P~M

So after perusing the topic Cwog created on thoughts about 2016, I wanted to ask you guys what you want for 2018 and beyond--from what I've heard, Gen 2 has been confirmed for three years so far, but what do you want next?

New Toa? A new island? A new universe? What?

banner.jpg

I want a continent for them to explore. After getting so many islands in Gen1, a larger landmass than an island would be a sight for sore eyes. Maybe not all of the continent has been explored. There could be an indeterminate 'uncharted lands' that's filled with wild critters and that sort. 

After a few years of that, I want the story to relocate to another planet. Those seen in the animations really gives me hope that they'll do that. Maybe each of the Toa is from a different planet, and they've got to return to their home worlds for whatever reason? 

• Upvote 1

bZpOwEr

It's hard to make any wishes for 2018 when we don't even know what we'll be getting in the coming three years. 

But I guess it would be pretty cool to explore different islands, allthough I think they should stick to a setting for longer than just one year. They introduced so many cool settings like Mahri Nui in G1 but didn't really use them as well as they could have.

Edited by doodleloot

Hail Denmark

It's difficult to answer the question when anything I do want I'd like to arrive a little sooner than three years away. :P Plus we don't even know what next year will bring. All I'm really sure about 2018 is that by then the story will have moved to a different location, much as it had by 2004.

I'm not entirely sure what I want for 2018. I guess a change from Okoto would be nice. Perhaps moving to an entire continent, as The Irrational Rock mentioned, could be cool. However, I actually want Tahu and the others to stay around, which is quite unusual of me as I would always think of having a new Toa team, but I don't want them to vanish like they did in Generation 1.

Like I commented in my own post, I think another island or landmass on the same planet would be nice. Like, yeah, Metru-Nui was a nice change of scenery, but there was no land except for Mata-Nui on Aqua Magna. I think there should be more land in the same ocean.

• Upvote 2

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

Where did you hear Bionicle is confirmed to go until 2018?

If it did continue, I'd love to explore the rest of this planet, but no new planets.

I'd also like to see more of the species we saw in Gen 1, like Skrall, Vortixx and Skakdi. Plus I'd like to see the Dark Hunters return.

More Toa, especially those not of Gen 1 (or those of Gen 1 with no sets) would be fantastic too.

Last but not least, BATERRA!!!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

If BIONICLE continues beyond the three years then of course I would like to see more of the world, but until then I would like the story to remain focused on Okoto in 2018. After all, one highly developed island is better than several flat continents. Also, Okoto is where the main conflict seems to be so anything outside of it is really superfilous and kind of distracting, at least until that conflict is resolved. This by no means limits the story however, consider: all the many lands we have seen in Gen1, and yet, not once did the story take place almost completely underground: wouldn't that be awesome, to have the epic story-arc conclusion take place in immense caverns under Okoto? Think of the possibilities!

Edited by RahiSpeak

I want more elements. Proper elements; fundamental forces of the universe. Imagine a Toa of the Weak Nuclear Force! Makes nuclear explosions! That could actually be a pretty good plot point for 2018 if Lego decide to shift Bionicle into a new sci-fi gear for one year at the end of its first trilogy like they did with Ninjago; perhaps there's a group of four new villains able to control the four fundamental forces trying to destroy the universe? If Lego wanted to round it out to six villains, though, I'm sure they could split the electromagnetic force into electricity and magnetism, although they don't quite have the same ring to it as the electromagnetic force.

Also give me a GSR.

NOW.

• Upvote 2

VBWj75sh.png

I want more elements. Proper elements; fundamental forces of the universe. Imagine a Toa of the Weak Nuclear Force! Makes nuclear explosions! That could actually be a pretty good plot point for 2018 if Lego decide to shift Bionicle into a new sci-fi gear for one year at the end of its first trilogy like they did with Ninjago; perhaps there's a group of four new villains able to control the four fundamental forces trying to destroy the universe? If Lego wanted to round it out to six villains, though, I'm sure they could split the electromagnetic force into electricity and magnetism, although they don't quite have the same ring to it as the electromagnetic force.

Also give me a GSR.

NOW.

I would love for there to be a more sci-fi feel, as that's one of the reasons why I think later Bionicle was waaaay better than the early years. Of course, elements like Weak Nuclear Force might be over the heads of the target audience for the line. 

I think that having another GSR might be a little stale, since we've already gotten that in the first wave. But having gigantic planet-sized robots battle could be a concept that Lego could revisit, but probably not in the form that we got with the big reveal. 

I'd like some more elements, provided that they're actively used. The fact that we never got a Toa of Magnetism or something still displeases me. I feel that Gen1 had so much wasted potential for set possibilities with their lack of minor elemental Toa. 

