran think very highly of themselves, and see any species who are not matoran as little more than beasts. After all we don't have many examples of matoran treating non matoran civilizations equally?

With races like the Skakdi and Vortixx, this is understandable. But what if the matorans "brothers" the Zyglak?

Edited by ToaSalvus

Something's a Rahi if it's not a matoran. Simple. It's rude to call other sentients Rahi, but it's still technically true, like referring to another human as an ape.

thats the definition of rahi, "not us".

Precisely. That's why I keep using two definitions. Rahi are both civilized non-matoran and animalistic biomech.

• Upvote 1

thats the definition of rahi, "not us".

No, "not us" means "not who we (Matoran) see as like us." It includes many non-Matoran.

Again, folks, it's really simple (and not simple :P) -- the Matoran have one definition, the Makuta another, and possibly the GBs another.

A Rahi is whatever a Matoran says is a Rahi. Usually what an Onu-Matoran says is a Rahi, to be more specific - they spend their entire lives keeping track of Rahi, it makes sense they know what they are. :P

My name is Prowl Nightwolf and I approve this message.

Maybe it refers to creatures that aren't civilized. For example, Skakdi have their own society and everything, so a Matoran could reasonably interact on the same level with a Skakdi (Well, Skakdi would be Skakdi, but you know what I mean) and therefore would not classify them as Rahi. Intelligent Rahi are smart, yes, but they don't have any form of civilization, they still live like the other Rahi. If a bunch of them built a city, established their own society, and started reaching out to other civilizations, they would surely lose the "Rahi" tag.

This could be a viable idea. Along with the term Bones put up about the Matoran having a high opinion of themselves and anyone who is not good enough are "not us" or "not like us" are referred to as Rahi.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Again, folks, it's really simple (and not simple :P) -- the Matoran have one definition, the Makuta another, and possibly the GBs another.

But that doesn't mean that any one of these given definitions are 100% accurate, or that the definition itself hasn't changed over time. We have concrete examples where Matoran would call something a "Rahi" that isn't actually a Rahi (i.e. the fauna of Spherus Magna, at least originally); I thought the purpose of this topic was to take all of those things into account and find a more consistent definition.

The literal translation is, yes, "not us", but that's a language issue and not a taxonomic standard. Powers like Rahi Control might apply, but then you also have the Zatth, which summoned organic creatures when they were in the Endless Ocean, so Rahi Control might well have the same broad usage.

I'm still going to say the biological definition is things made with Viruses and Protodermis, because anything that comes from that is definitely a Rahi. Anything else is a language thing.

• Upvote 1

Doesn't the fact of that unclear and different usage of the term "rahi" by matoran and in mask syntax disprove the hypothesis of "matoran language is a programming one"?

No, because we're talking about the language Matoran actually used. A different computer can have a different definition for a word than my computer can. That doesn't mean either computer is defunct.

But that doesn't mean that any one of these given definitions are 100% accurate, or that the definition itself hasn't changed over time.

Most likely they are products of change over time. The GBs' idea would be original, obviously, and the Makuta may have altered it a bit, and the Matoran later as well. I doubt the GBs ever told the Matoran to have a weird definition of it. :)

Matoran would call something a "Rahi" that isn't actually a Rahi

Bit of an issue with that wording -- this is a word, and words and their meanings are made up by beings. Within the story, the Matoran's definition is just as valid as any other, but not as true (likely) to the GBs' intent. So instead of "actually" it would be better to say "Matoran would call something a Rahi that the Great Beings wouldn't."

Mjolnitor, on 07 Apr 2015 - 5:01 PM, said:snapback.png

Doesn't the fact of that unclear and different usage of the term "rahi" by matoran and in mask syntax disprove the hypothesis of "matoran language is a programming one"?

No, because we're talking about the language Matoran actually used. A different computer can have a different definition for a word than my computer can. That doesn't mean either computer is defunct.

And Matoran being a programming language wasn't a theory to be disproven; it was revealed by Greg. :)

Basically, you're confusing primitive programming languages with advanced, adaptable ones. Given that it is spoken by beings that were intended to be "partially sapient", we should expect it to be highly advanced and adaptable (even before the full sapience update).