2016: What do you want?

Cwog

I remember for the first little while thinking that Metru Nui was in the same ocean as Mata Nui. It would be refreshing for that to be the case for the second island of Gen 2, if and when that happens.

Three-finger Island, anyone?

That depended on the giant robot concept, and there's nothing yet to suggest that's being reused.

But there'd be nothing wrong with a second island in the same ocean.

I remember for the first little while thinking that Metru Nui was in the same ocean as Mata Nui. It would be refreshing for that to be the case for the second island of Gen 2, if and when that happens.

Three-finger Island, anyone?

That depended on the giant robot concept, and there's nothing yet to suggest that's being reused.

But there'd be nothing wrong with a second island in the same ocean.

Nothing wrong at all, and I'm counting on it! Maybe the Protectors' heirs and the Toa can go explore the sea, and battle sea-monsters one year, then get to another island the next year? That'd be awesome.

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

Maybe for next year, our group of villians could be inspired by villians of yesteryear, like one rahkshi, one piraka, one bohrok, one visorak, etc.

^I'm with you. The spiritual reincarnation of some classic villain sets, like the rahkshi or the Piraka, would be really cool.

I'd also like to see machines and vehicles come back as well.

I sincerely doubt that the villains would be modeled after very story-specific gen1 villains. New fans wouldn't understand, and the group would lack the visual unity that those individual waves had. As for machines and vehicles, I really didn't like those back in 2009. There were too many, and for the most part, they were driven by unimportant characters. I think it would be better if we stuck to impressive characters, not a vehicle and some marginal background character.

• Upvote 1

Maybe for next year, our group of villians could be inspired by villians of yesteryear, like one rahkshi, one piraka, one bohrok, one visorak, etc.

^I'm with you. The spiritual reincarnation of some classic villain sets, like the rahkshi or the Piraka, would be really cool.

I'd also like to see machines and vehicles come back as well.

I sincerely doubt that the villains would be modeled after very story-specific gen1 villains. New fans wouldn't understand, and the group would lack the visual unity that those individual waves had. As for machines and vehicles, I really didn't like those back in 2009. There were too many, and for the most part, they were driven by unimportant characters. I think it would be better if we stuck to impressive characters, not a vehicle and some marginal background character.

Machines and vehicles don't necessarily mean the complex behemoths like Axalara and Jetrax. A boxor-like machine is what I'm talking about. It gave the old matoran a fighting chance against the bohrok, which were similar to the skull spiders we have now. I guess my point is that something built by the Okoto islanders as a defense mechanism could work in gen 2.

Edited by Akuna Toa of Sonics
  • Upvote 1

Laughing_Man_Icon_by_CoyoteTracks.gif

Does anyone want to play the Master Chief Collection with me? I'm trying to get a team going for ranked. PM for GT.

I would love to see more vehicles. They're a great way to add play potential to figures, and a neat way to flesh out the world a bit beyond the characters alone. They can be great for reuse of dedicated weapon parts. And perhaps most importantly, they can help to fill a gap left by the modern Lego Technic theme, which totally eschews fantasy/sci-fi vehicles in favor of realistic vehicles and machinery. It says a lot that perhaps my favorite "Powered Up" mode for any of the Toa is Gali's, which combines her axe blades with the Protector's blaster to form a neat diving propulsion vehicle.

On top of all that, when thinking about how Bionicle minifigures could be integrated into Lego Dimensions, it occurred to me that the new theme does not yet offer much that would work well for vehicles or mini-models. No vehicles, no rideable animals... without some content that would work as supplementary models, I fear that the chances of seeing Bionicle expansions for the game might be even slimmer.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

The Toa Masters becomes The Toa Grand Masters (Nuva Versions)

Villagers/Matoran as the Winter Small Sets.  

The Raptors/Rakhshi as the Villain Sets.

Makuta released as a Summer Big Villain set. 

Takanuva mysterious shown up at the end of the 2016 story arc. ;)

• Upvote 1

I would love to see more vehicles. They're a great way to add play potential to figures, and a neat way to flesh out the world a bit beyond the characters alone. They can be great for reuse of dedicated weapon parts. And perhaps most importantly, they can help to fill a gap left by the modern Lego Technic theme, which totally eschews fantasy/sci-fi vehicles in favor of realistic vehicles and machinery.