• Upvote 1

bZpOwEr

If it did continue, I'd love to explore the rest of this planet, but no new planets.

I'd also like to see more of the species we saw in Gen 1, like Skrall, Vortixx and Skakdi. Plus I'd like to see the Dark Hunters return.

More Toa, especially those not of Gen 1 (or those of Gen 1 with no sets) would be fantastic too.

I didn't hear that Bionicle is confirmed for 2018, I heard it was confirmed for three years (2015-2017). I'm just asking what you would want after that.

I think Lego won't be going back to Gen 1 concepts, especially esoteric ones like the Vortixx, until much later if ever. The Baterra would be interesting, though--maybe they could play a more prominent (and different) role in the new generation.

banner.jpg

Maybe for the Protectors to explore their planet, and to find other islands with their own inhabitants and Toa. 

Perhaps they could also do something with those other celestial bodies. Are they satellites to the main planet? Or is Okoto on a moon? It would be interesting I think to get to know more about the solar system the story takes place in.

I didn't hear that Bionicle is confirmed for 2018, I heard it was confirmed for three years (2015-2017). I'm just asking what you would want after that.

I think Lego won't be going back to Gen 1 concepts, especially esoteric ones like the Vortixx, until much later if ever. The Baterra would be interesting, though--maybe they could play a more prominent (and different) role in the new generation.

Apologies for my mistake. I meant until 2017.

So it's just a rumour at this stage? I once heard a rumour saying Gen 1 would go until at least 2011 and they had 2 more movies planned beyond The Legend Reborn.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I don't remember where I heard it, but I'm pretty sure gen2 was pitched to last at least 3 years, those being 2015, 2016, and 2017. I assume that if the line does very well in those three years, it will continue onward.

Maybe for the Protectors to explore their planet, and to find other islands with their own inhabitants and Toa. 

Perhaps they could also do something with those other celestial bodies. Are they satellites to the main planet? Or is Okoto on a moon? It would be interesting I think to get to know more about the solar system the story takes place in.

That's an interesting idea. After all, there are quite a few places in official art and videos where two moons or planets can be seen.

See, the problem I have with the possibility of the Inika/Mahri team is that those characters existed long before they were a team, and they all had personalities that were fleshed out through books, comics, video games, and movies. Right now there are no villagers that fill those roles. It would take a lot to introduce Jaller, Hahli, Hewkii, Kongu, Nuparu, and Matoro again, and with the same level of depth. Perhaps if they follow a path similar to mine (that being next year's small sets will be two villagers from each region, 12 in all), then that could work out, but unless they can flesh out those villagers in the same way that Gen1 did, I'm not counting on that team coming back.

• Upvote 1

So it's just a rumour at this stage? I once heard a rumour saying Gen 1 would go until at least 2011 and they had 2 more movies planned beyond The Legend Reborn.

There is no confirmation of BIONICLE continuing past 2017. With that said, Hero Factory was successful enough to last five years. Do you really think the BIONICLE reboot will be less successful than Hero Factory?

Anyway, put me in the "it's too early to say" camp. It's possible we'd be able to stay on Okoto for more than three years, or that we'd have to explore a new setting before three years are even up, depending on how the story is told, how long the storytellers can keep Okoto interesting without exhausting its storytelling potential, and what plans they have for Okoto in the first place.

I do think that ideally, the story should be able to stick with the current six Toa as protagonists, maybe with one or two additional teammates. Unless, of course, the writers manage to wrap up their story arc within three years. Shoving all of the main characters into the background before their story has reached a satisfying conclusion is a good way to confuse and alienate people.

• Upvote 1

There is no confirmation of BIONICLE continuing past 2017. With that said, Hero Factory was successful enough to last five years. Do you really think the BIONICLE reboot will be less successful than Hero Factory?

Anyway, put me in the "it's too early to say" camp. It's possible we'd be able to stay on Okoto for more than three years, or that we'd have to explore a new setting before three years are even up, depending on how the story is told, how long the storytellers can keep Okoto interesting without exhausting its storytelling potential, and what plans they have for Okoto in the first place.

I do think that ideally, the story should be able to stick with the current six Toa as protagonists, maybe with one or two additional teammates. Unless, of course, the writers manage to wrap up their story arc within three years. Shoving all of the main characters into the background before their story has reached a satisfying conclusion is a good way to confuse and alienate people.

Was that last paragraph in reference to what I said about the Toa Mahri? Because I agree with you. Tahu's team should remain in the spotlight for these for three years, at least. Afterward, maybe another team? Dunno.

Was that last paragraph in reference to what I said about the Toa Mahri? Because I agree with you. Tahu's team should remain in the spotlight for these for three years, at least. Afterward, maybe another team? Dunno.

