What happened to the copies of BIONICLE: Legend of mata nui?

Vraiment

Really, the closest thing we have for comparison is BIONICLE 2: City of Legends. It was a LEGO game that was being developed by a now-defunct company. The tech demo for it was uploaded some time ago, and nobody said anything.

That's a good point. Funny thing is, I had never even heard of that game until last year. Was it even announced?

No, we only know about it when a video surfaced a few years ago.

On another note, who exactly are RedQuark and DeepBrick?

Deep Brick is an anonymous owner of a CD with at least some of the game on it, RedQuark is the only member on here who was in contact with him.

Ergo, people pirating computer games and sharing songs are in blatant breach of copyright as they are distributing for free an item that is currently for sale. This means every time someone pirates a game, said company loses out on a sale, therefore costing them money.

Even that's a bit of a stretch. Often pirates are people who have already decided they will not, or are unable to, purchase the media legitimately. The only reason they are even going to use it at all is because they can get it for free. Contrary to what many copyright mongers claim, pirated copies do not equate to lost sales. Plus, some studies have show that those who pirate the most also tend to spend the most money on legit media.

Most of the CDs are probably in Denmark for obvious reasons. In the Turaga Files videos, Faber had A LOT of CDs on the boxes, so maaaybe there's a chance one copy might be there.

I would question the probability of that. If I recall correctly, LEGO Media was based in the US, but who knows what LEGO did with them, assuming they ever had any. Supposedly they got some test builds, and Templar too, but I don't know if we've had any hard confirmation.

As for Faber, I don't think I've seen any unidentifiable CD's in his pictures yet, unless I've missed them.

Was Deep Brick on any forums? Or was he totally anonymous?

Deep Brick was a name made up by RedQuark. If he was on any forum, it was under a different name.

Are signatures still a thing?

Often pirates are people who have already decided they will not, or are unable to, purchase the media legitimately. The only reason they are even going to use it at all is because they can get it for free. Contrary to what many copyright mongers claim, pirated copies do not equate to lost sales.

Surely that's an idealized view of humanity in general? I imagine that there are a significant number of persons who have no qualms in using a pirated product, but would gladly pay for it if they had to.

I'd gladly accept a good chocolate bar for free, but I would still be willing to buy for a dollar.  Most folks wouldn't steal a candy bar, but digital piracy is quite another matter, as evidenced by its abundance.

Not that I see anything wrong with distributing LoMN, should a copy be located. LEGO has never sold it, and likely never will. and only hardcore fans of BIONICLE seem to know of its existence, so a future official release is highly implausible.

• Upvote 2

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

Was Deep Brick on any forums? Or was he totally anonymous?

Yeah, who is Deep Brick?

All we know about him is that he's a person who came to own a CD containing some of the game just over ten years ago and has a computer that can run it. He shared its three cutscenes and recorded videos of the first level in 2010. RedQuark is the only person who spoke with him directly.

Often pirates are people who have already decided they will not, or are unable to, purchase the media legitimately. The only reason they are even going to use it at all is because they can get it for free. Contrary to what many copyright mongers claim, pirated copies do not equate to lost sales.

Surely that's an idealized view of humanity in general? I imagine that there are a significant number of persons who have no qualms in using a pirated product, but would gladly pay for it if they had to.

I'm pretty sure that's the minority. 

The only cases where I've actually "pirated" something is when either a) I legit can't afford it, or b) I could just get a copy from the library anyway, so the copyright holders would get zero bucks off me regardless. Usually a and b overlap pretty strongly. 

I wish I could pay for all the media I want to consume, but that's not a realistic world. Ever since libraries existed, people have found ways around paying for media. 

• Upvote 1

Anyway, I think we've gotten WAY off topic. The original poster wanted to know what happened to the copies of a game, and it's turned into a debate on the morality of sharing the game. That would be better off as a poll, I think.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

(...) so I think we shouldn't worry for the legal issue just now, let's cross that bridge when is necessary, not before.

What I expected was to motivate forum members to search for a copy of the game, or more info regarding it

Came for the sets, stayed for the story.

(...) so I think we shouldn't worry for the legal issue just now, let's cross that bridge when is necessary, not before.

