Enter the LEGO Dimension

A new LEGO videogame has been announced! Polygon has the full story on LEGO Dimensions a new toy-meets-game in the style of Skylanders, Disney Infinity, and Nintendo Amiibos. The game will be coming out for Xbox 360 and One, Playstation 3 and 4, and the Wii U and will retail for $99.99 according to the Toys 'R' Us website. The package will include a LEGO toy pad, bricks to make a LEGO Gateway, a LEGO Batmobile, and three minifigs: Batman, Gandalf and Wyldstyle. I look forward to hearing more about this game, the concept sounds like it would be quite awesome!

View the full article

"Enter the worlds of Lego Dimensions, where the only rule is that there are no rules!"

Technically, if there were no rules, you shouldn't have the one and only rule that there are no rules. If a rule that there are no rules existed, the original rule wouldn't be allowed, therefore nullifying the need for there to be no rules. If that was the case, you could start over by making another rule, but in view of history normally repeating it's mistakes we can assume that the new rule would be that there are no rules, starting the circle again and continuing into an infinite recycling of rules.

9cf.jpg

Edited by bionicleFanatic
  • Upvote 2

cLT23Pz.png

YESSS!!! :br:  :happydance:  :D 

THIS IS BETTER THAN LEGO UNIVERSE!!!

Also, here's a quick reference of confirmed characters who will be in Fun Packs, Level Packs, Team Packs, or the Starter Pack.

DC Comics
  • Batman
  • Wonder Woman
  • Cyborg
Back to the Future
  • Marty McFly
Ninjago
  • Kai
  • Jay
  • Cole
  • Zane
  • Nya
The Lord of the Rings
  • Gandalf
  • Gollum
  • Gimli
  • Lego Legolas. (Or Legless Lego Legolas if you take off his legs. :P)
The Lego Movie
  • Emmet
  • Wyldstyle
  • Bad Cop/Good Cop
  • Benny
  • Unikitty

The Wizard of Oz

• Wicked Witch of the West

I wonder if there will be free-build worlds, like the properties in Lego Universe. Because that would make this game perfect. And the best part is, if Lego stops making additions to this game and stops selling it, unlike Lego Universe, you will still be able to play the game!!! :D

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

This looks interesting.Also,after getting the starter pack,could you theoretically use any of your own minifigures in the game(unless the figures can't be taken off their stands)?

I would assume that the stands are what activate the character in the game, and the minifigures themselves don't do anything. I certainly hope the minifig legs aren't glued to the stands. It is possible, though, that the minifigure's legs have some sort of electrical/magnetic stuff going on that the stands detect, which would make the stands interchangeable between the figures. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

This looks interesting.Also,after getting the starter pack,could you theoretically use any of your own minifigures in the game(unless the figures can't be taken off their stands)?

I would assume that the stands are what activate the character in the game, and the minifigures themselves don't do anything. I certainly hope the minifig legs aren't glued to the stands. It is possible, though, that the minifigure's legs have some sort of electrical/magnetic stuff going on that the stands detect, which would make the stands interchangeable between the figures. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I just noticed that the stands for the characters in the starter pack are specially decorated(perhaps hinting non-interchangeability for figures  :crying: ).I wonder of LEGO thought about that already,because why sell other additional packs(seen in Dimensions page on LEGO products) if you could just replace the figures on the stands for any of your own?Oh well.Not that I was sure of being able to get it anyways.

:ninja:  

Eh...I'll hold my judgement until the reviews. A Lego game hasn't been good since Lego Batman.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I just noticed that the stands for the characters in the starter pack are specially decorated(perhaps hinting non-interchangeability for figures  :crying: ).I wonder of LEGO thought about that already,because why sell other additional packs(seen in Dimensions page on LEGO products) if you could just replace the figures on the stands for any of your own?Oh well.Not that I was sure of being able to get it anyways.

How else is the game going to know what figure is on the portal? Minifigures are just chunks of plastic, unless LEGO as secretly been hiding microchips in them for years, you're going to need the stand for them to work, and the stand will have the information for one and only one character in all likelihood.
  • Upvote 1

Well, yes. If the stands are indeed what activate the characters in-game (the most likely scenario, since otherwise all the other parts would need electronic components to be detected), then having the stands specially decorated is a must. Otherwise, kids who have disassembled and reassembled the stands might scan their Batman into the game only for Wyldstyle to show up instead due to mixing up the stands themselves. There needs to be some sort of identifier to keep that from happening.