No, not in reference to anybody in particular, just to the question in the first post about whether I expect to see new Toa. I certainly don't expect the cast of characters to stay exactly the same (even LEGO Ninjago and LEGO Hero Factory introduced new main characters and supporting characters over the years). But I don't think there's any sort of "time limit" for how long the current main characters (the six Toa) can stay interesting. And it would be hard to introduce an entire new team of heroes as main characters before the current heroes' adventure is concluded and they can move on to another stage in their lives (perhaps a role as mentors or leaders). At best we might see one or two new main characters join the team before then.

Edited by Aanchir

I'll try again.

Where was it confirmed Bionicle would last UNTIL 2017? Where did LEGO themselves say we were guaranteed  2016 and 2017 sets? Never mind past 2017 until we have 2016 and 2017 first, and I for one haven't seen confirmation.

And there's nothing that'll say Bionicle's hard reboot won't drop like a protosteel balloon. The 2009 soft reboot did.

Edited by Makuta_of_Oz
  • Upvote 1

And there's nothing that'll say Bionicle's hard reboot won't drop like a protosteel balloon. The 2009 soft reboot did.

What's a soft reboot? You mean glatorian?

I think it's basically moving to a new setting and having new characters, but still being tied to the original material.

• Upvote 2

I'll try again.

Where was it confirmed Bionicle would last UNTIL 2017? Where did LEGO themselves say we were guaranteed  2016 and 2017 sets? Never mind past 2017 until we have 2016 and 2017 first, and I for one haven't seen confirmation.

No, there's been nothing to absolutely confirm that the new Bionicle will last for all three planned years. At the same time, it's insanely pessimistic to think that it won't last for at least that long. Think about it: even HERO FACTORY lasted for a full five years—not as long as the classic Bionicle, but longer than a great deal of other Lego themes. To suggest that the new Bionicle doesn't have the momentum to last for even three years is to imply that Hero Factory had more going for it than the new theme, and I think you and I would agree that that's decidedly not the case.

We're not going to get "confirmation" that the theme will last for longer than this year for quite some time—even leaks of future sets (which can't be discussed on BZPower) rarely occur more than six months in advance of the next year's sets. The only time I recall a longer advance warning than that was the confirmation of Ninjago continuing in 2014, which occurred almost a full year in advance—and that only happened to clear up misinformation resulting from a last-minute change of plans. We most likely won't get official confirmation of the new theme's continuation until the release of the summer wave, at the very least, and we might possibly have to wait even longer than that.

Finally, the difference between a full relaunch of the theme and a "soft reboot" (that really amounts to nothing more than yet another change of setting and characters) is astronomical. The "soft reboot" in 2009 was a last-ditch effort to refresh the dying brand enough to keep it going. This year's Bionicle relaunch is practically like the launch of a new theme—and as such, a great deal of marketing, promotion, and research has been devoted to getting it off the ground without the same mistakes as the classic theme. If Lego didn't have confidence that the new theme would be able to deliver greater success than Hero Factory, they wouldn't have brought it back—they would have either kept Hero Factory around or developed a brand new theme to take its place.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I think that as LEGO and Bionicle fans, it's our responsibility to help keep our favorite lines as long as possible. If people really want to see Bionicle return, the least each of us can do is buy a set. I feel that's the easiest way to convey to LEGO "We like Bionicle, please keep it." After all, if we only just say that, then LEGO has no proof that continuing will be a sound investment, but if sales increase, they will have all the reason to go on.

• Upvote 1

I think that even if all of us bought the entire wave, it would merely be a drop in Lego's proverbial bucket of funds. 

It's not necessarily the funds they'd receive. Rather, the sales for Bionicle would go up. More demand for Bionicles = More supply of Bionicles. Simple marketing. The more we buy, the more LEGO makes, and that gives them assurance that new waves are a good idea.

I think that even if all of us bought the entire wave, it would merely be a drop in Lego's proverbial bucket of funds. 

It's not necessarily the funds they'd receive. Rather, the sales for Bionicle would go up. More demand for Bionicles = More supply of Bionicles. Simple marketing. The more we buy, the more LEGO makes, and that gives them assurance that new waves are a good idea.

I really doubt the online fan community actually has that much impact. Let's say that there's 10,000 online fans of Bionicle (and that's pushing it IMO). Lego's child audience numbers somewhere in the millions (say 400 million). 10,000/400,000,000 = .000025, which is an increase of .0025%. 

Not a lot. (Of course these are arbitrary numbers, but I'm pretty sure Lego's sales safely outnumber BZPower members, so...)

I really doubt the online fan community actually has that much impact. Let's say that there's 10,000 online fans of Bionicle (and that's pushing it IMO). Lego's child audience numbers somewhere in the millions (say 400 million). 10,000/400,000,000 = .000025, which is an increase of .0025%. 