What I expected was to motivate forum members to search for a copy of the game, or more info regarding it

There have been a lot of threads like this in the past, all with the same basic conclusion. RedQuark is still the best chance we have of ever getting the game distributed, and it's been that way for a lot of years. Only a few of us know how to contact him and if we don't want to ruin our chances of getting it from him, it needs to stay that way. 

As some of you may know, I located a disc two years ago from a former LEGO employee whom I sourced all my prototypes from, but after other forum members discovered her identity through my own carelessness and sent her a barrage of emails, she cut off contact with me and everyone else before completing the deal for the copy of LoMN. Still frustrates me a bit to think about.

The same could easily happen with RedQuark if everyone were to start contacting him. It's certainly a waiting game, but I'm sure he'll come through eventually. 

• Upvote 3
Bliss.png

There have been a lot of threads like this in the past, all with the same basic conclusion.

Yeah, this is the latest in the 'Search for The Legend of Mata Nui' topics which have become a sort of tradition in the years since the cutscenes were first uploaded.

As some of you may know, I located a disc two years ago from a former LEGO employee whom I sourced all my prototypes from, but after other forum members discovered her identity through my own carelessness and sent her a barrage of emails, she cut off contact with me and everyone else before completing the deal for the copy of LoMN.

Argh. Have you considered or tried contacting her again?

Edited by Sir Kohran

As some of you may know, I located a disc two years ago from a former LEGO employee whom I sourced all my prototypes from, but after other forum members discovered her identity through my own carelessness and sent her a barrage of emails, she cut off contact with me and everyone else before completing the deal for the copy of LoMN.

Multiple times, and unfortunately she's never gotten back to me. 

Bliss.png

What do you mean "all my prototypes?" You mean, like, sets? Or other games?

What do you mean "all my prototypes?" You mean, like, sets? Or other games?

I wish they were other games. :P I had gotten some 2001 prototype sets from from her, and most are in the hands of Mask Collector now. 

• Upvote 1
Bliss.png

There have been a lot of threads like this in the past, all with the same basic conclusion. RedQuark is still the best chance we have of ever getting the game distributed, and it's been that way for a lot of years. Only a few of us know how to contact him and if we don't want to ruin our chances of getting it from him, it needs to stay that way. 

As some of you may know, I located a disc two years ago from a former LEGO employee whom I sourced all my prototypes from, but after other forum members discovered her identity through my own carelessness and sent her a barrage of emails, she cut off contact with me and everyone else before completing the deal for the copy of LoMN. Still frustrates me a bit to think about.

The same could easily happen with RedQuark if everyone were to start contacting him. It's certainly a waiting game, but I'm sure he'll come through eventually. 

I contacted her, and she informed me that she no longer had the game in her archives in Dubai.

Who, besides myself anyways, are the BZPower members who could be counted among the 'experts' on LOMN? Why don't we try to make a definitive history of LOMN, just to organize the information. Also, please allow me clear some things up for those who do not already know:

No beta test ever took place. No copies of the game were ever released to the general public, Lego and Saffire were the only known entities to have the game in their possession. The pictures of the different levels originated from adverts for the game.

• Upvote 1

Why don't we try to make a definitive history of LOMN, just to organize the information.

It'd sure beat having a Legend of Mata Nui thread cropping up every three months.

Each one starts with some guy asking what it was, and then the two or three people who have any clue about it start going in circles.

Just like this thread. Going in circles.

• Upvote 1

Since most of what I know (and speculate) on the game comes from JrMasterModelBuilder, I'd point to him as being an "expert" on the game.

I'd want to count myself too, but that's cheating :P

I also notice Sir Kohran in most of the topics regarding the game as well.

Edited by 2Tie

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

Barad-dur, JMMB, XONAR, and maybe Sir Kohran are the only ones I've seen in this thread who have any real idea of the situation behind The Legend of Mata Nui.

It's not enough to just read about it to know anything about it. You've got to get your hands dirty a little to dig out some info about it yourself.

pzP78OG.png

I've done what non-detrimental digging I can on a game that was never released and that I have no contacts on :P
For example, a side thing that I rarely hear brought up is the gamecube version that was worked on. Obviously it wouldn't come up much since it probably wouldn't be part of the beta test, but a few of the promotional screenshots of non-Onua characters have a different GUI and a grey d-pad in the bottom left corner, which makes me think they were from the Gamecube version (which was slated for release in Spring 2002)

Also, if the full game assets ever came to be released, I have a bit of experience in picking apart content in games. I've even written a couple of articles (and forum posts here) about unused content i've found in the Online Games. :P

Alternatively if I'm trying too hard to prove something please let me know x3

• Upvote 1

I also notice Sir Kohran in most of the topics regarding the game as well.