I would absolutely love to see full-scale vehicles make a comeback. The second wave of 2009 was one of my favourites because of all the amazing vehicles we got. I guess we won't be seeing any Skopio-scale vehicles anytime soon, but a couple of smaller ones for a price of 30$-40$ could be really neat.

Edited by doodleloot

Hail Denmark

The Toa Masters becomes The Toa Grand Masters (Nuva Versions)

I really like this terminology; it has a nice martial-arts type feel to it.

Other than that, perhaps a bit more variety in functions among the humanoid characters. Can't really think of anything else offhand.

Edited by Dark_Stranger

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

I feel like a lot of the things that have been suggested in this thread would be great for this new 2nd generation of Bionicle, but I think at the same time we're thinking a bit too inside the box. I definitely don't think they'll be bringing back huge vehicles any time soon, but just imagine how awesome that would be. The new CCBS style combined with some classic Technic would be amazing, and I think it would definitely help pull some AFOLs into the Gen 2 line.

Another thing I'd really like to see would be actual titans. Maybe not on the level of Toa Mata Nui or Takanuva, but remember just how awesome Axonn and Brutaka were, or Roodaka and Sidorak, or Lhikan and Kikanalo? Heck, even Teridax's original Makuta design holds up today as just an all-around bad dude. I want that feeling again. And again, LEGO could bring back some design elements and themes from old-style Bionicle sets to draw in old fans and AFOLs who might now be put off by the more simplistic and kid-oriented designs.

Just food for thought.

Edited by Sycophantic Wizard P~M

banner.jpg

I feel like a lot of the things that have been suggested in this thread would be great for this new 2nd generation of Bionicle, but I think at the same time we're thinking a bit too inside the box. I definitely don't think they'll be bringing back huge vehicles any time soon, but just imagine how awesome that would be. The new CCBS style combined with some classic Technic would be amazing, and I think it would definitely help pull some AFOLs into the Gen 2 line.

Another thing I'd really like to see would be actual titans. Maybe not on the level of Toa Mata Nui or Takanuva, but remember just how awesome Axonn and Brutaka were, or Roodaka and Sidorak, or Lhikan and Kikanalo? Heck, even Teridax's original Makuta design holds up today as just an all-around bad dude. I want that feeling again. And again, LEGO could bring back some design elements and themes from old-style Bionicle sets to draw in old fans and AFOLs who might now be put off by the more simplistic and kid-oriented designs.

Just food for thought.

As for larger villains, Skull Grinder would technically be $20 if he weren't bundled with Ekimu. I know that's not totally what you meant, but he's a large, tough bad-guy who doesn't seem afraid to crack some ribs.

Just food for thought.

As for larger villains, Skull Grinder would technically be $20 if he weren't bundled with Ekimu. I know that's not totally what you meant, but he's a large, tough bad-guy who doesn't seem afraid to crack some ribs.

I don't know--Skull Grinder's cool, I guess, but he just seems like a skeleton with some random armor and crud slapped on. I guess the skeleton part is intentional? but I just feel like the CCBS Bionicle doesn't translate so well to larger sets without going full-on super-size--if you want beefy legs, your only real choice is to click some beefy armor on, and the CCBS armor system just feels so flimsy. I guess I'm just overly nostalgic and stuck in the past, but I want my old titans back, dangit!

banner.jpg

Bionicle would be an excellent place to introduce doubled or bulkier CCBS bones. Though Onua pulls off the bulk quite nicely, you can see that they couldn't make him much larger without ruining his proportions completely.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

A skull spider pack would be nice. Like, a box with three of the silver ones, two blue ones and a lime one. So you can build your own army of creepy/cute little arachnoids at a cheap price. But I guess, if it had to happen, it would have happened this year. Oh well.

Personally I'd like to see Lewa, Gali and Pohatu donning golden armor parts next year, like Onua, Tahu and Kopaka do now (of course, these three are going to have no golden parts, to compensate). Then, maybe, but this is a really maybe-y maybe, to 'surpass gold', like someone said in another thread, Lego could introduce in our heroes metallic variants of normally non-metallic colors. Like metallic red (copper, I guess), metallic brown (bronze), metallic blue, metallic green, metallic teal and so on.

