Do you like Bionicle 2015?

Do you like Bionicle 2015?  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think the view/vote ratio is affected by the amount of people who return to the topic after they vote to see the results of the poll or respond to the comments. You all don't need to make a big deal out of it. 

Well, now I understand... that is, if what you say is true. If not, then I'd still like an answer. I don't really think I'm making that big of a deal, though, just pointing it out.

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

Not to mention that ties into how boring of an island Okoto is. There are few landmarks that we've seen so far, and virtually none are marked on the map. The map/island is bland and just environments, but we've seen nothing of the villages and ruins so far to really make us attracted to the island. There is no exciting or notable landscape. Sure there's room for putting it in later, but like I said, it needs to be done now because it's the start. The ruins/temples there don't seem special or significant because they aren't heavily tied to the mythology and thus feel simply dropped there for the sake of making an aesthetic. Sure, it looks pretty, but there are no parts that end up meaning anything to me because there's nothing notable about them. Except for the elemental factor, the settings and cultures aren't very diverse or interesting. The concepts and art ideas for the land are beautiful and cool, but that's it, there's nothing specifically interesting/significant to the story about them, and so they're not special and disappear into memory very quickly.

Which is exactly what we got with every setting post-Metru Nui. We got an island shape, some concept art, a few descriptions (maybe) of some local villages or landmarks, and that's it. People act like G1 was this massive story where the landscapes and places had character themselves, but after the first two islands, they were simply settings glossed over to focus on the Toa and villains at the expense of everything else. Were it not for MNOG or the Metru-Nui films, honestly we wouldn't have even had real settings there either. In G1 we got "the scary island of doom, the water island, the cave ceiling, the swamp, and the desert planet". That's about all we got, though Bara Magna did at least give us "we have villages that are giant robot parts apparently and we fight in arenas". Still not seeing much more than what we have now in that.

Sometimes I think people have built up this vision of this grand storytelling adventure in G1 that the reality just doesn't support. We had four books a year, with months in between them where there was no story information. It felt more exciting just by virtue of having Greg to constantly answer ceaseless questions, but nothing really happened in those down times. And even then, we weren't allowed to talk about the books on BZP for stupidly large amounts of time after publishing to avoid spoilers. We were all younger and passionate- things weren't as intense as you remember them being.

Or perhaps I was mostly reffering to Mata-Nui/2001 when I was saying gen 1? Maybe I wasn't entirely clear about things, but sometimes I feel people like you just go around hunting for reasons to say people with different ideas/opinions are wrong.

I never said the original Bionicle was perfect, but at the beginning things were a lot more fleshed out/interesting than they are now. Also nice to see none of my other criticisms are even relevant, so long as you find some way to pull some miniscule satisfaction out of saying one of my points is wrong. I'm not blinded by nostalgia, I'm looking at things realistically, and though later years of Bionicle weren't completely fleshed out, they weren't even part of the point I was trying to make. It's completely idiotic to try and compare one year to ten, so I had hoped it would be implied enough that I was only using the beginning of Bionicle.

Bruh, chillax.

If you were referring to mostly Mata-Nui 2001, then say so. Considering I left that doorway wide open in my post as well, you'd think there's a bit more agreement here than you want to find. Your post generalized as if you were referring to the entirety of G1 compared to three months of G2. Which is unfair and more than a little annoying at this point. If you want to do more than imply, next time, clarify.

That said, you're still off. I didn't bother with the rest of your post because this little nugget summed most of it up pretty well. There simply wasn't much emphasis on culture, society, or even mythology by the time the Metru-Nui sagas ended. We got "this island is DARK AND DANGEROUS!" and then we moved. We got "this island is UNDERWATER" and then we moved. Nary a bit on any culture or society in any of those. I think your criticisms are unfair and I said so. You wrote more than anyone else in this topic- it seemed fair to interact with it.

But for the whole "we had more than this by this point in G1"... we really didn't. We had what, two comic issues? And the bios on BIONICLE.com were not only pretty bare, but not even canon by the time the line really got going (Lewa as the youngest, Onua as the oldest, etc). What we did have was the first chapter of the MNOG, and I think everyone who experienced the beginning of both lines from the start can agree that MNOG was one of the defining aspects of the first line, but outside of the feature films, the only real piece of media that actually immersed us in true world-building and gave us a feel of what life was like and what the culture was like. It's a shame that even the second game failed to do much in the way of cultural immersion and world-building, trading those in for annoying fetch quests that took hours and Kolhii matches.

Look, I loved G1 just as much as everyone else here (I have a kakama tattooed on my shoulder, after all!) It inspired me and changed me and completely altered the trajectory of my life. I'm with you on how it made you feel. It was special. And that feeling, that special, amazing, life-altering feeling, it just doesn't happen that much, and to expect it again from the second iteration, as older persons in different life situations than we were the first time is to misunderstand the way media interacts with our lives. Were it a new theme entirely, built on a different foundation with different expectations, we'd be having different conversations. But that's not how human nature works.

• Upvote 6

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

another thing to consider is that all of the early development work put into this line likely had to be compressed as much as possible (eight or so months, i'd wager) in order to try and avoid it leaking early as much as possible (but it did, and frankly it was inevitable with this community, just a matter of when), whereas Gen 1 had a manner of years for the early story bible to be worked on and developed before handed off to other media companies to start their own stuff (MNOG, Legend of Mata Nui, Tales of the Tohunga, the comics, etc). I'd definitely like to see where Bionicle gets by the end of the year.