I've tried to keep up with the story of this elusive game and also make sure the right information is being spread. I admit my hopes of seeing the game made public have declined slightly as the years pass without much success, but I'll stay interested as long as the possibility's there.

For example, a side thing that I rarely hear brought up is the gamecube version that was worked on.

As the game has pretty much always been described as "the PC game", I bet that's the version that was complete or closest to it. And the only CD that we know for sure exists (Deep Brick's) is for the PC.

For example, a side thing that I rarely hear brought up is the gamecube version that was worked on.

Also, if the full game assets ever came to be released, I have a bit of experience in picking apart content in games. I've even written a couple of articles (and forum posts here) about unused content i've found in the Online Games. :P

GameCube? That'd be news to me if it were true.

I wonder what the music file format is...

As I recall, the advertisements for the game only mentioned "PC CD-ROM." Of course, all the advertisements were basically the same thing: picture of the box (on an angle), a couple of screenshots of Onua, and maybe a small list of details. I didn't really follow the gaming scene back in 2001 (I was 8/9 years old), but maybe the GameCube version was announced to the gaming press.

Also, I feel that I know more about the game than an average BIONICLE fan (most probably don't even know it exists), but I hardly consider myself an expert.

By the way, searching for the game on Google Images gives screenshots of Gali and Kopaka. If we can't get past Onua's part, how can we get shots of them?

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

Maybe they were pre-rendered pictures from development? Dunno. Also, just a question: why do we care about this game so much? It was cancelled over a decade ago, so why do we even have our hopes up of playing this game that's proven to be broken?

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

Maybe they were pre-rendered pictures from development? Dunno. Also, just a question: why do we care about this game so much? It was cancelled over a decade ago, so why do we even have our hopes up of playing this game that's proven to be broken?

Because some people here yonder are programmers and specialize in fixing those things. :shrugs:

And there are some people who want more Bionicle, no matter what, even if it's a canceled PC game from a decade and a half ago. But getting that game to be feasibly playable requires more than fixing the bugs - it requires upgrading/changing the gaming engine so it will play on modern computer systems. I'm sure the game programmers of BZPower are up to the challenge, but I'm not getting my hopes up for a new Bionicle game anytime soon. 

4ldOURs.png
The ad I found that mentions the Gamecube version. Don't quite know what or when it's from.

The screenshot shown (below) has a different interface from the Deep Brick videos, having coins instead of UDD symbols in the upper right, a completely different graphic for health and energy, and instead of having just one Mask it has four spaces for masks, denoted with arrows:

a3PHRI6.jpg

The advertisement specifies that this is a PC screenshot shown. Following that, we know that, at the very least, the Kopaka image originates from a similar point in time as this one, as the interface is the same, non-final one, with the sole exception of a different Miru image used:

ZQTyjMp.jpg

I'm assuming all of the images of Gali and Tahu floating around are also from ingame rather than promotional mockups, although these don't have any GUI to them.

If we can't get past Onua's part, how can we get shots of them?

It's not uncommon during development for developers to have a debug menu where different levels can be started from, or they could've had a way to build the individual levels and run them for testing.

Worst case scenario, if they needed to get to a certain point in the game they could mess with the save file, as they know how it was constructed. :P

Edited by 2Tie

I'm pretty sure that's the minority.

Why? I have as evidence human nature (or at least, my interpretation of it.) What is your evidence?

The only cases where I've actually "pirated" something is when either a) I legit can't afford it, or b) I could just get a copy from the library anyway, so the copyright holders would get zero bucks off me regardless. Usually a and b overlap pretty strongly. 

I wish I could pay for all the media I want to consume, but that's not a realistic world. Ever since libraries existed, people have found ways around paying for media. 

Borrowing something from a library does not equate to obtaining a free copy of something that you can access at your leisure. If it did, libraries would no doubt be illegal or heavily regulated.

That said, I have no desire of derailing this thread any further, so I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

But getting that game to be feasibly playable requires more than fixing the bugs - it requires upgrading/changing the gaming engine so it will play on modern computer systems.

