Three LEGO Ideas Projects Get 10,000 Supporters

There has been a lot of activity on LEGO Ideas lately, as three different projects have recently received enough supporters to make it to the next LEGO Review. First up, last week the International Space Station achieved it's orbit of 10,000 supporters. Next, The Golden Girls project, based on the 1980s show, reached its mark in less than a month. Hot on its heels was Legend of Zelda: King of Red Lions Play Set, yet another Zelda set to get enough supporters. These are some cool looking models, and it'll be interesting to see how they all do going forward.

View the full article

I never thought in my entire life that there was a possibility that the Golden Girls would be getting a Lego set.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I already own an ISS from back when Lego had the NASA license, and I thought it worked better at a micro scale. Sets based off of sitcoms just do not seem that fun to me, regardless of whether or not I like the show. The one that I hope passes this round of reviews is the Zelda one. Since Zelda projects keep on meeting their goals, I hope that Lego will get that there is a lot of demand for them.

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

I feel like this isn't the first Zelda project to make it to this stage, and I doubt it will fare much better than the previous projects. The ISS is my favorite since I love the science based ones, though I can't say what chances it has of making it past review. Golden Girls is just a room with some minifigs which means it will probably go on to become a set.

BZPRPG

The ISS and Legend of Zelda sets both look really cool. The Golden Girls set looks alright, but then again I haven't seen any of the show myself. So that may explain why I'm not too excited about it. :P

Anyways, I wish all of these good luck in the review stage!

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

This is the fourth Zelda project to make it to the review, right? If this one doesn't pass, Lego should really consider buying the rights and making a full Zelda theme, since it's pretty obvious that a lot of people would buy this.

The issue with Zelda proposals (and the most likely reason why the license isn't viewed as untenable despite three failed projects) is that Nintendo likely has a clear standard for how they want their characters depicted, and in the absence of a new mold for Link's iconic hat/hair/ears, Lego Ideas can't meet that standard.

I'd love to see an official Zelda theme, but a traditional licensed theme (new molds and all) requires a much larger audience than Lego Ideas sets, which can profit off of a small niche appeal due to smaller production runs. I'll keep holding out hope, but I doubt Lego Ideas will ever bring the results I want for that license.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

This is the fourth Zelda project to make it to the review, right? If this one doesn't pass, Lego should really consider buying the rights and making a full Zelda theme, since it's pretty obvious that a lot of people would buy this.

The issue with Zelda proposals (and the most likely reason why the license isn't viewed as untenable despite three failed projects) is that Nintendo likely has a clear standard for how they want their characters depicted, and in the absence of a new mold for Link's iconic hat/hair/ears, Lego Ideas can't meet that standard.

I'd love to see an official Zelda theme, but a traditional licensed theme (new molds and all) requires a much larger audience than Lego Ideas sets, which can profit off of a small niche appeal due to smaller production runs. I'll keep holding out hope, but I doubt Lego Ideas will ever bring the results I want for that license.

I still think it's possible that Zelda could be a full licensed theme. Zelda is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises, so I wouldn't say it has 'niche' appeal. Hopefully these projects (even if the Red Lions project doesn't pass) will at least get Lego to entertain the idea of a full theme.