Not a lot. (Of course these are arbitrary numbers, but I'm pretty sure Lego's sales safely outnumber BZPower members, so...)

I think we have to consider that, yes, LEGO is a company, and they want to maximise their profits, but that they might also really care about what their devoted fans have to say, and the best way to say that we like the next generation is to buy it. It's obvious LEGO hears us; just look at the special treatment BZPower has received in the past!

Also, let's think about that 10,000 number. If even half of those 10,000 fans buy the entire wave so far (and not that that's likely, but that was the original proposition, so let's go with it), and we assume that all the sets together are around $180 (pulling that number out of my boot), that's $900,000 for LEGO. If all 10,000 fans go all the way, that's $1.8 million. The number grows even more if you consider the impending summer sets. Even if that's a tiny, tiny fraction of LEGO's profits, $1.8 million says a heck of a lot. And of course we are not the only ones buying the sets; there are probably hundreds of thousands of little boys and girls who see Pohatu or Lewa on a shelf at the Target and say "Mommy I want that!"

banner.jpg

I think we have to consider that, yes, LEGO is a company, and they want to maximise their profits, but that they might also really care about what their devoted fans have to say, and the best way to say that we like the next generation is to buy it. It's obvious LEGO hears us; just look at the special treatment BZPower has received in the past!

Also, let's think about that 10,000 number. If even half of those 10,000 fans buy the entire wave so far (and not that that's likely, but that was the original proposition, so let's go with it), and we assume that all the sets together are around $180 (pulling that number out of my boot), that's $900,000 for LEGO. If all 10,000 fans go all the way, that's $1.8 million. The number grows even more if you consider the impending summer sets. Even if that's a tiny, tiny fraction of LEGO's profits, $1.8 million says a heck of a lot. And of course we are not the only ones buying the sets; there are probably hundreds of thousands of little boys and girls who see Pohatu or Lewa on a shelf at the Target and say "Mommy I want that!"

I did the calculations of the price on a former topic (http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/17936-total-cost-of-gen2/?hl=%2Btotal+%2Bcost), and you're right on the dime with that $180. If you want to count wave 2, all of 2015's Bionicle sets cost a grand total of $270.

Now, for the fanbase. I just looked at the member list. Each page of that list holds 20 people (the last page has 17 on it), and the are 2484 pages. Don't worry, already did the math. As of today, BZP has almost 50,000 members, 49,677 to be precise. So, what would happen if everyone who has an account on BZP bought, say, Tahu? That's an additional $993,540 in revenue for LEGO. Granted these prices are approximate because if you pay $20, LEGO isn't getting exactly $20. Alright, just buying Tahu, we would have already paid that much. What if everyone bought all 18 sets this year?

About $13,412,790. That's right, 13 million dollars. Sure, may not be a huge amount in comparison to LEGO's other sales, but that's enough to let LEGO know that we care, that we want more, that we're willing to buy more. Now, by no means am I asking for everyone on this site to buy every set. I'm just pointing out that we do make a difference.

Most of those 50,000 members have never made a single post, and there's probably at least 20,000 who saw this site, made an account, and lost interest in Bionicle at some point and moved on with their lives. 

50,000 is over 10 years. 

I know that. I'm saying that if all of us contributed, it'd be big. However, any small contribution is something.

Most of those 50,000 members have never made a single post, and there's probably at least 20,000 who saw this site, made an account, and lost interest in Bionicle at some point and moved on with their lives. 

50,000 is over 10 years. 

The number of members who have been online since the start of this year is just under 2000.

• Upvote 1

50,000 is over 10 years. 

The number of members who have been online since the start of this year is just under 2000.

I didn't think so much of our userbase was inactive. In any case, my point still stands.

50,000 is over 10 years. 

Hmm... that certainly does throw an Earthshock Drill into the works. However, as Cwog said, the point still stands.

banner.jpg

I want a continent for them to explore. After getting so many islands in Gen1, a larger landmass than an island would be a sight for sore eyes. Maybe not all of the continent has been explored. There could be an indeterminate 'uncharted lands' that's filled with wild critters and that sort. 

After a few years of that, I want the story to relocate to another planet. Those seen in the animations really gives me hope that they'll do that. Maybe each of the Toa is from a different planet, and they've got to return to their home worlds for whatever reason? 

The idea of discovery of the unknown sounds great I think, but new planets? After the Glatorian, I'd say no thank you.

• Upvote 1

keetongorange-bionicle-logo-small.png

I don't want to see anything else from Bara Magna, we just got out of that sandpile, and I still have sand stuck in my gearbox so please no more agori, glatorians, vorox etc. The story would get bland again with those characters and don't tell me they aren't bland.

• Upvote 2