Bohrok-like insectoid enemies, coming in great numbers story-wise, would also be appreciated.

Bohrok-like insectoid enemies, coming in great numbers story-wise, would also be appreciated.

Skull spiders? They're literally the same thing as the Bohrok Swarms, with a different motivation, no elemental powers and less screen-time.

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Skull spiders? They're literally the same thing as the Bohrok Swarms, with a different motivation, no elemental powers and less screen-time.

While what you say is true, the Bohrok swarms had a lot more aesthetic, something the minuscule skull spiders could not even dream of. And perhaps most of the swarm-enemies that came after the Bohrok, too, with the exception of the Rahkshi, but we didn't see Rahkshi in really large groups until 2010. The Vahki were not that much. Visorak were cool - and I think there is more affiliation between Visorak and SS than between Bohrok and SS, because, you know, spiders - but the Bohrok had a unique feel to them that the SS lack and that would be nice to, well, feel again.

• Upvote 1

Lego should definitely bring in some legit villains- Like the Rahkshi for the Toa Nuva, the Piraka for the Toa Inika,and the Barraki for the Toa Mahri. And they should make some matoran sets. But other than that, I think that Lego's on a good track for restoring Bionicle to it's former glory. 

Lego should definitely bring in some legit villains- Like the Rahkshi for the Toa Nuva, the Piraka for the Toa Inika,and the Barraki for the Toa Mahri. And they should make some matoran sets. But other than that, I think that Lego's on a good track for restoring Bionicle to it's former glory. 

"In this new- Wait, why am I being quoted?!"

-Kovika, Toa of Ice, Bread Enthusiast, and Ko-Metru Scholar.

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

1) Your comment got doubled. Don't know if you intended that, but you might wanna fix that.

2) What in all of Okoto do you mean "legit villains"? Are you implying that the skull villains are not real villains? That just doesn't make sense, at all. They were designed to face the Toa in the City of the Mask Makers. They are as legit as you can get.

What in all of Okoto do you mean "legit villains"? Are you implying that the skull villains are not real villains? That just doesn't make sense, at all. They were designed to face the Toa in the City of the Mask Makers. They are as legit as you can get.

He probably just means enemies on the Toa's level of size and power who can pose a real threat to them. The skull spiders haven't been much of a challenge, and even Lord of Skull Spiders was beaten without much difficulty in the most recent animation.

What in all of Okoto do you mean "legit villains"? Are you implying that the skull villains are not real villains? That just doesn't make sense, at all. They were designed to face the Toa in the City of the Mask Makers. They are as legit as you can get.

He probably just means enemies on the Toa's level of size and power who can pose a real threat to them. The skull spiders haven't been much of a challenge, and even Lord of Skull Spiders was beaten without much difficulty in the most recent animation.

I bolded what's important here. The Skull villains! You know, Grinder, Scorpio, Slicer, Basher, and Warrior? The August sets?

I bolded what's important here. The Skull villains! You know, Grinder, Scorpio, Slicer, Basher, and Warrior? The August sets?

We haven't seen them in action yet.

We haven't seen them in action yet.

Yes, and just by that statement alone, you have basically proven that you can't make judgements on them, such as calling them not "legit villains".

Perhaps he was refering to their looks?

Alright, but in my mind, a lot of these villains' flaws are actually shared by the Barraki. Not a whole lot of armor, totally different from each other... If this guy likes the Barraki, I don't understand why he doesn't like the 2015 villains, or at least respect them enough to call them "legit".

Maybe he doesn't like the Barraki. BTW, the Skull Villains are more boney and creepy than the Barraki IMO. Their sets don't exactly radiate Terdiaxian intelligence, however - they look like mindless zombies. 

Your point about their apparent intelligence makes me think again that it's far to soon to judge these sets.

Even if the Skull Villains are mindless drones, that's not that different from the vast majority of Bionicle's villains. The Bohrok-Kal were the only canister-sized villains with any semblance of a personality for the entire first half of the original theme's run, and even their personalities were not even slightly expressed by the clone builds they had to make do with. Even if the Skull Villains do turn out to be unable to speak outside of moans and grunts (still far from a guarantee), their diverse builds and weaponry imply a wide range of movement and fighting styles.