Oh, and my vote goes towards "like".

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

I definitely like the sets. Comparing these to my other sets, I am convinced that these are the best representations of the original Toa (well, kinda since it is a different universe and all).

I want to say the story, but there is so little of it out at this time. I'm  going to have to wait for the books to come out before I decide.

• Upvote 2

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

So far I love 2015. I'm not too worried about the lack of a story so far. The books will come and so will the details we all so badly want.

The sets are pretty awesome. The masks are all awesome, even the new miru which a lot of people apparently dislike. The ccbs system works really well and makes them even more like action figures than the sets of the past. Granted I loved the individuality and mechanical look of the pieces from gen 1, but using the ccbs for gen 2 breathes new life into the bionicle world. I think gen 2 has all the same potential as gen 1 did. Can't wait for the skull villains and subsequent animations. Counting down the days till August.

• Upvote 3

:y::m_o::l::m_o:

The artwork and sets are amazing, the story is a bit light right now and the animations are really lacking, but are growing on me now that the Toa are all together, though I really want cg animations again, I loved those so much in gen1.

What I really, really hate about gen2 is the generic 'names' they are giving all characters except the Toa, Ekimu and Makuta. Names for places would be great also. 'protector of fire' and 'region of jungle' doesn't cut it. Would it have killed them or actually hurt sales any to call them 'Vakama' and Le-Koro/Wahi? As a kid, (I was 8 when Bionicle came out), the world building and terminology is what really drew me into the theme, not just the sets-- but everything surrounding them. That's what made Bionicle a gamble for LEGO, they tried to build a world and story with their toys, kind of like what Hasbro did with Transformers. It worked and was awesome so I don't see why they didn't do that again.

I also really hate how silly they are portraying things so far. Gen1 had a more serious/mysterious tone with humor here and there without it feeling out of place.

Edited by ToaDraco
  • Upvote 2

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

I personally love it. It's doing a lot right with the artwork and mystical/mythical atmosphere. I personally love the sets and animations: the sets because they're just amazing builds, and the animations because they're great in quality (although the voice acting can be pretty cringe worthy at times, might have been better to have just narrated the actions and thoughts of the Toa, like a legend being told). The contests and everything else are awesome bonuses

Sometimes the acting can be cheesy, such as Onua's "We must work together" line. The line its self was okay, but the execution could've used work.

SNIP
SNIP
SNIP

Well, it didn't exactly look that way to me. A lot of people are comparing Gen1 as a whole to Gen2 as a whole, so I can definitely see where both of you are coming from.

I see people constantly thinking and saying that G2's story is going to follow the same footsteps as G1's story, which I'd be okay with. But the animation style doesn't exactly make it look that way, but who knows, maybe G2's story will be better than G1's...  :notsure:

I don't think I'd be okay with gen2 following in gen1's footsteps. I saw that story already. It'd done, over. I don't want it back. It was nice, but let's get something new! I want new characters, new islands, new stories, new villains! You know, new ideas that blow your mind when they do a big reveal, new danger that our heroes need to overcome! Gen2 isn't Gen1. Let Gen2 is Gen2.

I'm kinda with you, but I'd love to see something similair to Bionicle's old lines/story return, such as the elders being Toa before (heck, they could've been something else), something similar to the Piraka (if ONLY for the sets. Normally, I don't mind clone sets, but something about the Piraka just annoys me to no end), etc.

I only like the OLD.  Not the new.  Old always seems to be better.

G1 forever!

Agreed!

What can I say G1 was really awesome! :br:

• Upvote 3

If you don't like people that use their head and stand up to bullies, then you may not like me because I deal with bullies head on!  

I voted that yes, I love it, and that includes everything except the animations in my vote. That's not because I don't like the animations, but because that includes the story. It's not to say I don't like what we have of the story so far, but I can't really make a judgement until we've got the books and other stuff.

As for everything else, I think the fact that I even got the one set I thought I wouldn't like and still have tons of fun with it is a pretty good indicator of the winter wave's overall quality. I really like the art style of the animations and the other artwork. The animations' style is simple but efficient, and the rest of the artwork so far reminds me of the really nice art we got back in G1. The contests are also nice, though I'm never really one for entering. I like the Mask Hunt a bit because you have to think outside the box for it.

• Upvote 1

I'm pro-2015. Like others, I'm not concerned that the story will pick up by at least summer if not next year. I really dig the new sets and I really am enjoying the ride as I was super young when Gen 1 premiered/debuted. 

• Upvote 2

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

A little late to the topic, but HECK YEAH! I love Bionicle 2015. Sure, the story leaves something to be desired but the sets are sooooo good. I keep saying this, but they are probably the most solid line of sets the theme has ever seen.

Again, the story needs improvement and I'm not feeling too riveted by it yet. But what we have is decent enough. The sets more than make up for it (for now, story was a huge part of the original line so I hope they start stepping their game up by the summer wave).

-NotS

• Upvote 3

tahubanner.jpg

A little late to the topic, but HECK YEAH! I love Bionicle 2015. Sure, the story leaves something to be desired but the sets are sooooo good. I keep saying this, but they are probably the most solid line of sets the theme has ever seen.

Again, the story needs improvement and I'm not feeling too riveted by it yet. But what we have is decent enough. The sets more than make up for it (for now, story was a huge part of the original line so I hope they start stepping their game up by the summer wave).

-NotS

That's pretty similar to how I feel, but I have a gut feeling that it for sure will be better in the summer and that we'll all be happier  :nodlaugh:

• Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica