Bad to the Spine

Christian Faber's reveals of classic Bionicle concept art continue with today's entry: Turaga Files - Unboxing the Legend - Exhibit 011. He provides some background on the art direction and style chosen for the Piraka in 2006 as a way to help keep the five year old line fresh. It's interesting to hear that this initial design was considered, 'too aggressive,' and had to be reevaluated before they arrived at the final art we're all familiar with. I do enjoy the film poster look and the cheesy one-liners, which stuck around in a different form in the final products and marketing.

View the full article

I totally get the vibe they were aiming for but the Piraka rap's lyrics were ridiculous. And that Vezok commercial where he's riding on that weird thing with a Hau was one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen LEGO do. He even kicks its freaking head away at the end. I still don't get what the heck that was supposed to mean.

That poster looks really cool, though, apart from the horribly cheesy taglines. :P

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

I totally get the vibe they were aiming for but the Piraka rap's lyrics were ridiculous. And that Vezok commercial where he's riding on that weird thing with a Hau was one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen LEGO do. He even kicks its freaking head away at the end. I still don't get what the heck that was supposed to mean.That poster looks really cool, though, apart from the horribly cheesy taglines. :P

He was ment to be riding a mechanical bull, or Tahu, why he kicks it's head off I have no idea.

I totally get the vibe they were aiming for but the Piraka rap's lyrics were ridiculous. And that Vezok commercial where he's riding on that weird thing with a Hau was one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen LEGO do. He even kicks its freaking head away at the end. I still don't get what the heck that was supposed to mean.That poster looks really cool, though, apart from the horribly cheesy taglines. :P

He was ment to be riding a mechanical bull, or Tahu, why he kicks it's head off I have no idea.

I believe it was to show the "Grr, Piraka cool evil-dooers! Grr, Piraka hate Toa! GrrrrrrRRrrRRRrRRRRrrrRRRRRRRRRRR!!"

Why is he riding that bull in the first place? Why a bull? And why would any kid watch that commercial and decide Vezok's so awesome that they need to get him? I find it more off-putting than anything.

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

I believe it was to show the "Grr, Piraka cool evil-dooers! Grr, Piraka hate Toa! GrrrrrrRRrrRRRrRRRRrrrRRRRRRRRRRR!!"

Ya, like "we are rebel Do NOT bypass the filter. -B6, the Toa are nothing to us!"

Why is he riding that bull in the first place? Why a bull? And why would any kid watch that commercial and decide Vezok's so awesome that they need to get him? I find it more off-putting than anything.

I think to show that Bionicle was taking a new direction, gone are the mystical settings and now are the dark gangs; 2006 was a dark and controversial year, with its chain link fence background, all american rejects songs, Punk piraka, guns (Nuparus weapon), lightning, "alien" Toa and gloomy storyline.

However, it's one of my favorite years.

Edited by Black Six

Too aggressive? What?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

It's not literally a bull, it's a mechanical bull. Those are a real thing that people ride as a test of endurance (or to train for rodeos). The idea is that you're supposed to see how long you can stay on without being thrown off. And as for it falling apart, that's to show that he's even rougher and tougher than the machine. Kind of like the cartoon cliche of somebody striking a "test your strength" amusement park attraction attraction so hard that instead of just ringing the bell it knocks the bell clean off.

I didn't especially like the Piraka from a marketing standpoint (even as a teenager I could tell that the adverts and taglines were incredibly cheesy), though I did like some of their characterization, especially Zaktan's. The sets had pretty cool color schemes as well, though I had more interest in their pieces than in the figures themselves.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

Aside from the one-liners at the bottom of it, I think this poster is really cool. All the Piraka look menacing, especially the giant Hakann in the forefront of it. 

Everytime I see that awesome Avak prototype with the fangs on his head, I'm disappointed that the final version looks so much less menacing.

I didn't even know Avak had fangs on his head, and I probably wouldn't have have notice them here if you hadn't pointed that out. Now that I do see them, I agree that the final set form of Avak would've been a lot cooler with them.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

It's not literally a bull, it's a mechanical bull. Those are a real thing that people ride as a test of endurance (or to train for rodeos). The idea is that you're supposed to see how long you can stay on without being thrown off. And as for it falling apart, that's to show that he's even rougher and tougher than the machine. Kind of like the cartoon cliche of somebody striking a "test your strength" amusement park attraction attraction so hard that instead of just ringing the bell it knocks the bell clean off.

I didn't especially like the Piraka from a marketing standpoint (even as a teenager I could tell that the adverts and taglines were incredibly cheesy), though I did like some of their characterization, especially Zaktan's. The sets had pretty cool color schemes as well, though I had more interest in their pieces than in the figures themselves.

Ohh, I get it now. That seems like something you wouldn't necessarily understand outside certain parts of the world, though. Which makes it even more surprising they chose that. Thanks a lot for the explanation! Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

I liked the book Piraka better than the marketing Piraka.

In retrospect, I'm sort of the other way around. The marketing, at least, seemed slightly self-aware, with the gang motifs giving the characters a similar impression to the bumbling Lego City crooks. But in the books, that manifested in terrible, over-the-top cruelty and one-liners.

Some of the characterization of the Piraka in the books was decent, especially Zaktan's, but all that over-the-top grimdark subverted any possible sympathy or relatability the characters might have had, and made the characters almost impossible to take seriously, which seems to be the exact opposite of the impression that the dark turn in the story was intended to give.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Ohh, I get it now. That seems like something you wouldn't necessarily understand outside certain parts of the world, though. Which makes it even more surprising they chose that. Thanks a lot for the explanation!

People don't know carnival rides and rodeos?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?