I certainly wouldn't mind getting distinct, well-developed villain characters later in the theme's run. But for now, the inexperienced and untested Toa can still offer plenty of storytelling potential even when facing drone-like villains.

• Upvote 2

Even in 2001 we got a glimpse of Makuta, albeit highly camouflaged. I'd think that there has to be some sort of intelligence that gets revealed behind the drones eventually.

Drones are OK for sets. But I have to ask why they are trying to mimic the early years of Bionicle, right down to the golden masks and drones, almost at the expense of any new approach they could use.  

Even in 2001 we got a glimpse of Makuta, albeit highly camouflaged. I'd think that there has to be some sort of intelligence that gets revealed behind the drones eventually.

Drones are OK for sets. But I have to ask why they are trying to mimic the early years of Bionicle, right down to the golden masks and drones, almost at the expense of any new approach they could use.  

Part of it is probably that they are trying to recapture the old fans, but I think the new wave has done a good job so far of striking its own path while staying close to home in spirit, which in my opinion is good.

banner.jpg

I hope in Irnakk.

I'm going to assume that what you mean is "I'm hoping for Irnakk"... I don't think, or even like the idea of bringing back random gen1 characters. We've been down that road before. Let's pave a new one.

I hope in Irnakk.

I'm going to assume that what you mean is "I'm hoping for Irnakk"... I don't think, or even like the idea of bringing back random gen1 characters. We've been down that road before. Let's pave a new one.

It was just a joke, heh. You know, the guy likes skulls. All G2 enemies so far are skull-related.

Whatever.

I hope in Irnakk.

It was just a joke, heh. You know, the guy likes skulls. All G2 enemies so far are skull-related.

Whatever.

Didn't pick up on that. Sorry.

They aren't mimicking, per se, but rather taking inspiration. 2001's main villains were possessed Rahi, whereas now we have... mind-controlled spiders, maybe? We don't know if the Skull Spiders are really good or bad; we know that the LoSS has taken control over them with the Golden Mask of Skull Spiders.

As for the golden masks, they're different, while also taking inspiration from the 5 masks the Toa each had to find in 2001. Those masks increased their strength, and were hidden by the Turaga a thousand years ago to test the Toa. However, the new Golden Masks aren't tests. They're essential to the Toa's quests to find Ekimu before evil forces. There's just enough inspiration to get the Bionicle feel. Much less, and I think we'd be dealing with another line entirely. However, I do not want many more old characters coming back.

If, and this is a big if, they bring in any G1 characters, it'd have to be Takua (not Takanuva) as a protector, since there are very few other iconic names that they can bring back without treading on G1's toes.

Okay, but we've gotten MORE than a glimpse of Makuta in the current story; we've seen a very clear depiction of him in the animations. In terms of sets, 2001 lacked ANY portrayal of Makuta himself, unless you count the infected Hau that came in Muaka and Kane-Ra.

I don't think they're trying to mimic the old years of Bionicle directly with the "drone enemies". Rather, I think "drone enemies" are just an effective set of foes for the start of a theme like Bionicle. At this point, new fans are still just getting to know the Toa themselves. They don't need a set of foes with their own complex and diverse personalities to be foisted on them before they've even gotten used to the story's heroes. A good story employs rising action as it goes on, which in terms of a toyline like Bionicle means that more intelligent and challenging foes should be reserved for when the Toa have become more competent and worked out some of their early difficulties.

Beyond that, the Skull Villains aren't necessarily "drones". Even if they don't turn out to have complex personalities, their diverse weapons, builds, and skills make them seem like they'll be more like enemy armies in stories like Lord of the Rings. The Toa might not understand their vocalizations or have much of a chance to exchange banter in the first place, but that doesn't mean that their foes don't fight as individuals and engage in more complex and specialized tactics than simply swarming and overwhelming whoever stands in their way.

• Upvote 3

Rather, I think "drone enemies" are just an effective set of foes for the start of a theme like Bionicle. At this point, new fans are still just getting to know the Toa themselves. They don't need a set of foes with their own complex and diverse personalities to be foisted on them before they've even gotten used to the story's heroes.

The Morbuzahk in early 2004 is another example of a villain that's minor enough to leave nearly all the spotlight for the heroes to be introduced in.

• Upvote 1