It is actually fairly easy to get most vintage LEGO games (and presumably other contemporaneous games) to work on modern computers. For example, I've got Rock Raiders (1999) working on my laptop. The usual problem is the lack of certain obsolete system .dll files, which can be located freely and harmlessly online.

Edited by Quisoves Potoo

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

4ldOURs.png

The ad I found that mentions the Gamecube version. Don't quite know what or when it's from.

The screenshot shown (below) has a different interface from the Deep Brick videos, having coins instead of UDD symbols in the upper right, a completely different graphic for health and energy, and instead of having just one Mask it has four spaces for masks, denoted with arrows:

a3PHRI6.jpg

The advertisement specifies that this is a PC screenshot shown. Following that, we know that, at the very least, the Kopaka image originates from a similar point in time as this one, as the interface is the same, non-final one, with the sole exception of a different Miru image used:

ZQTyjMp.jpg

I'm assuming all of the images of Gali and Tahu floating around are also from ingame rather than promotional mockups, although these don't have any GUI to them.

I'm not expert on this game or anything, but i'm quite sure the HUD is different because these are shots from an early version of the game. This is pretty common on the game industry, actually.

• Upvote 1

So, why don't we all collaborate and write the history behind the game? We could all do with each others knowledge on the subject, names would have to be censored, but that's fine.

Futher reading:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2001/05/19/e3-lego-bionicle-hands-on

http://www.gamevortex.com/e3_2k1/qs_bionicle.html

http://www.mouseplanet.com/hometheater/ht010618.htm

http://web.archive.org/web/20020207143513/http://www.saffire.com/news.html

Edited by Barad-dur

Those links all basically say the same thing - that the game was featured at E3 in May 2001, with a release planned for later that year.

I do wonder what the 'impossible jump' mentioned in the second one was.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's the same impassable barrier as in Deep Brick's copy. In fact, for all we know, his copy might be the version they were demoing at E3.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

I've installed old games to my computer with no modification before. There's also sites that host patches for popular games to force them to run on modern computers (not applicable in this case). There's also Microsoft Virtual PC, which you can install any Microsoft OS onto since MS-DOS. I have a virtual hard drive that runs Windows 98 on my computer. This seems like the most realistic option. If somebody wants to release a modern OS patch for the game once it's been obtained, that's another option.

Of course, this is all hypothetical, since we don't have the game. I have no doubts that it's possible to obtain the game somehow, as many prototype games have found their way to the public, but judging by the leak of the former LEGO employee's contact info, it seems our chances have been damaged.

Someone needs to archive these articles and use them as sources for a long, drawn-out writeup on the game and its history.

I attempted that though I never got far. It needs to be a collaboration project.

Just set up a GoogleDoc, invite some select people over to it and try to rough out a draft between all of you before getting into the nitty-gritty of actually writing. It'd be cool if it were well-written, like an actual report of some kind. Or at least I think it'd be cool.

Don't open it up for public editing because then everyone will add the same stuff over and over, with bad grammar to boot.

• Upvote 1

Why is noone discussing Red Quark anymore? If he's the only link to Deep Brick then is it not worth somebody contacting him to see if he is still able to communicate with the guy who owns the only known copy of this game in existence? Call me crazy but it seems like it might be worth a shot... Who are the 'few members' who are able to contact him? Is there a particular member on particularly good standing with him? It's literally our only lead, seems worth looking into to me!

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Why is noone discussing Red Quark anymore? If he's the only link to Deep Brick then is it not worth somebody contacting him to see if he is still able to communicate with the guy who owns the only known copy of this game in existence? Call me crazy but it seems like it might be worth a shot... Who are the 'few members' who are able to contact him? Is there a particular member on particularly good standing with him? It's literally our only lead, seems worth looking into to me!

Deep Brick (I wonder if that name's supposed to be a parody of Deep Throat?) might not even want to have any indirect contact with the BIONICLE community anymore. Or have the time to dig out the disc of the computer necessary to play it. Remember, the game is very picky about what type of settings the computer is running on, so he can't load it onto whatever machine he happens to have out.

Whether Red Quark even is in contact with Deep Brick anymore is a question to mull over. Last I heard they hadn't been in contact for a few years.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939