Anyway, I'm excited for this. It seems fun enough, the mini-models and things look great, and the prospect of smaller licenses (like the one-off Back to the Future Ideas set) getting featured in Lego video games is pretty promising.

I don't know if new molds will be feasible for these sets... but if they are, I can't help but hope that this could be our chance to see minifigures of the new Bionicle characters. I'd love to see Lego take the mini-hero concept from Hero Factory: Invasion from Below and apply it to the new Toa in what will likely remain their most iconic forms, but if we don't get actual playsets, this could be our best shot.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Did anyone else notice the Lego dinosaur on the shelf and pink donut at the end of the extended trailer? Seems like Jurassic World and the Simpsons are in the pipeline. Also, the cover for the game has a haunted house dimension on the very right; Scooby Doo anyone? There's another dimension on the left which I can't make out, but looks dark. Any ideas?

• Upvote 1

I'm always happy for more Unikitty faces.

True.

Also, what about the DC set Wyldstyle got put in in the trailer? Man of Steel, anyone?

Wait. Wait a minute.

THE NEW MAN OF STEEL/BATMAN MOVIE 

But still, if there's one thing LEGO knows how to do, it's build up hype.

ALL ABOARD THE LEGO DIMENSIONS HYPE TRAIN WOOT WOOOOOOOT

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

First Disney, then Nintendo, and now FREAKING LEGO!! Who's going to follow the Skylanders trend next?! Mattel?! Microsoft?! Toyota?! The FBI?! I'm never wasting my money on this stuff.

... Unless they do something related to Bionicle... :3

When video games implement technology in new ways and make lots of money by doing so, smart companies take notice.

YESSS!!! :br:  :happydance:  :D 

THIS IS BETTER THAN LEGO UNIVERSE!!!

Also, here's a quick reference of confirmed characters who will be in Fun Packs, Level Packs, Team Packs, or the Starter Pack.

DC Comics

• Batman
  • Wonder Woman
  • Cyborg
Back to the Future

• Marty McFly
Ninjago

• Kai
  • Jay
  • Cole
  • Zane
  • Nya
The Lord of the Rings

• Gandalf
  • Gollum
  • Gimli
  • Lego Legolas. (Or Legless Lego Legolas if you take off his legs. :P)
The Lego Movie

• Emmet
  • Wyldstyle
  • Bad Cop/Good Cop
  • Benny
  • Unikitty
The Wizard of Oz

• Wicked Witch of the West

I wonder if there will be free-build worlds, like the properties in Lego Universe. Because that would make this game perfect. And the best part is, if Lego stops making additions to this game and stops selling it, unlike Lego Universe, you will still be able to play the game!!! :D

The only way this game would be better than LU is if they have character customizations, And BIONICLE. As well as different Forms, Outfits, or Art Styles of your character for the different dimensions!cwith all the stuff that is has already, Of course.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

It doesn't surprise me that these teasers were about a Lego video game, but I wasn't expecting it to be in the toy meets game style.

Honestly, I haven't been too interested in these kind of games. I'm not saying they're bad, since I've never played a game like Skylander or Disney Infinity. But I just never got the appeal of getting a toy for a new character or power in a game. I'd much rather just get DLC for a game online, if a game were to have it at all.

But again, I've never played one of these games. So I'll definitely keep an open mind for Lego Dimensions. The footage I saw from the trailer looks interesting, but I would like to learn more about it before making any final judgments on it.

I would also have to get a console that supports the game to play it if I did get one day. :P

Edited by Toa Smoke Monster

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

It doesn't surprise me that these teasers were about a Lego video game, but I wasn't expecting it to be in the toy meets game style.

Honestly, I haven't been too interested in these kind of games. I'm not saying they're bad, since I've never played a game like Skylander or Disney Infinity. But I just never got the appeal of getting a toy for a new character or power in a game. I'd much rather just get DLC for a game online, if a game were to have it at all.

But again, I've never played one of these games. So I'll definitely keep an open mind for Lego Dimensions. The footage I saw from the trailer looks interesting, but I would like to learn more about it before making any final judgments on it.

I would also have to get a console that supports the game to play it if I did get one day. :P

Generally the appeal of these sorts of games (beyond just owning a nice model or figurine) is that the figures actually can store game information on them like a memory card. Skylanders or Amiibo can "level up" in certain games, boosting their stats or changing their performance, and that will carry over to when they're next scanned in—even if that's on a friend's console with no connection to that figure's "home" console. It allows a special sort of immersion—"your" figure can grow to be different from those of other players, even if the characters were functionally the same when they were initially bought.

I've speculated that the "vehicle" figures in Lego Dimensions might be able to be "reprogrammed" in this way—rebuilding the vehicle in real life and in-game, and scanning it to "save" your custom model, so that it can be reloaded on a friend's device without having to build it from scratch. That would explain why, while the "figure" stands have identifying information printed on them so they don't get mixed up, the "vehicle" stands seem to be interchangeable. But if they're solely for saving completed models, they wouldn't need information on them, because the information on them would be subject to change in the first place. This would be similar to the recent Skylanders: Trap Team, which in addition to the traditional Skylanders figurines has generic crystal "traps" that can "capture" defeated enemies, with the intention of using them for assistance later on like a captured Pokémon.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Another part of the appeal of Skylanders and Disney Infinity figures is the idea of "two ways to play" — a physical toy and a digital experience. Thus you're not paying JUST for the digital experience like you would be with DLC — you're buying the toy in part because it's a toy.

But of course, on a practical level, most Skylanders and Disney Infinity figures are static figurines, without a whole lot of physical play value. LEGO Dimensions sets will have even more justification for the "toys-to-life" platform because the expansion sets are about as playable as an impulse-priced LEGO set. The micro-vehicles are fully buildable, the minifigures are fully posable, and the parts are compatible with regular LEGO. So you are literally getting both an in-game experience AND a LEGO toy, not just an in-game experience on a toy-shaped memory card.

• Upvote 4

Generally the appeal of these sorts of games (beyond just owning a nice model or figurine) is that the figures actually can store game information on them like a memory card. Skylanders or Amiibo can "level up" in certain games, boosting their stats or changing their performance, and that will carry over to when they're next scanned in—even if that's on a friend's console with no connection to that figure's "home" console. It allows a special sort of immersion—"your" figure can grow to be different from those of other players, even if the characters were functionally the same when they were initially bought.

I've speculated that the "vehicle" figures in Lego Dimensions might be able to be "reprogrammed" in this way—rebuilding the vehicle in real life and in-game, and scanning it to "save" your custom model, so that it can be reloaded on a friend's device without having to build it from scratch. That would explain why, while the "figure" stands have identifying information printed on them so they don't get mixed up, the "vehicle" stands seem to be interchangeable. But if they're solely for saving completed models, they wouldn't need information on them, because the information on them would be subject to change in the first place. This would be similar to the recent Skylanders: Trap Team, which in addition to the traditional Skylanders figurines has generic crystal "traps" that can "capture" defeated enemies, with the intention of using them for assistance later on like a captured Pokémon.

I was wondering about the unprinted vehicle stands, and I think you're probably right.

Another part of the appeal of Skylanders and Disney Infinity figures is the idea of "two ways to play" — a physical toy and a digital experience. Thus you're not paying JUST for the digital experience like you would be with DLC — you're buying the toy in part because it's a toy.

But of course, on a practical level, most Skylanders and Disney Infinity figures are static figurines, without a whole lot of physical play value. LEGO Dimensions sets will have even more justification for the "toys-to-life" platform because the expansion sets are about as playable as an impulse-priced LEGO set. The micro-vehicles are fully buildable, the minifigures are fully posable, and the parts are compatible with regular LEGO. So you are literally getting both an in-game experience AND a LEGO toy, not just an in-game experience on a toy-shaped memory card.

The fact that the figurines in Lego Dimensions are actual Lego minifigs that you can play with, and the fact that the vehicles are actual mini-models makes this game have a pretty big advantage over the others. I can already see people using all the mini-model vehicles in some microscale scene.

That's one of the things I like about Lego. They take something that's already pretty cool and make it even better. :P

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.